ISU to evaluate feasibility of 2020-21 skating season

Sylvia

TBD
With Skate Canada and Internationaux de France both canceled and other top skaters unable to participate in one of the domestic GPs, I don't think the GP Final should be rescheduled. Maybe the ISU & China can put together an invitational competition of top ranked skaters (similar to Shanghai Trophy this past October) to be held in Beijing at the renovated Capital Gymnasium ice rink next year?

Last edited:

crzesk8dad

Where am I? How do I get off? Do I get ice cream?
With Skate Canada and Internationaux de France both canceled and other top skaters unable to participate in one of the domestic GPs, I don't think the GP Final should be rescheduled. Maybe the ISU & China can put together an invitational competition of top ranked skaters (similar to Shanghai Trophy this past October) to be held in Beijing at the renovated Capital Gymnasium ice rink next year?
I like Vegas better. "Fabulous Las Vegas, center of the Figure Skating World!" 😆

Debbie S

Agree that to have an actual GPF this season is ridiculous.

I wonder what they mean by "update on the status of the ISU calendar season". Perhaps they are planning to push back Euros (which should prob just be canceled) and Worlds to later in the spring/summer.

skatfan

Agree that to have an actual GPF this season is ridiculous.

I wonder what they mean by "update on the status of the ISU calendar season". Perhaps they are planning to push back Euros (which should prob just be canceled) and Worlds to later in the spring/summer.

Amen to somehow thinking a GPFinal is worth doing on any level with 1/3 of the events cancelled, and so many skaters who never got to compete (thinking of the Korean, French and Canadian skaters).

Vagabond

Maybe the WJC in March 2021 can be moved from Harbin to Beijing and used as the test event if the rescheduling of GPF fails. I'm not optimistic though.
I think a more realistic possibility is having Beijing host the Olympic Test Event next autumn. It could be the qualifying competition for those federations that don't have spots through placements at Worlds if there is one this season.

Last edited:

whiteskates

I am just wondering what the odds are that a "bubble Worlds" will happen, similar to Skate America.

if it happens it will in fact take place in a bubble - the arena looks like a giant round bubble 😊 The situation at the moment is unclear. Currently 300 spectators are allowed at sporting events but that will probably not be the case for much longer as the arrival of a second wave is now a fact. Nothing has been heard from the organizers of Worlds yet. If travel restrictions allow it, a ”bubble Worlds”. in our while bubble arena is better than nothing.

Tahuu

ISU 11/13 breaking news:

2020-21 Beijing GPF is cancelled but they are still looking at alternative locations outside of China and dates for GPF.

"While under the current pandemic situation finding alternative locations (outside China) and dates to replace the respective Events during the ongoing season will be a challenge, the ISU nevertheless is evaluating such alternatives for the ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final and the ISU World Speed Skating Championships. A decision will be taken as soon as possible."

Amy L

ISU 11/13 breaking news:

2020-21 Beijing GPF is cancelled but they are still looking at alternative locations outside of China and dates for GPF.

How would qualifying for the GPF event work, since the skaters can only participate in one event? Would it be the same point system? There are less GP events and way less skaters, so I guess the math could still work out. :COP: I would not be the one to DO that math, however, that's why I'm asking here :lol:

Tahuu

How would qualifying for the GPF event work, since the skaters can only participate in one event? Would it be the same point system? There are less GP events and way less skaters, so I guess the math could still work out. :COP: I would not be the one to DO that math, however, that's why I'm asking here :lol:
Maybe champs from SA, COC, RC, NHK, plus invited top skaters. Orleans Arena bubble may work and it could be in April after Worlds.

mjb52

I like the idea of doing it after Worlds as some kind of more fun bonus competition or something, but definitely not before. Focus on making Worlds happen, no one cares about the GPF even at all in comparison to that.

cheremary

^ Well, I think skaters are specifically interested in this GPF because it was supposed to be held at the Olympic venue in Beijing. I’m not sure a GPF is necessarily feasible, but it would be great if the top-ranked skaters could get some kind of competition opportunity to experience the venue prior to the 2022 Olympics.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
Any thing held for this year....after this point is not a competition but a joke. There will be skaters who should be there and can't get there.
Have comps at home... Skaters want to skate... Keep in shape... Be seen.... Great. Skaters get to show their study, practice competing and be seen.

cholla

Grand Duchess of Savoie - Marquessa of Chartreuse
if it happens it will in fact take place in a bubble - the arena looks like a giant round bubble 😊 The situation at the moment is unclear. Currently 300 spectators are allowed at sporting events but that will probably not be the case for much longer as the arrival of a second wave is now a fact. Nothing has been heard from the organizers of Worlds yet. If travel restrictions allow it, a ”bubble Worlds”. in our while bubble arena is better than nothing.
If I remember well, there is only one hotel in immediate proximity of Ericsson Globen, right? (Quality Globe?) In Vegas, skaters can ride down the hotel elevator almost directly to the rink. @Globen, they just have a court to cross (if it's where they will be staying). It should be possible to "isolate" participants, whether they are officials or skaters (or media 😇) almost like in Vegas. I'm keeping my fingers crossed...

starrynight

I think one of the reasons Papadakis/Cizeron will not be doing any Euro Champ comp will be the fact that if Papadakis leaves Canada, she can't get back in (a bit like Medvedeva).

That's another concern for some skaters ... potentially de-railing the pre-Olympic training process if they get locked out of their training country.

Carina

If I remember well, there is only one hotel in immediate proximity of Ericsson Globen, right? (Quality Globe?) In Vegas, skaters can ride down the hotel elevator almost directly to the rink. @Globen, they just have a court to cross (if it's where they will be staying). It should be possible to "isolate" participants, whether they are officials or skaters (or media 😇) almost like in Vegas. I'm keeping my fingers crossed...
Yes that’s correct and both Annexet and Hovet, where practice will be done are next door.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Good news for fans wishing to attend sporting events, concerts, etc.

With the advent of a ***** vaccine, TicketMaster (in conjunction with IBM and other big-tech firms) is working on a potential database of folks that've taken the vaccine, as part of the ticket-selling process. Once at the venue, ticket-takers/ushers would scan into database to ensure that the spectator is cleared.

Imagine...ushers at arena entrances acting like TSA security guards at airports!

Arguments each way, I realize. Would we be willing to give away some privacy for the privilege of attending a sporting or concert event? For me - Heck, yes!

This article just covers the US but I can see this easily transitioning into an international database for people wishing to attend events in countries other than their own. GAME CHANGER? WE MAY YET HAVE A STOCKHOLM WORLDS in 2021! A WINTER OLYMPICS IN 2022! Not just for fans but for all involved in an event...ISU, pay attention!

Last edited:

skatfan

^ Well, I think skaters are specifically interested in this GPF because it was supposed to be held at the Olympic venue in Beijing. I’m not sure a GPF is necessarily feasible, but it would be great if the top-ranked skaters could get some kind of competition opportunity to experience the venue prior to the 2022 Olympics.
The notice says that a test event at the venue will happen later in some form.

Colonel Green

The notice says that a test event at the venue will happen later in some form.
They might end up holding the Cup of China there next fall (fingers crossed that that happens).

Which would turn the Cup of China into a highly-desirable assignment for European/North American skaters, for perhaps the first time in its history.

clairecloutier

I think one of the reasons Papadakis/Cizeron will not be doing any Euro Champ comp will be the fact that if Papadakis leaves Canada, she can't get back in (a bit like Medvedeva).

Why is that? Is Cizeron a Canadian citizen or official resident, while Papadakis is not?

Sylvia

TBD
ISU CALENDAR OF EVENTS (competitions still listed as of Nov. 14, 2020): https://www.isu.org/figure-skating/events/figure-skating-calendar

ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating - Rostelecom Cup, Nov 20 - Nov 22, 2020 Moscow /RUS
NRW Autumn Trophy, Nov 26 - Nov 29, 2020 Dortmund /GER
Santa Claus Cup, Nov 26 - Nov 29, 2020 Budapest /HUN
ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating - NHK Trophy, Nov 27 - Nov 29, 2020 Osaka /JPN

POSTPONED 53rd Golden Spin of Zagreb, Dec 02 - Dec 05, 2020 Zagreb /CRO
British Inclusive Skating Virtual International Championships, Dec 05 - Dec 19, 2020
POSTPONED ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final, Dec 10 - Dec 13, 2020 Beijing /CHN [change of location being considered but event could also be cancelled]
Winter Star 2020, Dec 11 - Dec 13, 2020 Minsk /BLR
POSTPONED Sarajevo Open 2020, Dec 18 - Dec 20, 2020 Sarajevo /BIH

Mentor Torun Cup, Jan 05 - Jan 10, 2021 Torún /POL
14th Europa Cup Skate Helena, Jan 12 - Jan 16, 2021 Belgrade /SRB
Edusport Trophy, Jan 13 - Jan 17, 2021 Bucharest /ROU
ISU European Figure Skating Championships, Jan 25 - Jan 31, 2021 Zagreb /CRO
Reykjavik International Games, Jan 29 - Jan 31, 2021 Reykjavik /ISL

Egna Dance Trophy, Feb 02 - Feb 07, 2021 Egna /IT
Sofia Trophy, Feb 02 - Feb 07, 2021 Sofia /BUL
Nordics & Nordic Open 2021, Feb 03 - Feb 07, 2021 Copenhagen /DEN
Dragon Trophy & Tivoli Cup, Feb 04 - Feb 07, 2021 Ljubljana /SLO
LuMi Dance Trophy (memory of L. Mikhailovskaya), Feb 10 - Feb 13, 2021 Odessa /UKR
Jegvirag Cup, Feb 12 - Feb 14, 2021 Miskolc /HUN
Open Ice Mall Cup, Feb 17 - Feb 20, 2021 Eilat /ISR
Tallink Hotels Cup, Feb 18 - Feb 21, 2021 Tallinn /EST
Bellu Memorial, Feb 25 - Feb 28, 2021 Bucharest /ROU
Challenge Cup, Feb 25 - Feb 28, 2021 Den Haag /NED

ISU World Junior Figure Skating Championships, Mar 01 - Mar 07, 2021 Harbin /CHN
13th Tirnavia Ice Cup, (new dates) Mar 11 - Mar 14, 2021 Trnava /SVK
Coupe de Printemps, Mar 12 - Mar 14, 2021 Kockelscheuer /LUX
Skate Celje, (new dates) Mar 18 - Mar 21, 2021 Celje /SLO
ISU World Figure Skating Championships, Mar 22 - Mar 28, 2021 Stockholm /SWE
Abu Dhabi Classic Trophy, Mar 26 - Mar 27, 2021 Abu Dhabi /UAE
Egna Spring Trophy, Mar 26 - Mar 28, 2021 Egna /ITA

Spring Talents Cup Ukraine, Apr 01 - Apr 03, 2021 Brovary /UKR
Black Sea Ice Cup, Apr 07 - Apr 11, 2021 Kranevo /BUL
Triglav Trophy & Narcisa Cup, Apr 07 - Apr 11, 2021 Jesenice /SLO
Ice Cup, Apr 09 - Apr 11, 2021 Minsk /BLR
World Team Trophy, Apr 15 - Apr 18, 2021 Osaka /JPN
Kurbada Cup, Apr 17 - Apr 18, 2021 Riga /LAT

ISU International Adult Competition, May 09 - May 15, 2021 Oberstdorf /GER
Uzbekistan Open Figure Skating Competition, May 14 - May 16, 2021 Tashkent /UZB

Last edited:

starrynight

In the article that was posted earlier this week, it was explained that Guillaume got a resident visa earlier this year but Gabby does not have one.

I think Cizeron (and I might be imagining this or confusing him with someone else) has a long term Canadian partner and maybe that helped get the visa through faster?

But he was able to go back to see his family in France and will be quarantining in Canada for 2 weeks on the way back.

However Papadakis can't leave Canada. I feel very very sorry for the athletes who haven't seen family members for almost a year. It must be awful.

Depending on the condition of the world in March, this may well still be an issue for teams training in closed border nations actually going to Worlds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information