ISU to evaluate feasibility of 2020-21 skating season

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Didn’t the Japanese Olympic committee say that if they couldn’t be held in 2021 they would have to cancel?
I'm secretly hoping they'll delay long enough that one of the two men on the US surfing team will drop out and Kelly Slater will get the alternate spot. He should have had one of the spots anyway. :drama:

Sylvia

TBD
BEIJING, July 9 (Xinhua) -- China will not hold international sport events in 2020 except for the Beijing 2022 Olympic trials, the General Administration of Sport of China announced the decision on Thursday.
The Grand Prix Final in December was supposed to be a test run for the refurbished Capitol Indoor Stadium Olympic venue in Beijing, but it may be difficult to qualify skaters for the Final...

victorskid

Happily ignoring ultracrepidarians (& trolls)!

Sylvia

TBD
Presumably this would mean no Cup of China (Nov. 6-8 in Chongqing) too?
Right (eta: unless it's considered a qualifying comp. for the Final?), and an ISU Challenger in Beijing (Asian Open FS Trophy) was already postponed from its original September date.

Last edited:

Moustaffask8r

Presumably this would mean no Cup of China (Nov. 6-8 in Chongqing) too?
Right now some European country, even if boarder are in fact open, have the discretionary right to refuse entry! It's a huge risk right now on so many level to go ahead with events....

skatingguy

decently
I reading in a few places that the announcement from China may have been mistranslated, and that the intent of the statement was to affirm that Olympic test events would occur, but that a decision on other sporting events has not been made yet. Maybe someone else will find an official confirmation on this.

Gris

不做奴才做公民

(Official website of the General Administration of Sport of China)

除北京冬奥会测试赛等重要赛事外,今年内原则上不举办其他国际性体育赛事和活动。

'Except for important events like the test events of Beijing Olympics, in principle, no other international sports event and activity will be held this year.'

According to the wording, the events they still plan to hold are test events + other (not specified) 'important events' so it's not test events only. I don't see a GP or CS event be categorized as 'important' though.

Last edited:

MacMadame

Doing all the things
That could be a moot point if there is actually no GP series to feed into the Final.
They could come up with something. It would be to the benefit of the ISU and the skaters that the test event be held so they just need a way to decide who goes and call it something else.

I don't see a GP or CS event be categorized as 'important' though.
I see the GP event as being important because of the GPF being a test event.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
They could come up with something. It would be to the benefit of the ISU and the skaters that the test event be held so they just need a way to decide who goes and call it something else.

I see the GP event as being important because of the GPF being a test event.
But not to China. They only have one real Olympic medal hope in figure skating and they've proven before the government just doesn't place that much importance on skating.

Lil Sarah

You can kiss the season good bye. Heck the Euro countries won't let American's in. They still let our money in just not our people.

I mean, at this *** rate, can you blame them? I live in Canada, along the border, until March I was skating in the USA 2 days a week, my coach came here 2 days a week. Her kids are half in Canada and half in the USA with her. It's still not safe to open the border to the closest neighbour even though we'd really love to for many reasons. Health and safety has to be the top priority.

victorskid

Happily ignoring ultracrepidarians (& trolls)!
According to a Twitter post from IFS Magazine, the ISU Council will hold a virtual meeting on August 3rd about the senior GP series. This is based on a Russian article/tweet: https://twitter.com/ifsmagazine/status/1281579107592081408

A Google translate of the Tass headline says: The meeting of the ISU Council on the adult stages of the Grand Prix will be held on August 3

Sylvia

TBD
This speculative article claims that "according to a Japanese source from Sport24" Rika Kihira will not train with Brian Orser due to the travel restrictions and that "Skaters are already preparing for the fact that they will compete only within their own countries.":

Bigbird

This speculative article claims that "according to a Japanese source from Sport24" Rika Kihira will not train with Brian Orser due to the travel restrictions and that "Skaters are already preparing for the fact that they will compete only within their own countries.":

Makes sense, we're already at the middle of July, right?

AngieNikodinovLove

Frangi & Piazza & Paul & Hektor & Theo. Oh My! 😝
USFSA tweeted out they are going ahead with the "Amber Glenn Challenge" and the "Bradie Tennell Cup!!!!!"

Just sayin

Bigbird

Ewww, gross. American cash is infiltrating Europe? YUCKY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The issue would be equity. Let the kids have their local competitions and nationals. A grand prix has many moving parts and many opportunities for contagion. This is not the end of the world. Everybody needs to hang tough, let them all go find work to help their countries survive until a vaccine is available.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information