ISU announces appointment of new Director General

victorskid

Happily ignoring ultracrepidarians (& trolls)!
After 27 years, Director General Fredi Schmid will be retiring at the end of this year - the new DG will be Colin Smith, effective 1 January 2024.

Willin

Interesting that just like USFS they're looking to someone that's an outsider to the sport but with valuable experience and connections to other sports.

Unlike USFS they've chosen someone from an organization known for bribery, corruption, and general stupidity.

bardtoob

ISU will need to appoint a new Sports Technical Director for Figure Skating too as Charles Zyr sadly died last month.

I am sorry to hear that. Charlie's name pop-up on this site more than a few times in the couple of decades (šŸ˜“) I have been on this forum.

Among other things, he was:

• U.S. Figure Skating Team Leader for the 2002 Olympic Winter Games in Salt Lake City
  • Ice Dance Judge at the 2010 Olympic Winter Games in Vancouver
  • ISU-Level Judge, Referee, Data & Replay Operator, and Technical Controller for Single Skating, Pair Skating and Ice Dance
  • ISU IJS contributor
  • ISU Sports Technical Director Figure Skating
He has been mentioned in figure skating related article that have appeared in the New York Times and Wall Street Journal.

Last edited:

eurodance2001

I am sorry to hear that. Charlie's name pop-up on this site more than a few times in the couple of decades (šŸ˜“) I have been on this forum.

Among other things, he was:

• U.S. Figure Skating Team Leader for the 2002 Olympic Winter Games in Salt Lake City
  • Ice Dance Judge at the 2010 Olympic Winter Games in Vancouver
  • ISU-Level Judge, Referee, Data & Replay Operator, and Technical Controller for Single Skating, Pair Skating and Ice Dance
  • ISU IJS contributor
  • ISU Sports Technical Director Figure Skating
He has been mentioned in figure skating related article that have appeared in the New York Times and Wall Street Journal.

Here is his obituary: https://www.legacy.com/us/obituaries/legacyremembers/charles-cyr-obituary?id=52428720

The ceremony is tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information