I, Tonya

bardtoob

My concern is that most viewers don't know enough to realize that the movie has little to do with what actually happened.
Margot Robbie doesn't even understand that.

So you're concerned it will become a legendary story that justifies Tonya despite not being robbed nearly as much as one might think? Makes sense.

peibeck

Simply looking
Even Margot had no clue who Tonya Harding was. Hell the people who wrote the screenplay probably don't even know as much about the event as we all do. And really, unless you were a diehard skating fan, you probably did not follow the story the way we all did.

I agree with so much you said in your long post, but I did want make an observation:

In fairness, Margot Robbie is an Australian actress who was 3 years old at the time of the Lillehammer Olympics. It makes sense to me she may not have known the Tonya Harding saga prior to being offered this script.

Also, the screenwriter (who grew up in Washington state), did know the story and did several extensive interviews with both Harding and Gillooly. Apparently the format of the film is telling the story from both of their points of view.... which varied wildly. (And I would assume the Gillooly angle is not "Tonya is the victim." ) That is how the mockumentary style of the film came to fruition.

From everything I've read about the movie, Tonya is portrayed just as much an anti-hero as victim. But I guess we'll know when we're able to see the film. Perhaps the few who have been able to view it so far can give their opinion?

Last edited:

berthesghost

Tonya in Lillehammer was guilty pleasure tacky tv. Even a sympathetic view has her being used for other people’s gain. One didn’t need to call up Dionne Warwick’s psychic hot line in order to predict that tonya would make a fool of herself in front of the whole world.

shuilee

iTonya got a bunch of Golden Globe nominations.

There's a real possibility this could get Oscar nominations. Wow!! :eek: Is this movie really that good? It's getting so much critical acclaim even though Tonya is such old news.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
^^^^ EXCELLENT!!

Yes, it will get Oscar noms. I say Alison Janney will edge out Laurie Metcalfe (Jackie from Roseanne) for the Supporting Oscar.

Getting attention because of stellar performances, excellent skating sequences and this story is told as a mocumentary from Tonya's book I, Tonya. The whack is not the focus of the movie here. It focuses on early years Tonya, abuse, her relationship with her mother, meeting Jeff and how she developed through the rank of USFSA.

Earlier this year Battle Of The Sexes came out which is even way older news. LOL. Not surprisingly it, too, received noms.

Last edited:

aussieSKATES

Australia's Margot Robbie has scored a Golden Globe Best Actress nomination (comedy or musical) playing Tonya Harding in the motion picture, 'I, Tonya!'

Allison Janney, who plays Harding's notorious mother, Lavona, earned a Supporting Actress nomination.

The film has earned a Best Picture nod (comedy or musical), too.

Seth Meyers will host the 2018 awards ceremony on January, 7.

berthesghost

AJ can hardly play a woman swinging a cat without hitting award nominations, but this peaked my interest just because portrayals of straight up 2d villains usually don't get nomination nods. Dare we assume we may see a more balanced portrayal that assumes Lavona existed for more than just being the source of all of Tonya's faults.

Simone411

To Boldly Explore Figure Skating Around The World
Oh please, at the very least her broken lace and all the :drama: that ensued during her free in Lillehammer was comedy gold! "Don't pool when I'm pooshing" :rofl:
I will never forget that as long as I live. I still watch my VHS tape from time to time. At the very least, Tonya became The Shoelace Queen! I felt sorry for Josee Chouinard because she was forced to skate next which was totally unexpected.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oa6KKL3HGaM

VALuvsMKwan

Codger level achieved
https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opini...-tonya-harding-s-public-redemption-ncna828736[/QUOTE]
Seen on NBC News website today:

Lynn Harris With 'I, Tonya,' is it finally time for Tonya Harding's public redemption?
In the age of 'nasty women,' there should be more sympathy for an abuse survivor who became a champion.

https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opini...-tonya-harding-s-public-redemption-ncna828736

I bloody well wish Lynn Harris had the cheek to ask that of Nancy Kerrigan in person.

screech

AJ can hardly play a woman swinging a cat without hitting award nominations, but this peaked my interest just because portrayals of straight up 2d villains usually don't get nomination nods. Dare we assume we may see a more balanced portrayal that assumes Lavona existed for more than just being the source of all of Tonya's faults.
Despite her many many Emmy nominations, Allison Janney has never received an Oscar nomination, and this is her first ever Golden Globe nomination (for movies OR television).

slicekw

Searching for a great dog park.
So, just to be clear, I, Tonya "opened" this last weekend . . . at four, yes, 4 theaters, the Landmark and Arclight Hollywood in Los Angeles and the Angelika and AMC Loews Lincoln Square in New York City. It made $66,039 per screen, which is not that bad, for a total of $264,155. The budget was $11,000,000.
Awards bait. You have to open before the end of the year on a certain amount of screens.

From everything that I hear, this isn't a "redemption" for Tonya. The only good it will do for her is in the category of "any publicity is good publicity". In fact, she'll do better if she keeps quiet than if she does any interviews about the movie. At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if she got paid to be quiet while the movie's playing for the public.

VGThuy

Yeah. All she has to do is just make appearances, smile, and not do anything controversial and she'll come out looking good.

C

casken

Awards bait. You have to open before the end of the year on a certain amount of screens.

From everything that I hear, this isn't a "redemption" for Tonya. The only good it will do for her is in the category of "any publicity is good publicity". In fact, she'll do better if she keeps quiet than if she does any interviews about the movie. At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if she got paid to be quiet while the movie's playing for the public.
I hope she does keep quiet.
However, I doubt that she will be able to resist, prior to the Olympics.

There are rumors in the reality tv forum parts of the internet that she is, or was, being considered for Celebrity Big Brother which CBS is running in February against the Olympics.

julieann

Any skater on deck knows if they are next to skate they need to be ready in the event the skater gets sick or injured. They are not guaranteed the full program to get ready. Tonya could've had a bad fall on her first jump and had to leave the ice anyway. The fact that she had a bs excuse with her laces is inconsequential. Josee Chouinard should've been ready to go no matter the excuse.

I, Tonya was sort of hokey but the performances were top notch by everyone.

Habs

A bitch from Canada
Any skater on deck knows if they are next to skate they need to be ready in the event the skater gets sick or injured. They are not guaranteed the full program to get ready. Tonya could've had a bad fall on her first jump and had to leave the ice anyway. The fact that she had a bs excuse with her laces is inconsequential. Josee Chouinard should've been ready to go no matter the excuse.

I, Tonya was sort of hokey but the performances were top notch by everyone.

For what it's worth, I don't think Josee herself ever blamed the Tonya situation for her performance in Lillehammer.

Inessence

Tonya's doing press. She's already taped a 20/20 special and has an interview with Portland Monthly coming out.

jenniferlyon

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information