I, Tonya

bardtoob

Sidebar ..... how many times did Tonya actually land a triple axel from the first one in 1991?

In competition? I think three times:

US Nationals 1991 LP
Worlds 1991 LP
Skate America 1991 SP/LP

I believe she could have skated at Trophée Lalique 1991 (Trophée de France, Trophée Éric Bompard, Internationaux de France ...) but declined the invitation.

ETA: Tonya's comments on Trophee Lalique

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPkx-43lkmo&feature=youtu.be&t=19

Last edited:

BaileyCatts

This is interesting. I've never seen this clip before. Does anyone know the background of this exhibition skate, why it occurred, etc.? She is wearing her Olympics LP dress, skating at a mall rink. Was this skated before she left for Olympics while the story was still unfolding? It seems odd if it happened after she came back from Norway since by then, I thought she was pretty much a pariah. There doesn't seem to be any confirmation in the Comments of when, exactly, it was skated, or what the reason was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijMqinJI3PY

Simone411

To Boldly Explore Figure Skating Around The World
I think you all are missing the forest for the tree. No matter what topic or what specifics are to be discussed, not a single poor choice made by Tonya is ever her own fault. Ever. Period.
I agree, and I'm just wondering how much money Tonya will make off of this movie. Whatever amount it is, she'll be getting paid for what she did, IMO, and does it make it right for her to be receiving royalties or however it's done? I guess it makes it okay for someone to commit a crime and now become famous because we all know that millions will pay to watch this movie. The more money it makes, the more money she'll more than likely receive from allowing them to make a movie that is basicly fiction and not fact to what Tonya actually did.

There's no excuse for what she did, and putting the blame on abuse doesn't make it right, either. She still knew right from wrong, and it never had to happen ... but it did happen. Period.

chapis

I do not know if this was already answered but the thread is long. Does anyone know which skater they used for the movie? I know that Margot learned to skate, but I suppose they had to hire a real figure skater for the jumps and difficult elements.

bardtoob

I do not know if this was already answered but the thread is long. Does anyone know which skater they used for the movie? I know that Margot learned to skate, but I suppose they had to hire a real figure skater for the jumps and difficult elements.

Anna Malkova
Heidi Munger

skatingguy

decently

Anna Malkova
Heidi Munger
And the 3A was created in CGI, because there was no skater available who could land that element.

Simone411

To Boldly Explore Figure Skating Around The World
As has been mentioned above, she was paid for the rights to her story. That is typically a lump sum, not royalties so it doesn't really matter how popular the movie is.
I'm glad. Thanks for the info. I've really haven't cared to read a lot about the movie. Sometimes I read and respond in here, but I haven't read all the pages of this thread from the beginning.

I guess I would have known that if I had taken time out to read up on it a little more. It's no loss for me, though, to know that much more. I'm really more interested in the upcoming international Nationals championships, US Nationals, Europeans, Worlds and Olympics minus the Tonya melodrama. :)

cmk

Heidi Munger and another double- Heidi was closer to Margot's height than Tonya so they had another double for the jumps. The 3axel was cgi.

cmk

I agree, and I'm just wondering how much money Tonya will make off of this movie. Whatever amount it is, she'll be getting paid for what she did, IMO, and does it make it right for her to be receiving royalties or however it's done? I guess it makes it okay for someone to commit a crime and now become famous because we all know that millions will pay to watch this movie. The more money it makes, the more money she'll more than likely receive from allowing them to make a movie that is basicly fiction and not fact to what Tonya actually did.

There's no excuse for what she did, and putting the blame on abuse doesn't make it right, either. She still knew right from wrong, and it never had to happen ... but it did happen. Period.
She did not plan the attack on Nancy. Her hubby and his friends did that behind her back. She only plead guily to the cover-up (which is knowing after, not before). The attack didn't need to happen- Tonya was perfectly capable of beating Nancy on the ice = Tonya was actually the far superior skater. I am ok with her getting paid for her life rights- its her story from beginning to the boxing career. It might also give her enough to give her 6 year old son a better start in life than she got.
The girl playing Nancy only has one line in the entire movie. Nancy was not an innocent sweatheart either- she did break up her agent's marriage, said nasty things, and had a bad attitude in her first year of pro comps (not training for them and finishing behind skaters like Rory Flack and Charlene Wong for example, or jus t acting like she didn't want to be there.
I disagree with the usfsa stripping her of the 94 title because it gives people the greivously erroneus impression that Nancy would of won if she had competed. Tonya skated very well at 94 nationals and if you only judge the skating, Tonya would have won over Nancy anyway. I also disagreed with the ban from pro comps- Scott Hamilton blackballed the wrong skater in my opinion- jefferson-pilot ladies pros should of been both the first and the last competition of Nancy's pro career.

cmk

She did not plan the attack on Nancy. Her hubby and his friends did that behind her back. She only plead guily to the cover-up (which is knowing after, not before). The attack didn't need to happen- Tonya was perfectly capable of beating Nancy on the ice = Tonya was actually the far superior skater. I am ok with her getting paid for her life rights- its her story from beginning to the boxing career. It might also give her enough to give her 6 year old son a better start in life than she got.
The girl playing Nancy only has one line in the entire movie. Nancy was not an innocent sweatheart either- she did break up her agent's marriage, said nasty things, and had a bad attitude in her first year of pro comps (not training for them and finishing behind skaters like Rory Flack and Charlene Wong for example, or jus t acting like she didn't want to be there.
I disagree with the usfsa stripping her of the 94 title because it gives people the greivously erroneus impression that Nancy would of won if she had competed. Tonya skated very well at 94 nationals and if you only judge the skating, Tonya would have won over Nancy anyway. I also disagreed with the ban from pro comps- Scott Hamilton blackballed the wrong skater in my opinion- jefferson-pilot ladies pros should of been both the first and the last competition of Nancy's pro career.
This is interesting. I've never seen this clip before. Does anyone know the background of this exhibition skate, why it occurred, etc.? She is wearing her Olympics LP dress, skating at a mall rink. Was this skated before she left for Olympics while the story was still unfolding? It seems odd if it happened after she came back from Norway since by then, I thought she was pretty much a pariah. There doesn't seem to be any confirmation in the Comments of when, exactly, it was skated, or what the reason was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijMqinJI3PY

cmk

It was 94 after the olympics but before the ban according to someone who claimed to have skated in the mall ice show with her. It was also a very good performance imo, and I wish she had used that music for the free skate in the olympics instead of jurassic park.

Sylvia

TBD
How to Turn Margot Robbie Into Tonya Harding (Dec. 7, 2017): http://www.vulture.com/2017/12/how-margot-robbie-became-tonya-harding-in-i-tonya.html
For whatever Robbie couldn’t master, [Sarah] Kawahara was tasked with finding body doubles — which proved tricky, and not just because the five-foot-six Robbie is taller than most figure skaters. It was also a tough time to find athletes who could do jumps like the triple Lutz, Kawahara says, because the film would be shooting during the [2017] U.S. Figure Skating Championships. So Anna Malkova, who competes for France, and Heidi Munger, an alternate for the U.S. national team, ended up booking their first-ever film work in I, Tonya.
Munger competed Senior at 2016 U.S. Nationals and was first alternate (5th at Eastern Sectionals) the past 2 years. Malkova competed at French Masters this past fall but has yet to compete at Nationals.

ETA:

Munger attended the LA premiere at the Egyptian Theatre in West Hollywood, CA on Dec. 5 and shared 5 photos here: https://www.instagram.com/p/BcYFsaOlICF/?hl=en&taken-by=heidimungs
Munger with Robbie on ice during the filming: https://www.instagram.com/p/BcDgxUOFc1V/
Malkova with Harding at the same premiere: https://www.instagram.com/p/BcW_xUJlY0Q/?hl=en&taken-by=anyuta717

Last edited:

bardtoob

:eek:

One brief sequence in the film implies Harding hit a rough patch in her skating career in 1992. “When she got to Albertville [for the Olympics], she was 15 pounds heavier, so she actually had a fat suit on for that,” Gillespie says.

Ice skating in a fat suit, it turns out, feels exactly how you think it would. “It changes your timing and makes you feel a little more sluggish,” I, Tonya skating coach Sarah Kawahara says. “You skate differently. Your reflexes aren’t quite as quick. Your jumps are harder.” Even though “it was only maybe a half an inch on the inside [of their thighs],”

Kawahara says both of Robbie’s body doubles were alarmed at the feeling of so much excess weight between their legs while wearing it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information