Italian figure skating news & updates

nimi

Hometown boy Grassl just won JGP Egna. He took bronze in JGP Gdansk a couple of weeks ago, so this win means he'll qualify for the Torino JGPF. Congrats!

AngieNikodinovLove

Frangi & Piazza & Paul & Hektor & Theo. Oh My! 😝
Hometown boy Grassl just won JGP Egna. He took bronze in JGP Gdansk a couple of weeks ago, so this win means he'll qualify for the Torino JGPF. Congrats!

Limoncello for everyone!!!!!!

Bravo Daniel (and what a cutey)

nimi

And now a surprise JGP bronze for Alessia Tornaghi! She was 7th after the SP but second in the free and missed the silver only by 0.28 points.

The 2 other Italians (Gutmann and Gennaro) made the top 10, so a pretty good day for the home country skaters overall! FORZA ITALIA!!!

When is the last time an Italian female singles skater medalled at the JGP circuit? 10 years ago or more?

nimi

In case anybody who watched G/F skate yesterday was wondering about Marco's hand but hasn't seen this post over at the Dance Hall:
Marco cut a tendon in has hand and is in a splint from his elbow to fingers. Both programs had to be adapted as he has no strength in that arm. Everyone is in awe of how he managed to skate like this, he is incredible and she too for having to manage without his supporting hand! Marco 💪🏻💪🏻💪🏻Respect ✊
Just... whoah. :eek: I barely noticed the splint while they were skating their RD, it was only when the slo-mos came that I really "saw" it but assumed he had a wrist injury or something, which would be bad enough, but sounds like it's even worse... :(

I was rooting for G/F to get the silver here and to eventually qualify for their home country GPF, but now I just hope they make it through the FD without further injuries. Prayer circle for Marco's hand & arm!

J

Jeschke

Is Giada Russo still skating (in dance)? I did not see her (and Garcia) all season.

nimi

Is Giada Russo still skating (in dance)? I did not see her (and Garcia) all season.
Giada posted a recent interview on her IG where she mostly talks about her studies (she graduated from a 3-year online academic program in September and is now enrolled to do her Master's degree) but it definitely sounds like she's still pursuing ice dance too.

Based on her IG, she and Jaime trained in Chicago over the summer but it looks like she's currently back in Italy. I guess we'll see whether they make an appearance at Nats next month and do well enough to earn some international assignments next fall.

nimi

Giada posted a recent interview on her IG where she mostly talks about her studies (she graduated from a 3-year online academic program in September and is now enrolled to do her Master's degree) but it definitely sounds like she's still pursuing ice dance too.

Based on her IG, she and Jaime trained in Chicago over the summer but it looks like she's currently back in Italy. I guess we'll see whether they make an appearance at Nats next month and do well enough to earn some international assignments next fall.
No Giada at Nats and looks like she's doing some Christmas show as a singles skater, so I assume Giada/Jaime are no more?

Speaking of Nats, the results page is here: http://www.fisg.it/upload/result/5116/index.html
No surprises when it comes to seniors, unless you count Grassl winning the gold again over Rizzo. Apparently the boot problems that hampered his JGPF performances have been resolved.

I have to say I'm a bit worried about DM/G aborting a lift again (this time it was the 5RLi in FS) and continuing to not land their throws, but maybe a few more weeks of training will help.

Maybe the most interesting outcome at Italian Nats was the jr dance. Last year's champs Righi/Dubrovin fell on their FD step sq and dropped to 3rd, and Portesi Peroni/Chrastecky won. R/D still have a chance to make the JWC team, though. The selection criteria (this pdf, p. 5) says that it's the 3 highest total international scores, at least one of which must be acquired after Nats, that will determine who gets the JWC spot. These 2 teams had pretty similar scores and placements in the JGP series, so maybe we get a head to head at Egna (in early Feb) and that'll decide it?

Sylvia

TBD
There are upcoming shows on Dec. 28th in Fondo (Matteo Rizzo, Guignard/Fabbri, Giada Russo), 29th in Bormio (Matteo Rizzo, Guignard/Fabbri) and 30th in Pieve di Cadore (Laurine Lecavelier, Giada Russo):

ETA:

Team Italy for the Youth Olympic Games was announced on December 17: https://www.fisg.it/web/elisa-confo...ochi-olimpici-giovanili-invernali-di-losanna/
Alessia Tornaghi (ladies), Nikolaj Memola, Matteo Nalbone (2 men), Giulia Tuba/Andrea Tuba (ice dance).

Last edited:

reut

Carolina wrote that at the end of January she will undergo hip surgery:

Sylvia

TBD
Replying to @Jeschke here (this question was posted originally in the Italian Nationals thread):
Btw, where is Micol Christini this entire season?
Cristini's Instagram account indicates she is skating on Royal Caribbean's Mariner of the Seas.

Jari Kessler has not competed internationally this season: http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00034345.htm
I noticed his country is listed as "Croatia" under his Bolzano Passion Gala photo.
Capellini/Lanotte, Della Monica/Guarise, Daniel Grassl, Gabriele Frangipani, Marina Piredda and (artistic roller, now ice, skater) Pierluca Tocco are the other Italians listed as performing.

ETA that I've started a thread for the show: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...anova-bukin-della-monica-guarise-more.106651/

Last edited:

Tinami Amori

Just for fun: Happy Holidays from Ivan Bariev... :D

Eislauffan

Russian skater Leonid Sviridenko has published a video interview with Italian skater Gabriele Frangipani. At the end of the Russian text is the video, which is in English (with Russian subtitles). Gabriele talks about the situation in Italy and in Bolzano (Bozen, South Tyrol), how he trains etc.

Gabriele competed at Europeans and Junior Worlds 2020. Leonid competed at senior Nationals 2020 and landed a quad loop. As far as I know he is studying journalism.

GoneWithTheWind

Absolute Skating published an interesting new interview with Charlène and Marco: http://www.absoluteskating.com/index...guignardfabbri

In it, they discuss Marco's injury from the 2019/20 and how this impacted their performances, how they chose their programs for the last season, and their performances/placement at Europeans 2020 and how they were affected by the long wait to skate their free dance. They also talk about the Papadakis/Cizeron vs Sinitsina/Katsalapov rivalry, as well as their favourite programs from previous seasons.

Colonel Green

Rizzo has parted ways with Franca Bianconi. No word on new coach.
The fear of Grassl and Frangi takin' over? :watch:
I thought at the end of last season that Rizzo had probably reached the peak of what was possible under his current coaching arrangement, so I'm not really surprised in that sense.

Conversely, though, this isn't the easiest time to go hunting for new coaches.

Or maybe he's going to move to Lambiel, all the cool kids are doing it these days.

Sylvia

TBD
Re. "Frangi" - Gabriele Frangipani, who will turn 19 on December 31, shared 2 photos on his Insta from last week's Nebelhorn Trophy where he won the silver medal: https://www.instagram.com/p/CFmSJ4_qB-r/

Recent practice clip of Della Monica/Guarise skating to "Saturn" by Sleeping At Last: https://www.instagram.com/p/CFr6YFXob20/

Team Italy members assigned to Internationaux de France in mid-November: DM/G, Guignard/Fabbri, Daniel Grassl, Matteo Rizzo, Alessia Tornaghi and Lara Naki Gutmann.

ETA that I forgot to link to Ted Barton's interview with Matteo Rizzo that was uploaded on ISU's YT channel on Sept. 26 (part of their 2018 Junior Worlds replay series):

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Italy's plans for their own Grand Prix series with some "foreign skaters by invitation":

"In each stage, scores will be assigned based on the placement obtained and the best athletes will qualify for the final which will take place on 13 and 14 February [2021]."

First stage, 24-25 October 2020, IceLab ice rink in Bergamo
MEN : Mattia Dalla Torre (Aosta Skating Club 2000), Gabriele Frangipani (Fiamme Oro), Daniel Grassl (Fiamme Oro), Matteo Rizzo (Fiamme Azzurre), Alberto Vanz (IceLab ) + 1 foreign athlete by invitation
WOMEN : Elisabetta Leccardi (Young Goose Academy), Ginevra Negrello (Varese Ghiaccio), Chenny Paolucci (2201 srl), Francesca Poletti (Varese Ghiaccio) + 2 foreign athletes by invitation
COUPLES OF ART : Conti-Macii (IceLab), Della Monica-Guarise (Fiamme Oro), Ghilardi-Ambrosini (IceLab) + 1 foreign couple by invitation

Second stage, 21-22 November 2020, PalaTazzoli di Torino
WOMEN : Greta Baldan (PAT), Lucrezia Beccari (IceLab), Lucrezia Gennaro (2001 Srl), Roberta Rodeghiero (Aeronautica Militare), Alice Orrù (Pusterice Club), Alessia Tornaghi ( Fiamme Oro)
DANCE : Calderone-Dubrovin (Ice Academy), Guignard-Fabbri (Blue Flames), Moscheni-Fioretti (IceLab) + 2 foreign couples by invitation
DANZA JUNIOR : Calderari-Cilli (IceLab), Campanini-Riva (Accademia del Ice, Portesi Peroni-Chrastecky (IceLab), Tali-Frasca (IceLab), Tuba-Tuba (Sport Ghiaccio Mezzaluna)

Third stage, 28-29 November 2020, Wurth Arena di Egna
WOMEN : Lucrezia Beccari (IceLab), Lara Naki Gutmann (CPA Trento), Elisabetta Leccardi (Young Goose Academy), Ginevra Negrello (Varese Ghiaccio), Chenny Paolucci (2201 srl) +1 foreign athlete by invitation
MEN : Mattia Dalla Torre (Aosta Skating Club 2000), Alessandro Fadini (Artistico Ghiaccio Fiemme), Gabriele Frangipani (Fiamme Oro), Daniel Grassl (Fiamme Oro), Matteo Rizzo (Fiamme Azzurre) + 1 foreign athlete by invitation
COUPLES OF ARTISTIC : Caldara-Santucci (Accademia del Ghiaccio), Contarino-Pauletti (Ice Club Torino), Della Monica-Guarise (Fiamme Oro), Ghilardi-Ambrosini (IceLab)

Fourth stage, 5-6 December 2020, Palaghiaccio di Trento
WOMEN : Lucrezia Gennaro (2001 Srl), Lara Naki Gutmann (CPA Trento), Roberta Rodeghiero (Aeronautica Militare), Alessia Tornaghi (Fiamme Oro) + 2 foreign athletes by invitation
DANCE : Calderone-Dubrovin (Accademia del Ghiaccio), Guignard-Fabbri (Fiamme Azzurre), Moscheni-Fioretti (IceLab), Roy-Pietrantonio (Sport Ghiaccio Mezzaluna) + 1 foreign couple by invitation
DANZA JUNIOR : Calderari-Cilli (IceLab), Campanini- Riva (Accademia del Ghiaccio), Galimberti-Mandelli (GGR), Portesi Peroni-Chrastecky (IceLab), Tuba-Tuba (Sport Ghiaccio Mezzaluna)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information