Gymnastics News #21 - Tumbling on to Tokyo

Status
Not open for further replies.

danafan

Canadian ladies über
The USAG men's qualifying meet was held recently. There was a lot of angst from fans online because there was no live stream, no archive videos from USAG, and that they weren't even promoting the competition via their social media.

The press release from before the competition indicates that 72 gymnasts were entered. Probably this is higher than the number of junior and senior women entered in the US Classic, but I'm not sure.

https://usagym.org/pages/post.html?PostID=22253&prog=h

Results: https://usagym.org/pages/post.html?PostID=22273

41 gymnasts competed at least one routine in the senior competition.

HeatherC

Searching for Sanity
We're heading up to Columbus tomorrow morning and I'm SO ready for this weekend's events! We plan to catch the HOPES competition tomorrow afternoon and both the Junior and Senior Classics events on Saturday. I probably won't get to post anything here until I get home on Sunday but you can follow me on Twitter (kwanfan1212) or Instagram (HeatherC1275) if you'd like to see some pictures and read some of my thoughts during the weekend. SO EXCITED! :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

Erin

Banned Member
I already have in in places 1, 2, and 3.

Really? I find this one the hardest to predict because you don’t know who is doing all-around. Aliona Schennikova won the meet last year, so...

I’m predicting a lot of the big guns will just do bars and beam.

FiveRinger

Really? I find this one the hardest to predict because you don’t know who is doing all-around. Aliona Schennikova won the meet last year, so...

I’m predicting a lot of the big guns will just do bars and beam.
I was being a bit facetious. ;)

I don’t have the slightest clue how she will do. But I am rooting for her!

Willin

Is there a men's competition here? If so, will it be broadcast or streamed? All I see is the ladies, but I love watching the men as well... -.-

ilovepaydays

Okay, Olympic Channel - Simone is of course awesome sauce and all, but there are other routines going on while you do 493,430,429 shots on her.

That being said, Simone got 6.6 D on floor. NICE!

Is there a men's competition here? If so, will it be broadcast or streamed? All I see is the ladies, but I love watching the men as well... -.-

No - and I believe all the men's qualifications for nationals have already happened.

dramagrrl

Shame about Morgan's fall on BB. Everything else she did was so precise and beautiful.

I also really enjoyed Sloane Blakely on beam. And Simone is a total rock star. Obviously.

dramagrrl

Riley is looking strong.

Has Ragan Smith grown a lot since last year?

ETA: When did it become acceptable for elite seniors to vault FTYs again?? That's so 1988!

Last edited:

ilovepaydays

Um, Tim Daggett - of course Riley probably wasn't going to beat Simone here. But did you have to keep talking about her like she was a today loser today? Riley did GREAT - her bars were gorgeous!

savchenkoboss

Banned Member
I was really hoping Simone could maybe place top 3 in the AA here in her comeback. Not only did she place top 3, but she won! So exciting to see. I did not see the meet so my only concern is her bars score. Was it so low since she had a fall or major error or was she just that badly outperformed by the top bar workers?

Also I see Ragan Smith did not do floor. I hope that was the plan and it wasnt an injury. By her scores it looks like she didnt do great though.

SpeedySucks

I was really hoping Simone could maybe place top 3 in the AA here in her comeback. Not only did she place top 3, but she won! So exciting to see. I did not see the meet so my only concern is her bars score. Was it so low since she had a fall or major error or was she just that badly outperformed by the top bar workers?

Also I see Ragan Smith did not do floor. I hope that was the plan and it wasnt an injury. By her scores it looks like she didnt do great though.

On the broadcast, Terry Gannon said that Ragan needed surgery on her ankle but chose to rehab with therapy instead. That doesn’t seem like a recipe for her staying healthy this year. If her goal is 2020, I don’t understand why she didn’t have surgery - better to miss this year than the next two.

BaileyCatts

Question: is there some rule about when you can use the crash mat in the Floor routines? I don't see that very often in competitions that I see on TV.

danafan

Canadian ladies über
Question: is there some rule about when you can use the crash mat in the Floor routines? I don't see that very often in competitions that I see on TV.

Generally extra mats are not allowed in official FIG international events. But individual federations who host their domestic events have rules about using extra matting. Regardless it's only a 0.5 deduction.

Rob

Beach Bum
So happy to see Simone back. Riley looked wonderful. Morgan showed such confidence as new World champ, she looked amazing on beam apart from the fall. Definitely worried about Ragan’s injury, and the Minnie Mouse bow on the top of her head has to go.

savchenkoboss

Banned Member
I feel for Ragan. Without her injury it is virtually 100% certain she is World AA champ last year, she probably wins even with a fall. Now that ship has probably already sailed and she will have a hard time even being a top 3 AAer in the U.S this year. As for her hedging on the surgery, it might be that while she says she is gunning for 2020, deep down in her heart she doesnt believe she can make the 2020 team so is really trying to do something big now while she still can, before more up and comers pass her by.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information