Judy Garland Fans

Alex Forrest

Banned Member
I didn't see a listing of the movies. I had to go to IMDB to see that she DID more than ten movies (starred in, I don't count the 'Dear Mr. Gable' as a movie credit). I hope they show "The Clock" because she wasn't being the ugly girl with the spirit and great voice that it seemed she always had to play in the Andy Hardy movies. I will probably watch. For such a talent, she didn't do that many films.

julieann

I didn't see a listing of the movies. I had to go to IMDB to see that she DID more than ten movies (starred in, I don't count the 'Dear Mr. Gable' as a movie credit). I hope they show "The Clock" because she wasn't being the ugly girl with the spirit and great voice that it seemed she always had to play in the Andy Hardy movies. I will probably watch. For such a talent, she didn't do that many films.

Don't forget she also was on TV, stage, and did concerts and albums during the 33 years from her first movie to her death at 47. With all going on doing over 20 movies is pretty respectable.

She should have also won the Oscar over Grace Kelly.

TCM will have more than enough material to show.

skatesindreams

My favorites of her more dramatic performances are "The Clock" and "Judgement at Nuremberg."
In addition to being one of the best live performers, ever; she was a wonderful actress.

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
She did a great performance in A Star is Born too. But her not getting the Oscar for Judgement at Nuremberg was a travesty.

VALuvsMKwan

Codger level achieved
She did a great performance in A Star is Born too. But her not getting the Oscar for Judgement at Nuremberg was a travesty.

I'd say that not getting it for "A Star is Born" was even more of one. :mad: That was industry politics at its best for Grace Kelly, under contract to MGM and doing one film for them and 3 for Paramount (including "The Country Girl", for which she received the Oscar over both Judy and Dorothy Dandridge's "Carmen Jones"). :eek: Quantity over quality.

Beyond that, Jack Warner did NOTHING to politic for ASIB, released by Warner Bros. and shredded in its butchered editing after its initial release in order to fit in more showings per day.

julieann

Beatrice Straight won an Oscar for Network, she was on screen for 5 minutes 40 seconds. Both Anthony Quinn and Judi Dench won Oscars for only being on screen for eight minutes. Anthony Hopkin's roll in Silence of the Lambs was only 16+ minutes. It's not how long you're in a movie, it's what you do with the material you are given.

nubka

I always have a difficult time watching Judy Garland's movies, because I feel so sad knowing how her life turned out. :( :(

mysticchic

I wished I still had cable. I love Meet Me in St Louis. Easter Parade and all the others.

Fergus

I cherish my DVDs of "The Judy Garland Show" ('63-'64).

I have to admit that other than a few performances, specifically "Ziegfeld Girl", "Meet Me..." & "Judgement...", I'm not a *huge* fan of her motion pictures. :slinkaway

(But, oh, how I WISH this had worked out! It would have made "Dolls" even campier!!! :watch: )

Give me ANY and all of her stage/tv acts when she just held a mic and sang: :swoon: Friggin' A+. :) ("Mort Lindsey on piano, everybody......") ;)

Last edited:

Grannyfan

Love her. What an amazing talent. I've often wondered how her life might have turned out had she become a star after the studio system collapsed. I know ultimately we're all responsible for our decisions as adults, but the studio abused her so when she was young. Made a fortune off her and she ended up with nothing. It makes me so sad.

Judy at Carnegie Hall is one of my favorite CD's.

olympic

Winner that year was Rita Moreno for 'West Side Story' which swept 10 awards (one of the highest ever). I guess the Academy was bowled over by the singing and dancing

manleywoman

podcast mistress
She dies so young, and looked at least 15 years older due to the drugs and exhaustion. So sad.

Susan1

Did anybody see that biographical movie about Judy Garland about 10 years ago on t.v.? The actress was SO good, I forgot that it wasn't actually Judy. I'm sure they dubbed the singing voice in, but her looks and mannerisms were absolutely spot on. I was mesmerized. I'll have to look that up to see what it was called. Now would be a good time for them to show it again.

Edited to add movie title - Life With Judy Garland: Me and My Shadows (2001)

Last edited:

VALuvsMKwan

Codger level achieved
Did anybody see that biographical movie about Judy Garland about 10 years ago on t.v.? The actress was SO good, I forgot that it wasn't actually Judy. I'm sure they dubbed the singing voice in, but her looks and mannerisms were absolutely spot on. I was mesmerized. I'll have to look that up to see what it was called. Now would be a good time for them to show it again.

Edited to add movie title - Life With Judy Garland: Me and My Shadows (2001)

Tammy Blanchard played Judy as a teenager into young adulthood, and Judy Davis took over from there.

Each won an incredibly well-deserved Emmy award (for Outstanding Supporting Actress and Outstanding Actress, respectively).

Rex

I lurve The Clock - it's one of the most romantic movies I've ever seen, and Judy is lovely in it. Judy and Robert Walker had lots of chemistry. They were both such tortured souls offscreen, they generated a mutual onscreen vulnerability that worked for them somehow.

chipso1

Get Happy: The Life of Judy Garland is supposedly set to release in 2013, starring Anne Hathaway. As of late March, filming had not yet begun, according to this article.

Meet Me..., Girl Crazy, The Harvey Girls...all great Judy movies, as are the Andy Hardy ones. I've heard good things about The Clock, too, but haven't had a chance to see it yet.

Grannyfan

Get Happy: The Life of Judy Garland is supposedly set to release in 2013, starring Anne Hathaway. As of late March, filming had not yet begun, according to this article.

I have an irrational dislike of Anne Hathaway, so I'm not happy to read this. :(

snoopysnake

Besides my favorite of all films, The Wizard of Oz, my favorite Judy Garland film is Summer Stock. She was not only an amazing singer, but impressive as a dancer too.

VALuvsMKwan

Codger level achieved
Besides my favorite of all films, The Wizard of Oz, my favorite Judy Garland film is Summer Stock. She was not only an amazing singer, but impressive as a dancer too.

Indeed she was. She was battling demons and addictions all through "Summer Stock" and it took FOREVER to film, but there were times when the director Charles Walters and Gene Kelly managed to get through to her and turn the scenes and routines into a kind of challenge for her, and she just did brilliant dancing in the "Portland Fancy" number particularly.

Many costars, writers and directors said that Judy and Mickey Rooney had more raw talent than they had ever seen in one performer.

berthesghost

What's so great about The Clock is how small it is. Just a short story of 24 hours after an average guy meets an average girl. It's a very unhollywood Hollywood movie.

skatesindreams

Many costars, writers and directors said that Judy and Mickey Rooney had more raw talent than they had ever seen in one performer.

If you've never seen this, you should:

Mickey Rooney talks about Judy Garland
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ny1TWLNewTs

Shortly after Judy died, he appeared on one of the nightly shows (Carson/Griffin, I think) playing the piano and remembering her.
That's a clip I wish I could find.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information