ISU to evaluate feasibility of 2020-21 skating season

Prancer

Chitarrista
Staff member
Seriously? You think your cases are low because of lockdowns? I live in CA, the very first state in the US to lock down. The state with the strictest lockdowns. Guess what? We have by far the highest number of cases and deaths. How might you explain that?

If you would like to debate the efficacy of lockdowns, please see the Worldwide Health Forum.

carriecmu0503

If you would like to debate the efficacy of lockdowns, please see the Worldwide Health Forum.

Fine. You can stay on lockdown for the rest of your life if you think they are so efficacious. Others would like to live their lives while they are actually still alive. You really think the world is going to be willing to stay on lockdown until this virus goes away, which is never going to happen....

Sylvia

TBD
Last edited:

Prancer

Chitarrista
Staff member
Fine. You can stay on lockdown for the rest of your life if you think they are so efficacious. Others would like to live their lives while they are actually still alive. You really think the world is going to be willing to stay on lockdown until this ***** goes away, which is never going to happen....

I'm not arguing with you. I'm telling you where arguments about this issue are to be discussed.

Are we clear now or do we need to discuss this by PM?

euterpe

Fine. You can stay on lockdown for the rest of your life if you think they are so efficacious. Others would like to live their lives while they are actually still alive. You really think the world is going to be willing to stay on lockdown until this ***** goes away, which is never going to happen....

It will happen, though---once there is an effective vaccine. But until then, people wherever they live have to take responsibility for not spreading *****. My sister was fortunate to recover after a month in the hospital, but there are still problems: she has difficulty swallowing (even though she was never on a respirator).

Prancer

Chitarrista
Staff member
It will happen, though---once there is an effective vaccine. But until then, people wherever they live have to take responsibility for not spreading *****. My sister was fortunate to recover after a month in the hospital, but there are still problems: she has difficulty swallowing (even though she was never on a respirator).

Worldwide Health Forum.

starrynight

“Travelling is kind of a problem because if the French leave for France I want to be able to be sure they are able to come back to Canada. The ones who have tourist visas cannot so we have to solve that with the federation and Immigration Canada plus there’s also the quarantine."

This is the tricky thing. That risk of getting stuck. Particularly as international flights can be unreliable and expensive at the moment.

And it would be awkward for skaters who have flats, pets etc in Montreal to get stuck in another country. It would probably also be difficult for a coach to go with them if it means the coach is then out of action for 2 weeks following getting back into Canada.

I thought the original idea of having the skaters go to their own domestic competition where they are training was a good compromise. Not sure why it is being epically complicated now. Then again the skaters will be happy to see their families though.

starrynight

I read that the 2022 Olympic arena for figure skating is ready for GPF this season. Wonder if / how this will happen... :40beers:

The amount of time required in quarantine is going to be a killer. Particularly for those athletes who quarantine for their GP event/s and then have to quarantine after/before the GPF. Two events = a month stuck in a hotel room or flat.

Gris

不做奴才做公民
The official account of Cup of China on Weibo had a post today saying this:

2020资生堂中国杯花样滑冰大奖赛,将于11月6-8日,如期在重庆华熙文化体育中心举办!有关今年中国杯赛程、选手名单、转播、票务等事宜,一经确认会尽快向大家公布。

大家可以安排了!

"Shiseido Cup of China 2020 will take place at Huaxi Culture and Sports Center in Chongqing on November 6-8 as scheduled. Once determined, we will announce the time schedule, entry list, broadcasting and tickets arrangements etc. as soon as possible.

You can start making your plans!"

The wording seems to imply that spectators will be allowed.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Figure Skating Turns to Virtual Competition as a *********-19 Fallback

U.S. skaters are competing head-to-head by recording their performances and sending them to a remote judging panel
Your link doesn't work because of the "FSU banned" words in the URL. I fixed the link for you.

It's a Wall Street Journal article (subscription required to read) - refers to USFS' ISP Points Challenge virtual competition that has its own thread in GSD:

Sylvia

TBD
The Colonial FSC has organized a "Cyber Series" for skaters in June, July and August this summer:
This monthly "virtual series is to allow skaters to have a way to to present their programs virtually to a panel of judges" Listed in their June Leaderboard: Amber Glenn scored 70.24 in her Senior Ladies SP.
Update: Amber Glenn submitted a second SP video for July and scored 70.65 (heard she tried 3A this time) and the scores leaderboard (click on the link above & scroll down) is updated with the videos scored in August. Jessica Lin, who trains with Glenn, broke 100 points for her Junior Ladies FS August submission.

It's good to see Skate Canada skaters submitting videos to be judged - I recognize some Cricket club skaters' names in the results, including Australia's Victoria Alcantara in Junior Ladies SP and Canadian Pre-Novice Men's champ Grayson Long in Novice Men SP.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Re-posting here from the 2020 Grand Prix series thread (let's get our hopes up again :D):
Molina's Sept. 20th tweet ("GP assignments of #figureskating should be announced next week, most likely on Wednesday" [today]) wasn't wrong, AFAIK. However, I've heard unofficially that the GP selections announcement by the ISU is being delayed... for a week perhaps? Sorry! :slinkaway

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Molina's Sept. 20th tweet ("GP assignments of #figureskating should be announced next week, most likely on Wednesday" [today]) wasn't wrong, AFAIK. However, I've heard unofficially that the GP selections announcement by the ISU is being delayed... for a week perhaps? Sorry! :slinkaway

Yikes for everyone involved. Especially folks coming in from other states or territories if they don't train in the area. Hopefully the skaters have already been given some idea if they have been considered or not at this stage.

For some reason I'm reminded of a party I was invited to that was already in progress.

Sylvia

TBD
For those without access to the Kiss & Cry section and the competition thread there, event info & daily livestream links are included in the ISU's preview of Nebelhorn Trophy that starts tomorrow: https://www.isu.org/figure-skating/...kstart-of-the-season-2020-21?templateParam=15
Organizing an international competition during the pandemic demands a lot of preparation and planning. The German Skating Federation made sure the event is as safe as possible for all participants on and off the ice for the 52nd edition of Nebelhorn Trophy to take place. For Figure Skating event manager and former ISU Event Coordinator Peter Krick it is a new challenge. “The situation is absolutely new. But the athletes need to get competition experience,” Krick said. “If it takes too long and if our sport is not visible anymore it will disappear. Soccer dominates and the smaller sports that are not so much in the focus are dropping off the radar. The athletes deserve this and we want to prove that it is possible to hold an event.” The usual rules will apply: all participants need to wear masks in the rink unless they are on the ice training or competing. They need to observe social distancing and follow all the hygiene measures.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
Your link doesn't work because of the "FSU banned" words in the URL. I fixed the link for you.

It's a Wall Street Journal article (subscription required to read) - refers to USFS' ISP Points Challenge virtual competition that has its own thread in GSD:

Thank you Sylvia

Interesting because I was able to read it without a subscription. ANL ain’t paying for anything these days. Lol

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
Update: Amber Glenn submitted a second SP video for July and scored 70.65 (heard she tried 3A this time) and the scores leaderboard (click on the link above & scroll down) is updated with the videos scored in Augus

Say what?? She did? This is prime time news for me!!

Ugggg I’m so far behind on figure skating stuff these days. I have no idea what’s happening. Is there a video for Amber?

Sylvia

TBD
Is there a video for Amber?
Not that I know of. If I had a link I would have posted it in her fan thread and not in here. ;)
Molina's Sept. 20th tweet ("GP assignments of #figureskating should be announced next week, most likely on Wednesday" [today]) wasn't wrong, AFAIK. However, I've heard unofficially that the GP selections announcement by the ISU is being delayed... for a week perhaps?
Molina's follow-up today: https://twitter.com/_David_Molina/status/1309041459736256512
TBC, not official. It looks like the announce may finally be delayed for at least 1 more week. There should be an online Council Meeting next week, hopefully this will bring more clarity. Really looking forward to the outcome of their discussion #waitandsee #StaySafe
ETA that I was able to read the WSJ article on my phone and here's the best quote, IMO (from Nathan):
Alone on the ice he was able to skate without the mask he has worn for training--sparking a shocking realization mid-performance: "I've forgotten how to animate my face."

Last edited:

Orm Irian

Entries look a lot like NHT 2.0 but I take it!

I was starting to think this event wouldn't happen, given Hungary isn't in the greatest place re the lurgi right now. And I guess it still may not. But let's be optimistic! And keep our fingers crossed for the skaters' health, of course. Especially as Ivett Toth is on the list for this one. :)

Sylvia

TBD
Thanks for starting the Budapest Trophy thread in Kiss & Cry, @Jeschke. I noticed this was posted in the German news thread:
Not sure if Volvo Cup [Nov. 3-8 in Riga, Latvia - no Announcement yet] and Budapest will work. Budapest is named high risk, so I'm not sure if DEU will send athletes and Latvia has a 10 day quarantine, unless they have special rules for athletes.
(I saw one Swiss junior skater refer to Budapest Trophy as being too high risk to compete there.)

ISU Press release today:

"Considering the pandemic developments and related impact on the organizers and participants of ISU Events, the ISU Council decided to cancel or postpone the following ISU Events:

ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final, Beijing/China - December 10-13, 2020 (Olympic Test Event)" - currently listed as POSTPONED in the calendar on the ISU website

Concerning the Olympic Test Events in Beijing there were also a number of logistical points raised by potentially participating teams that meant that hosting the competitions on the scheduled dates (close to the end of year holidays and National Championships) would have impacted on the number of participants, given the potential need to quarantine on returning to their home country.
The ISU, in consultation with all stakeholders and considering the pandemic developments, is evaluating the continuation of the 2020/21 season, in particular the re-scheduling possibilities for the important Olympic Test Events. The ISU will communicate the conclusions at a later date.

Last edited:

Gris

不做奴才做公民
Maybe the WJC in March 2021 can be moved from Harbin to Beijing and used as the test event if the rescheduling of GPF fails. I'm not optimistic though.

Sylvia

TBD
Gorshkov commented on the decision on the Grand Prix Final:
"This information is fundamentally nothing new. Apparently, the final decision had to be agreed with the organizers. Probably. This decision is logical. But the fact is that the Beijing Grand Prix Final is a test competition before the Olympic Games. That is, it is a tournament performing two functions. As I understand it, apparently China cannot host this tournament yet, "Gorshkov said over the phone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information