I, Tonya

Yazmeen

All we are saying, is give peace a chance
I think they (Jeff and Tonya) asked Shawn to walk Tonya through the airport after she won Nationals to clear the way so cameras wouldn’t hit her in the head. When asked who he was she said “My Bodyguard” but he was really just doing a favor.

Not even close. Just like in "The Price of Gold," Tonya attempted to claim that she didn't even really know Shawn at all, he was definitely not her bodyguard. But in the Mary Carilo interview, they immediately cut to tape from 1994 where Tonya clearly INTRODUCES Shawn to the press and states that Shawn is her bodyguard. This did not for one minute come off like him just helping out spur of the moment. And why would she even call him a bodyguard if he was just helping her out that one time?

jenniferlyon

Saw Tonya skating - 47 - overweight - still smoking - only skating 3-5 hours a week like a lot of adult skaters - and it is CLEAR she has natural talent for spinning and jumping, as she has 2toe-2toe; 2sal; 2loop and axel. Her edges are there but need work, and if she were to go back to competing (if she could do the adult circuit), she would score very well. But she would need to lose weight and skate with stamina and presentation and find a double axel or one triple to win "Championship Master Jr-Sr Ladies."

I was watching Tonya on the ice at the end of that ABC piece and I was thinking, "Damn, girl! You still got it!" If she can do those doubles with her 47-year-old, had-a-baby-late-in-life body, she is certainly capable of getting some of her triples back if she worked at it. But... She's Tonya Harding. No one is going to let her compete anywhere. No one is going to put her in an ice show.

Inessence

Not even close. Just like in "The Price of Gold," Tonya attempted to claim that she didn't even really know Shawn at all, he was definitely not her bodyguard. But in the Mary Carilo interview, they immediately cut to tape from 1994 where Tonya clearly INTRODUCES Shawn to the press and states that Shawn is her bodyguard. This did not for one minute come off like him just helping out spur of the moment. And why would she even call him a bodyguard if he was just helping her out that one time?

It was simply a short cut answer for the press wondering who the big guy was. “This is my husband’s idiot friend who he asked an unpaid favor from him to keep you leeches from bonking my head with your cameras while I try and walk through the airport with an armload of flowers, candy, and teddy bears.” Would be closer to the truth but an over expounding and unexcessary explanation. He wasn’t really on her payroll for “bodyguard services.”

The Recent NY Times article illustrates this line of thinking best with “I’m Tonya Price” but call me Tonya Harding.

Vagabond

I was watching Tonya on the ice at the end of that ABC piece and I was thinking, "Damn, girl! You still got it!" If she can do those doubles with her 47-year-old, had-a-baby-late-in-life body, she is certainly capable of getting some of her triples back if she worked at it. But... She's Tonya Harding. No one is going to let her compete anywhere. No one is going to put her in an ice show.
I think she is doing it for herself, and perhaps her son. More power to her!

Yazmeen

It was simply a short cut answer for the press wondering who the big guy was. “This is my husband’s idiot friend who he asked an unpaid favor from him to keep you leeches from bonking my head with your cameras while I try and walk through the airport with an armload of flowers, candy, and teddy bears.” Would be closer to the truth but an over expounding and unexcessary explanation. He wasn’t really on her payroll for “bodyguard services.”

The Recent NY Times article illustrates this line of thinking best with “I’m Tonya Price” but call me Tonya Harding.

Fine, whatever you'd like to believe. But interesting how she never came up with the revision that she hardly knew "that idiot" until 2014. I believe she's guilty as hell from the beginning, you don't. Let's just leave it there.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Does anyone know if I, Tonya is going to open even wider than it is now? It's at some theaters around here but not very many and they aren't that convenient. I'm afraid if I wait to see if it opens near me, that it will go away from all of them!

bardtoob

Does anyone know if I, Tonya is going to open even wider than it is now? It's at some theaters around here but not very many and they aren't that convenient. I'm afraid if I wait to see if it opens near me, that it will go away from all of them!

It is now in 517 theaters, but I am guessing they will proceed more cautiously now that the backlash has started.

They are only about $3.5 Million away from breaking even, with the budget being $11 Million.

cmk

It is now in 517 theaters, but I am guessing they will proceed more cautiously now that the backlash has started.

They are only about $3.5 Million away from breaking even, with the budget being $11 Million.
I am hoping it comes closer than Columbus and Cleveland for me. I do have a very undependable offbrand firestick (sometimes it works and can pick up eurosport and cbc live but other times it doesn't want to work at all) but I really want to see this in the theatre. I am buying the dvd when it comes out. I did get to see a browns game on the stick that was blacked out on regular tv so I am glad it worked then- even though they lost in ot.

Is the $3.5 million away only domestic revenue or does it include foreign as well? There will also be a revenue stream when it goes to dvd as well.

meggonzo

Banned Member

She's supposed to be skating on the Today show on January 19. :shuffle:

Yazmeen

She's supposed to be skating on the Today show on January 19. :shuffle:

Presumably she has sent TODAY her list of demands for a sunshine and lollipops interview and no mention of "you know what..."

I have no issue with her making money off the movie, its her story. And I plan to see it. But the attempts to make her now into a sympathetic victim and a star again after her continuous lies and revisions of what happened in 1994 are just plain distatasteful.

berthesghost

She's Tonya Harding. No one is going to let her compete anywhere. No one is going to put her in an ice show.
well the usfs is bringing nats back to Detroit for the 25th anniversary, so maybe she and Nancy have been asked to skate an exhibition :lol:

This whole thing reminds me of that scene in “feud” where Crawford is made to toss rubber axes out into the audience at screenings of “straight jacket”

dawnie

The one thing that surprised me about the ABC special was that Tonya and Dody reconnected. Dody said Tonya comes to her rink 3 times a week and that they are working on choreography for a program to keep her in-shape and busy. I assumed that bridge was burned a long time ago but I guess the only 2 people Tonya truly hates are Jeff and her mother.

Parsley Sage

I am hoping it comes closer than Columbus and Cleveland for me. I do have a very undependable offbrand firestick (sometimes it works and can pick up eurosport and cbc live but other times it doesn't want to work at all) but I really want to see this in the theatre. I am buying the dvd when it comes out. I did get to see a browns game on the stick that was blacked out on regular tv so I am glad it worked then- even though they lost in ot.

Is the $3.5 million away only domestic revenue or does it include foreign as well? There will also be a revenue stream when it goes to dvd as well.

It's estimated to have made $10 million domestically (US & Can) as of Jan 14th. Other than Iceland, the move doesn't seem to be playing outside of the US and Canada

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=main&id=itonya.htm

smurfy

I finally saw the movie 'I, Tonya' and with a buddy that does not follow skating.
I love movies, and with all real life stories - I try very hard to see the movie as a piece of art and hardwork, and try very hard to block out my bias, and know factually that movies like this change things and are not accurate.
It is a very good movie, acting was awesome, well paced and entertaining. My buddy was feeling sorry for Tonya, to me it was oh another 4 years and here we go again.
I also am thinking and reading this post and remembering everything from back then.

One thing on the abuse by her mother and Jeff - did anyone like one of her coaches or someone else ever say anything to back Tonya up or not?

berthesghost

One thing on the abuse by her mother and Jeff - did anyone like one of her coaches or someone else ever say anything to back Tonya up or not?
the only “official” third party report I know of is the woman who did the documentary who saw Lavana hitting Tonya with the hairbrush. She says Dianne convinced her not to report the incident. Otherwise it seems just to be an open secret.

The way the movie portrayed the abuse was another thing that bugged me about it. I’ve never seen a comedy about domestic violence before so I’m out of my comfort zone, but I’m not sure why that in and of itself isn’t considered offensive and instead everyone is like “oh give them all Oscars! That comedy about about the lasting effects of abuse was hysterical!”

Inessence

The one thing that surprised me about the ABC special was that Tonya and Dody reconnected. Dody said Tonya comes to her rink 3 times a week and that they are working on choreography for a program to keep her in-shape and busy. I assumed that bridge was burned a long time ago but I guess the only 2 people Tonya truly hates are Jeff and her mother.

Dody was working with Tonya in the late 90s as well. I’m not sure where Diane stands these days.

bardtoob

I, Tonya is expected to hit $10 Million today, which is fast approaching the break even point.

screech

Looks like it's being released in many countries in the upcoming months:

Hong Kong 18 January 2018
Croatia 18 January 2018
Greece 25 January 2018
Estonia 26 January 2018
Lithuania 26 January 2018
Taiwan 26 January 2018
Denmark 1 February 2018
Hungary 1 February 2018
Russia 1 February 2018
Singapore 1 February 2018
Norway 2 February 2018
Thailand 8 February 2018
Mexico 9 February 2018
Argentina 15 February 2018
Brazil 15 February 2018
Czech Republic 15 February 2018
Belgium 21 February 2018
France 21 February 2018
Netherlands 22 February 2018
Portugal 22 February 2018
Spain 23 February 2018
UK 23 February 2018
Ireland 23 February 2018
Germany 1 March 2018
Finland 9 March 2018
Australia 15 March 2018
Sweden 16 March 2018

bardtoob

I saw it last night. Posted about it in the movies thread in OTBT. The audience seemed to love the crude language and violence. Typical Hollywood.

Oh, I was talking about the ABC Interview.

I will probably go see the movie now that it is released at a theater within walking distance of my office.

pixie cut

I, Tonya is expected to hit $10 Million today, which is fast approaching the break even point.

The general thought is that a movie has to make approximately three times the production budget to break event. I believe the production budget for I, Tonya was $11 million. So making $11 million isn't breaking even. It needs to make around $30 million to truly break even/make money. The production budget is one thing, but there is also the marketing budget and other expenses.

bardtoob

The general thought is that a movie has to make approximately three times the production budget to break event. I believe the production budget for I, Tonya was $11 million. So making $11 million isn't breaking even. It needs to make around $30 million to truly break even/make money. The production budget is one thing, but there is also the marketing budget and other expenses.

Thank you :D I am definitely no expert on the entertainment business!

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information