Italian figure skating news & updates

shah

Shhh... shhh...
Whee, the Vampire girl! I really hope to see her "Dracula" free in Minsk :).

Sylvia

TBD
ISU feature article on Charlene Guignard/Marco Fabbri: https://www.isu.org/figure-skating/...uccess-made-us-even-hungrier?templateParam=15
Excerpt from the end:
Following their success in the ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating series, the Italians are looking to improve on their fifth place finish from the ISU European Figure Skating Championships in 2018 and have a positive mindset. “We feel extremely confident as we know that we are working very well. However, as we always say before any competition, we don't like setting any goals in terms of results. Each competition is different, and also the opportunity to achieve a specific result is different every time,” Fabbri noted. “This is why we don't want to think too much about the result in order not to put much pressure on ourselves. Obviously, we will do our best to fight for the podium, even if we know that it will be a tough competition. But we feel ready for the battle!”
Junior national champions Gabriele Frangipani (silver, won Men's FS [Video]) and Marina Piredda (gold, 158.67 total) both did very well in their senior international debuts at Mentor Torun Cup in Poland, getting their respective minimum technical element scores for Worlds.

ETA that Frangipani shared a practice clip of his 4T last month on his IG: https://www.instagram.com/p/BrUxyBMoGzW/

Last edited:

Sk8swan

Congrats to Team Italy on a great European championship showing! 2 bronzes, a 4th, 3 spots for men. Nice to see we have a good rivarly in the men, and that the ice dance dynasty is alive and well!

It should have been 3 bronzes imo...

Sk8swan

I'm specially thinking about the marks DM&G got in the short program and not necessarily a comparison with B/K who are obviously an excellent pair

J

Jeschke

Have we updates on Kostner's status for worlds?

All senior ladies entered for Cup of Tyrol.
Let the skateoff begin :watch:
#teammarilu

J

Jeschke

Why did Beccari get the JW spot?
She came in 2nd to Tornaghi at nationals:drama:
I have a feeling Marilu might not be amused with this season

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
Carolina will not be competing at Worlds.

https://www.adnkronos.com/sport/201...er-salta-mondiali_HCE3iJADi5S1m6GVF1MtyO.html

translation:

Carolina Kostner will not be able to participate in the figure skating World Championships scheduled in Saitama from March 20th to 24th. The rehabilitation of the left hip and the resumption of foot function due to the fracture occurred in a domestic accident prevented her to prepare for the world championship. The medical and physiotherapeutic staff that followed it at the beginning of the year had in fact considered it necessary to add a few weeks to stop from the ice to get better and then resume normal activity.

Now Kostner has also resumed training on the ice in a very gradual but steady and, together with the staff, is planning the next months of training along with participation in some gala including on May 4 next to Bologna with 'Bol On Ice' and a tour in Japan at the end of May.

J

Jeschke

according to Raisport's commentator/journalist, Roberta does get one of the two spots:
Tweet
While I approve a good comeback story, sending Rodeghiero at this point would be a major mistake imho.

Neither Leccardi (Worlds'18) nor Gutmann and Gennaro (Euros'19) had impressive outings at their 1st major championships, but giving one of the spots to a 28yrs old, who has had the same medicore season as all other contestans, is obviously a wrong sign and move towards the next olympics by the Italian fed.

I still hope there will be a skateoff for both spots at Cup of Tyrol. If Roberta stays on her feet and is among the top2, send her, if not, please remove her.

J

Jeschke

Piredda/Rodeghiero entries for worlds, with only Gennaro being sub.
So what is this all-italian-ladies-lineup at Cup of Tyrol about?

Can they change entries/add subs still?

VenusH.

So is Kostner planning to compete next season? It felt empty without her this year.

Too bad there arent professional competitions anymore... she would slay there.

levineismine

I believed in Hubbell&Donohue before it was cool
I messaged Ambesi and Secondini, let's see if they have some answers. Italian fed is never too explicit/public about criteria, except last year for Olympic selection.

nimi

Rizzo plans to include the 4T in the short
Interview in italian
Today in Krasnoyarsk, he did it! He landed the quad, skated a clean short, and got a really good score: TES 50.18, TSS 90.78

Universiade is not an ISU competition so this SB is not an official ISU SB, but still, pretty impressive & an important step for him!

He's currently in 2nd, one point behind Kovtun.

nimi

Today in Krasnoyarsk, he did it! He landed the quad, skated a clean short, and got a really good score: TES 50.18, TSS 90.78

Universiade is not an ISU competition so this SB is not an official ISU SB, but still, pretty impressive & an important step for him!

He's currently in 2nd, one point behind Kovtun.
He did it again! Landed the 4T and everything else with +GOE, scored TES 95.06 / TSS 182.76 in the free, and won the competition with 273.54 points... fourteen points ahead of Kovtun, who got silver (Samarin didn't make the podium btw).
Cheers for Matteo, the newly crowned Universiade champion! :encore:

I'd like to see Italy get 2 spots for men so I'm rooting really hard for Matteo heading into Worlds... Looking very good indeed but I don't wanna jinx him so keeping my fingers crossed...

Links: Universiade results page, SP on YT, FS on YT

Seerek

...almost a +19 on GOE is pretty staggering, even with the change to -5/+5 GOE.
I'd be curious who's matched that this season (maybe Shoma).

Marco

Very fine elements for Matteo Rizzo at Universade. He is setting himself up for a solid top ten placement at Worlds this season.

Laney

Well Lucrezia is in 8th after the SP at Junior Worlds.

Not bad!!!!

🇮🇹🇮🇹🇮🇹
I really love her skating! Saw her last season on the Jgp and liked her from the first move. I think for ME she´s the next big skater I´ll love till the end. I´d rather watch her than Sherbakova etc. where everything is so rushed. I love the expression Lucrezia already has, her lines etc. I´m looking forward how she´ll improve. But for now she´s my favourite junior lady :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information