Jessica Calalang Cleared of Drug Violation

Orm Irian

AP News article on the ridiculous situation Jessica Calalang had to go through because something in her makeup made her test positive for a banned substance.

I'm really glad they were able to track down the source of the contamination and clear Jessica. Would that it could happen for all athletes who get suspended for accidental contaminations that are only picked up due to test hypersensitivity, and without all but bankrupting them and costing them years of their competitive life, too. :(

Jammers

We were right something had to be going on for them to turn down going to Worlds and killing whatever momentum they had and explains why they weren't listed in the USFS envelops for this season and had no GP events.

ЭPiKUilyam

Banned Member
I wonder if USFS tapped into their Emergency Relief fund to cover her legal expenses? I think it would be an appropriate use of the funds. If you may recall, the Lipinskis filed a petition for the emergency funds when they had to take Tara all over the country looking to upgrade her coach and I guess wanted to be reimbursed for their traveling and relocation expenses? Who knows with them, but in this case I think it is a valid reason for tapping into the fund.

Lizziebeth

With all the mystery about their withdrawal from events and the fact they said nothing at all about it until it was resolved, I am glad it turned out to be something like this. Still, they paid a price for this - it is really too bad about missing competitions and the opportunity to earn needed ranking points.

ЭPiKUilyam

Banned Member
With all the mystery about their withdrawal from events and the fact they said nothing at all about it until it was resolved, I am glad it turned out to be something like this. Still, they paid a price for this - it is really too bad about missing competitions and the opportunity to earn needed ranking points.
Realistically, how much will this hurt them? If anything I'd give them some sympathy PCS to show my support at this injustice.

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
Realistically, how much will this hurt them? If anything I'd give them some sympathy PCS to show my support at this injustice.
Well, it cost them a chance to compete at Worlds which is fairly major. Having said that, the one upside is that they compete in Pairs and there are almost always spots that open up on the GP later in the season and this saga should go a long way toward securing them a 2nd assignment.

Specifically, IdF still has Hamon/Strekalin listed but she's on an extended break from skating and I don't expect to see them there and the Kovalevs didn't show up for French Masters after their very poor Lombardia Trophy showing, so, I'm fairly confident that there will be a spot opening up soon enough.

Last edited:

Lacey

I understand it was eyelash serum and not regular mascara that caused the problem.
She might have used a brow or lash enhancer that had growth hormones in it which might have crashed the drug tests. You want thick brows or lashes, they make stuff that can thicken them, and people have lots of choices.

My mother had glaucoma so I am considered glaucoma suspect, & one brand of eyebrow enhancer specifically says it has the bad glaucoma stuff in it, so I now go overboard with tracking ingredients.

But not everyone reads directions--it's just a brow or lash thickener. I am glad they figured it out.

Sylvia

TBD
Jessica Calalang's heartfelt message today: https://www.instagram.com/p/CVBS7iRvehN/

With Covid-19 taking away the 2020 World Championships and that my false positive test took another Worlds away from us for a second consecutive year… I was heartbroken.

Not a day went by where I didn’t discuss my USADA case. It consumed my mind and it was all I could think about February through the end of September. It was like a dark cloud that followed me around. Some days it rained, but most of the days it poured, hard.

My support system of my family, coaches and friends came to my rescue for the worst 230 days of my life. There were days where I could barely do research or read my emails because my eyes were so swollen from crying. There were days where I questioned why I was still coming into the rink when my entire career was in limbo. My biggest thank you of all goes to Brian. Brian, I am so sorry that I had to drag you along through this actual rollercoaster of a year. There were so many moving parts but I am so beyond thankful to have such a positive human being by my side through it all. What we went through as a team over the past 8 months has made us stronger together and more resilient than I ever thought we could be.

My support system all comforted me even though they were uncertain for the outcome of the case. They all offered their shoulder for me to cry on to soak up the buckets of tears that I cried. They provided distractions for me so I could focus on something happy & positive other than the case. But most importantly, they openly and whole heartedly gave me so much love and support. I am eternally grateful that my support system held me up when I could barely stand on my own.

I now know that as a team and as people, we are so much stronger, because of the storm we walked through, together. We are so excited that we are now free and can skate with true feeling and meaning ⛸💙

Spikefan

Rooting for that middle-aged team
I felt for all the skaters that lost out on Worlds due to Covid but how horrible to lose out on two not knowing why you tested positive. So thankful it was cleared up before the season started.

On a side note, I’m hesitant to use anything on my eyes as I worry about it messing with my vision. I will have stubby/thin lashes, I’d rather see beauty than be one. :HA!:

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I am glad she got cleared. It must have been difficult for her while the investigation was going on, knowing that she had done nothing wrong.

Sylvia

TBD
Sean Rabbitt, who coaches at Great Park Ice where Jessica trains & also coaches young skaters, wrote this in the comments section of her IG post:
Jess I had no idea that you were going through all of this, you are so strong and resilient to be able to endure all of that and still show up every single day at the rink smiling and positive. So glad to see that you have persevered and overcome these challenges, so proud of you. And huge props to Brian for being an amazing person and partner
If Sean didn't even know what happened to Jessica that means she was very well-protected within her inner circle at the rink ... and I find that impressive, as well as comforting, since the figure skating community normally is not known for keeping things like this secret and/or private for long, let alone for 8 months!

Last edited:

happycamper2554

Sean Rabbitt, who coaches at Great Park Ice where Jessica trains & also coaches young skaters, wrote this in the comments section of her IG post:

If Sean didn't even know what happened to Jessica that means she was very well-protected within her inner circle at the rink ... and I find that impressive, as well as comforting, since the figure skating community normally is not known for keeping things like this secret and/or private for long, let alone for 8 months!

We need to get some better leaks at great park. We never know anything about the pairs or Rafs group. Where are the gossips whn you need them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information