Gymnastics News #21 - Tumbling on to Tokyo

Status
Not open for further replies.

FiveRinger

USA Gymnastics (usagym) is showing Simone Biles’ training today in their Instagram stories.

She’s getting her skills back! I still hate wolf turns, though. Also, I think that’s a new and improved transition from the low to the high bar on her bars.
I'm glad that Simone is back. Who can I pay to get wolf turns devalued down to zero?

Garden Kitty

Tranquillo
Watched some of the NBCSN broadcast from Japan this weekend. Always delighted to tune in and hear Tanith. You can tell she's done her homework on gymnastics.

D

Deleted member 74551

Aliya’s back! She looks darn good at Nationals considering she’s been training for 5 months or something after giving birth. In all her interviews she was making it sound like she was just going to do a bunch of layouts.

(Still doesn’t have a solid acro series on beam. Welcome back Musty)

ilovepaydays

USA Gymnastics YouTube - Biles. Is. Back.

I know it just showed her in practice, but I think her form on bars looks better.

I like her new coach’s (Laurent Landi) philosophy. But wasn’t he at WOGA beforehand?

I don’t care how superb Simone does them, I still hate wolf turns on beam.

Erin

Banned Member
I like her new coach’s (Laurent Landi) philosophy. But wasn’t he at WOGA beforehand?

Yes, Laurent and Cecile (Canqueteau) Landi were at WOGA and coached Madison Kocian and Alyssa Baumann there. Cecile explained how things came to be on the Gymcastic interview that she was on along with Elvire Teza from a few weeks ago. At some point after Rio (I want to say about 8 months after), they decided they needed a break and left WOGA and took an extended vacation in France. They were deciding on their next steps and in the process of purchasing a gym in Arizona when the call came from Simone. (Well, technically I believe it came from Nellie Biles.) Coaching Simone was too good of an offer to turn down, so they put their dreams of owning their own gym on hold and obviously took the job.

ilovepaydays

Yes, Laurent and Cecile (Canqueteau) Landi were at WOGA and coached Madison Kocian and Alyssa Baumann there. Cecile explained how things came to be on the Gymcastic interview that she was on along with Elvire Teza from a few weeks ago. At some point after Rio (I want to say about 8 months after), they decided they needed a break and left WOGA and took an extended vacation in France. They were deciding on their next steps and in the process of purchasing a gym in Arizona when the call came from Simone. (Well, technically I believe it came from Nellie Biles.) Coaching Simone was too good of an offer to turn down, so they put their dreams of owning their own gym on hold and obviously took the job.

I guess that explains Simone's apparent improvements on bars. :)

I was curious if they came from WOGA how much Valeri's methods influenced them.

Erin

Banned Member
I was curious if they came from WOGA how much Valeri's methods influenced them.

Yeah, that's a good point and sadly always a concern these days. I don't think anything has come out about the Landis and both Alyssa and Madison seem to have had positive experiences with them. Simone mentions in the video asking "Maddie," who I assume is Kocian, before they went ahead with hiring the Landis so if Kocian did have a bad experience with them, she would have had an opportunity to warn Simone and hopefully would have done so.

HeatherC

Searching for Sanity
OMG, the queen is coming back and she all ready looks amazing! If her first competition back ends up being the US Classic this summer, I'm gonna be BEYOND stoked since it's in Columbus and we happen to have amazing seats for it. Go Simone! :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

Garden Kitty

Tranquillo
Landi tweeted a cute pic of Alyssa and Madison from the NCAA Championships saying the pic made her heart happy and that they were two special women to Laurent and her. Madison retweeted the tweet, which suggests she agrees with the sentiment.

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
Anyone know the competitors for Challenge Cup in Croatia next week?

ilovepaydays

Anyone else thinking about going to U.S. Nationals in Boston in August? I'm strongly considering taking a train up to Boston and attending the senior men's and women's competition as well as visiting some historical sites. :)

Winnipeg

Anyone else thinking about going to U.S. Nationals in Boston in August? I'm strongly considering taking a train up to Boston and attending the senior men's and women's competition as well as visiting some historical sites. :)

Sounds like fun! Wish I could go!

Aceon6

TD Garden - August 16-19. I’m still looking at hotels - are they normally this pricey!?
Normal is $200-300 for a basic room. There’s a lot of demand mid/late August as it’s move in time at the bazillion colleges in Boston and the surrounds. If you find anything under $200, grab it.

Erin

Banned Member
Does anyone know if Biles plans to compete at Classic?

Depends on which Classic you are talking about. There is the American Classic this coming weekend in Utah, which she is not planning to compete at. Then there is the U.S. Classic at the end of July in Columbus. She is planning to do bars and beam at that one, assuming reports of a shattered toe bone don’t get in the way (she posted this a couple weeks ago: https://twitter.com/nabievastty/status/1010381396643282944?s=21, but subsequently made posts about doing a full floor routine so maybe it’s not that bad)

BaileyCatts

Is there a detailed listing of gymnastics comps that are shown on US TV? I've been missing a bunch of them because my DVR isn't picking them up because they come across named different things instead of just "gymnastics".

Aceon6

@BaileyCatts My TiVo is hit or miss, so I just check the program guide once a week and manually pick them out. OlyChan has the FIG World Challenge series now and either NBCSN or OlyChan will have the US Classic later this month.

savchenkoboss

Banned Member
I hope Simone will be in contention for the World AA gold and World vault titles this year. Those are the two titles I want to see her most, especialy the vault as she has never won that. Does anyone think she might be a contender for those 2 golds come worlds this year?

ilovepaydays

Well, we have to see her at U.S. Nationals, first.

Assuming Simone comes BACK - I think she could win the AA easily, but I'm REALLY interested to see her win also floor again!

savchenkoboss

Banned Member
I would rather her win vault since she doesnt have a vault world title yet. If she wins floor fine, but she has already done that a million times so I dont care too much either way.

HeatherC

Searching for Sanity
We bought our tickets so long ago that I can't believe the US Classic is finally coming up at the end of this month. I'm SUPER excited to see Simone there (and the others too but mainly her, LOL)! :cheer:

savchenkoboss

Banned Member
I think Simone might be a contender to place top 3 in the AA at the U.S classic. I will be rooting for her to make that podium. Go queen Simone, welcome back!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information