Movie/TV awards 2019-2020 thread

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I thought that since we were not allowed to post pictures here meant no videos either? I was wrong. It’s good to know that I can embed anything I want.

Last edited:

screech

I’m not talking about the subject matter; I’m talking about the way the movie was shot. The peach sequence was brilliant. I also feel like the plot was completely unpredictable which is very rare these days.
I just finished watching Parasite, and I'm with you on the plot. Some things just came out of nowhere. The layering was really well done in the story too, and wonderful performances.
While yes, there were some gory things, the way the story was done made you (me) feel for everyone involved. To me, there were no flat out bad guys, though bad things were done.

jenny12

I just finished watching Parasite, and I'm with you on the plot. Some things just came out of nowhere. The layering was really well done in the story too, and wonderful performances.
While yes, there were some gory things, the way the story was done made you (me) feel for everyone involved. To me, there were no flat out bad guys, though bad things were done.

Agreed. Also, I don’t think the movie was especially gory. It wasn’t Quentin Tarantino-esque where you have gleeful violence to the extreme. There were parts of Parasite that were uncomfortable to watch but that was the point.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I read an article about the short films last night. It said that Oscars have not encouraged women and minorities this year but there is a lot of diversity in the short films. Many (in all three Short categories) are about women or by women- Sister, daughter, girls in Kabul, the 14 year old in ‘Brotherhood’, etc. In the short documentaries only one is about the USA and it is about Black lives matter. I am really curious about who wins. It can’t be a wuzrobbed, no matter which film wins. They were that good.

screech

Agreed. Also, I don’t think the movie was especially gory. It wasn’t Quentin Tarantino-esque where you have gleeful violence to the extreme. There were parts of Parasite that were uncomfortable to watch but that was the point.
It wasn't overly gory, but I kind of did think the circumstances of it were kind of Tarantino-esque, in that they seemed to almost come out of nowhere.
The husband coming out, smashing the head, then barging into the party with a huge grin on his face and everyone stabbing each other... definitely shades of Tarantino, or the end of "The Departed" there)

annie720

I read an article about the short films last night. It said that Oscars have not encouraged women and minorities this year but there is a lot of diversity in the short films. Many (in all three Short categories) are about women or by women- Sister, daughter, girls in Kabul, the 14 year old in ‘Brotherhood’, etc. In the short documentaries only one is about the USA and it is about Black lives matter. I am really curious about who wins. It can’t be a wuzrobbed, no matter which film wins. They were that good.

I saw the nominated documentary shorts yesterday and was so glad I did. Each one was unique in its own way, and each one moved me in its own way. Hubby and I both thought that Skateistan was our favorite overall, with St Louis Superman maybe second.

Also, the theater where we saw the shorts had just received the black & white version of Parasite and was showing it yesterday. We were tempted to stay, but after 3 hours of sitting watching the shorts, couldn't convince ourselves to do it.

Last edited:

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I saw the nominated documentary shorts yesterday and was so glad I did. Each one was unique in its own way, and each one moved me in its own way. Hubby and both thought that Skateistan was our favorite overall, with St Louis Superman maybe second.

Also, the theater where we saw the shorts had just received the black & white version of Parasite and was showing it yesterday. We were tempted to stay, but after 3 hours of sitting watching the shorts, couldn't convince ourselves to do it.

I saw the three categories on three different days. I didn’t feel that I could handle them back to back even though the theatre had scheduled them in a way that I could have taken a quick lunch break between the two. Skateistan was my favorite too, but I liked them all.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I am watching the red carpet show. I always enjoy this. The acting Oscars are predictable but other categories should be interesting.

The show begins.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
Janelle Monae I couldn’t even describe to my husband who didn’t know she is. She crosses genres.

genevieve

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger (she/her)
Staff member
The GF has a staff meeting call so am watching without sound for the first hour. I'm tracking my office's Oscars pool - a vacation day is on the line!

jenny12

Lovely speech from Brad Pitt. Touching and thoughtful. Also, yay for Hair Love! Wonderful short film and important message!

peibeck

Simply looking
Meh, I hoped "Memorable" would win. It's an amazing short film about Alzheimers. "Hair Day" was good, but didn't move me as much.

genevieve

Staff member
Kitbull was the only short I'd seen, and it was adorable, so I was rooting for it - as soon as I saw the pieces about other shorts, I knew Hair Love would win. Well done! Can't wait to see it.

Jay42

Between the click of the light
I saw Hair Love on YouTube last week, it's very sweet. I liked it a lot.

Allskate

So happy that Taika Waititi won for JoJo Rabbit. That screenplay was amazing. So was the acting. I know Scarlett Johansson isn't predicted to win, but I hope she does.

genevieve

Staff member
Damn, I swore that I had predicted Jojo Rabbitt, but apparently I wrote down Little Women - which seems like the least likely to have won :wall:

Jay42

Between the click of the light
Damn, I swore that I had predicted Jojo Rabbitt, but apparently I wrote down Little Women - which seems like the least likely to have won :wall:
A lot of the stuff I was seeing was saying that if it wasn't Taika Waititi it would have been Greta Gerwig so you weren't too far off the potential.

Jojo Rabbit comes out on bluray in a couple of weeks and I'm very excited to finally see it.

screech

While Brad Pitt's win was expected, his speech was everything: political, comedic and emotional.
IIRC first time all awards season he mentioned his kids. It was rumoured that the reason he missed the BAFTAs last week was because Maddox requested to see him, so maybe (hopefully) things are improving there?

Good law, what is Idina Menzel wearing? :scream:
Looked like it was falling off of her. I really liked the multiple languages. Well done there!! Also Josh Gad's reference to Travolta.

So happy for Parasite and Jojo! IIRC it's the first time a foreign film has ever won a screenplay award. And I now fully expect all promotional material for Thor 4 to reference Oscar wins.

Janelle was AMAZING. As were Steve and Chris. Some of these introductions (like Kelly Marie Tran) are kind of awkward though.

Also, did Leo actually bring his girlfriend as his date? He normally brings his mom, hasn't brought a girlfriend (IIRC) since Gisele. Must be pretty serious about this 20 year old...

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Really stupid jokes by those two women in red. Drove me crazy. Ridiculous long speeches by these two.

Somewhat disappointed that ‘Neighbor’s window’ won the Best live action short when there were at least two or three better movies from other countries.

ilovepaydays

It’s an absolute shame that One Child Nation wasn’t even nominated for Best Documentary. It was insanely incredible.

Allskate

Meh. Laura Dern's character and performance were my least favorite part of "Marriage Story." It seemed almost like a caricature. But, I did think Adam Driver and Scarlett Johansson were great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information