Gymnastics News #23: Defying Gravity

Status
Not open for further replies.

danafan

Canadian ladies über
Two time world AA champion (1981 and 1985) Yuri Korolev has passed way. Half the gold medal winning MAG team (including Moglinyi and Balabanov) and two of the 1985 AA world champions (Korolev and Shushunova) have passed way.

He was the top gymnast in the world when I started following the sport and was always my favourite. He missed the 1988 Olympics after tearing his achilles tendon but he eventually made it to the Olympics as a judge in 2008.

dramagrrl

Kayla DiCello announced her plans to take a gap year from competing NCAA for the Florida Gators and pursue her Olympic dreams for 2024. Good for her; she had a great collegiate year and taking a year to go back to elite while still being able to return to NCAA competition in 2025 seems like the ideal plan.

Garden Kitty

Tranquillo
There is also an article in the WSJ (there may be a paywall) confirming that Simone's name is on the list for the US Classic, but that there is no information about what events she plans to compete in

The seismic announcement that Biles is taking steps toward a comeback came with a dry delivery: her name appeared on a list of entries for the U.S. Classic, a low-profile August competition open to all current or former elite gymnasts, from which they can qualify for the national championships.

The revelation came with no additional details and no promises about the now 26-year-old Biles’s intentions. But the move opens the door for her to pursue a berth in the 2024 Paris Olympics, and marks a first step in that direction.
ETA: Also love how in gymnastics circles Brady Quinn is just referred to as Alicia's husband, rather than NFL broadcaster or former NFL quarterback.

Last edited:

Icetalavista

I have a question for those FSUers who are gymnasts or know the scoring well. I just watched the UPB final from 2022 worlds. Can someone explain how pirouettes compare in difficulty with release moves and transitions between bars? I'm trying to be fair to the Chinese routines and as an uninformed fan, I prefer the routines with more between-bar transitions and release moves than they generally have. But the Chinese gymnasts perform beautifully and medal. Is their difficulty really equivalent to the gymnasts with more releases and transitions? thanks.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
I believe the most difficult pirouette is an e-rated skill, there are several different kinds depending on the shape of the body on the way up to handstand and the grip on the bar. Transitions between high and low bar, and low and high bar, are usually valued at d or e, although you will sometimes see easier transitions when a gymnast is going from low to high. Release skills are usually valued anywhere from d up to f or g.

There is a 0.1 difference in difficulty value every time you go up a letter.

Pirouetting skills usually get hammered in execution deductions.

HeatherC

Searching for Sanity
My mom and I decided a while ago to make the weekend trip up to the Chicago area for the US Classic before we knew who all was going to be there, so we bought great tickets and already have our hotel booked close by the arena (yay for SA teaching me about this area)....this now seems like one of the smartest decisions we've ever made with regards to our totally random gymnastics trips, LOL :lol: :cheer2: :biggrinbo

I cannot wait to see that women's lineup (just give me Simone vaulting, Suni on bars, Jade on FX, and Jordan & Shilese on everything and I will be the happiest person EVER :D) and the men's lineup seems pretty stacked too. Should be a fun weekend! :cheer:

Rob

Beach Bum
My mom and I decided a while ago to make the weekend trip up to the Chicago area for the US Classic before we knew who all was going to be there, so we bought great tickets and already have our hotel booked close by the arena (yay for SA teaching me about this area)....this now seems like one of the smartest decisions we've ever made with regards to our totally random gymnastics trips, LOL :lol: :cheer2: :biggrinbo

I cannot wait to see that women's lineup (just give me Simone vaulting, Suni on bars, Jade on FX, and Jordan & Shilese on everything and I will be the happiest person EVER :D) and the men's lineup seems pretty stacked too. Should be a fun weekend! :cheer:
I would be fine with that as the 2024 Olympic Team, though I like Konnor a lot.

VGThuy

Having the 2020 Olympics happen in 2021 has totally messed up the rhythm I had in my mind. But then, that's kind of true for many things in this "post-COVID" world, haha.

SidelineSkater

We randomly decided on a Europe trip this fall. Our first international trip since 2018. Netherlands/Belgium in early October. Just happened to snag tickets to the event finals on Saturday & Sunday for Worlds in Antwerp...so if Simone happens to qualify and compete...lucky us!

Regardless, it'll be a fun experience to see gymnastics live!

HeatherC

Searching for Sanity
That US Classic roster just keeps getting better and better! :cheer:

FYI, I heard that the senior ladies event there is now sold out. :yikes: :eek:

love skating

Clueless American
Too many wonderful gymnasts, too few Olympic spots! I know I'm going to be heartbroken for many gymnasts who don't make the team.

Hedwig

Antique member
Gabby Douglas confirmed on her Instagram she plans to return to competition and posted this reel of a perfect E+E pirouette combo from training.

for some reasons all the come-back only for the Olympics don't sit well with me. I know - if they make it to the team it is mostly because they are better than others and they earn the spot but this focus on the Olympics and that only is a bit sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information