ISU comm 2019: Changes accepted by the 56th ISU Congress for Ice Dance (incl. SD rythms for 17-18)

VGThuy

Out of the top teams, I really only see Papadakis/Cizeron successfully bringing the sex. Madison Chock will come close, but I fear she'll lack chemistry with Evan. The Shibs will have an impossible time bringing the Sex just because I don't think they've ever done a program like that AND they have to find a way to bring it without bringing it to each other. They're not the Kerrs or the Hubbells, so I think they won't even try and instead will try to sell the Latin rhythm in a different way. I just hope it's more successful than in 2012.

lauravvv

Out of the top teams, I really only see Papadakis/Cizeron successfully bringing the sex. Madison Chock will come close, but I fear she'll lack chemistry with Evan. The Shibs will have an impossible time bringing the Sex just because I don't think they've ever done a program like that AND they have to find a way to bring it without bringing it to each other.
Forgive me for not remembering, but apparently you are one of those who think that Virtue/Moir can't really bring the sex and it's all just "mushy", lyrical romance with them? If so, then I don't agree (and clearly I am not the only one). There was just enough sex in their 2011/2012 season Rhumba SD and their earlier Latin FD (not mentioning the 'Carmen' FD, as it's a different type of "sex" than the latin dances require) without being over the top. I bet they will be capable of bringing it even more now.

I know that some have said that V/M can't do intense sexy (which I don't quite agree with), but latin dances require light and flirtatious sexy that they have already done and which Tessa is especially good at, or the sensual and subtle sexy (Rhumba itself), not the intense and in your face sexy (which 'Carmen' was, by the way - especially in later show versions where they could perform with more freedom). The show version of their Latin FD was even steamy at parts. I hope that they will be able to skate with enough freedom to bring it also to their competitive performances now.

Last edited:

VGThuy

Forgive me for not remembering, but apparently you are one of those who think that Virtue/Moir can't really bring the the sex and it's all just "mushy", lyrical romance with them? If so, then I don't agree (and clearly I am not the only one). There was just enough sex in their 2011/2012 season Rhumba SD and their earlier Latin FD (not mentioning the 'Carmen' FD, as it's a different type of "sex" than the latin dances require) without being over the top. I bet they will be capable of bringing it even more now.

I know that some have said that V/M can't do intense sexy (which I don't quite agree with), but latin dances require light and flirtatious sexy that they have already done and which Tessa is especially good at, or the sensual and subtle sexy (Rhumba itself), not the intense and in your face sexy (which 'Carmen' was, by the way - especially in later show versions where they could perform with more freedom). The show version of their Latin FD was even steamy at parts. I hope that they will be able to skate with enough freedom to bring it also to their competitive performances now.

Geez, calm down. I differentiate "sexy" from "THE SEX" which is basically a FSU trademark and means something quite distinct (to me). And you don't know what my opinions are about V/M if you think that I think what they have done in the past is "mushy" or that that's all I think they can do.

lauravvv

Geez, calm down. I differentiate "sexy" from "THE SEX" which is basically a FSU trademark and means something quite distinct (to me). And you don't know what my opinions are about V/M if you think that I think what they have done in the past is "mushy" or that that's all I think they can do.
I am already calm - or at least I was until you suggested that saying one's opinion which is different from yours means that the person expressing that opinion is automatically not calm/somehow "bothered" or something. That's often an easy way to avoid truly responding to anyone who does not share your opinion.

So you think that V/M can be/are sexy, but can't bring The Sex, at least not to latin dances, do I understand you right? And what is that difference in your opinion? For me personally an individual can be sexy (in the same way as he/she can be attractive), but The Sex depends on chemistry between two. And I think that V/M have that kind of chemistry. I truly have no idea what The Sex is for you, or even what that FSU trademark is (apparently) although I have been a member here for quite a long time and have read a lot of posts, including specifically about ice dance.

VGThuy

Well considering that you took my comment about how I only thought P/C could bring the sex and turned it into a treatise of how I slighted Virtue/Moir and why I was wrong and how I'm one of those people who only think V/M only do "mushy" programs...then again needlessly repeated your opinion as if trying to change my mind on whether I find V/M to bring "The Sex" and seeming to take offense over the fact that I don't think they do, I think my comment about you being a bit too bothered (and overly sensitive about V/M) and thus needing to calm down a bit was warranted on my part.

You may have been a member since 2011, but I've been a member since 2003, and based in my own observation, "the sex" was used much more often before V/M and D/W dominated ice dance.

C

casken

Gah, all this talking of the importance of "the sex" is just as discouraging as the talk about "chemistry".

People will see it where they want to see it. It means nothing.

People insist teams like Hubbell and Donahue are "the sex", where as I just get nothing sexual from them. They might as well be siblings.

I want teams who can actually move their bodies the correct way in time with the music. That would be nice.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information