Gymnastic news #22 - Tokyo or bust

Status
Not open for further replies.

clairecloutier

MyKayla Skinner announced that she's going pro after the Olympics and not returning to NCAA competition. Among other reasons, she says her body needs a rest from gymnastics:

https://twitter.com/mykaylaskinner/status/1411355294462971905

On the subject of Dick's commentary, I remember him as someone who was more focused on the overall performance than on the elements. But not in a rah-rah! Scott Hamilton way. Dick had more of a sense of the overall aesthetic theme of the program and whether the skater was living up to it or not. At times he could be very opinionated and a bit unpleasant, but I do think I agreed with him a fair amount of the time. I remember having the sense at times that he wanted the men, in particular, to have a certain image or quality on the ice that seemed to involve traditional concepts of "masculinity." But then he was also willing to celebrate men who just had an outstanding performance, even if they weren't playing to that paradigm.

What are the reasons that he was a bad commentator?

canbelto

MyKayla Skinner announced that she's going pro after the Olympics and not returning to NCAA competition. Among other reasons, she says her body needs a rest from gymnastics:

https://twitter.com/mykaylaskinner/status/1411355294462971905

On the subject of Dick's commentary, I remember him as someone who was more focused on the overall performance than on the elements. But not in a rah-rah! Scott Hamilton way. Dick had more of a sense of the overall aesthetic theme of the program and whether the skater was living up to it or not. At times he could be very opinionated and a bit unpleasant, but I do think I agreed with him a fair amount of the time. I remember having the sense at times that he wanted the men, in particular, to have a certain image or quality on the ice that seemed to involve traditional concepts of "masculinity." But then he was also willing to celebrate men who just had an outstanding performance, even if they weren't playing to that paradigm.

What are the reasons that he was a bad commentator?

He wasn't a bad commentator IMO but he definitely had a very fixed aesthetic that he liked and could be dismissive of skaters who didn't fit that aesthetic.

annie720

He wasn't a bad commentator IMO but he definitely had a very fixed aesthetic that he liked and could be dismissive of skaters who didn't fit that aesthetic.
I freely admit that my opinion of skating styles was strongly influenced by Dick. He loved programs with with a good mix of artistry and technical. Musicality was extremely important. Woe to the skaters, especially female, who didn’t have the greatest posture. It would get mentioned over and over. Woe to the men whose strength was mainly jumps. Poor Jan Hoffman. I love balletic programs with intricate choreography so Dick didn’t bother me much. I’m sure my view of gymnastics was similarly shaped by the commentators of the day and was the reason I preferred the style of Kathy Johnson over that of Mary Lou Retton.

Hedwig

Antique member
I
A friend sent me the first three eps last night and I devoured one and two in one sitting. Really well put together and can't wait to watch Ep 3 tonight! Dominique Dawes saying the sacrifice just isn't worth it at the end of the opening episode was really eye opening!
Is there a way to watch it in Europe?

skatfan

I

Is there a way to watch it in Europe?
If you have a vpn, you might be able to stream on your computer via peacocktv.com - you'd have to pay for the service I'm guessing. A lot of us here get the basic service free with our cable TV.

GoneWithTheWind

More teams have been announced...

China MAG:
Team: Xiao Ruoteng, Zou Jingyuan, Sun Wei, Lin Chaopan
Individual Spots: You Hao, Liu Yang
Source: https://twitter.com/thegymterdotnet/status/1410994572189110281

China WAG:
Team: Zhang Jin, Tang Xijing, Lu Yufei, Ou Yushan
Individual: Fan Yilin, Guan Chenchen
Source: https://twitter.com/chngym/status/1411230626821263360

Really pleased to see Tang Xijing on the team, I loved her '21st in AA quals and 2-per country-ed out' to 'Worlds silver medal' saga at 2019 Worlds. Also, if Guan Chenchen hits her beam routine she is a definite contender for Gold (although 'if' might be the key word here...)

Belgium WAG:
Nina Derwael, Maellyse Brassart, Jutta Verkest, Lisa Vaelen
Alternates: Noémie Louon and Fien Enghels.
Source: https://twitter.com/thegymterdotnet/status/1411348405843079171

VGThuy

I love her beam routine:

I definitely have PTSD though from all the gorgeous Chinese beamers who have crashed and burned during international competition.
I feel like the ghost of Yang Bo will never be exorcised.

VGThuy

Well, China did place 1 and 2 on beam in 2012 in London. Does that count?
And Liu Xuan won beam gold in 2000 and Fan Ye won worlds beam gold in 2003 in a rare 9.8+ routine during that Olympic cycle. I still think the demon is there because they’re still going to break my heart consistently even though they have had follow up world beam title winners since. To be fair, I was just joking about the curse of Yang Bo but I always say it when a beautiful Chinese gymnast who should dominate ends up messing up. They were the team I rooted for and would love to again, but I think that whole program needs a revamp in a lot of ways.

Last edited:

FiveRinger

New episode of Golden is up on Peacock. Intense!
It was. I have heard of athletes having nerves. The coverage of Konnor at Classics scared me. To see that girl vomiting in a bag literally on the podium and the clock counting down the seconds she had to mount the beam....it shook me. Hearing her coach's nonchalant response to her nerves pissed me off. Her coach says that this has always been an issue for Konnor. It made me think that her nerves are why Konnor left her coach and came back and essentially missed Nationals. Competing shouldn't tie you up in knots to this point, should it? Can't we get her a sports therapist or something? This isn't right.

skatfan

It was. I have heard of athletes having nerves. The coverage of Konnor at Classics scared me. To see that girl vomiting in a bag literally on the podium and the clock counting down the seconds she had to mount the beam....it shook me. Hearing her coach's nonchalant response to her nerves pissed me off. Her coach says that this has always been an issue for Konnor. It made me think that her nerves are why Konnor left her coach and came back and essentially missed Nationals. Competing shouldn't tie you up in knots to this point, should it? Can't we get her a sports therapist or something? This isn't right.
Her coach was very inexperienced at the elite level - probably as anxious about things as her athlete. That said, going to WOGA wouldn’t be my choice for her. There will be openings after the Olympics that she might take advantage of.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
Did y'all see the announcement that Japan has just announced there will be no spectators at events? CNN

Is that the sound of plane tickets being refunded?
I know I am very conservative in things (except my horse)
I know that athletes have been training their entire lives for the opportunity to compete at the Olympics.

But is it worth your life?

becca

Did y'all see the announcement that Japan has just announced there will be no spectators at events? CNN

I know that athletes have been training their entire lives for the opportunity to compete at the Olympics.

My understanding is if we’re up to the Japanese it would be cancelled

skatfan

Apparently NBC thinks so. Because that's who is going to stop paying the bills if it gets cancelled.

Olympians are extremely driven people - I can't imagine them not going, even with all the risks. Like you, I worry that some athletes will get seriously ill and perhaps take their entire teams out of competition by testing positive.

A.H.Black

I don't think anyone from outside Japan was being allowed in other than athletes, coaches and officials. Only the Japanese were going to be allowed in the stands. That said, I wonder if they will be refunding those who purchased tickets.

I would hope all athletes would have a chance to be vaccinated although I don't know if they do.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
I don't think anyone from outside Japan was being allowed in other than athletes, coaches and officials. Only the Japanese were going to be allowed in the stands. That said, I wonder if they will be refunding those who purchased tickets

In this day and time, I would hope that vendors will refund the tickets. It seems morally correct to me.

I would hope all athletes would have a chance to be vaccinated although I don't know if they do.

"I realize getting vaccinated may be difficult. I can't really imagine a set of circumstances where an athlete is not vaccinated. Federations have put tons of money supporting these athletes. It is such an honor for the athlete and their country. I would think that proof of vaccination would be as important as your passport and airline ticket.

Here are the vaccination requirements for California Schools:
mmunization Requirements for School Entry
  • Diphtheria, Tetanus, and Pertussis (DTaP, DTP, Tdap, or Td) — 5 doses. (4 doses OK if one was given on or after 4th birthday. ...
  • Polio (OPV or IPV) — 4 doses. ...
  • Hepatitis B — 3 doses. ...
  • Measles, Mumps, and Rubella (MMR) — 2 doses. ...
  • Varicella (Chickenpox) — 2 doses.

You can get a religious or medical exemption. Other than that your kid does not go to school. It has virtually eliminated these diseases. I think it is a reasonable requirement for the athletes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information