Gymnastics News #21 - Tumbling on to Tokyo

FiveRinger

Ratings
USA Gymnastics (usagym) is showing Simone Biles’ training today in their Instagram stories.

She’s getting her skills back! I still hate wolf turns, though. Also, I think that’s a new and improved transition from the low to the high bar on her bars.
I'm glad that Simone is back. Who can I pay to get wolf turns devalued down to zero?

Fizz

Ratings
Aliya’s back! She looks darn good at Nationals considering she’s been training for 5 months or something after giving birth. In all her interviews she was making it sound like she was just going to do a bunch of layouts.

(Still doesn’t have a solid acro series on beam. Welcome back Musty)

ilovepaydays

Ratings
USA Gymnastics YouTube - Biles. Is. Back.

I know it just showed her in practice, but I think her form on bars looks better.

I like her new coach’s (Laurent Landi) philosophy. But wasn’t he at WOGA beforehand?

I don’t care how superb Simone does them, I still hate wolf turns on beam.

Erin

Ratings
I like her new coach’s (Laurent Landi) philosophy. But wasn’t he at WOGA beforehand?
Yes, Laurent and Cecile (Canqueteau) Landi were at WOGA and coached Madison Kocian and Alyssa Baumann there. Cecile explained how things came to be on the Gymcastic interview that she was on along with Elvire Teza from a few weeks ago. At some point after Rio (I want to say about 8 months after), they decided they needed a break and left WOGA and took an extended vacation in France. They were deciding on their next steps and in the process of purchasing a gym in Arizona when the call came from Simone. (Well, technically I believe it came from Nellie Biles.) Coaching Simone was too good of an offer to turn down, so they put their dreams of owning their own gym on hold and obviously took the job.

ilovepaydays

Ratings
Yes, Laurent and Cecile (Canqueteau) Landi were at WOGA and coached Madison Kocian and Alyssa Baumann there. Cecile explained how things came to be on the Gymcastic interview that she was on along with Elvire Teza from a few weeks ago. At some point after Rio (I want to say about 8 months after), they decided they needed a break and left WOGA and took an extended vacation in France. They were deciding on their next steps and in the process of purchasing a gym in Arizona when the call came from Simone. (Well, technically I believe it came from Nellie Biles.) Coaching Simone was too good of an offer to turn down, so they put their dreams of owning their own gym on hold and obviously took the job.
I guess that explains Simone's apparent improvements on bars. :)

I was curious if they came from WOGA how much Valeri's methods influenced them.

Erin

Ratings
I was curious if they came from WOGA how much Valeri's methods influenced them.
Yeah, that's a good point and sadly always a concern these days. I don't think anything has come out about the Landis and both Alyssa and Madison seem to have had positive experiences with them. Simone mentions in the video asking "Maddie," who I assume is Kocian, before they went ahead with hiring the Landis so if Kocian did have a bad experience with them, she would have had an opportunity to warn Simone and hopefully would have done so.

HeatherC

Go Team SW Florida! =)
Ratings
OMG, the queen is coming back and she all ready looks amazing! If her first competition back ends up being the US Classic this summer, I'm gonna be BEYOND stoked since it's in Columbus and we happen to have amazing seats for it. Go Simone! :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

Ratings
Landi tweeted a cute pic of Alyssa and Madison from the NCAA Championships saying the pic made her heart happy and that they were two special women to Laurent and her. Madison retweeted the tweet, which suggests she agrees with the sentiment.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)