I, Tonya

NAOTMAA

And the really tragic comedy of all this continues to be Tonya being her own worst enemy. Hollywood hands you this golden ticket in the form of a pro-you bio pic and then a major network gives you a two hour special giving you a chance to rehabilitate your public image, so hey, why not use this opportunity to criticize a victim :lol:

Hollywood used her and she's either too naive or not bright enough to realize it. They knew exactly what she would do with the spotlight on her and now their all sniggering behind her back as she once again publicly falls flat on her face for the millionth time while they rake in the dough and accolades. They may invite her to award shows, premieres and parties but its more like a circus freak show side act rather then as an honored guest. She's so far down the rabbit hole of her own narcissism that she lets it happen.

And to top it all off the craziest thing is the film was pro-Tonya but it also competed at the golden globes and other places as a COMEDY. That surely tells everybody something

tylersf

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
Maybe she could get an agent who represents "bad boys" and "bad girls". If I were her, I'd launch a line of trailer park clothing, hair products and make up.
I'd also develop a lifestyle brand catering to the "blue collar/trailer park" afficionados.
Heck, she might be able to have a show called "Trailer Gal" on TNN.
And the really tragic comedy of all this continues to be Tonya being her own worst enemy. Hollywood hands you this golden ticket in the form of a pro-you bio pic and then a major network gives you a two hour special giving you a chance to rehabilitate your public image, so hey, why not use this opportunity to criticize a victim :lol:

Yazmeen

All we are saying, is give peace a chance
I don't disagree with that for sure. But 23 years tho.

Maybe if she hadn't lied her ass off for 23 years. But now 23 years of "nope, no, never ever knew anything before the attack" suddenly turns into her "knowing and overhearing something" weeks before it occurred.

What honestlhy amazes me is that she could have been flat out clueless enough to make that statement NOW. She had yet another hand reaching out, a door open, portraying her as an equally important victim people should feel sympathy for. She's on almost a goodwill tour with major celebrities supporting her, and she says this NOW. Today's headlines were predominately either "Tonya admits she knew about the attack before it happened" or "Tonya fired by her agent for wanting reporters stopped or fined if they asked her about the past."

No matter who reaches out, she can't let go of the bitterness and anger and even her penchant for snarking at Nancy and calling her a whiner. Even a movie cannot possibly reach the dramatic lows that Tonya achieves all her own and the fact that she cannot ever get out of her own way to possibly find some light in this whole sad story.

BaileyCatts

I have just one question for you Tonya, using your own words ...... "Take a lie detector .... beyoth!"

Your own words, "because I will!". Well, lets see you take one and answer any and all questions ... beyoth! Why did Amy not jump on this, as a reporter, and say "hey great! let's go take one!". However, the only problem with this is that Tonya so deeply believes her own lies she would probably pass it.

And I will give a million damn dollars (well, pretend dollars :p) to anyone who can find that clip where Tonya says "this is Shawn, my bodyguard". Because I swear I remember seeing that! I believe she was coming back from Nationals, she had on a black top and black jacket, Shawn is behind her in the beige trench coat, they are surrounded by reporters, she's carrying a teddy bear and flowers (I think) and I swear I remember her saying "this is Shawn, my bodyguard". I can't have made that all up in my mind .... I know I saw this! Why did they not confront her on this and play that tape? Really why did Amy not confront her on anything really? I wish that Ann Schatz would have done the interview. Amy just threw softballs.

VGThuy

Amy had to throw softballs throughout because otherwise Tonya would have reverted back into defense, I'm not saying a thing mode. She made Tonya feel comfortable, safe, and at ease...and that's how she made Tonya slip up a little and say she knew something was going on before the attack. Amy let that go a bit, but she did get THE scoop.

LarrySK8

I also remember her saying that to a reporter - that Shawn was her bodyguard - and have seen that video many times, BaileyCatts.

And I will give a million damn dollars (well, pretend dollars :p) to anyone who can find that clip where Tonya says "this is Shawn, my bodyguard". Because I swear I remember seeing that! I believe she was coming back from Nationals, she had on a black top and black jacket, Shawn is behind her in the beige trench coat, they are surrounded by reporters, she's carrying a teddy bear and flowers (I think) and I swear I remember her saying "this is Shawn, my bodyguard".

my little pony

polishing Madison Hubbell's OGM
I
And I will give a million damn dollars (well, pretend dollars :p) to anyone who can find that clip where Tonya says "this is Shawn, my bodyguard". Because I swear I remember seeing that! I believe she was coming back from Nationals, she had on a black top and black jacket, Shawn is behind her in the beige trench coat, they are surrounded by reporters, she's carrying a teddy bear and flowers (I think) and I swear I remember her saying "this is Shawn, my bodyguard". I can't have made that all up in my mind .... I know I saw this! Why did they not confront her on this and play that tape? Really why did Amy not confront her on anything really? I wish that Ann Schatz would have done the interview. Amy just threw softballs.

i know exactly the clip you are talking about. one of the past shows about her put it right after a clip of her saying he wasnt her bodyguard.

Inessence

I think they (Jeff and Tonya) asked Shawn to walk Tonya through the airport after she won Nationals to clear the way so cameras wouldn’t hit her in the head. When asked who he was she said “My Bodyguard” but he was really just doing a favor.

cmk

I want a list of who would play those guys!
Amber Glenn could be the skate double for I, Nicole. The one girl from the Nanny (Fran Drescher version) looked just like her but I am blanking on her name. Her sister was the original adult Victoria on Y &R and is now on B & B.

I, Debi - might be a little harder to cast. Debi is also too old to be the skate double, but might be able to act. Can we give credit to Tonya for finding ways to make money that don't involve setting up a go fund me account like Debi did. I know there are legit uses for it (funeral expenses, unexpected medical bills,etc), but to use it just because you don't feel like being a doctor anymore isn't right. She also has an engineering degree. Debi could probably coach figure skating if she wanted to- who wouldn't want an Olympic bronze medalist as their coach but she would have to resolve her current mental issues ( a lot of them related to a less than desirable boyfriend). Starr Andrews could be the skate double for Young Debi. Adult doubles- Surya Bonaly and Rory Flack. Surya for the jumps, Rory for the footwork ( I know they don't look alike but cgi can fix everything :)

cmk

We might as well do a Christopher Bowman (the showman) movie as well. I think Zac Efron (sp) could pull it off. Ryan Bradley could be the skate double. You also need an grumpy old man to play Frank Carroll.

Moto Guzzi

And I will give a million damn dollars (well, pretend dollars :p) to anyone who can find that clip where Tonya says "this is Shawn, my bodyguard". Because I swear I remember seeing that! I believe she was coming back from Nationals, she had on a black top and black jacket, Shawn is behind her in the beige trench coat, they are surrounded by reporters, she's carrying a teddy bear and flowers (I think) and I swear I remember her saying "this is Shawn, my bodyguard". I can't have made that all up in my mind .... I know I saw this!
I watched this a few nights ago. It was a 2014 special called 'Nancy & Tonya' filmed 20 years after the attack. Mary Carillo interviewed a number of people, including Nancy and Tonya. A news clip was shown of Tonya wearing a black turtleneck and black jacket and she referred to Shawn as her bodyguard.

berthesghost

LaVona Golden and Tonya Harding are more like each than either of them would ever want to admit. :shuffle:
i did :lol: at Dodi describing the new kinder softer Tonya, as they cut back to more "forgive? Hell no!" and "Beyotch" (neckroll) responses from Tonya. Softer kinder indeed

Janiney would do this great thing in the movie whenever Lavona was confronted by someone, she'd purse her lips, push her head back and stiffen her body and just steel her self against "attack". It's exactly this "they're all against me" view of the world that ruined tonya's relationship with the skating world and the "never apologize for anything" resolve is exactly why she can never move on from the scandal.

But what I never get about the black and white thinking of most people is why Tonya living in the cycle of abuse is not her fault but Lavona living in the cycle of abuse makes her a monster undeserving of sympathy or forgiveness. Why does it not explain but not excuse dehaviors for both of them?

One of the reasons why I call the movie well acted but poorly written is because I think Janiney transmitted an underlying sympathy or hurt behind the character's actions while the script was just one sided "bad woman does bad things for two hours".

any of the legal beagles here care to comment on what Nancy's options would have been with concern to a civil case?

Karina1974

I watched this a few nights ago. It was a 2014 special called 'Nancy & Tonya' filmed 20 years after the attack. Mary Carillo interviewed a number of people, including Nancy and Tonya. A news clip was shown of Tonya wearing a black turtleneck and black jacket and she referred to Shawn as her bodyguard.

Right, I forgot about that one. That aired before the Sochi Closing Ceremonies.

LarrySK8

Saw Tonya skating - 47 - overweight - still smoking - only skating 3-5 hours a week like a lot of adult skaters - and it is CLEAR she has natural talent for spinning and jumping, as she has 2toe-2toe; 2sal; 2loop and axel. Her edges are there but need work, and if she were to go back to competing (if she could do the adult circuit), she would score very well. But she would need to lose weight and skate with stamina and presentation and find a double axel or one triple to win "Championship Master Jr-Sr Ladies."

screech

We might as well do a Christopher Bowman (the showman) movie as well. I think Zac Efron (sp) could pull it off. Ryan Bradley could be the skate double. You also need an grumpy old man to play Frank Carroll.
Though they look nothing alike, I could see Tom Hanks n this kind of role (I'm picturing him as Jimmy in A League of Their Own, and a little bit as Mr. White in That Thing You Do).

Sasha is DIVINE

Watching Tonya skate, I was curious--are there any women around her age now or previously who are/were known to still have their triples? Kristi? Denise?

screech

Watching Tonya skate, I was curious--are there any women around her age now or previously who are/were known to still have their triples? Kristi? Denise?
I'm sure there are some still with their triples, but I know for sure that at least recently, Midori Ito, Katia Gordeeva, and others are still doing double axels.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information