ISU to evaluate feasibility of 2020-21 skating season

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
It is a cooperation between Israel and India, a large team from Israel will be leaving soon to India since in India it will be possible to conduct mass-testings. They will be testing several technologies that are candidates for these fast tests. Hopefully, it will work. I don't have any links to articles in English but there were several articles on Israeli websites this week. I assume other countries are also working on it.
Oh, that! Think I saw a glimpse mainly with `how unethical it is doing the drug trials on the Indians'. It briefly mentioned in fact it was the tests, not drugs.

starrynight

Fast tests sound good.

My friend now has to wait about 3 days which is difficult because the requirement to isolate stops work and plans.

angi

Oh, that! Think I saw a glimpse mainly with `how unethical it is doing the drug trials on the Indians'. It briefly mentioned in fact it was the tests, not drugs.
I had the same initial concern until I checked further, it's standard cooperation between medical teams in both countries and it will be testing only which makes a lot of sense considering that the size of the population in each country and the density of it play a big factor when you want to conduct mass-testing. And the parties involved include several well-renowned scientists so I don't have any concern about anything unethical happening.

MsZem

I see the sea
I posted about it in the medical/vaccine thread (a more appropriate for this topic, I think). It was reported in the Israeli media some time back - the specific links I used are English Ynet and Calcalist, and it was in the Hebrew versions as well.

taz'smum

'Be Kind' - every skater has their own story
This could change things: One-minute ******** breath test invented in Israel

Whilst this is better than waiting 3 days for the results, the problem with both types of tests is that it is a snapshot of your vir*s status. You can test negative but have been exposed to the vir*s in the last few days and so would test positive a few days later!
You need a negative test and 4 to 5 days of quarantine IMO.

MsZem

I see the sea
Whilst this is better than waiting 3 days for the results, the problem with both types of tests is that it is a snapshot of your vir*s status. You can test negative but have been exposed to the vir*s in the last few days and so would test positive a few days later!
You need a negative test and 4 to 5 days of quarantine IMO.
If you're negative at a specific point of time, it means that it is probably safe for you to engage in an activity at that point in time - school, travel, medical treatment, and of course, sports events. That's a valuable thing to have available, especially if it can be used widely and cheaply (no idea if that's the case).

Enchanted

@MsZem I believe you can spread the virus even if the test is still negative. I read it somewhere but can’t remember where.

Also, testing is rather expensive. The ISU and the federations would need to have a lot of extra money.

MsZem

I see the sea
@MsZem I believe you can spread the ***** even if the test is still negative. I read it somewhere but can’t remember where.
There are a couple of tests being developed, and they can detect asymptomatic carriers:
NanoScent’s kit absorbs the vapors of the decomposition processes that occurs when the COVID-19 contagion penetrates the host’s nose or pharynx - this means that the kit is also capable of detecting non-symptomatic coronavirus carriers as early as four days after initial infection.
I don't know what happens if someone is contagious before four days after initial infection. But from what I gather that's been a challenge for other tests, too. Combined with other strategies, this could still dramatically reduce the odds of people getting infected at places like... skating competitions :)

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
From earlier in the thread:

"The ISU Council will meet again online on August 3 to evaluate the ********* developments and related situation and to update the season planning for the ISU senior Events."

maureenfarone

From earlier in the thread:

"The ISU Council will meet again online on August 3 to evaluate the ********* developments and related situation and to update the season planning for the ISU senior Events."
Thanks Sylvia. I thought the big decision was coming on August 1, but guess we will have to wait a few more days.

reut

It is a cooperation between Israel and India, a large team from Israel will be leaving soon to India since in India it will be possible to conduct mass-testings. They will be testing several technologies that are candidates for these fast tests. Hopefully, it will work. I don't have any links to articles in English but there were several articles on Israeli websites this week. I assume other countries are also working on it.

AFAIK Israeli delegation has already left to India. I read it on Ynet, but won't be able to find it now.
From basic googling I found this in English:
(sorry, you will need to replace *** in url, didn't find a way to post a link)

The delegation will fly to India with the Israeli technologies that have been mobilized for the job by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to help India cope with the Covid-19 crisis, which is especially severe on the subcontinent. The plane will also carry ventilators which are being exported to India with special approval.

According to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, since the outbreak of the virus, the Administration for the Development of Weapons and Technological Infrastructure has examined dozens of identification and detection technologies. Some of them are ready for use and have successfully undergone trials in Israel but in order to complete the research and prove their effectiveness, they must be tried out on a broader range of patients who have tested positive for the disease. Such trials would be difficult to complete in Israel within a very short time. Collaboration between Israel and India will enable the delegation to gather tens of thousands of samples within just 10 days and feed them through AI based computer systems.

The four technologies that will be tested in India involve: analyzing voice waves, respiratory identification based on terahertz waves, isothermic identification, and polyamic acids testing. What all of them have in common is the ability to swiftly diagnose the presence of Covid-19 in the body, sometimes within just a few minutes.

Winnipeg

What if they did a bubble format? I think it would work for a one-time large event like Worlds. I think this could be easily planned.

However, am not sure how one would do this for the Grand P events. I think the continual travel also would make it hard.

What if the skaters competed via video with judges online? It would be odd but one would save some time as you may not need as many ice cleaning.

Can you skate with a mask? I could see incorporating masks into the costume.

Sylvia

TBD
Jordan Cowan has produced/filmed an exhibition show in Los Angeles that will stream for free on Monday, August 3rd at 11am Pacific Time/2pm Eastern on his On Ice Perspectives YT channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uX9lpS1iMFU
Join LA Elite Ice and On Ice Perspectives for the first truly skating event of 2020-21 season. Skaters will perform new routines one-by-one for a live virtual audience, and all are invited! We hope you enjoy and would love to hear your applause and feedback in the live chat.
(Skating Order TBD - maybe I'll start a new GSD thread before it starts?)

LA Elite Ice is based in Lakewood, California, and the coaches are Ivan Dinev, Angela Nikodinov, Derrick Delmore, Peter Kongkasem, and Anastasia Sharenkova. Their skaters who competed at 2020 U.S. Nationals were Starr Andrews, Caitlin Ha, Alex Evans & Joonsoo Kim in Senior and Goku Endo and Michelle Lee in Junior.

ETA:

I've started a fan/appreciation thread for On Ice Perspectives' Jordan & his work and have included the link to his virtual exhibition that will stream on Monday, August 3rd: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/threads/on-ice-perspectives-video-appreciation-thread.107449/

Last edited:

Foolhardy Ham Lint

I know that elite skaters are about 50 times fitter than me.

But man, even walking the 5km home from work each day is so much more tiring now that masks are mandatory outside.

If you've ever seen a skater up close in the mixed zone after a performance, a lot of them are absolutely dripping with perspiration. I really can't see that working very well.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I also think wearing them during a performance is not remotely necessary. They are on an enormous ice surface by themselves (or with their partner who they are social bubbling with). Now before they get on, during the warmup and in the Kiss n Cry are places with more people and less social distancing so maybe masks are a good idea there. But not during a performance.

And, yes, I've been running in a mask and it's pretty horrible. Especially because I'm a mouth breather!

ballettmaus

Block has developed masks for dancers and Under Armor has developed an athletics mask and I'm seeing dancers dance (train) with a mask, so I don't see why not. (Not saying it's necessarily comfortable, just possible). Although, as MacMadame mentioned, when you have the ice to yourself, there probably is no need to.

insideedgeua

I know that elite skaters are about 50 times fitter than me.

But man, even walking the 5km home from work each day is so much more tiring now that masks are mandatory outside.

If you've ever seen a skater up close in the mixed zone after a performance, a lot of them are absolutely dripping with perspiration. I really can't see that working very well.

While it’s not an every session thing, elite skaters use masks to build lung capacity.
When events are held in high altitude rinks like Salt Lake City and Colorado Springs, it’s not uncommon for skaters in low altitude rinks to use masks for 2-3 weeks before they leave to compete.
The idea being if they increase their lung capacity before they leave, they should cope better at the higher altitude.

Mask wearing is definitely possible, but as they are about protecting people around you, wouldn’t be required during an event. The audience is usually more than 6 feet away. Even better if they’re behind hockey plexiglass.

Pairs and dance wouldn’t be an issue either, they’re already in such close contact that they would have shared anything they have with each other. The same would go for their coach in K and C.

Masks would be appropriate for the bus to the rink and in public areas of the athlete hotel. Very similar to what was expected at 4CC this year. Temperatures were taken upon arrival at the hotel and every time the athle

Bigbird

What if they did a bubble format? I think it would work for a one-time large event like Worlds. I think this could be easily planned.

However, am not sure how one would do this for the Grand P events. I think the continual travel also would make it hard.

What if the skaters competed via video with judges online? It would be odd but one would save some time as you may not need as many ice cleaning.

Very few persons can do any vigorous activity for example brisk walking with a mask, very uncomfortable.

Orm Irian

Finlandia's just added an announcement for the synchro short program competition to its website. It looks like they're pretty serious about running the event - though they're probably in the best possible place to, with their daily new case numbers hovering around 10 for the past few weeks.

And tomorrow is the ISU meeting about the Grand Prix, which, let's be realistic, will be the meeting to cancel the Grand Prix. I hope Finlandia and Nebelhorn have robust livestreams set up, because if they go ahead the entire skating world is going to be watching out of sheer desperation!

manhn

I watched hockey last night. I thought the NHL did a very good job of generating some semblance of energy with all the lights and signs, even with no people in the stands. Some good tips for ISU, which they won’t take.

MsZem

I see the sea
I watched hockey last night. I thought the NHL did a very good job of generating some semblance of energy with all the lights and signs, even with no people in the stands. Some good tips for ISU, which they won’t take.
The ISU could drop Poohs from the ceiling, or add virtual Poohs. And other virtual stuffed animals/flowers, as needed.

I like the cardboard cutouts of fans that they have in a lot of stadiums.

Bigbird

The ISU could drop Poohs from the ceiling, or add virtual Poohs. And other virtual stuffed animals/flowers, as needed.

I like the cardboard cutouts of fans that they have in a lot of stadiums.

I wonder if they will move all athletes to one giant facility with their coaches and physiotherapists and other therapists for them to acclimate together and just have all the events there? Complete isolation from October straight through to December? Could happen if China does intend to follow through on the GPF? Completely X-Files moment..LOL.

concorde

I wonder if they will move all athletes to one giant facility with their coaches and physiotherapists and other therapists for them to acclimate together and just have all the events there? Complete isolation from October straight through to December? Could happen if China does intend to follow through on the GPF? Completely X-Files moment..LOL.
The NFL has lots of money.

I really doubt the ISU has the kinds of money it would take to pull that off. Maybe they could charge member federation for the housing and associated services. My guess is maybe the Russian, Japanese, and Chinaneses federations could afford the pay. I doubt USFS and most of the smaller federations are flush enough to pay.

Bigbird

The NFL has lots of money.

I really doubt the ISU has the kinds of money it would take to pull that off. Maybe they could charge member federation for the housing and associated services. My guess is maybe the Russian, Japanese, and Chinaneses federations could afford the pay. I doubt USFS and most of the smaller federations are flush enough to pay.

Agree. It's better to cancel and hope for the best come March/April. The world needs a vaccine.

Winnipeg

They could combine the big 4 month bubble with a live reality show about skaters who are stuck together for that long of a time with coaches etc and the competitive aspect. Could be better than Big Brother or Survivor. Think of the revenue!!! I think we are on to something here folks...........

x number of hotels, x number of rinks, other facilities all isolated with camera crews, drama, judges,

Actually, the judges could probably do that remotely.

Sylvia

TBD
Skaters have started competing domestically in New Zealand, Australia, USA, Japan and China (any other countries yet?) - so that's good news.

MsZem

I see the sea
They could combine the big 4 month bubble with a live reality show about skaters who are stuck together for that long of a time with coaches etc and the competitive aspect. Could be better than Big Brother or Survivor. Think of the revenue!!! I think we are on to something here folks...........

x number of hotels, x number of rinks, other facilities all isolated with camera crews, drama, judges,

Actually, the judges could probably do that remotely.
This is the true story
Of seven skaters
Picked to live in a house
And have their lives taped
To find out what happens
When people stop being polite
And start getting real.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information