Hold on to your fascinators, it could be a snarky ride! It's Royal Wedding Day! Wheeee!

IceAlisa

discriminating and persnickety ballet aficionado
ROFL. I have been known to invite people to dinner at “Jewish 6:30” which is 7.

My daughter’s wedding started 15 minutes past announced time, meaning the WASPs were impatient and the Jews were still in the ladies’ room.
What can I say. I was 10 minutes late to my own. Not that anyone noticed, at least not the Jewish guests

Katha

I thought it was a beautiful wedding and an engaging ceremony. Bishop Curry apparently was recommended to the RF by the Archbishop of Canterbury, so the royals themselves and the Anglican church decided to invite him to speak at the wedding and it's not like he was somehow "forced" on them or something. He did well, I thought. And his sermon wasn't even 15 minutes, that's really not that long.

I thought Meghan's evening dress was better than the wedding dress, though I get what she was going for with it. The evening gown looked like something she'd actually wear as a bride, you know, if the event wasn't watched by a billion people...

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
There’s a photo somewhere of Meghan at a charity event last year wearing a very simple, structured white dress. She knows her style and sticks to it.

I liked the dress but admit I was a little disappointed it wasn’t flashier.

Skittl1321

Having read through this thread, I must say that I am astonished how many posters have apparently never been to a church wedding. You folks need to diversify your social circles.

Snap! :respec::notworthy:

That's why you ask instead of assume. Without asking I wouldn't have known the background that aftershocks had for the claims posted. I still disagree though.

Catherine M

Somewhere along the way Meghan said her favorite bride look ever was Carolyn Bissett Kennedy so if that is indeed true, I can see why she picked the dress she did.

barbk

I read her mom is an only child, and her grandmother, who she was close with, is deceased.

When I married -- and I was younger than Meghan by a few years -- my invalid-grandmother and my mother were my only two living relatives from mom's side of the family unless you went to a couple of great aunts who were also quite elderly and living in Canada and second and third cousins I'd either never met or met when I was younger than seven. It happens.

quartz

scratching at the light
Official wedding photo with family, bridesmaids, and page boys

Wow. I will admit that it’s a startling look that Meghan literally had only one family member here.

Also, Camilla’s hat looks even more ridiculous.
Beautiful photo. I love that Meghan’s mom’s outfit is a paler shade of the Queen’s. I don't think I’d recognize Camilla unless she was wearing a huge hat - which I kind of like because she owns it. The children are adorable.

MamaS

I love how the Queen, Doria and Kate all have dresses that blend so well with the flowers. The soft greens and yellows look so lovely. Camilla is the only one who doesn’t tie into the colour scheme but at least her pink is very pale. Beautiful photos and so happy to see George finally smiling too!

quartz

scratching at the light
Oh, and I love the way they have the veil draped in front of the dress in the photo - completely changes the look of the dress.

ETA....just had a closer look at the bouquet, and so happy to see it has my absolute favorite flowers - lily of the valley. I had them in my bouquet too, along with ferns and peacock feaathers.

Last edited:

Vagabond

The following news report may not be wholly true (for starters, IINM, he's a half-nephew, not a cousin), but who cares?

Meghan Markle’s cousin Tyler Dooley had an eventful weekend, which culminated with reports that he was barred from entering a club in London for carrying a knife.

He reportedly told a bystander it was for protection: “I just brought it because Donald Trump said London was like a war zone.”
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...serena-williams-names-bad-breath-meghan-harry

:giggle:

Last edited:

screech

Meghan's dress looks stunning in the photos - I think I have come around to loving it now. I think we tend to expect lace on royal dresses, because that's what we've seen the last few years, but I do really love the simplicity.

I also love George's cheeky grins (that kid looks like a troublemaker, and I love it!)

In every picture, I can't get over how absolutely glowing Harry looks. He seems so thrilled, and the lip readers who saw him say "I'm so lucky" when they were at the alter, definitely seem to be right.

Also, another dress from the evening reception. Jessica Mulroney looks stunning! (And Ben kind of resembles Dermot Mulroney - no relation - in that photo IMO)

ETA: In the link posted by @Vagabond it says
It is rumoured that the Frogmore House party featured a James Corden-compered dance-off between princes Harry, William and their father.
I would have LOVED to see that! I bet Charles has some good moves.

Last edited:

MsZem

I see the sea
Meghan's dress looks stunning in the photos - I think I have come around to loving it now. I think we tend to expect lace on royal dresses, because that's what we've seen the last few years, but I do really love the simplicity.
Kate wore a lot of lace, but if you look at other royal weddings - not necessarily. My favorite is Crown Princess Victoria's wedding dress, but Queen Maxima, Crown Princess Mette-Marit, and Crown Princess Mary also saved the lace for their veils. Princess Charlene's wedding dress had embroidery, but I don't think there was any lace. Although it's true that it's been a while since those royal weddings (Charlene's was the most recent, and that was almost seven years ago).

MsZem

I see the sea
I think the most beautiful royal wedding dress of the last while is the reception dress of Beatrice Borrmeo wore to the reception at her wedding to Pierre Casiraghi (son of Princess Caroline of Monaco and Hanover) in 2015.
Beatrice Borromeo is one of the best-dressed people on the planet. Of course she has a slightly bigger wardrobe budget than most ;)

KCC

I'm kind of surprised that Meghan's bridal bouquet was so small, but I guess that is what most brides opt for these days - it does look very nice & understated, just not necessarily "royal". Another thing that stands out for me is that the whole bridal party is in black & white. Personally, I prefer some color to the attendants' outfits, especially since they were all very young, but I guess it is more timeless in b&w. That said, their joy is overflowing and contagious -I still smile looking at their photos.

skatingfan5

Past Prancer's Corridor
I'm kind of surprised that Meghan's bridal bouquet was so small, but I guess that is what most brides opt for these days - it does look very nice & understated, just not necessarily "royal".
Kate Middleton had a rather smallish bridal bouquet, though not as small as Meghan's. I think both suited each of their different styles; thank goodness they didn't carry something like the enormous arrangement that Diana had back in 1981. Styles change, sometimes for the better.

ballettmaus

I wouldn't read much into the use of the word "exotic". It's probably more ignorance than racism. From conversations I've had with a friend about her friend who is also black, it seems that to some (well, quite a lot it seems) Germans anyone who has a darker skin tone is still exotic.
German commentators also seem to generally be awkward and often make comments without thinking about them because they don't seem to know what to say. They make me roll my eyes or cringe way too often!

BUT putting commentators like that in charge of the wedding (and hiring them in the first place) is a huge failure on part of the ZDF. In our day and age they should not hire anyone who acts as if they've never seen a black person in their life let alone allow them to comment on the wedding.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Last edited:

skatingfan5

Past Prancer's Corridor
I have continued to enjoy reading the BBC online coverage of Saturday's royal wedding, especially all the photos, including one of an 89 year old hospice recipient of a bouquet fashioned from the flowers that decorated the chapel. She had worked for Hartnell and was one of the embroiderers who worked on the Queen's wedding gown!

I also came across pictures of the most inappropriately dressed guest: Chloe Madeley, fiancée of a rugby player friend of Harry's. I suppose her attire MIGHT be passable (barely) for a California beach wedding, but for a church wedding of the royal family?!? :eek: She definitely let it all hang out. :lol:

aftershocks

Banned Member
I read her mom is an only child, and her grandmother, who she was close with, is deceased.

Meghan's mother Doria (similar to Meghan) has an older half brother and sister. Doria's mother Jeanette Johnson Ragland was born in Cleveland, Ohio (Jeanette's mother Netty Arnold worked as a maid at the former St. Regis Hotel on Euclid Avenue). Netty had married a bell hop whom she met on the job. He later left her after she gave birth to Jeanette. Similarly, Jeanette married a professional roller skater named Joseph Johnson, who ended up leaving her after she gave birth to two children, Joseph Jr., and Saundra. Jeanette later met and married Alvin Ragland a Baptist minister and an antiques dealer whose family hailed from Missouri. Jeanette gave birth to Doria Ragland in Cleveland, Ohio. While Doria was still a baby, the family decided to move to southern California. Joseph, Jr was 8-years-old at the time. He has recounted to the Daily Mail the prejudice his family encountered in a small Texas town, during their travel across the country.

Meghan has also written and spoken about her family's migration from Cleveland and the prejudice they faced (as told to her by her grandfather Alvin Ragland, who is deceased). Meghan's maternal grandmother, Jeanette, is also deceased, as is her paternal grandmother (with whom she was also close). Meghan has written beautifully about being nurtured by her mother Doria, and her grandmother Jeanette. Meghan's uncle, Joseph Jr, is apparently estranged from Doria, or else they drifted apart somehow. After Meghan's engagement to Prince Harry, Joseph Jr chose that moment to finally give in to the badgering by the Daily Mail for information and pictures (six figures has been bandied about as the pay-off).

Here's a video that's been around for awhile (taken from the DM article) showing some of the family photos sold by Meghan's Uncle Joseph: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6Wrgig521Y note the family photo at 0:44 showing 4-yr-old Meghan being held by her grandfather Alvin Ragland, while Tom Markle Jr for some mischievous reason is holding up Meghan's ponytail. Clearly, Meghan grew up surrounded by her aunt, uncle, grandmother and cousins on her mother's side. And there are also plenty of pictures available on the Internet of Meghan with her Dad and her Dad's side of the family. But apparently there were family tensions on both sides, and family members drifted apart or became estranged. We've never heard anything from Doria's half-sister Saundra, aside from Saundra's reported confirmation that she was not invited to the royal wedding, and that she declines to comment further.

IceAlisa

discriminating and persnickety ballet aficionado
I'm kind of surprised that Meghan's bridal bouquet was so small, but I guess that is what most brides opt for these days - it does look very nice & understated, just not necessarily "royal".
That was one of the things I really liked. No need to carry a tree like Princess Diana did.

I think the most beautiful royal wedding dress of the last while is the reception dress of Beatrice Borrmeo wore to the reception at her wedding to Pierre Casiraghi (son of Princess Caroline of Monaco and Hanover) in 2015.

Front
Back
Side
This is stunning

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information