Italian figure skating news & updates

Andrea82

Matteo Nalbone debuting as Senior at Nebelhorn.

Grassl, Tornaghi, Ghilardi/Ambrosini and Dozzi/Papetti (debut in an international competition) are entered in Lake Placid.

Rizzo, Memola, Emanuele Indelicato (first Challenger), Elena Agostinelli (debut in a senior event), Gutmann, Pezzetta (debut as senior internationally), Guignard/Fabbri, Portesi Peroni/Chrastecky, Manni/Roesthlisberger, Leccardi/Della Torre (first Challenger) are entered at Lombardia Trophy

Nalbone, Conti/Macii, Valesi/Piazza (pair, first Challenger) and Leccardi/Della Torre are entered at Nebelhorn Trophy.

The FISG calendar gives the assignments "by number" for each Challenger.
Nepela should have 1 Woman, 1 Man and 2 ID
Finlandia: 1 Pair and 1 ID
Budapest: 3 Men, 2 ID
Cup of Austria: 2 Women, 2 Men and 1 ID
Warsaw: 2 Women, 1 Man, 1 Pair and 1 ID
Golden Spin: 4 Women, 3 Men, 2 Pairs, 0 ID

Last edited:

Andrea82

Recapping the JGP assignments and trying to predict the following ones.

Remember that in Egna Italy can field 3 entries per discipline.

Men

Courchevel: Tommaso Barison
Ostrava: Nikolaj Memola
Riga: Matteo Nalbone
Yerevan: Tommaso Barison
Gdansk1:Raffaele Zich

That's 4 spots left (1 in Gdansk and 3 in Egna). So Memola, Zich and Nalbone will get a 2nd assignment.
Nobody else has been listed among Subs so far. There would be room for another man getting the last Egna spot. Indelicato is too old, Buttiero Khorev is too young. Based on last year's results, there is Gabriel Renaldi but I don't know if he is still active.

Women

Courchevel: Elena Agostinelli
Ostrava: Chiara Minighini
Riga: no spot for Italy
Yerevan: Ginevra Negrello
Gdansk1: Anna Pezzetta

That's 4 spots left (1 in Gdansk and 3 in Egna). Pezzetta and Negrello will get a 2nd assignment.
Subs listed so far are Ester Schwarz, Anna Bodrone, Anita Gemelli, Giulia Barucchi. The first two were listed as subs for the first stages, while the latter two for Gdansk. Only 2 of them will get a spot.

Pairs

oh well, there is nobody left!

Ice Dance

Courchevel: spot not used after Ventura/Bonetto split
Ostrava: no spot
Riga: Giorgia Galimberti/Matteo Mandelli
Yerevan:Noemi Tali/Stefano Frasca
Gdansk1: Laura Finelli/Matteo Pedesini

Italy doesn't have a spot in the second Gdansk stage. So there are only the 3 Egna ones left to assign.
I suppose Galimberti/Mandelli and Tali/Frasca will get a spot in Egna.
Subs for Gdansk includes also Alice Pizzorni/Massimiliano Bucciarelli. So they may get the last Egna spot instead of a second assignment for Finelli/Pedesini. Last year F/P were ahead at Nationals but P/B were ahead at Egna Spring Trophy.

Andrea82

Memola is the 4th Italian Man to get on a JGP podium.

2 wins: Daniel Grassl in Egna 2019 and Matteo Rizzo in Egna 2017.
2 silvers: Nikolaj Memola in JGP Ostrava 2022 and Karel Zelenka in JGP Gdansk 2001
2 bronzes: Daniel Grassl in JGP Gdansk 2019 and JGP Bratislava 2018

The FISG calendar gives the assignments "by number" for each Challenger.
Nepela should have 1 Woman, 1 Man and 2 ID

Gutmann
Frangipani
Manni/Röthlisberger
Portesi Peroni/Chrastecky

Men

Courchevel: Tommaso Barison [142.13 points]
Ostrava: Nikolaj Memola [214.11 points]
Riga: Matteo Nalbone
Yerevan: Tommaso Barison
Gdansk1:Raffaele Zich

That's 4 spots left (1 in Gdansk and 3 in Egna). So Memola, Zich and Nalbone will get a 2nd assignment.
Nobody else has been listed among Subs so far. There would be room for another man getting the last Egna spot. Indelicato is too old, Buttiero Khorev is too young. Based on last year's results, there is Gabriel Renaldi but I don't know if he is still active.

Nalbone "withdrawn because of illness" from Riga. Memola sent there.
Barison withdrew from Yerevan and he has not been replaced.
Zich assigned to Gdansk2 too.
Nalbone and Barison can get Egna spots if they are healthy by then. Still nobody else named among the alternates.

Women

Courchevel: Elena Agostinelli [123.39 points]
Ostrava: Chiara Minighini [110.02 points]
Riga: no spot for Italy
Yerevan: Ginevra Negrello
Gdansk1: Anna Pezzetta

That's 4 spots left (1 in Gdansk and 3 in Egna). Pezzetta and Negrello will get a 2nd assignment.
Subs listed so far are Ester Schwarz, Anna Bodrone, Anita Gemelli, Giulia Barucchi. The first two were listed as subs for the first stages, while the latter two for Gdansk. Only 2 of them will get a spot.
Anna Gemelli has been assigned to Gdansk2.
Edit: she didn't last 24 hours. Giulia Barucchi is not listed for Gdansk.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Kostner's Instagram post in Italian & English only has a bit more info (bolded by me below): https://www.instagram.com/p/CiPrTNfrB8w/
"I fall 100 times, I get up 101" The mantra that I keep repeating to myself from the moment the ambulance took me to the emergency room last Thursday, what should have been a pleasant day at work. The diagnosis: double jaw fracture, 5 stitches and a severe headache. There have been stormy days, sleepless and painful nights. Despite everything, I can tell you I will soon be well again! Life surprises you, not always in the best way, nevertheless you get up stronger than before!

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
I'm not sure if this is the best place for posting this article, since it's about Massimo Scali living his American dream :lol: but it's a lovely article about his career path. He speaks of Alysa Liu in absolute glowing terms.

Wonderful interview! I am thrilled to read that Massimo and Jeremy have taken Kate Wang under their wings! Can’t wait to see the progress of Kate’s two new programs at her next intl competition… and she’s at an NQS event this weekend… 🤞

Last edited:

soogar

Wonderful interview! I am thrilled to read that Massimo and Jeremy have taken Kate Wang under their wings! Can’t wait to see the progress of Kate’s two new programs at her next intl competition… and she’s at an NQS event this weekend… 🤞
That was a great interview. It seems that the new formula since Eteri's success is to pair an ice dancer with a jump coach. An ice dancer really knows how to create choreography to fit the code. I also think that Massimo did a wonderful job with Alyssa and I hope that later on, he may want to stay put and develop more singles skaters and possibly dance teams as well. Shame that Alyssa didn't take years to develop her style under him. Brady developed her style under Benoit and it took a few years for the changes to take effect.

Sylvia

TBD
Q&A with Nikolj Memola after he qualified for the JGP Final in Torino with a silver in Ostrava & gold in Riga (Sept. 11):
No rest for the weary - he competes in CS Lombardia Trophy on home ice in Bergamo this weekend!

Frau Muller

Q&A with Nikolj Memola …
No rest for the weary - he competes in CS Lombardia Trophy on home ice in Bergamo this weekend!

And it’s too bad that he couldn’t be transported on a hypersonic jet to Lake Placid USA last night, as I sorely missed Memola’s type of classic, elegant skating at the US “Non-Classic”! To me, only Camden, Arlet, and Kevin - in his own wacky way - offered finesse, gliding, musicality, phrasing of the sort we see in Memola.

Frau Muller

Any update on Daniel Grassl, who had to withdraw from the CS US Classic a month ago? Wondering if he’ll be competing at Skate America next week?

Andrea82

Seerek

Almost like a mini Italian men's Nationals in Budapest, going 1-3-4. Would like to know the selection criteria for Euros/Worlds.

ETA: If I had the money, I'd make a documentary entitled "Cortina's Calling", tracking the journey of the Italian team towards the Olympics.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Q&A with Nikolj Memola after he qualified for the JGP Final in Torino with a silver in Ostrava & gold in Riga (Sept. 11):
Nikolaj Memola has had quite an impressive start to his season! :cheer: Silver & Gold in his two JGPs to qualify for the JGP Final in Torino :), plus 2 ISU Challenger Series medals - bronzes in Bergamo and Budapest today!

Memola's JGP Riga SP (83.04 is his current ISU PB) to Prelude No. 2 In C Sharp Minor by Sergei Rachmaninov: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVEDXDQTU48

His post-JGP Riga Cup gold medal interview with Mark Hanretty: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vm4wD7BCdds

AngieNikodinovLove

Frangi & Piazza & Paul & Hektor & Theo. Oh My! 😝
Nikolaj Memola has had quite an impressive start to his season! :cheer: Silver & Gold in his two JGPs to qualify for the JGP Final in Torino :), plus 2 ISU Challenger Series medals - bronzes in Bergamo and Budapest today!

Memola's JGP Riga SP (83.04 is his current ISU PB) to Prelude No. 2 In C Sharp Minor by Sergei Rachmaninov: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVEDXDQTU48

His post-JGP Riga Cup gold medal interview with Mark Hanretty: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vm4wD7BCdds

Italy for a team medal at the next Olys

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information