Gymnastic news #22 - Tokyo or bust

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucy25

Chelsie Memmel has been doing what she calls “adult gymnastics” for a while now, and she likes to post them. She quelled rumors of a comeback some time ago. She says she does this now to stay in shape.

BaileyCatts

So was there any word if 2020 US Nationals is going to happen at all this year? I'm assuming June will be a no go, but can they postpone and have it later in the year?

Erin

Banned Member
Chelsie Memmel has been doing what she calls “adult gymnastics” for a while now, and she likes to post them. She quelled rumors of a comeback some time ago. She says she does this now to stay in shape.

Her post yesterday was a little different - saying that “the seed has been planted” to go for Tokyo and that her excuse that she would see how the dismount didn’t work when it went really well. She clarified today that it’s not a commitment but also that it was not an April Fool’s joke.

I would love to see her compete and at least make Nationals, given the way Marta retired her in 2011.

Last edited:

clairecloutier

skatingguy

decently
A New York Times article about what the postponement means for Simone Biles, Mykayla Skinner, Sunisa Lee, and other U.S. gymnasts:

Choupette

People in the comments seem to think this is not important. Of course it's not like a death or losing a job, but I don't think they realize how hard these athletes have trained and from an early age. If they had trained like that with so little time off for so many years, they would feel the same.

VGThuy

I guess a lot of people don't have much sympathy right now since they're probably dealing with a lot of financial and other woes and will be hurting that way even after the quarantine is over. I'm not saying it's right, but I think people aren't in the best place emotionally right now to put themselves in these hard-working athletes' shoes.

tylersf

So are they still sending only 4 to Tokyo? Since there is a postponement, why don't they just go ahead and change the rules to allow 7 per team? I'm still down with the 3 only rule for Team Final too. What does everyone think?

BaileyCatts

^^^ Well I'll just hit this one and run for cover ..... I think all current rules and age requirements across all sports should remain intact regardless of the fact the Olympics will now take place in 2021 because its still the "2020 Olympics". Sports that already had qualification spots earned for Olympics 2020, all those spots stand. Those athletes should not have to requalify and try to earn their spot again, that sport fills the remaining spots just as they would have if sports would not have stopped. Sports like gymnastics and swimming, which have had no qualifications yet, should have to follow all current rules regarding age restrictions and # of spots available per Team/Country. They should not change any rules/qualifications or spots available to anything other than what was originally allowed for 2020 Olympics. That's what I think ….. so :slinkaway:slinkaway:slinkaway!!!

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
I’m agreeing with you with one exception. If a country has already held trials and named its team for a specific sport (marathon, for example), the country should be able to hold a 2nd trials and be able to add the winner to the team if the winner’s time/score beats the winner of the first trials. That might result in a few countries getting one more slot in a sport.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
Why don't female gymnasts do whip backs on the floor anymore?

The code of points changed so there is minimal incentive to do this. That, and gymnasts are slightly taller than when whip backs were a thing, which makes it more difficult to incorporate a whip into a tumbling pass because it is usually a 4th element. Since the 2009-2012 code, at least, you could get .1 bonus for whip-whip-bhs-D skill (like a double back). You can get .2 bonus for whip - immediate D skill (whip - double back tuck or back 2.5 twist). But there is no bonus for whip - bhs - anything, even a F or G or higher skill.

See p. 53 (of 209) to see bonus structure for FX. A whipback is an A level skill.

skatfan

I’m agreeing with you with one exception. If a country has already held trials and named its team for a specific sport (marathon, for example), the country should be able to hold a 2nd trials and be able to add the winner to the team if the winner’s time/score beats the winner of the first trials. That might result in a few countries getting one more slot in a sport.

Actually the IOC has already said that any named competitor to 2020 automatically gets their spot.

Bellanca

^^^ Well I'll just hit this one and run for cover ..... I think all current rules and age requirements across all sports should remain intact regardless of the fact the Olympics will now take place in 2021 because its still the "2020 Olympics". Sports that already had qualification spots earned for Olympics 2020, all those spots stand. Those athletes should not have to requalify and try to earn their spot again, that sport fills the remaining spots just as they would have if sports would not have stopped. Sports like gymnastics and swimming, which have had no qualifications yet, should have to follow all current rules regarding age restrictions and # of spots available per Team/Country. They should not change any rules/qualifications or spots available to anything other than what was originally allowed for 2020 Olympics. That's what I think ….. so :slinkaway:slinkaway:slinkaway!!!
I think you’re spot on. There really isn’t a viable justification for changing things up at this time. So often when cancellations happen a sport tends to overcompensate to help smooth the ruffled feathers and take the sting away. It’s better if they just leave it alone and move on down the road. Make any necessary changes later.

dramagrrl

I am baffled at all the comments on the NYT article calling the gymnasts "entitled teenagers" and saying "boo hoo, I have no sympathy for these spoiled kids who do nothing but sports". If the article was about another kind of lifelong dream being postponed or quite possibly cancelled after years of work, would they say the same thing? They also do not seem to realize how precarious a female gymnast's window of opportunity can be. There are many "Big deal, so they have to wait a year!" type comments, but one year can mean growth that either eliminates skills or requires more than a few months to rework technique and regain consistently, or it could mean an injury which sidelines them for exactly the time needed to make the Olympics, or missing another season of NCAA for someone like Skinner who was deferring to train elite, etc. etc. It is obviously not a life and death situation as many other corona stories are, but it is a lot more serious than some teenagers doing flips for fun.

rhapsody

Major news for Tokyo 2020 in 2021:

1. 2017-20 code of points will be extended to 2021
2. Gymnasts born in 2005 are eligible for the Tokyo Olympics*
3. 2021 Worlds in late October will go on as planned
4. Baku World Cup qualification results will stand as the final results**

In case some don't follow gymnastics:
* Previously the youngest gymnasts eligible for 2020 were born in 2004; they're now expanding it to 2005 which includes gymnasts who were previously ineligible for Tokyo 2020
** Baku World Cup was an Olympic qualifier that was cancelled after the qualification round before the final; Azerbaijan passed a law that cancelled all major events in the country overnight in the middle of this competition

I'm personally fine with 1 and 3 but 2 and 4 are BS. If they're simply the 2020 Olympics being held in 2021, then the age eligibility rules should remain the same. Finalizing Baku's qualification scores is trash; gymnasts quite often only do "just enough" to qualify for the final in order to not bust their bodies. There were also several gymnasts who were scheduled to compete there but left the country once it become apparent the Trump flu was taking over and causing countries to shut down.

What are everyone's thoughts?

Last edited:

HeatherC

Searching for Sanity
FYI: NBC Sports is airing a whole bunch of past Olympics coverage starting next week (there's a bunch of gymnastics included) so if there's a big competition that you missed from a previous Olympics, you should get your shot to see it starting on Monday April 13th, 2020. I am most excited to see the Magnificent 7 again since the only coverage I have of it now is a very grainy VHS tape! :cheer:

Schedule Link: https://nbcsportsgrouppressbox.com/...storic-olympic-moments-april-13-26-on-nbcsn/f

BTW-Here is the night I can't wait for....SO much greatness! :cheer:

FRIDAY, APRIL 24 – OLYMPIC CLASSICS: WOMEN’S GYMNASTICS

Almost 30 years of U.S. women’s gymnastics will be featured on Friday and Saturday on NBCSN. Coverage will begin with the ‘Magnificent Seven’ winning the first American team gold medal in Olympic history in 1996. An all-around triple-header features Carly Patterson becoming the first American woman in 20 years to win the all-around in 2004, while Liukin and Johnson followed in 2008 as the first U.S. women to go 1-2 in the all-around at an Olympic Games.

EVENTTIME (ET)NETWORK
Atlanta 1996: Women’s Team Final8 p.m.NBCSN
Athens 2004: Women’s All-Around Final10 p.m.NBCSN
Beijing 2008: Women’s All-Around Final12 a.m.NBCSN
Seoul 1988: Women’s All-Around Final2 a.m.NBCSN

This night will be fun for me too. Too bad it's probably gonna be the NBC coverage so we won't get to see everyone but it will still be a great night of gymnastics. I just have to make sure I go to bed prior to the Athens coverage because that team event is not my fave, LOL :lol:

SATURDAY, APRIL 25 – OLYMPIC CLASSICS: WOMEN’S GYMNASTICS

More historic U.S. gymnastics performances will be presented from the 2016, 2012, and 2004 Olympic Games. Highlighted events include the ‘Fierce Five’ team final in London, Biles and Raisman finishing 1-2 in the Rio individual all-around, and the U.S. capturing a silver medal in the team final at the 2004 Games.

EVENTTIME (ET)NETWORK
London 2012: Women’s Team Final8 p.m.NBCSN
London 2012: Women’s All-Around Final10 p.m.NBCSN
Rio 2016: Women’s All-Around Final11:30 p.m.NBCSN
Athens 2004: Women’s Team Final1:30 a.m.NBCSN

Karina1974

FYI: NBC Sports is airing a whole bunch of past Olympics coverage starting next week (there's a bunch of gymnastics included) so if there's a big competition that you missed from a previous Olympics, you should get your shot to see it starting on Monday April 13th, 2020. I am most excited to see the Magnificent 7 again since the only coverage I have of it now is a very grainy VHS tape! :cheer:

Schedule Link: https://nbcsportsgrouppressbox.com/...storic-olympic-moments-april-13-26-on-nbcsn/f

BTW-Here is the night I can't wait for....SO much greatness! :cheer:

This night will be fun for me too. Too bad it's probably gonna be the NBC coverage so we won't get to see everyone but it will still be a great night of gymnastics. I just have to make sure I go to bed prior to the Athens coverage because that team event is not my fave, LOL :lol:

COOL!!!! My Olympic collection starts with 2000, so getting 1996 and 1988 into my collection will be wonderful! I never would have known about this otherwise! 💖💖

FiveRinger

FYI....The Skating Lesson has done an interview with Daniela Silivas. I haven’t watched it yet, but it showed up in my suggestions. I cannot wait. She is one of the greats, and a huge favorite. It’s posted on YouTube.

canbelto

Here's the video:

I watched it. she talks about why her cohort of Romanians was strong on bars, her weakness on vault, and how she doesn't really follow elite gymnastics. Good interview.

Erin

Banned Member
Crap. I really don't want to give TSL any views. I swore to never support those losers, but I really want to hear what Silivas has to say. Sigh.

I had a similar conundrum with their interview of Kathy Johnson Clarke, and I caved and watched it. (It was really good and worth caving for, so I don’t regret it.) Sorry to say, I will probably do it again with Silivas.

escaflowne9282

Reformed Manspreader
FYI....The Skating Lesson has done an interview with Daniela Silivas. I haven’t watched it yet, but it showed up in my suggestions. I cannot wait. She is one of the greats, and a huge favorite. It’s posted on YouTube.
It's a great interview. She is unbelievably charming and candid about her abilities and the atmosphere of the Romanian gymnastics program of 1980s.
What's more is we finally know the true story behind her infamous hairdo!

mjb52

It's a great interview. She is unbelievably charming and candid about her abilities and the atmosphere of the Romanian gymnastics program of 1980s.
What's more is we finally know the true story behind her infamous hairdo!

What's the true story?

rhapsody

Crap. I really don't want to give TSL any views. I swore to never support those losers, but I really want to hear what Silivas has to say. Sigh.

Totally understand this but I'd grit it out and watch. She's really charming as mentioned and super bubbly. In times like these, I've no regrets indulging in something that had me smiling from ear to ear for a good hour.

I loved how she casually joked about how when 1985 came around the Romanian government just magically decided she was 2 years older and now she happily got rid of those years to keep young. :lol:

Amy L

TSL does better interviews than the regular episodes. Dave is nicer to people to their faces, unlike when he's in his self-proclaimed Regina George mode. If you just watch the interviews, maybe it will send a message via YouTube stats that he needs to focus on those instead...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information