Medvedeva and Pogorilaya on the Russian late night talk show

IceAlisa

discriminating and persnickety ballet aficionado
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdt0r5rPu54

Here are the highlights. The host, Ivan Urgant, starts out by quoting Ilya Averbukh that all the gold, silver and bronze in figure skating should belong to Russia always. Then he introduces Med and Pogo, the ladies who have begun taking back what's rightfully Russian. I think there's a certain tongue in cheek here, or so I hope.

The girls come out and he wants to see their medals. He immediately says that the medals aren't attractive, small and the ribbon is sort of meh. American made clearly doesn't impress him. He then asks the girls if they have prettier medals in their collection, clarifying that he is talking about the looks of the medal, not the value. Med says right away that that this here World gold medal is her favorite. :)

Then they talk about the two of them striking the pose from Pogo's Shecherezade program on the Worlds podium. Apparently they did it at Euros because the music accent happened to be well timed: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CZ698VGWkAAfM_6.jpg and then did it again at Worlds (picture shown during the show.) The host first thinks Ashley is a one of the medal presenters and when they tell him she is the silver medalist, he responds with, well doesn't she look silly next to you guys. Russia ruh ruh ruh.

He asked them how well they know each other's programs and Pogo does the surprised face from the opening of Med's FS.

Also, they both have been doing their own hair and makeup since the age of 10.

Then they talk about Med having to take exams soon--she is still in 9th grade--and Pogo celebrating her 18th birthday. They all wish Pogo a happy birthday.

Last edited:

Cachoo

Is is common in the Russian press and perhaps on some of these shows to elevate Russian skaters by condemning those from other countries? I remember bits and pieces of different interviews by "journalists" who are far more catty than the person they are interviewing.

IceAlisa

I don't know. I am disappointed to see Urgant do it though. I realize he is supposed to be making jokes throughout the show but what he said wasn't terribly funny or witty IMO.

And now, considering how Haguenauer's words were allegedly twisted wrt Stepanova/Bukin, it's all very unpleasant, to say the least.

Are the world medals made in the US? Just curious. Because his point was to diss "made in America." I doubt anything he owes is made in Russia, just to be clear.

Japanfan

Then he introduces Med and Pogo, the ladies who have begun taking back what's rightfully Russian. I think there's a certain tongue in cheek here, or so I hope.

Otherwise the statement comes across as entirely arrogant. Russia does not have a tradition on which to base a claim that it is the rightful home of lady champion - as it arguably has for pairs.

sdelic

For the matter of truth the medals are made in Switzerland and they look exactly the same for all ISU Championships (Figure Skating, Speed Skating, Short Track and Synchro). They have been designed decades ago and have always been supplied by the ISU to respective ISU Championship organizers.

reut

Is is common in the Russian press and perhaps on some of these shows to elevate Russian skaters by condemning those from other countries? I remember bits and pieces of different interviews by "journalists" who are far more catty than the person they are interviewing.

I'd say yes, especially for anything/anyone American, they have a long history of "love" with States, which in recent years is especially "hot".

Last days I saw Zhenia and Anna visiting a lot of TV/radio programs on various Russian channels. Good for them, but I was a bit surprised. Last year Russia got "same" medals: gold and bronze, and I don't remember such excitement about Liza and Elena back then (but maybe I missed indeed? or maybe they got better PR person this season :) )

Last edited:

reut

Other recent interviews with Anna and Zhenia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfJRxXM5N_I - "Russia 24"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXBaHcvjXaY - Anna, at radio "Mayak"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxb7BfGrYms - Zhenia, at "Sport FM"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2NAl3U0i1A - Anna and Zhenia at the morning TV show, "Russia" channel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnOjw6vCpu4 - Матч ТВ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oymzY02Gsvg - radio of "Комсомольская правда"

quiqie

Urgant is poking fun at Averbukh with the first joke (IIRC, he says smth like: "All gold, silver, and bronze in figure skating should go to Russia, as Ilya Averbukh says entering every restaurant or cafe at every railroad station" which I think is supposed to mean "Averbukh makes money taking Russian champion skaters on tours and it's in his best interests that Russia has more champions" or smth like that. Which is pretty lame, but not half as bad as some posters here suggested.)
Second joke is poking fun at Zhenya and Anya: "Look at the one person who is doing actually what she is supposed to be doing during a medal ceremony. Doesn't she look silly next to your kindergarten antics?" Again, not his best effort, but the interpretations take it on whole another level.
ETA: Just finished reading the replies. Sorry to say, Urgant is not the idiot here.

Last edited:

Xela M

Urgant is poking fun at Averbukh with the first joke (IIRC, he says smth like: "All gold, silver, and bronze in figure skating should go to Russia, as Ilya Averbukh says entering every restaurant or cafe at every railroad station" which I think is supposed to mean "Averbukh makes money taking Russian champion skaters on tours and it's in his best interests that Russia has more champions" or smth like that. Which is pretty lame, but not half as bad as some posters here suggested.)
Second joke is poking fun at Zhenya and Anya: "Look at the one person who is doing actually what she is supposed to be doing during a medal ceremony. Doesn't she look silly next to your kindergarten antics?" Again, not his best effort, but the interpretations take it on whole another level.
ETA: Just finished reading the replies. Sorry to say, Urgant is not the idiot here.

He starts by saying: "As you all very well know, Russia is finally taking back everything that belongs to Russia by right." He then repeats it again for emphasis.

:rolleyes: no double meaning in that of course

quiqie

I think "В огороде - бузина, а в Киеве дядька" would be more relevant :)

Elkmaria

This is a trick Urgant uses quite often: he starts off by saying something pompous to the point of stupidity, and then goes on to mock his own pompous statement, as in the Averbuch joke that quiqie referred to above. If one is not familiar with this trick, one may be shocked by the initial statement, and then relieved and entertained to learn that it was just tongue in cheek, and maybe a parody, because I can totally imagine some Russian commentators to say something like "Russia is finally taking back everything that belongs to Russia by right" and actually mean it. However, this interview was not a highlight on Urgant's part IMO, I found the jokes rather flat. Evgenia and Anna were both absolutely stunning, though:encore:

StitchMonkey

I'd say yes, especially for anything/anyone American, they have a long history of "love" with States, which in recent years is especially "hot".

Last days I saw Zhenia and Anna visiting a lot of TV/radio programs on various Russian channels. Good for them, but I was a bit surprised. Last year Russia got "same" medals: gold and bronze, and I don't remember such excitement about Liza and Elena back then (but maybe I missed indeed? or maybe they got better PR person this season :) )

I was wondering that a bit too.

It seemed that Liza got some attention but Elena got none. I am not surprised that Zhenia is getting attention as she is the champion - and it being a bit different than Liza also is not that surprising as she is much younger and as a different story. It is interesting how Anna fits in. I am guessing either Anna is more comfortable with the attention (possibly due to age) so it helps Zhenia to have her there to take some pressure off her. Or it is just that they finally realized Anna is gorgeous and highly marketable so they want to take advantage of that.

zebraswan

Anna & Evgenia are very close friends from the same club Sambo-70, so the fact that they shared this experience is an interesting talking point, I think. Kind of like Javier & Yuzuru's friendship/rivalry, although these girls are close outside of the rink, too (Evgenia was at Anna's birthday party, for example).

Ka3sha

I was wondering that a bit too.

It seemed that Liza got some attention but Elena got none. I am not surprised that Zhenia is getting attention as she is the champion - and it being a bit different than Liza also is not that surprising as she is much younger and as a different story. It is interesting how Anna fits in. I am guessing either Anna is more comfortable with the attention (possibly due to age) so it helps Zhenia to have her there to take some pressure off her. Or it is just that they finally realized Anna is gorgeous and highly marketable so they want to take advantage of that.
I think it's easier - they both are from Sambo school and Sambo is great in terms of PR :)

AYS

🌻
Agree that the fact that they're friends who made the podium together is a big part of this story. They are both absolutely adorable in that interview, which I guess may be more enjoyable to watch if you don't understand what he's saying, based on comments here. ;)

IceAlisa

@quiqie I did think he was sarcastic with the Averbukh remarks but why did he mention the "American-made" unattractive medals? 1. They are Swiss-made, it turns out and 2. it's not exactly respectful to the skaters who won them. Medvedeva clearly likes hers. 3. Not funny. It does however, go with the whole America bad, Russia good narrative we see a lot lately. Is he jumping on that bandwagon or is he mocking it? I'd like to think the latter but who knows.

WRT to the podium antics, it seemed to me that he thought it was a cute prank on Anna and Evgenia's part, not "kindergarten behavior." But of course this is totally open to interpretation.

Last edited:

Cachoo

Well there are often things lost in translation and it sounds like this could have been interpreted in a couple of ways. I think I was turned off based on something that happened so long ago and perhaps I should have put that to rest in my mind. It was an interview with Maria and Maria seemed thoughtful while the interviewer was not remotely kind to Kwan. And there was the crowd that celebrated when Sasha made mistakes in her long at the Olympics. I thought it was gauche and tacky. But the thing is the actual winners are wonderful girls as far as I can tell and that is who I will focus on from now on. I was hoping the old USSR/USA rivalry was over but even looking at the news today it is still happening. What can you do?

IceAlisa

It's not a matter of translation. It's a matter of reading into the remarks.

zebraswan

@quiqie I did think he was sarcastic with the Averbukh remarks but why did he mention the "American-made" unattractive medals? 1. They are Swiss-made, it turns out and 2. it's not exactly respectful to the skaters who won them. 3. Not funny. Medvedeva clearly likes hers. It does however, go with the whole America bad, Russia good narrative we see a lot lately. Is he jumping on that bandwagon or is he mocking it? I'd like to think the latter but who knows.

Well, it's no different in the US, except the positions are reversed (you have to look no further than this forum to find examples). Do you honestly think American talk show hosts are complimentary toward Russia? I don't see the point in getting upset over something so petty...and I don't know of any comedian who has a 100% success rate with their jokes, either.

Nomad

Celebrity cheese-monger
Well, it's no different in the US, except the positions are reversed (you have to look no further than this forum to find examples). Do you honestly think American talk show hosts are complimentary toward Russia? I don't see the point in getting upset over something so petty...and I don't know of any comedian who has a 100% success rate with their jokes, either.
Which American talk show hosts are talking about Russia?

Cachoo

Which American talk show hosts are talking about Russia?

I would have a big problem with any American hosts taking swipes at Med or Pogo. And if it happens I hope it is posted here so we can respond. Putin? Not so much. And if their media takes aim at Obama or any candidates? Not so much. Politics/politiks whatever. But to make fun or light of a skater because of her nationality? Totally, totatlly unacceptable. Zebraswan if you have seen this let us know.

IceAlisa

This forum and a TV show? Totally the same thing. It seems to me you don't follow the Russian media much, otherwise you wouldn't be making these comparisons. Yes, of course everyone roots for their country but the Russian media with rare exceptions, has been taking this to a whole new level. Or the whole old level if you recall the Cold War. Apparently the language of today's publications is indistinguishable from that of say, Pravda in the 70's or early 80's.

No one expects a comedian to be funny a 100% of the time, just occasionally. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information