I, Tonya

BaileyCatts

Tonya's doing press. She's already taped a 20/20 special and has an interview with Portland Monthly coming out.

I figured that would end up happening. Well, if anything it will be interesting to see how the story changes (yet again). Somebody in Portland post that link when it comes out. :p

BaileyCatts

I really don't want to check back thru 663 posts in this thread, but somewhere on this board (either this thread or another one) I think someone said they timed it out once and it worked out timing wise that Josee still ended up on the ice at pretty much the same time she would have if Tonya would have had a normal skate. I still think it had to mess with her mentally simply due to the absurdity of the whole situation, people going nuts back stage, etc., but I never heard her blame the situation for a messy skate. Sure she was a nervous skater at times, but I'll always wonder how she would have skated where it not for Tonya and her broken lace! :mad:

bardtoob

After thinking about what @skatesindreams has been saying, I hope that Tonya's story does not "vindicate her" but more makes her a "cautionary tale" and the cautionary tale is what enters legend.

VGThuy

Do I know if she was really involved [in the Kerrigan attack]? No. I’ll never know. But I didn’t care about that.

Well, that seems clear. Of course that didn't stop both the interviewer and the screenwriter from forming an opinion about her lifetime ban from "NISA".

Japanfan

I will never forget that as long as I live. I still watch my VHS tape from time to time. At the very least, Tonya became The Shoelace Queen! I felt sorry for Josee Chouinard because she was forced to skate next which was totally unexpected.

What happened exactly? I didn't see that comp.

Did Tonya pull out due to the shoe lace, forcing Josee to skate earlier than planned?

Simone411

To Boldly Explore Figure Skating Around The World
What happened exactly? I didn't see that comp.

Did Tonya pull out due to the shoe lace, forcing Josee to skate earlier than planned?
Yes. The link I posted is after Tonya stopped her program, started crying and went up to the judges to show her shoelace to them. Her shoelace was too short, and she claimed it wouldn't support her foot and ankle. She continued to cry, and the judges allowed Tonya to go to the side of the rink in order to fix her shoelace. She was given so much time to fix it, but it wasn't happening and she started coughing with her asthma, etc.

So they then stopped her program and allowed her to try to get that shoelace fixed and it forced Josee to have to skate early where Tonya could try to get her shoelace fixed. There was so much commotion going on because of the Tonya shoelace drama, but yet, Josee had to focus and try to get that off her mind.

The link I provided was where Tonya was trying to fix that shoelace, having the asthma attack, and Josee coming out to do her Free Skate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oa6KKL3HGaM

I truly believe under any other circumstances that Josee would have been alright and could have skated better. If there wouldn't have been all of the drama and attention by media etc. fixed on Tonya, I believe Josee could have handled it much better. But there was the drama, and then the media then went with the fact that Josee had to skate next because of it.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

I really don't want to check back thru 663 posts in this thread, but somewhere on this board (either this thread or another one) I think someone said they timed it out once and it worked out timing wise that Josee still ended up on the ice at pretty much the same time she would have if Tonya would have had a normal skate. I still think it had to mess with her mentally simply due to the absurdity of the whole situation, people going nuts back stage, etc., but I never heard her blame the situation for a messy skate. Sure she was a nervous skater at times, but I'll always wonder how she would have skated where it not for Tonya and her broken lace! :mad:

As I wrote in an earlier post, Chouinard had a reputation as a nervous competitor on the international scene.

I saw Josee skate live and in person at the Canadian Championships prior to the 1994 Olympics. She skated a brilliant short program, and an excellent free (barring a fall on the second triple lutz late in the program).

Had Chouinard skated clean in both the short and free in Lillehammer, she had a real shot at the medal podium.

Sadly, she fell on the combination in the short program, and was probably already feeling pressure to redeem herself in the long. The chaos backstage surrounding Harding could not have helped, I'm sure.

jenniferlyon

Speaking from my own experience as a nervous, high strung person, if I had been in Josee's situation and the timing ended up being exactly the same, I still would have been thrown off. Something happened that wasn't supposed to happen-- plus, there was a period of uncertainty-- and that's enough to freak me out.

Sylvia

TBD
I really don't want to check back thru 663 posts in this thread, but somewhere on this board (either this thread or another one) I think someone said they timed it out once and it worked out timing wise that Josee still ended up on the ice at pretty much the same time she would have if Tonya would have had a normal skate.
@BaileyCatts, using the search function, here is allezfred's post (post #244 in this thread): https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/threads/i-tonya.101808/page-9#post-5162343

ETA:

'I, Tonya’ Wants You To Feel Sorry For Tonya Harding, Columnist [Christine Brennan] Says: http://www.wbur.org/onpoint/2017/12/13/christine-brennan-i-tonya

screech

Both Margot and Allison received SAG nominations for their performances, and there are some people who think the movie should have been nominated for cast.

Based on the Globes and SAG nods, it's safe to say Margot and Allison will be considered for Oscars. Of all shows, the SAG are the best predictors for the Oscars.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Foolhardy Ham Lint

I listened to the NPR radio broadcast this morning. Despite having seen the movie twice, Brennan still complained that Tonya just needed to practice more and show up to Albertville earlier. Same as she said in her Inside Edge book twenty years ago. She's not about to change it now.

http://www.wbur.org/onpoint/2017/12...lks-about-re-examining-the-tonya-harding-saga

At the 1992 US Championships, Tonya was injured in practice, and thanks to a poor pair of performances, almost placed fourth and risked not making the team.

According to Diane Rawlinson, Harding had to stay in Portland because she had three separate test sessions with the USFSA, to see if she was deemed fit enough to go to Albertville.

Last edited:

slicekw

Searching for a great dog park.
I listened to the NPR radio broadcast this morning. Despite having seen the movie twice, Brennan still complained that Tonya just needed to practice more and show up to Albertville earlier. Same as she said in her Inside Edge book twenty years ago. She's not about to change it now.

http://www.wbur.org/onpoint/2017/12...lks-about-re-examining-the-tonya-harding-saga
Well, Brennan is Brennan. I hate that NPR, USAToday and other outlets use her for women's sports. We need a new ice "expert" reporter. le sigh. :drama:

VGThuy

Brennan probably feels the way she does because she’s been researching Tonya and the facts of her career for over twenty years and doesn’t buy the way the movie may have explained her late appearance in Albertville. The USFS is a lot of things but I doubt they would have created a situation where she’d have no other option but to arrive in Albertville two days before the short program.

berthesghost

Based on the Globes and SAG nods, it's safe to say Margot and Allison will be considered for Oscars. Of all shows, the SAG are the best predictors for the Oscars.
just to recap, AJ has been nominated for sags 4 times, winning twice, but has yet to get an Oscar nod. Will this year be the year?

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
Kawahara crafts skating magic for 'I, Tonya'
Choreographer's personal touch adds authentic detail to film

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2017/12/14/263201022

One thing is clear about the highly anticipated movie I, Tonya: Tonya Harding's skating routines have been meticulously recreated. That work began with the film's star, Margot Robbie, learning to skate before production began.

For the movie, Robbie learned five short routines, with the film's director, Craig Gillespie, even shooting the first minute of Harding's 1994 Olympic performance.

"Craig Gillespie used Margot skating a lot," Kawahara said. "For an actress to learn from scratch…she took to it quite naturally. She worked very hard at it and took it very seriously. I really commend her for that."

pixie cut

It seems like it would be easily verified or disproved.

It may be neither totally true nor false. Maybe USFS wanted to do a final test run of TH's programs, but they wanted to do it in Albertville or a nearby training facility. Perhaps someone said, "The week before the ladies short program we will monitor you. If you don't perform to our satisfaction, the alternate will be flown in." Then Tonya said, no, she would only test at her home rink.

As VIETgrlTerifa said, USFS is many things, but that scenario is too far fetched.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

It may be neither totally true nor false. Maybe USFS wanted to do a final test run of TH's programs, but they wanted to do it in Albertville or a nearby training facility. Perhaps someone said, "The week before the ladies short program we will monitor you. If you don't perform to our satisfaction, the alternate will be flown in." Then Tonya said, no, she would only test at her home rink.

As VIETgrlTerifa said, USFS is many things, but that scenario is too far fetched.

To date, the USFSA picks and chooses skaters to represent them at the Olympics, irrespective of where they finish on the national podium. Nothing they allegedly do or don't do would surprise me.

VGThuy

Even stupidly sabotaging their skater and creating a situation to where she had no other choice but to fly out two days before the Ladies SP was about to start? I'm sorry but that seems like a tall tale to me. I know people think the USFS had it out for Tonya and only picked on her in the most extreme ways that they didn't pick on anyone else, but I really think this is hard to believe without verification. Plus, this is the first time any of us heard about it and there was nothing stopping Tonya, Dody, Diane, etc. from saying anything after 1994 went down and we all know Tonya has had ample opportunities to talk about it.

Last edited:

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Even stupidly sabotaging their skater and creating a situation to where she had no other choice but to fly out two days before the Ladies SP was about to start? I'm sorry but that seems like a tall tale to me. I know people think the USFS had it out for Tonya and only picked on in the most extreme ways that they didn't pick on anyone else, but I really think this is hard to believe without verification. Plus, this is the first time any of us heard about it and there was nothing stopping Tonya, Dody, Diane, etc. from saying anything after 1994 went down and we all know Tonya has had ample opportunities to talk about it.

Harding's coach did mention that Harding was detained in Portland so that the USFSA could monitor her. I'll dig up the footage for you if you need it.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

The USFSA could have done what they did in 1994, when they sent Michelle Kwan on stand-by.

Of course, they could have also sent Harding and Lisa Ervin to Albertville, and make them skate off for the berth in France.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information