Gymnastic news #22 - Tokyo or bust

Status
Not open for further replies.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
Apparently NBC thinks so. Because that's who is going to stop paying the bills if it gets cancelled.

Olympians are extremely driven people - I can't imagine them not going, even with all the risks. Like you, I worry that some athletes will get seriously ill and perhaps take their entire teams out of competition by testing positive.
OOHHH! Just realized that I will be with an OGM winner. I shall ask him.
I know what he will say...............I am sure he will agree with you.

skatfan

I don't think anyone from outside Japan was being allowed in other than athletes, coaches and officials. Only the Japanese were going to be allowed in the stands. That said, I wonder if they will be refunding those who purchased tickets.
The media is also going - from around the world.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
I said I would talk to my friend who won an OGM in Nagano. He said no audience........no problem.
He also said he can't imagine an Olympic Athlete missing a competition because of a fear of getting sick.
He then said.........he would have gone if there was no vaccine. He had trained for this almost his entire life, and if he got sick, at least he would have competed at the OLYS.

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
I said I would talk to my friend who won an OGM in Nagano. He said no audience........no problem.
He also said he can't imagine an Olympic Athlete missing a competition because of a fear of getting sick.
He then said.........he would have gone if there was no vaccine. He had trained for this almost his entire life, and if he got sick, at least he would have competed at the OLYS.
I suspect for a lot of athletes in some of the niche sports, small or no audiences is pretty typical. And, even for athletes in bigger sports, they all start a small, local club competitions where there isn't much of an audience aside from family and friends. I'm sure they'll be fine, even if they would love to have their families there to support them at the OLYS.

bardtoob

The male commentator is really stupid. He attributes the Soviets liking the FX to the music, which is Shannon's Let the Music Play. However, the Soviets probably actually like the FX because the tumbling and dance are clean, complex and fit the music, including the timing of the kicks.

Last edited:

VGThuy

Was it Bart Connor? I don't think his statement was "really stupid". The song was a hit worldwide. No reason the Soviets wouldn't like it as well as the fact her tumbling and choreo matched the music well, which audiences everywhere would appreciate.

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
I guess NBC decided not to share this story. Wow!
She was sentenced las year. The “reporter” just figured it out and is getting massive clicks. He tagged everyone from UCLA to the entirety of the gym world in his tweet, making sure everyone on the gymternet saw it. Yes, it’s somewhat newsworthy, but the “reporter” is dead to me.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
Personally I am not agreeing with the criticism. It’s a 4 person team I think they really do need to be careful due to injury
I think they selected the best, safest team. But I think a lot of the criticism is directed at the process and the lack of communication with athletes, not so much the composition of the team.

Their own defense of Grace as the fourth member has been poorly communicated. But since the person they didn't chose is also going to the Olympics, it's kind of hard to articulate why they didn't want her on the team without signaling to the judges how she is deficient or lesser.

skatfan

She was sentenced las year. The “reporter” just figured it out and is getting massive clicks. He tagged everyone from UCLA to the entirety of the gym world in his tweet, making sure everyone on the gymternet saw it. Yes, it’s somewhat newsworthy, but the “reporter” is dead to me.
That reporter is actually the best reporter on gymnastics out there. In all the reports about the Chiles family, it was all about how her parents supported her but nothing about the mother’s felony crimes? Yeah, that is newsworthy.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
Meh.... believe it or not, criminals can be loving parents. This has nothing to do with Jordan. Newsworthy, sure, but disgusting that the media will now harass Jordan because of it.

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
That reporter is actually the best reporter on gymnastics out there. In all the reports about the Chiles family, it was all about how her parents supported her but nothing about the mother’s felony crimes? Yeah, that is newsworthy.
The way it was tagged rubbed me the wrong way. Perhaps he didn’t have any input into the tweet, but OCR sure did. And they knew what they were doing. Interestingly, the original tweet has been edited and @ucla has been removed.

FiveRinger

I saw this on social media and was surprised no one had posted it here. I just didn't want to give this attention and take focus off of Jordan and her accomplishments. It had Real Housewives of Salt Lake City/Jen Shah vibes. The actual charges are pretty shocking.

The coverage of this rubs me wrong, too. All of this negative attention right before Jordan goes to compete. Then again, when Simone's brother was exonerated and the murder charges were dropped, that got almost no attention. The media is definitely problematic.

Jordan has done a phenomenal job over the last year, her gymnastics improving, getting more consistent despite this situation most likely being on her mind. That should be the focus, if there has to be one.

ross_hy

Ever since the Trials ended, I've thought about how Worlds this fall will be a nice redemption for the gymnasts whose Trials didn't go the way the wanted (should they choose to continue competing). One person I've thought about is Allan Bower - he reminds me of when Ashley Wagner branded herself the "almost girl" before she made the team for Sochi.

Apparently, despite the fact that he's an alternate for the Olympic team, he wasn't deemed worthy to be invited to the Worlds Trials Camp. What's up with that?

skatfan

I saw this on social media and was surprised no one had posted it here. I just didn't want to give this attention and take focus off of Jordan and her accomplishments. It had Real Housewives of Salt Lake City/Jen Shah vibes. The actual charges are pretty shocking.

The coverage of this rubs me wrong, too. All of this negative attention right before Jordan goes to compete. Then again, when Simone's brother was exonerated and the murder charges were dropped, that got almost no attention. The media is definitely problematic.
Well, her mother is the problematic one - bilking people out of more than $1 million is not a petty crime. A reporter doing a straight news story is called reporting. Chiles became more of a public figure when named to the Olympic team. Her mother is going to prison so it's quite different from Simone's brother.

I do find it interesting that apparently her mother lived with her in Texas while she was training. I would guess that part of the negotiation on her sentence was that she would not have to begin serving it until her daughter was done training in Texas to avoid disruption.

I have a member of my congregation, the daughter of the founding pastor of the church I'm currently serving, who has been charged with embezzling hundreds of thousands of dollars from the clients of her payroll service company. It's in the newspaper and people know that there will be a trial later this month in the county. Her father and mother still live in the community and it's very embarrassing. It is not problematic that the newspaper published stories about it.

canbelto

I can't find the article but there's some article out there saying that officials worry team USA isn't vaxxed. This is so worrisome -- since they live and train together leading up to the games one positive test could derail the whole team.

skatfan

I can't find the article but there's some article out there saying that officials worry team USA isn't vaxxed. This is so worrisome -- since they live and train together leading up to the games one positive test could derail the whole team.
Some are, some aren’t. I think I also heard that the alternates would be with the team heading which seems really dumb if anyone turns up positive.

FiveRinger

Well, her mother is the problematic one - bilking people out of more than $1 million is not a petty crime. A reporter doing a straight news story is called reporting. Chiles became more of a public figure when named to the Olympic team. Her mother is going to prison so it's quite different from Simone's brother.

I do find it interesting that apparently her mother lived with her in Texas while she was training. I would guess that part of the negotiation on her sentence was that she would not have to begin serving it until her daughter was done training in Texas to avoid disruption.

I have a member of my congregation, the daughter of the founding pastor of the church I'm currently serving, who has been charged with embezzling hundreds of thousands of dollars from the clients of her payroll service company. It's in the newspaper and people know that there will be a trial later this month in the county. Her father and mother still live in the community and it's very embarrassing. It is not problematic that the newspaper published stories about it.
I don't have a problem with reporting the story as a news story as it happened. The issue for me is that the plea occurred in March 2020 and sentencing occurred in November of the same year and the article that I saw in the OCR was written like this happened yesterday. To drudge this up right before Jordan competes at the Olympics is just cruel. She was training in Texas and was national team member at the time of the plea and the sentencing. But only now that she's made the Olympic team this is newsworthy?

And you're right, it's not Jordan's crime, it's her mother's. It's horrific and I'm not excusing it. But the timing of it is suspect. Even NBC, with all of their questionable coverage, didn't touch any of this. Hopefully it was out of respect for the athlete

skatfan

I don't have a problem with reporting the story as a news story as it happened.
Her beginning her sentence this month is “as it is happening” while daughter is competing.

And you're right, it's not Jordan's crime, it's her mother's. It's horrific and I'm not excusing it. But the timing of it is suspect. Even NBC, with all of their questionable coverage, didn't touch any of this. Hopefully it was out of respect for the athlete
As I have said, Scott Reid is a very highly respected reporter on gymnastics. One doesn’t shy away from stories because they are going to upset an athlete. Her mom got all kinds of kudos for helping her daughter. It turns out that she’s way more complex given her crimes.

FiveRinger

Her beginning her sentence this month is “as it is happening” while daughter is competing.

As I have said, Scott Reid is a very highly respected reporter on gymnastics. One doesn’t shy away from stories because they are going to upset an athlete. Her mom got all kinds of kudos for helping her daughter. It turns out that she’s way more complex given her crimes.
He is a great reporter, well-respected even. He's done a phenomenal job covering the abuse in gymnastics. I've read a lot of his articles covering Haney, Nassar, etc. I'll give him his due for that. I just don't agree with the way he chose to cover this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information