Gymnastic news #22 - Tokyo or bust

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carolla5501

Crap. I really don't want to give TSL any views. I swore to never support those losers, but I really want to hear what Silivas has to say. Sigh.
Stick to your decision.... don't feed the trash talkers!

And no Dave doesn't always know how to keep them coming back. Some of us have realized that our lives are complete without The Trashy Skating troll!

Bellanca

Stick to your decision.... don't feed the trash talkers!

And no Dave doesn't always know how to keep them coming back. Some of us have realized that our lives are complete without The Trashy Skating troll!
Comments, opinions, and jokes are now considered trash talking because you don't agree with what was said? I see. I guess every FSU poster has been guilty (at some point) of "trash talking" then.

Also, why deprive yourselves of something you would enjoy, in this case, the TSL interview w/ Daniela Silivas. It sounds like DL is living rent-free in your head(s). I wouldn't give anyone that much power and especially if it's merely an interview we're talking about here – and not life or death, per se.

I say watch the interview for Daniela (she felt comfortable enough to participate), and then move on.

canbelto

The Silivas interview made me wonder ... what happened to Elena Shushonova after the Olympics? I know she passed away in 2018 but it's like no one from her cohort of gymnastics ever spoke to her again. Did she become a hermit?

FiveRinger

Major news for Tokyo 2020 in 2021:

1. 2017-20 code of points will be extended to 2021
2. Gymnasts born in 2005 are eligible for the Tokyo Olympics*
3. 2021 Worlds in late October will go on as planned
4. Baku World Cup qualification results will stand as the final results**

In case some don't follow gymnastics:
* Previously the youngest gymnasts eligible for 2020 were born in 2004; they're now expanding it to 2005 which includes gymnasts who were previously ineligible for Tokyo 2020
** Baku World Cup was an Olympic qualifier that was cancelled after the qualification round before the final; Azerbaijan passed a law that cancelled all major events in the country overnight in the middle of this competition

I'm personally fine with 1 and 3 but 2 and 4 are BS. If they're simply the 2020 Olympics being held in 2021, then the age eligibility rules should remain the same. Finalizing Baku's qualification scores is trash; gymnasts quite often only do "just enough" to qualify for the final in order to not bust their bodies. There were also several gymnasts who were scheduled to compete there but left the country once it become apparent the Trump flu was taking over and causing countries to shut down.

What are everyone's thoughts?
My thoughts are the same as yours. If Olympics are being postponed a year, why can't they redo World Cup qualifiers next year also and have them count? I haven't kept up that well, but is anyone able to determine which gymnasts are most affected by this? Who still had realistic Hope's of qualifying thru World Cup? The only person that comes to mind is Vanessa Ferrari, and I'm not sure that is correct.

Tokyo Bound?

This article was posted in the NY Times. Konnor's mom is not that thrilled that her daughter might qualify for Tokyo.

FiveRinger

The Silivas interview made me wonder ... what happened to Elena Shushonova after the Olympics? I know she passed away in 2018 but it's like no one from her cohort of gymnastics ever spoke to her again. Did she become a hermit?
I remember her competing in a professional event in the mid 90's and then she disappeared into the ether. Her death was a complete shock to me.

Last edited:

canbelto

I remember her competing in a professional event in the mid 90's and then she disappeared into the other. Her death was a complete shock to me.

Me too. She was so young when she passed away (in her 40s), and such a powerful gymnast. The Shushonova/Silivas showdown one of the all-time nailbiting finishes.

I love Shushonova's beam routine:

Carolla5501

Comments, opinions, and jokes are now considered trash talking because you don't agree with what was said? I see. I guess every FSU poster has been guilty (at some point) of "trash talking" then.

Also, why deprive yourselves of something you would enjoy, in this case, the TSL interview w/ Daniela Silivas. It sounds like DL is living rent-free in your head(s). I wouldn't give anyone that much power and especially if it's merely an interview we're talking about here – and not life or death, per se.

I say watch the interview for Daniela (she felt comfortable enough to participate), and then move on.

Because I don't enjoy racism? Because I don't enjoy trash talking?

Sorry I did ONE Dave show... basically he showed his true colors and they were ugly and racist.... no need to allow people like that to have attention IMHO.

No, luckily I would not know Dave if I saw him (which is probably good) And I assure you he's not 'living in my head' the only time I would even think of him is when I seen people on here promoting his trash But there's no way I would patronize anyone with his morals. (Of course I have also managed to avoid ever seeing 99.9% of the useless reality TV out there and don't find my life is too bad)

I am shocked however that people think "well it's OK to support" people like that. But that's what the world has come too...

I am also shocked that responsible adults would agree to be interviewed by that... I would not want to associate my name with his. I guess in this day and age even "bad publicity" counts however (see the Kardashians)

canbelto

When was he racist? I’ve seen him be bitchy and snide but not racist. I also think choice of YT videos is an odd place to virtue signal ...

VGThuy

He and that Beyer definitely trashed talked skaters who rivaled their faves leading to Pyeongchang. Some of the things they said were pretty petty and crossed the line. It was then that I decided I couldn't support them with views anymore. I unfollowed them on social media and stopped subscribing to their channel, and stopped reading/commenting on the dead TSL thread. I've done a pretty good job forgetting they exist.

It was only when I saw this post in this thread that usually never mentions them that I thought of TSL in a while outside of a few mentions of things skaters have said in interviews I've seen before I decided to no longer support them. Basically, I was only saying how I loved Silivas and that I'd love to watch it but I just can't watch Dave. That's all. Still haven't clicked on it, and I can live with not knowing what she said here. It's like how I was on P/C's fan thread a while back and there was an interview with Roman H. I was curious to hear Roman H.'s comments on ice dance but decided not to check out the TSL interview. No big deal.

When was he racist? I’ve seen him be bitchy and snide but not racist. I also think choice of YT videos is an odd place to virtue signal ...

He said some strange things about Starr Andrews and perpetuating some things with her. A friend of mine who watched them before she also decided to stop mentioned to me that there was also the case of him imitating Shoma Uno's voice in the most stereotypically Japanese voice imaginable and imitating Japanese broken English.

canbelto

I've followed TSL for ages and never felt they were racist. And I'm Asian and can pick up many subtle kinds of racism. I think that their interviews are fine. David Lease however acts like a tween uber about certain skaters, and it's kind of annoying. But I think calling them racist is crossing the line.

FiveRinger

I've heard Dave make pretty immature comments, but I don't watch on a regular basis. He is not a nice guy. As an African American woman, I can promise you that had I known of a history of xenophobic or racist comments, I would not have mentioned him.

VGThuy

I've followed TSL for ages and never felt they were racist. And I'm Asian and can pick up many subtle kinds of racism. I think that their interviews are fine. David Lease however acts like a tween uber about certain skaters, and it's kind of annoying. But I think calling them racist is crossing the line.

I’m Asian too and I felt he did. It depends on what your line is. If you disagree, it’s fine, but you can’t tell other people they didn’t see it or hear it when they did. I’ve also grown accustomed to people thinking calling certain things racist as being more offensive than the act that those others are calling racist, ignoring what people have said they heard and saw. I think saying something is “racist” isn’t the worst thing to say to someone because if anything it’ll at least start a conversation of why we see things differently and maybe make us rethink some of our attitudes. To be honest, I think we’re all capable of holding on to or perpetuating racist or other “ist” attitudes and we should always be encouraged to look within ourselves.

canbelto

I’m Asian too and I felt he did. It depends on what your line is. If you disagree, it’s fine, but you can’t tell other people they didn’t see it or hear it when they did. I’ve also grown accustomed to people thinking calling certain things racist as being more offensive than the act that those others are calling racist, ignoring what people have said they heard and saw. I think saying something is “racist” isn’t the worst thing to say to someone because if anything it’ll at least start a conversation of why we see things differently and maybe make us rethink some of our attitudes. To be honest, I think we’re all capable of holding on to or perpetuating racist or other “ist” attitudes and we should always be encouraged to look within ourselves.

Well the convo in this thread has turned into "if you watch them you are racist." I don't feel like it's that binary. It's like the time I was told that if I listened to Elvis Presley I was racist.

VGThuy

Well the convo in this thread has turned into "if you watch them you are racist." I don't feel like it's that binary. It's like the time I was told that if I listened to Elvis Presley I was racist.

Ah I got you. I didn’t take someone saying “I don’t enjoy racism” as a comment meaning those who still watch TSL are racists. Thanks for giving me your perspective.

canbelto

@VGThuy this is what one poster said:

Because I don't enjoy racism? Because I don't enjoy trash talking?

Sorry I did ONE Dave show... basically he showed his true colors and they were ugly and racist.... no need to allow people like that to have attention IMHO.

No, luckily I would not know Dave if I saw him (which is probably good) And I assure you he's not 'living in my head' the only time I would even think of him is when I seen people on here promoting his trash But there's no way I would patronize anyone with his morals. (Of course I have also managed to avoid ever seeing 99.9% of the useless reality TV out there and don't find my life is too bad)

I am shocked however that people think "well it's OK to support" people like that. But that's what the world has come too...

As I said I find a lot of Lease's videos very tween-like in their uber-ing of certain skaters and trashing of others. I also think the catty gossip is immature. I do however think their interviews are great and in-depth.

bardtoob

I don't like watching TLS because I don't like seeing Jonathan's mouth. I feel like if I watch too long Jonathan's lips are going wrap around my screen then swallow me whole . . . and he ruined my image of the Grand Prix of France by tweeting about crying on the floor of the men's toilet in the arena because Jason Brown and team were mean to him. Seriously, I would be more likely to cry about touching the floor of the men's toilet in a sports arena.

That and everything David says can be summed up with his literal signature move, which I think he learned from an FSU emoticon :drama: I think David does flirt with derogatory comments about women and minorities because he does not recognize his privilege.

Last edited:

Rob

Beach Bum
Oof, the 2005s are eligible? That squishes a long range training plan into a short horizon, yikes!

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
Back when Dave had a blog (Aunt Joyce's Ice Cream Stand?) he made straight up racist comments about the Williams Sisters. I believe Don Imus got into trouble for saying similar things about some female African American NCAA athletes.

Stephanie

Oof, the 2005s are eligible? That squishes a long range training plan into a short horizon, yikes!
I don't think this is the best way to look at it. They can still have 2024 as their ultimate goal, but if they manage to make it to 2021 Olympics, it would be a bonus. Even just going through the qualification process (nationally) will be an important learning experience.

altai_rose

Calling someone or something 'racist' can sometimes lead to that person getting fired from their job, even if their action was something that only a very small minority may find offensive. So, saying something is 'racist' is not benign and can lead to quite serious consequences.

VGThuy

Calling someone or something 'racist' can sometimes lead to that person getting fired from their job, even if their action was something that only a very small minority may find offensive. So, saying something is 'racist' is not benign and can lead to quite serious consequences.

Well, they said something didn’t they? If it was something the employer felt was damaging to the company upon review, that’s on them. Often times, a valued employee will be given the chance to make amends if he/she recognizes what they said was wrong. If they refuse to, that’s also on them. I also don’t think the stats show there’s a whole mass of people getting fired for “benign” comments. And even if they were, that’s a comment on at-will employment and how the US has little protections for employees. Most people can get fired for no reason at all.

Anyway, my point is that Racism is so pervasive in the fabric of our society and was part of the founding of this country that people should reflect upon the things they say and the attitudes they perpetuate when someone calls them out. I also disagree with some people’s knee jerk reaction by equating calling something racism is akin to the actual racism. It’s been a tactic used by so many as a deflection tool to move attention away from the wrongdoing. It also pains the person as if they are in the same boat as those they were minimizing through their comments. That’s also a tactic.

Last edited:

HeatherC

Searching for Sanity
If anyone is interested, NBC Sports is airing the gymnastic event finals from Rio from 2-4 PM EST this afternoon (they've already shown the women's vault and men's pommel horse). :)

FiveRinger

Those actions should lead to serious consequences. The people who make these awful remarks, thoughtful or not, expect all kinds of sympathy and want forgiveness when they get caught. The people subjected to these behaviors can't just walk away and get special treatment and no one feels sorry for them. I have no sympathy for people who make off color comments without thinking, whether they are ill intentioned or not. People need to stop making excuses and giving permission for people to show their racist tendencies. It's not okay.

Garden Kitty

Tranquillo
If anyone is interested, NBC Sports is airing the gymnastic event finals from Rio from 2-4 PM EST this afternoon (they've already shown the women's vault and men's pommel horse). :)

Watching the Atlanta ladies team final tonight. I've been loving these old broadcasts and seeing some familiar faces again. It's also interesting seeing the difference in routines between then and now.

Last edited:

Karina1974

Watching the Atlanta ladies team final tonight. I've been loving these old broadcasts and seeing some familiar faces again. It's also interesting seeing the difference in routines between then and now.

I could have done without hearing that hideous hatchet editing job on "Hooked on America" again. The drill team I used to perform with had a signature routine we did to the FULL version of that music. It hurts my ears to hear the edit job done by someone with no clue about musical continuity.

Garden Kitty

Tranquillo
It really amazes me how gymnasts can be doing these detailed high risk moves on one apparatus while floor music is blaring in the background for some other athlete and the crowd cheers at random intervals. I don't know how anyone stays on the balance beam or the uneven bars.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information