Just call me Harry. (Everything Harry & Meghan)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ballettmaus

He's also the same guy who predicted the mid-term elections better than the network talking heads. He's pretty good at what he does.
And was then attacked/discredited on Twitter because he predicted a two-seat D House majority. (With a new model, mind you, that he hadn't included gerrymandering in). 'Cause everyone else was so much closer with their 30something R majority. :rolleyes: Looks like some people don't like competition.

I don't agree with him about Kate and William, I think they and Harry and Meghan all look about the same age and I don't like when people feel the need to stoop to the same level as the people they're criticizing. If you want to make a point, you're probably going to make it better when you do it without name-calling.
But he seems to be a very smart tech-guy.

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
I watched the documentary and now I see that Jeremy Clarkson has had a column published in The Sun to prove everything that was said about the British tabloids in the documentary.

Continuing, the Clarkson’s Farm star said that at night, he’s ‘unable to sleep’ as thoughts about Meghan consume his mind.

‘At night, I’m unable to sleep as I lie there, grinding my teeth and dreaming of the day when she is made to parade naked through the streets of every town in Britain while the crowds chant, “Shame!” and throw lumps of excrement at her,’ he shockingly wrote.

:scream:

matti

I watched the documentary and now I see that Jeremy Clarkson has had a column published in The Sun to prove everything that was said about the British tabloids in the documentary.

:scream:
That was disgusting, even though it might have been a horrible kind of attempt on sarcasm?

But the "documentary" part. Shouldn't documentaries deal exclusively with facts and real-life events, objectively? Was this PR feature TV series a real documentary? I think not.

We did not need this rip-off to tell us about vile British tabloids or Jeremy Clarkson...

Last edited:

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
That was disgusting, even though it might have been a horrible kind of attempt on sarcasm?

But the "documentary" part. Shouldn't documentaries deal exclusively with facts and real-life events, objectively? Was this PR feature TV series a real documentary? I think not.

We did not need this rip-off to tell us about vile British tabloids or Jeremy Clarkson...
Obviously the documentary series was heavily slanted towards Harry and Meghan’s point of view as it was produced by them, but it did use facts and real-life events. There is no definition that I am aware of that says a documentary has to be 100% objective.

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
The most surprising thing for me that came out of this series is that H&M never used the word privacy in their step-down announcements. I've seen many mean comments online about them asking for privacy & then having a public life. I'm not going back to verify this but if true it really proves the distortion by the media.

SHARPIE

fsuniverse.COM (finally)
Staff member
I was just coming on to rant about Jeremy Clarkson and the fact that I read that he and Piers Morgan (who also froths about Meghan in a disturbing manner) were apparently at a lunch event hosted by Camilla this week.

I watched the documentary, I enjoyed it and it was quite fun in places. I took some things said as a pinch of salt but not now. Who on earth thinks of something so disturbing as someone being forced to parade naked and be pelted with shit? I’ve told my husband (who is a fan of old Top Gear re runs) that nothing with Clarkson is allowed on in this house when I’m here. I’m raging 🤬🤬🤬

manhn

I enjoyed it too! Just the more domestic stuff, how they met, how they grew their family, and what they do on a daily basis. Gotta say that I would have loved them staying in BC and follow what they do, what coffee shops they visit, etc.

Also, Tyler Perry seems like a cool dude and Meghan’s mom seems fabulous.

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
Just an fyi that his claim of what he thinks about as he lies awake at night is a scene from Game of Thrones where Queen Cersei does a walk of atonement, exactly as he describes.

I think it's more troubling he rates Meghan worse than serial killer Rose West ... but not surprised, I have seen Top Gear and he gave off misogynist vibes back then.

Spikefan

Rooting for that middle-aged team
I liked the documentary and their love story. The tabloids and trading for stories is just abhorrent. There is enough crap within family strife and the thought of then involving tabloid vultures is :yikes:. Glad they are out and to see who Camilla is consorting with tells it all. Diana never stood a chance but Harry and Meghan do, thankful Harry could see it.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Obviously the documentary series was heavily slanted towards Harry and Meghan’s point of view as it was produced by them, but it did use facts and real-life events. There is no definition that I am aware of that says a documentary has to be 100% objective.
All documentaries have a POV. It's impossible to create anything without a POV anyway even a documentary. There are plenty of documentaries that were created in order to bring about a certain outcome. They are still documentaries.

What I don't understand is why these men are so obsessed with Meghan to the point that they lay awake at night thinking about her. Don't they realize this makes them seem demented and in need of counseling?

MLIS

I was just coming on to rant about Jeremy Clarkson and the fact that I read that he and Piers Morgan (who also froths about Meghan in a disturbing manner) were apparently at a lunch event hosted by Camilla this week.
Minor point, which in no way takes away from how vile both Clarkson and Morgan are, but I think Camilla was just a guest at that lunch, not the organizer or hostess.

Judy

I watched the documentary, I enjoyed it and it was quite fun in places. I took some things said as a pinch of salt but not now. Who on earth thinks of something so disturbing as someone being forced to parade naked and be pelted with shit? I’ve told my husband (who is a fan of old Top Gear re runs) that nothing with Clarkson is allowed on in this house when I’m here. I’m raging 🤬🤬🤬
Ohhhhhh I was reading about that. Wtf???

I loved hearing from her mom. She rocks. I felt the same at their wedding.

VGThuy

If I were to give Clarkson some benefit of the doubt, I think he was being sarcastic in a way that was like "Meghan and Harry think we pundits and commentators have been so obsessed and harsh with them...you know they're right. In fact, I'm so consumed by my hatred of Meghan that...."

However, even with that generous reading, there's somethings that are very revealing. He only chose to target Meghan in his attack, not Harry. He expressed very real "concern" over the younger generation of girls finding Meghan "cool". And even under the safe guise/shield/blanket of sarcasm, it sometimes make the speaker feel safer and freer to speak true thoughts. He wants Meghan shamed some way and somehow. Maybe not on the level of Cersei, but he wants it to happen. Plus, equating her with a serial killer gives him an out to say he was obviously being hyperbolic, but he chose to conflate her with that image. Either way, he holds her in very little esteem and that is very clear.

And of course the documentary was made with a slant in Harry/Meghan's favor. All documentaries are basically editorials based on facts and testimonials to push some perspective or some message it wants to convey. Even the most hands-off documentarians will make editorial choices in the editing room to comply with their broader overall message. In some ways, documentaries can be more powerful and more dangerous than fiction in terms of telling a story meant to get you on or off a particular subject's side.

Knowing that, if one chooses to watch Harry and Meghan's doc, just go in it hearing their "truth" or their message and take that altogether with all the facts to come up with your own conclusions if you care that much about what the "truth" is. A documentary is NEVER supposed to be the only or sole source you rely on to form your own conclusions, and, besides, real life is always more complicated and nuanced than what a news reports, relayed stories from sources, biographies, and dramatized accounts will ever capture.

Last edited:

Judy

All documentaries have a POV. It's impossible to create anything without a POV anyway even a documentary. There are plenty of documentaries that were created in order to bring about a certain outcome. They are still documentaries.

What I don't understand is why these men are so obsessed with Meghan to the point that they lay awake at night thinking about her. Don't they realize this makes them seem demented and in need of counseling?
No kidding. I’m in agreement about the men here. Insane.

Allskate

The most surprising thing for me that came out of this series is that H&M never used the word privacy in their step-down announcements. I've seen many mean comments online about them asking for privacy & then having a public life. I'm not going back to verify this but if true it really proves the distortion by the media.

I think that there is a big difference between wanting "privacy" and wanting people to stay away from their home and not stalk them in the way that Diana (and later Harry and Meghan) were stalked. Also, wanting to not have letters and e-mails (especially those encouraged by the royal family) publicly published and leaked seems different, too. They want (and wanted) to do the official work for the royal family, which is public. But, they didn't want to be constantly hounded, lied about, endangered, and commoditized by the tabloids and by some of their own family members.

Also, Tyler Perry seems like a cool dude and Meghan’s mom seems fabulous.
Tyler Perry seems wonderful. It was so nice of him to give Harry and Meghan a safe place to stay when Charles withdrew security while they were in danger and their location was public knowledge. I knew that Charles made the decision to withdraw their security, but now it is clearer that he did it at a particularly terrible time. It really does seem like horrible payback or controlling behavior. I dislike Charles even more now. I absolutely do not accept the idea that Charles should provide security only if M & H kept the same roles. Even if I didn't think the royal family had played such a big role in creating the danger, I would believe this. Harry was born into some degree of danger. Most parents would want to protect their children if they could regardless of the cause. I feel terrible for Harry that his only remaining parent is like this.

Meghan's mom does seem lovely. The only nice one in their immediate families. Both dads seem awful, but I thought they seemed bad before I watched the show. I think William is the one who I lost the most respect for as a result of watching the Netflix show.

The worst thing about that column is that an editor and possibly several other people approved its publication.

And that the editors approved it because they clearly thought that their readers would eat it up. That's part of what made me so sad watching the show. So many people seem to want to believe the ugliness and spread ugliness in various ways.

Harry said that his brother and father believe what they want to believe. That is sad, too. Do they believe what they want to believe because they are in line for the throne? Because it is bad stories about them that are being squashed while feeding the tabloids ugly stories about Meghan? Because they don't see the benefit of Meghan to the royal family in so much of the Commonwealth and only care about what she can offer them and not her humanity?

This whole idea that, if other people in the family had to endure tabloid ugliness and endangerment, then so does Meghan is so perverse. If someone was abused, does that mean that their kids have to put up with abuse, too? If one person was killed as a result of the paparazzi thirst does that mean that another royal family member and his wife have to be abused and endangered by the paparazzi and tabloids? It's so sick. This attitude by some Brits that they are entitled to so much access and even abuse of M and H is also really bizarre and sad.

Last edited:

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
There has been clarification about when Charles actually stopped supporting Harry financially. The impression people got from the Oprah interview was not accurate.

I think we can be sympathetic to Harry and Meghan but still fact check some of their assertions. They wouldn't be the first people to retell a story in a manner that is more flattering to their POV.

ballettmaus

^I don't think it says much that we didn't know already. I also feel that there are things we're missing, as in, is this really all there is to the story? If it is then it looks like Charles is so stuck in the old ways that he couldn't even make an exception for his son and his wife. If that is the case, then I'd probably have moved halfway around the world as well.
As a child who has always received unconditional love from her parents, it's really hard for me to imagine that a father would act the way Charles looks like he acted. (Eg, choosing some obscure protocol (or whatever it's called) over his son and daughter-in-law).

Tesla

Whippet Good

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
My sympathy lies with Meghan.

I actually think Harry is a lot and I totally related to Williams statement "I've put my arm around my brother all our lives. I can't do it any more".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information