Jessica Calalang Cleared of Drug Violation

Sylvia

TBD
Cross-posting @Jayar's article in this thread:

"An in depth look at Calalang and Johnson's journey to clear her name."

Excerpt:
Over the next couple of weeks, with guidance from her lawyer, Calalang scoured her home for anything that might have caused her to fail the drug test and began sending whatever she could out for testing.
"I was running around trying to find some of the things that we thought it could have been such as a collagen powder that I had been using," she explained. "I still had some left, so I was able to locate the lot number. Then, I had to find my receipt to prove where and when I bought it. I went back to the store where I bought it to see if they still had any with that lot number, and fortunately they did, so I bought more so that I could send an unopened bin for testing."
In addition to the collagen powder, Calalang also sent out soap, cosmetics, and a lash serum for testing, but everything came back negative. As she continued her search for what might have caused the positive test, she and Johnson learned that the substance typically stays in the system for just a few days.
"One benefit to nationals (U.S. Championships) being a bubble that year was that once you entered the bubble, you had to stay in the bubble," Johnson explained. "We knew that it had to be something that she brought to the competition because we couldn't leave the bubble to go to the drugstore. This helped us to focus the search."
So the actual substance that caused the positive test was never identified for certain?

Rob

Beach Bum
Cross-posting @Jayar's article in this thread:

"An in depth look at Calalang and Johnson's journey to clear her name."

Excerpt:

So the actual substance that caused the positive test was never identified for certain?
Sunscreen? Or do most cosmetics have this ingredient?

Sylvia

TBD
From Jayar's article:
But then there was a glimmer of hope—in May Rob Font, an Ultimate Fighting Championships competitor, tested positive for the same substance that provoked Calalang's suspension. By July, it was announced that he was cleared of any wrongdoing by USADA, after it was determined that sunscreen was the source of the 4-CPA. Due to on-going research it was discovered that a cosmetic preservative called chlorphenesin, which is not a banned substance, also metabolizes into 4-CPA.

As her arbitration date with USADA approached, Calalang's lawyer shared that there were some draft regulations specific to 4-CPA were going up for vote in September, and if passed, she, too, would be cleared of the violation.
Sunscreen? Or do most cosmetics have this ingredient?
Apparently some do:

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD

https://www.wada-ama.org/sites/default/files/resources/files/tl01_v4.0_summaryofmodifications_en.pdf

TL01 - Meclofenoxate version 4.0 [Publication date 30 November 2021]

Summary of Major Modifications

The Technical Letter on the reporting of analytical results for Meclofenoxate, TL01 –
Meclofenoxate version 4.0, has been updated to include new guidance on the evaluation and
reporting of analytical results for the Marker of Use of meclofenoxate: 4-Chlorophenoxyacetic acid
(4-CPA).

According to recent research, the presence of 4-CPA in urine may originate not only from
meclofenoxate Use or from food containing residues of 4-CPA, but also from Chlorphenesin, a
non-prohibited substance that is used as a preserving agent in cosmetics and lotions
or present,
as Chlorphenesin carbamate, in an approved drug for the relief of muscle pain.

The Analysis and Reporting Requirements section has been updated to specify that an analytical
result shall be reported as an Adverse Analytical Finding (AAF) for meclofenoxate only when
meclofenoxate is identified in a Sample at an estimated concentration higher than (>) 50 ng/mL,
or when 4-CPA is present at an estimated concentration higher than (>) 5 μg/mL in the absence
of chlorphenesin or chlorphenesin carbamate Metabolites.

In order to summarize the conditions mentioned above, a Table 1 was also included in the
Analysis and Reporting Requirements section.

This Technical Letter becomes effective immediately.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information