I, Tonya

MacMadame

Doing all the things
U.S. Figure Skating, the ISI, and PSA have a reciprocal agreement that any member banned from one organization is banned from the others, so no, Harding couldn't coach ISI.
I knew PSA & USFS did but not ISI.

Harding was coaching though. So it was (and is) possible. It's just that it would be hard if she wanted to do more than work with young kids until they got serious and wanted to compete. And, she managed to ruin that anyway.

attyfan

It saved them the expense of a trial too. It also probably got her to spill the beans on the rest of the gang so they could nail down their prosecutions. Trials are risky especially jury trials. It's often much better to get the defendant to plea out to a lesser charge.

This is especially true where, as here, witnesses against Tonya would include others involved in the same crime. Juries don't always believe such people.

Inessence

I knew PSA & USFS did but not ISI.

Harding was coaching though. So it was (and is) possible. It's just that it would be hard if she wanted to do more than work with young kids until they got serious and wanted to compete. And, she managed to ruin that anyway.

IIRC, in her book, Tonya said she only lost one student to the "Hubcap Incident" and quit coaching due to various injuries to her foot from her dog and a car accident. I also think she didn't like the commute to the rink from the boondocks where she lived. She also spoke of the necessity of turning over her students to a proxy coach if they ever wanted to compete.

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
Not sure if someone has posted this amongst the length of this thread. Here is the whole ABC interview. It is in 10 parts.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/tonya-harding-continued-love-figure-skating-life-today/story?id=52260238

I found it interesting but I skipped through the whole knee thing because it has been done to death. It does have excerpts of a documentary from her teen years which is very interesting. What is good is you do get to see her skate at the end which is nice to see.

Also at one point they interview Nancy and she is kind of like "it happened so long ago now and let's just move on". Same as Tonya. I think that is the reaction of anyone who is in their 40s who has learnt that you just need to live in the present and look to the future.

LarrySK8

Wow - lots to digest. I saw the film. My impression of it is that it is a movie only based on "The Tonya Tapes," which was a poorly written book. It is a far better movie than the book. I found giving LaVonna Golden an oxygen tube interesting and very amusing. I found the scenes of violence made me jump and cringe. I truly feel that, "it is only a movie."

In regard to Harding herself, I find it impossible to believe anything she says because since 1994, she has never had any consistency to her stories. I do believe the eyewitness accounts of child hitting, etc, but I can't believe her when she says she knew, "nothing," about the attack because she never has the same story. AND she NEVER apologized. AND she tries to make $$$$ whenever she can, however she can off of it. AND she keeps implying that Kerrigan is a BITCH. She also appears to LOVE being a tabloid celebrity.

On screen, she is as PHONY as a 3$ bill. I liked her when she skated - but that person is long changed to a bitter, cynical, phony, washed up person who essentially will sell her story and herself to make a dollar. Like her sister (according to Tonya).

jenniferlyon

No, the people banned prior to, um, 2009? are not permitted to be present at events hosted by U.S. Figure Skating. The relevant language was deleted when the Grievance Committee rules were changed, but it should still apply since it was in place when they were banned. This became relevant when Bob Young purchased a ticket to 2003 Nationals, following his permanent ban, and attempted to coach from the stands. I don't know why the language was deleted, if it was an oversight or if the lawyers made U.S. Figure Skating remove it. Regardless, rinks are (generally) privately owned facilities that have wide latitude to deny entry/remove individuals. If any of the coaches banned for sexual abuse appeared at a competition, the police would be called immediately. (The people banned for embezzling from their club and other such violations - they're not as well-known and might be able to get away with being present at a competition simply because no one knows what they look like.)

Bob Young, of course, has moved on to his second career: photographing aspiring young models.

(Why is there no "vomit" emoji on FSU?)

Bob Young... There's a name I haven't heard in years. I always thought there was a lot more going on with him than what was made public. And yes, we do need a vomit emoji.

jenniferlyon

One more factor that points to Tonya's direct involvement is the fact that the attack on Nancy was the ONLY one of Shawn Eckardt's grandiose schemes that actually came to pass. He was all talk and no action, except for this ONE time. This ONE time, he was able to make something happen. Uh-huh. While the movie makes him out to be the driving force behind the attack, it's pretty convenient for both Tonya and Jeff to pin everything on the dead, fat guy who lived in his mother's basement.

Inessence

One more factor that points to Tonya's direct involvement is the fact that the attack on Nancy was the ONLY one of Shawn Eckardt's grandiose schemes that actually came to pass. He was all talk and no action, except for this ONE time. This ONE time, he was able to make something happen. Uh-huh. While the movie makes him out to be the driving force behind the attack, it's pretty convenient for both Tonya and Jeff to pin everything on the dead, fat guy who lived in his mother's basement.

Well, before "The Incident" I had never heard anything about Harding attempting to cheat or curry the odds in her favor either.

D

Deleted member 53443

The more venom posts I read here on Tonya Harding, the more I sympathize with her. A woman, whatever character she has, is getting so much hate for a thing a man did 23 years ago (whether she knew or not we.do.not.know). She is a representative of the women living in trailers that the metoo movement has not included enough.

Inessence

^ Is is the type of revisionist interpretation and need to make Tonya into a feminist hero I was talking about like 20-30 pages ago.

I'm currently reading the NYT Picks "comments" section of the NYT "Tonya Harding Would Like Your Apology" article. The opinions basically vary back and fourth between your and Per's. Hence why this subject will likely be debated until the end.

D

Deleted member 53443

^ Is is the type of revisionist interpretation and need to make Tonya into a feminist hero I was talking about like 20-30 pages ago.

Are you saying I am making her a feminist hero? I didn't. And please tell me what is factually incorrect in my post. How many Hollywood stars have been able to use metoo (not saying that is a bad thing per se!)? And how many poor women living in trailers being abused day in and day out have benefitted?

Hate her all you want that's fine, but if someone else with a free will choose to see this in another way, why does it bother you?

VGThuy

Same reason why my post bothered you. I'm not interested in partaking into a discussion about #metoo and intersection of class and race at the moment as I am usually skeptical about the person making a criticism, especially the timing of that criticism or how it's interjected in a non-sequitur fashion. Maybe later.

D

Deleted member 53443

Same reason why my post bothered you. I'm not interested in partaking into a discussion about #metoo and intersection of class and race at the moment as I am usually skeptical about the person making a criticism, especially the timing of that criticism or how it's interjected in a non-sequitur fashion. Maybe later.

First of all, race? Where is even race mentioned anywhere in my posts?

You responded to my post, basically putting words in my mouth. That bothered me, not your hate for Tonya Harding. You're free to hate her all you want.

There is a difference between believing that social status was, and is, working to Tonya's disadvantage and making her a "feminist hero".

D

Deleted member 53443

I should add that I do respect that someone is suspicious of including metoo in this story. I would kind of agree actually.

ks777

The more venom posts I read here on Tonya Harding, the more I sympathize with her. A woman, whatever character she has, is getting so much hate for a thing a man did 23 years ago (whether she knew or not we.do.not.know). She is a representative of the women living in trailers that the metoo movement has not included enough.
I am pretty sure people would be more forgiving if Tonya has shown some remorse.

VGThuy

I don't disagree with that for sure. But 23 years tho.

I think every time she goes on TV and shares her side of the story in that old Tonya way, it sort of refreshes the incident for people as if it just happened again. I also wonder if other people are hearing it for the first time, or the first time in a very long time.

D

Deleted member 53443

I think every time she goes on TV and shares her side of the story in that old Tonya way, it sort of refreshes the incident for people as if it just happened again. I also wonder if other people are hearing it for the first time, or the first time in a very long time.

Yeah that's true. But, she seems to me to be someone with incredible potential who turned out to get a really crappy, shitty life. There are so many villains who never gets punished by life. I don't see her in that category.

D

Deleted member 53443

Someone could do a whole series on frustrated American skaters:
I, Linda
I, Debi
I, Mark
I, Nicole
I, Michelle
I, Sasha
I, Mirai
I, Ross
I, Jason
I, tylersf, the worst student coached by a OGM winning coach

I want a list of who would play those guys!

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information