Hold on to your fascinators, it could be a snarky ride! It's Royal Wedding Day! Wheeee!

Skittl1321

Like I said above, this was just one example of rules for the royals.
The further they get from the throne, the less it matters. Obviously Meghan's life will be different with Harry than with some random guy from California, but it really is unlikely to be nearly as much scrutiny as Catherine for instance. Harry is 6th in line to the throne. There is obviously press interest in him, but how restricted is Zara's husband, for instance. She'll get to have a public life of charity work, but it's not like she has to deal with a eighteenth century court structure

IceAlisa

discriminating and persnickety ballet aficionado
The further they get from the throne, the less it matters. Obviously Meghan's life will be different with Harry than with some random guy from California, but it really is unlikely to be nearly as much scrutiny as Catherine for instance. Harry is 6th in line to the throne. There is obviously press interest in him, but how restricted is Zara's husband, for instance. She'll get to have a public life of charity work, but it's not like she has to deal with a eighteenth century court structure
But she is still expected to dress, walk, sit, hold her chin a certain way, etc. I also said up thread that she will not have as much pressure as Kate. I really wish people read the thread before lecturing

snoopy

Yeah they were saying that Meghan would have to defer to Kate in their joint foundation work because kate was future queen. I guess it’s not different than having a boss but the reason for subordination is odd.

Skittl1321

But she is still expected to dress, walk, sit, hold her chin a certain way, etc. I also said up thread that she will not have as much pressure as Kate. I really wish people read the thread before lecturing
I read the thread. I just don't think it's that big of a deal. She'd have to out up with a lot of this BS if she were a military wife too. The politics on some bases is unbelievable. Just there is no press covering it so no one outside cares. It's not a secret there is a hierarchy among the royals with rules. She also knows what she's getting into and clearly it's worth it for her. But that doesnt mean her hair has to always be perfectly in place, which is partly what started this conversation. She will probably have to wear a hat more though.

IceAlisa

I finally got a good look at Meghan’s evening dress in a video—I like it a lot. I wish we could see more of the shoes.

once_upon

Better off than 2020
But they so rarely eat with the Queen it's not like it is a huge restriction on one's life.

Right. And many of those rules the royals live by are the Queen's Rules. In case anyone missed it, the new Royals will outlive the Queen and can make up their own rules/traditions.

Megan's hair is pretty and if it is a bit messy at times, it adds to her charm. I think it is a testament to the love that the Queen has for Harry and one assumes for Meghan that she "allowed" the wedding to break from tradition.

BaileyCatts

.....Can anyone explain why Meghan's Mom was in the second, not first row? I assume it was an honor to be in the Queen's position on the other side, but 2nd row seems weird.

I'm bumping up your question cause I wanna know too. :D Does anyone know why Meghan's mom was in the second row, not the first row? It looked like there was a pillar in her view the whole time, unless it was just the camera angle.

quartz

scratching at the light
I think I’ve caught up with most of this lovely occassion.
This was the first time I have seen pics of Meghan’s mom, and my goodness do they ever look alike! Her outfit was just right.
The children were all perfectly adorable, and Charlotte is definitely a little star.
Love seeing all the amazing outfits. Can someone tell me who was the dark haired beauty, I think maybe a Spencer, in the purple outfit that had like a little cape? That was my favorite outfit, although I didn't see a head to toe view of it. Runner up was Serena Williams.
And the cellist! :inavoid:

ETA....so, what was with 2 of Harry’s exgirlfriends being invited?? :huh:

Last edited:

Cachoo

Finally catching up: Amal and Lady Kitty wowed me in their day looks and Priyanka wowed me with her evening gown.
The children were adorable: I especially loved the toothless Mulroney and of course Char!otte.
I liked the sermon.
Meghan's dresses were a bit plain for me but I think classic is preferable to brand new. That and I just loved Kate's dress. I look forward to both Kate and Meghan's fashion choices.
Gee I guess that is it for major royal weddings for awhile.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
TLC had an after-wedding "highlights" show with some of the Say Yes to the Dress folks (NYC and Atlanta editions) and two other people I didn't recognize. They were snarking on Zara Phillips for looking uncomfortable and making faces during Bishop Curry's sermon. FFS, poor Zara looked to be about 1000 months pregnant, and the chairs in the chapel stalls likely weren't built for pregnant ladies. She probably looked uncomfortable because she really was uncomfortable, not because she didn't like the sermon.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
Seriously. A 12-minute sermon is long? Wimps. :lol: My pastor goes three times that length every Sunday.

High Holiday sermons are often a half hour and even ordinary Sabbath sermons in a non-Orthodox synagogue are 15 minutes. My experience with Methodist and Congregationalist services surprised me: they were so short!

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
TLC had an after-wedding "highlights" show with some of the Say Yes to the Dress folks (NYC and Atlanta editions) and two other people I didn't recognize. They were snarking on Zara Phillips for looking uncomfortable and making faces during Bishop Curry's sermon. FFS, poor Zara looked to be about 1000 months pregnant, and the chairs in the chapel stalls likely weren't built for pregnant ladies. She probably looked uncomfortable because she really was uncomfortable, not because she didn't like the sermon.

Seriously? How brain-dead are these people? I felt bad for Zara. I'm sure no-one would have minded if she didn't come.

skatfan

Kind of hard to talk about things that love can change without getting into the "political". I don't see what was patronizing about that. And yes, @liv, he was performing. So is the minister who stands up there and calmly reads the sermon. It's all performing.

And as for the guests in the audience going :eek: -well, wake up to the fact that there's more than one way to preach.

This.

As someone who preaches weekly and has a ton of clergy colleagues in my twitter feed and Facebook friends, the overwhelming consensus was highly favorable about Curry’s message and energy (from many denominations and a variety of races). It will have played differently in the very large chapel than on our TVs.

Afterwords the archbishop was very flattering in the interview that I saw.

Last edited:

screech

Apparently they've remained friends since breaking up. Chelsy Davy was actually Harry's date to Will and Kate's wedding (they were no longer together at the time), and Cressida Bonas is close friends with Harry's cousins too.

IIRC some of Will's exes were at his wedding, and he's been invited to weddings of his exes too.

Apparently one of the reasons Harry and Cressida broke up is because she's an actress and wanted to keep her career.

In any case, the more I look at Meghan's dress, the more I like it. I've almost come around to loving it!!
It was a bit loose around the sides of the bust area, but I think that could be due to losing more weight than anticipated in the wedding lead-up.

IceAlisa

I see nothing wrong with that if you’ve maintained good relationships.

The countess Spencer was indeed stunning. Oh! She’s Canadian!

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
I was amused by all the reports of the people who "stole the show" from Meghan: George & Charlotte, Kate by wearing white (it was clearly light yellow), the Mulroney twins, Pippa, Amal, Serena, & various other guests stole the show by wearing beautiful outfits.

BTW there were 2 guests who IMO had a massive fail in their outfits for the day: Camilla & Oprah. I hated everything Camilla was wearing, including her hideous hat. Why must she always wear a full skirt on her suits? A pegged skirt would have been much more flattering. And poor Oprah. Her weight has gone up & down for years but she has always known how to dress for her "fuller figure". That dress was too short & was awful on her. It didn't suit her at all. Per Gayle King, she had another outfit that had to be scrapped at the last minute so I guess that was the best she could do.

screech

I actually didn't mind Oprah's outfit!

As for Camilla, her outfits always amuse me. Especially her hats, which usually look as though a bird has flown into them. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I also like how Charles wore a bright pink flower pinned to his lapel, which seemed to tie in to the pale pink of Camilla's dress (and also, he always has the BEST tie/pocket square game).

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information