Just call me Harry. (Everything Harry & Meghan)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Well, he won't have to worry about the uniform any longer unless Andrew gets to wear one and Harry does not at his brother/father's coronation which will be over a year away and they'll need new stuff on them anyway. Plenty of time for new grievances to be aired. Harry needs a Festivus pole.

millyskate

They might need a new PR firm now that Sunshine Sachs have confirmed they are no longer on their books, so maybe one of you could get in there ;)
Interesting. It may be that their far more successful appearances as of late are partly thanks to better counsel.

As for Harry’s uniform debacle, I must say I was disappointed at the fuss and pettiness of removing the ER from his uniform. It sounds like the work of bitter bureaucrats rather than Charles but it was unnecessary and hurtful, whoever was behind it.

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
Interesting. It may be that their far more successful appearances as of late are partly thanks to better counsel.

As for Harry’s uniform debacle, I must say I was disappointed at the fuss and pettiness of removing the ER from his uniform. It sounds like the work of bitter bureaucrats rather than Charles but it was unnecessary and hurtful, whoever was behind it.
No where does it say that Harry said he was upset. Instead "it was reported" which may or may not be true. But I suspect someone was petty enough to do this before the funeral just to stick it to Harry. I can't believe it's protocol to remove it before the funeral.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
When the Queen started pulling out of so many of her Jubilee events I knew the end was near because some of those events I don't believe she would have ever pulled out of simple because she was tired and needed her rest. She was well on her way to 100.
I agree with this. I am sure they were all aware this could happen and there was a plan in place for when it looked like the end was near. Some people seem to expect them to have sat around waiting for a phone call instead of going on with their lives and fulfilling their obligations. The only thing that probably surprised them was that the time from when "the end is near" call was made and the Queen dying was shorter than expected. This happens.

Working parents often miss milestones - like first steps or loss of first teeth. Everyone survives.
Digression: my attitude was that the first time I saw it was the first time. I mean even stay-at-home parents don't know if their kids did something before they noticed it. And babies don't have a concept of "this is my first time doing this so if one or both of my parents aren't here, it's a tragedy that will scar me for life." It's something the parents decide how important it is to them.

Where it apparently gets sticky is that Andrew still had his, because the regulations stipulate that if the rank was awarded before a certain date (1988ish?) it is kept for life, whether you are currently holding the rank or not. So it was all done “by the book,” it just looks like another example of where an exception was made for Andrew but not Harry.
Or an example of how the whole monarchy is absurd and obsessed with stupid details and rules that make no sense and should be abolished.

So I should edit his camp to his camp and/or royal servants looking for some extra pocket change ;)
He would still have to express how devastated and heartbroken he was in their presence though right?
It's probably all made up by media for clicks IMO. They do that all the time.

Barbara Manatee

As for Harry’s uniform debacle, I must say I was disappointed at the fuss and pettiness of removing the ER from his uniform.
It depends on the details - were the initials removed from an old uniform (petty) or not added to a new one (fair)? It is likely Harry didn't bring his own along on his trip and had to get one issued last minute. I saw a news blurb about the military tailors working overtime making sure every uniform was exactly right, because they were determined that everything to do with the funeral be precise and correct.

taf2002

It depends on the details - were the initials removed from an old uniform (petty) or not added to a new one (fair)? It is likely Harry didn't bring his own along on his trip and had to get one issued last minute. I saw a news blurb about the military tailors working overtime making sure every uniform was exactly right, because they were determined that everything to do with the funeral be precise and correct.
He could have had his uniform flown over to him. There's been plenty of time. If it's a new one I understnd why they wouldn't include the ER patch but it wouldn't have hurt them to add CR. After all Charles is not some distant relative, he's Harry's dad

Prancer

Chitarrista
Staff member
Yes, this. There have been a steady stream of articles all week about how he and Meghan are “furious” about this and “heartbroken” about that and “offended” by this. I wonder if perhaps at some point he will realize this week isn’t actually about him?

Edited to add: either that, or someone in their camp/PR team is not doing them any favours with all these leaks and they need to shut that down.
I don't read a lot of stories about Harry and Meghan, but I do see a lot of headlines and so many of those headlines are contradictory (and often ridiculous) that I just assume most if not all of the stories are entirely made up or are blown completely out of proportion.

There are clearly plenty of people who have agendas, within both the royal family and the press. And while that includes Harry and Meghan, it certainly doesn't exclude a whole lot of other people.
Digression: my attitude was that the first time I saw it was the first time. I mean even stay-at-home parents don't know if their kids did something before they noticed it. And babies don't have a concept of "this is my first time doing this so if one or both of my parents aren't here, it's a tragedy that will scar me for life." It's something the parents decide how important it is to them.
I read something once about some parents asked their nanny to not tell them when their child had a first, so that when the parents saw it, it WOULD be the first for all they knew, and I thought that was a good plan.
It's probably all made up by media for clicks IMO. They do that all the time.
It is interesting to me that people give so much credence to tabloid stories.

Matter of protocol = emergency, we MUST remove patch immediately!
Heh. I read a book by one of Charles' valets many years ago and he said that the absolute worst part of his job was making sure that correct medals were correctly placed on all of Charles' uniforms for ceremonies because if he made a mistake, someone would be mortally offended and there would be hell to pay.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
I want to do PR and leak stuff now. It sounds exciting.
It’s dangerous and scary if you are deliberately putting info out there that some powers-that-be don’t want out there. And of course in DC most leaks further a political agenda.

The most famous habitual leaked was Henry Kissinger who even as Secretary of State was named as “a senior official on Dr Kissinger’s plane.”

once_upon

Better off now than 4 years ago? Have TP now
It is a matter of protocol; somewhere today I saw a post that quoted the relevant regulations. It was strictly by the book, not a petty slap at Harry.

Matter of protocol = emergency, we MUST remove patch immediately!
My guess is that it is a matter of protocol and not a slight or calling out of Harry's status or station.

No way would I want to be a royal valet or royal dresser. Someone, somewhere is bound to notice something wrong with royal uniform attire.

screech

After the funeral I've read comments berating Meghan for having bare arms (despite having a cloak-style dress and long gloves), whereas I haven't seen comments about Edward's daughter Lady Louise literally wearing short sleeves (a dress I really liked, actually).

I've read comments that Meghan's hat was too big (despite that Kate's was the same size), and that she was disrespectful by not wearing a mourning veil (despite that most royal women did not)

Comments that her lack of 'flashy' jewellery was a snub and an attempt to pull focus

Comments that her tears were fake and a plea for attention (despite that the Queen was apparently always very kind to her)

Whatever one's thoughts are on Meghan (and Harry), she's in a 'can't win' situation a lot of the time. She would have been berated if she didn't cry (she's so heartless!), if she had worn more jewels (she's trying to outshine the others), if she' had worn a veil (it's like she thinks she's in a movie), etc.

Last edited:

clairecloutier

Allskate

The former counterterrorism head of the U.K. Metropolitan Police says that there were serious and credible threats against Meghan's life when she was living in Britain:
It really is appalling how Meghan and Harry were treated, including the denial of adequate security. I can see how it would not only frighten Harry but hurt and anger him, too. He can't win, though. If he asks for protection, some of the attacks just seem to get worse.

taf2002

If this is what happens in public, it makes you wonder what goes on behind the scenes:

She probably should have been ousted during the Meghan years. I can't believe that she never said unacceptable things when H&M lived in the UK. But I'm not surprised it became unacceptable only after Meghan was not the target anymore.

once_upon

Better off now than 4 years ago? Have TP now
I dont find it difficult to believe that she was not ousted earlier. When someone is like the best friend or considered a family member of someone like the Queen, they are very careful when making another family member a target. Careful enough to not be heard by the Queen or other members of the royal family.

When you make statements that so and so is harassing you, because the Queen (or whoever) does not believe you because they didn't witness it or hear it themselves.

My father on law was extremely careful to only make horrific remarks or actions when no one else was around. Of course I wouldn't be believed - no one else witnessed it. I suspect it's true in Meghan's situation.

Allskate

She probably should have been ousted during the Meghan years. I can't believe that she never said unacceptable things when H&M lived in the UK. But I'm not surprised it became unacceptable only after Meghan was not the target anymore.

I dont find it difficult to believe that she was not ousted earlier. When someone is like the best friend or considered a family member of someone like the Queen, they are very careful when making another family member a target. Careful enough to not be heard by the Queen or other members of the royal family.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if this woman said racist things in private where at least some of the royals heard it or heard about it. She was saying these things in public recently, so she doesn't seem the type to even think that what she was saying was would be considered unacceptable by others or by the royal family.

I think the royals probably just didn't care that this woman said racist things in private, including about Meghan. If she had said racist things about Meghan in public, they probably would have claimed, in some mild mannered way, to care. They couldn't claim it didn't happen. But, Meghan saying that someone from the royal family said something racist in private was upsetting to them not because it happened but because the public was told about it. They seemed fine letting people accuse Meghan of lying or being disloyal by actually having the nerve to discuss and complain about it publicly. William's response was to say that the royal family was not racist, not to say how terrible it was that Meghan had experienced this or to express concern about his nephew or racism more generally.

I don't think King Charles or Prince William plan to really take on racism within the family or the palace.

ballettmaus

I may be misremembering but I thought it was more or less established that the racism against Meghan didn't come from the Queen and Harry and the Queen were still close? If Harry and the Queen were still close then I'm not sure if the staff member made racist comments in such a way that other members of the royal family would have heard about it. I think people like her who are not only racist but have also been in the service of the Queen for decades can be very calculating and know when they can make comments and when they need to be careful. I don't think Harry and the Queen would have been still close if the Queen had been protecting this staff member.

Allskate

I may be misremembering but I thought it was more or less established that the racism against Meghan didn't come from the Queen and Harry and the Queen were still close?
I don't think the racism Meghan complained about came from the Queen, but that doesn't mean that the Queen was not aware of racism in the family or palace. Charles and Elizabeth both seemed to have the attitude that they had to deal with crap things and suck it up, so the younger royals do, too. It's not that they necessarily are happy with racism but may just see it as one more thing to deal with and that, at all costs, protect the royal family image. (Also, I wonder how much Elizabeth really was running things in her later years.) It's a very dysfunctional family. There's no way that Charles was not aware of the threats to Meghan's safety. I don't think that Charles wants someone to kill Meghan or Harry or their kids, but he still was not willing to take the steps that would help protect them. It's a very strange kind of fatherly love. No wonder Harry has mental health issues.

ballettmaus

I don't think the racism Meghan complained about came from the Queen, but that doesn't mean that the Queen was not aware of racism in the family or palace.
Other than signaling that she thinks it's wrong, I don't think there is much the Queen could have done about racism within the family. If there was overt racism coming from the staff and the Queen knew who it was coming from specifically but did nothing, would Harry still have maintained a close relationship with his grandmother? That is the point of view I was looking at it from. Given what he has said, it doesn't make much sense to me if he had not put at least some of the blame on the Queen in that case as she would have been an enabler.

There's no way that Charles was not aware of the threats to Meghan's safety. I don't think that Charles wants someone to kill Meghan or Harry or their kids, but he still was not willing to take the steps that would help protect them. It's a very strange kind of fatherly love. No wonder Harry has mental health issues.
I'm a bit fuzzy about how much the royal family themselves can do and how much is up to parliament. With that said, I think the family is taking the political neutrality or whatever they call it too far. There are matters when breaking their silence and taking sides is warranted. Speaking out against racism would be one of those matters. Speaking out on matters of security may be another one of those matters but I find it difficult to judge the security matter.
I'm not under the impression that Meghan and Harry weren't adequately protected while they were still members of the royal family. Now, it would be decided on a case by case basis. I have no idea how long in advance Harry and Meghan will be notified of the security measures they would be provided with and I understand that the idea of possibly insufficient protection makes Harry uncomfortable. But since we never really had a situation like that up until now, I don't think we can say whether the security provided would be sufficient or not and if whoever is responsible for making those decisions is making the right ones.

taf2002

ballettmaus said:
I'm not under the impression that Meghan and Harry weren't adequately protected while they were still members of the royal family.

One area that they weren't protected was against the constant bullying from the press, esp Meghan. We've seen incidents where the Palace shut the press down. The nude pictures of Kate is one example. All news agencies could have been threatened with no access to the royals if it continued.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Given what he has said, it doesn't make much sense to me if he had not put at least some of the blame on the Queen in that case as she would have been an enabler.
People are irrational. If he loves his Grandmother, he may make excuses for her as long as she is not directly racist to him or his family.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information