Gracie Gold set to return

Status
Not open for further replies.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
I don't think anybody could rock it at this point. It needs to be, if not banned, at least suspended for a few seasons. Why, Gracie??

At least it's something different *for her* - and very confident and sexy. I hope she pulls it off.

Actually...if anyone is gonna rehash this song.....its her I can see doing some justice to it......

aftershocks

Banned Member
^^ There's no question that Patrick deserved to win his 2011 World title. He had a chance to win in 2009, but flubbed it with a minor mistake on the ice, and major foot-in-mouth disease off the ice. I believe that Denis Ten deserved to win in 2013, and Dai Takahashi deserved to win a second crown in 2012. But then, the medal record stands as is for all time. Nothing to be done about it, except debate endlessly as figure skating fans. :D

If we look back in history, there are obviously a lot of controversial medal wins that can be debated.

Here (in obviously not the right thread) I spoke about Denis. And I wrote this apparently hours before or just the day before he was attacked. Denis' beautiful artistry and his kind soul will remain in my heart forever. Whenever I think of the great skaters who have graced this sport, Denis will be among those at the top of the list.

I wonder in what way Denis' passing is affecting all of the skaters, especially those who knew him well. I don't know how well Gracie knew him, but I think she did train with Denis for at least some years when he and she were both with Frank. I'm not sure on the timing. Hopefully, Denis' fighting spirit, his gorgeous skating, and his dedication to a sublime and passionate artistic vision will be inspiring for many skaters to overcome their challenges and to skate fully for themselves, regardless of the judges' limited and constricted decisions.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!

Japanfan

:huh: I don't think anyone should be comparing the Gracie of 2016 to the medalists of the 2018 Olympics or 2018 Worlds. We have zero, zero, insight as to where this young woman is in terms of her return to form athletically, or how she has learned to cope with the psychological and physical demands of the sport.

This.

Japanfan

Say whaaat??? :duh: Canada happens to be one of the top federations in the world in terms of political clout, very much more-so than the U.S.

I am a Canadian and we have been heartbroken with many decisions on our skaters over the years. I am sure as a skating fan you remember the "scandal" that saw Sale & Pelletier robbed of an Olympic Gold (at first) in one of the worst decisions in skating history, which was so bad the IOC was forced to award them a 2nd gold out of sheer embarassment.

I don't think you can really say "robbed at first" based on how the pairs skated. Although I strongly felt that S&P deserved the win, I recognize that it was a really close call and could have gone either way with fair judging (if possible). The competition was debated endlessly at the time, and it was really 50-50 as to which team was the "more deserving" of gold. It was similar to Tara versus Michelle in '98 - really could have gone either way.

It turned out they were robbed because a judge had been corrupted and was biased, but that was rectified. Giving the second gold was the best solution.

Stojko has been the victim of controversial judging many times over, most notably his Olympic loss to Urmanov in 94.

That result was not really controversial. Both skaters had similar technical content and made one mistake. It came down to the artistic mark, and it is not surprising that the judges preferred Urmanov 6-3. Stojko's style was unorthodox and he didn't have the best line when he jumped because he always hunched his back. His success was largely based on his technical abilities and strong consistency. I was a huge fan and did feel the judges were biased against him, but skating judging does have a subjective component.

Stojko's Bruce Lee program did become iconic and Stojko did win three world golds, two world silvers, and one world bronze, and a host of other medals. He also finished fourth at Worlds twice.

Arguably, he would not have had that success without the backing of a strong federation.

Virtue & Moir and their losing streak to Davis & White had many people scratching their heads in disbelief at times too, and wondering what exactly was going on.

V/M and D/W were neck-to-neck in terms of both skill and performance ability, and dominated the field for quite some time. I don't recall scratching my head when either one pair or the other won, although I always favored V/M. This is not to say that politics were not at play. IMO, they most definitely were. But not only the politics of the Canadian Fed - the American Fed was also involved. The two were seen as equal for the most part. Each got one Olympic gold, which IMO was the plan for quite some time. Without counting all the actual medals, I'd venture a guess that they would divide up quite equally for the two pairs.

And Bourne & Kraatz, while I am not a fan, were infamously pushed off the podium by the whole "bloc judging" scanadal at the Nagano Olympics which Tracy Wilson outlined on CBS's coverage.

Dance was subject to bloc judging/pre-judging for a very long time and the Russians were always favored. Bourne and Kraatz were not the only ice dancers to be disadvantaged by that. And ice dancers from other countries, not only Canada, were also disadvantaged.

Of course, some might argue that the Russians were in fact the best ice dancers for many years and deserved to dominate. To debate that effectively would require making a case that certain programs skated by non-Russians were underscored.

Canadians are famous for our honesty and humbleness, and it comes back to bite us since our own officials dont know how to politic or lie and scheme for their skaters. It is too "Un-Canadian". Skate Canada is full of intelligent and wonderful people who know how to succeed but as far as politicking and making deals, just wont happen, they like all Canadians know to be Canadian is to stay humble, gentle, kind, modest, and fair. Even while the Russians, French, Americans, and many others are aggressively campaigning for their own, trading favors, and making deals.

I don't agree with this. The "honesty and humbleness" is a bit of a myth IMO.

And Skate Canada is a powerful federation and can politic with the best of them. IMO.

aftershocks said:
I don't see "screwed over" and Virtue/Moir belonging in the same sentence.

No, they will be remembered as "the most decorated ice dancers" ever - though it is a bit misleading, given that they had the benefit of winning team medals, which past dancers did not.

RoseRed

No, they will be remembered as "the most decorated ice dancers" ever - though it is a bit misleading, given that they had the benefit of winning team medals, which past dancers did not.
This thread is way off topic, but if we're talking Olympics, the team medals only help them to be the most decorated figure skaters of all time. Ice dance they win without the team medals. Individually, they have two golds and a silver. G/P are the only other team with two golds (but they don't have a 3rd medal) and K/P are the only others with 3 medals (gold, silver and bronze).

----
Back on topic, if Gracie's music is that, well I can't really imagine her skating to it, but I'm looking forward to seeing what it looks like.

Japanfan

Legs were being pulled @Japanfan. There's no use in getting worked up over it. Did you read the other posts pertaining to this poster?

I'm fully aware that some people have issues with Aftershocks. I've been active on the board for a very long time. However, I find some of her (I think 'she'?) posts interesting and well-thought out, albeit long. She may belabor some of her points (i.e. posts on quads). However, she does bold/highlight various points for those who just want a synopsis. :)

aftershocks

Banned Member
I'm fully aware that some people have issues with Aftershocks. I've been active on the board for a very long time. However, I find some of her (I think 'she'?) posts interesting and well-thought out, albeit long. She may belabor some of her points (i.e. posts on quads). However, she does bold/highlight various points for those who just want a synopsis. :)

I'm not talking about me (aftershocks) :lol: Nevermind, if you don't get it. Take care @Japanfan.

Alilou

Ubercavorter
Oh @Japanfan you lost the plot somewhere along the way. It was @savchenkoboss that was pulling legs but you took them seriously. Go back and read their posts with the idea that they are stirring the pot to see who'll bite. ;)

Japanfan

I'm not talking about me (aftershocks) :lol: Nevermind, if you don't get it. Take care @Japanfan.

My mistake, sorry.

Oh @Japanfan you lost the plot somewhere along the way. It was @savchenkoboss that was pulling legs but you took them seriously. Go back and read their posts with the idea that they are stirring the pot to see who'll bite. ;)

:duh::duh:

Lost the plot indeed. Too much distress on my rather muddied mind at the moment. :wuzrobbed:wuzrobbed
So I'll just :slinkaway before I get in any more trouble.

Yazmeen

All we are saying, is give peace a chance
The last program I ever skated to in my (very, very, low level) freestyle days was Nina's "Spell," and I still have the stock dress decorated with the spider web made of crystals that a friend of mine did for me. It was a Halloween-themed exhibition. Loved that song, loved that program.

million$momma

Lisa McKinnon has an 'I put a spell on you'.... dress on her Lisa McKinnon Designs Inc Facebook page. Maybe it's Gracie's!

savchenkoboss

Banned Member
That result was not really controversial. Both skaters had similar technical content and made one mistake. It came down to the artistic mark, and it is not surprising that the judges preferred Urmanov 6-3. Stojko's style was unorthodox and he didn't have the best line when he jumped because he always hunched his back. His success was largely based on his technical abilities and strong consistency. I was a huge fan and did feel the judges were biased against him, but skating judging does have a subjective component.

Stojko's Bruce Lee program did become iconic and Stojko did win three world golds, two world silvers, and one world bronze, and a host of other medals. He also finished fourth at Worlds twice.

Arguably, he would not have had that success without the backing of a strong federation.

Regarding Lillehammer, I can see your point if they were equal technically but they were not equally technically in the free skate. Urmanov didnt have a triple-triple, Stojko had one of the most difficult- triple axel-triple toe. Urmanov also badly stumbled out of his triple flip which Stojko did beautifully, I would say that is worth more than an extra triple toe at the end. Urmanov also had terrible spins, a major technical element, which Stojko had very good ones. Even Debbie Wilkes said Urmanov's technical marks were much too high.

And even if Urmanov should have had the higher artistic marks, Stojko's were too low, only 4 5.8s and as low as 5.5 and 5.6. Much too low.

And there are many other times people were saying Stojko was undermarked since the judges werent accepting his style of skating and artistry.

Willin

Lisa McKinnon has an 'I put a spell on you'.... dress on her Lisa McKinnon Designs Inc Facebook page. Maybe it's Gracie's!
It's a solo ice dance dress.

It is pretty though! I wish it (or something similar) was her's. It would be a departure from the usual princess stuff as much as the yet-to-be-confirmed music choice.

GullyGirl84

*For What It's Worth*....Gracie is discussed about 34 minutes in to the latest video from The Skating Lesson, and they claim that Jeremy Abbott worked on both her short and long programs for this season.

Allskate

*For What It's Worth*....Gracie is discussed about 34 minutes in to the latest video from The Skating Lesson, and they claim that Jeremy Abbott woerrked on both her short and long programs for this season.

That is intriguing. Personally, I'd be interested in seeing what Gracie would do with "I Put a Spell on You." ti would be great to watch her explore different styles of music and movement that interest her.

BittyBug

Disgusted
V&M are the most decorated ice dance team of the modern era, but ice dance was only added as an Olympic sport in 1976. Leading up to that, Pakhomova and Gorshkov were 6-time World Champions and they were the inaugural Olympic ice dance champions, after which they retired from eligible competition. That's 7 championship gold medals of the highest level. Virtue and Moir have 2 Olympic championships plus 1 team gold and 3 World championships, for 6 top-level championships (and I'm not sure I'd count the team medal since that wasn't awarded based on dance alone but rather the strength of Canada across all four disciplines).

Japanfan

Regarding Lillehammer, I can see your point if they were equal technically but they were not equally technically in the free skate. Urmanov didnt have a triple-triple, Stojko had one of the most difficult- triple axel-triple toe.
Urmanov also badly stumbled out of his triple flip which Stojko did beautifully, I would say that is worth more than an extra triple toe at the end.

Urmanov had a 3S 3T combo. (at 4:39 here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGGBQbCBoW0). And two 3A, one in combination with a double. Elvis singled one of his 3A, which is a bigger mistake than a stumble. However, that didn't make as much as a difference under 6.0 as it does under CoP.

Urmanov also had terrible spins, a major technical element, which Stojko had very good ones. Even Debbie Wilkes said Urmanov's technical marks were much too high.

I wouldn't say "terrible" but agree that Stojko's were better. His nimble footwork and spins never got the recognition they deserved.

And even if Urmanov should have had the higher artistic marks, Stojko's were too low, only 4 5.8s and as low as 5.5 and 5.6. Much too low.

And there are many other times people were saying Stojko was undermarked since the judges werent accepting his style of skating and artistry.

I was always one of Elvis's staunchest defenders, and his Bruce Lee program is one of my all-time favorites. He was often undermarked IMO, and had to fight for every win. But even though his 'masculine' (his words) style was not appreciated, he also limited himself artistically IMO.

I also loved Urmanov's free and Candeloro's Godfather at the 94 Olympics. It is my favorite men's comp of all time, and the event that turned me into a serious fan.

I do agree with Urmanov's win, although it could just as easily have gone to Elvis had the judges been more appreciative of his style and the brilliance of the program.

The only word that comes to mind for Urmanov's performance is radiant, or glowing.

As Scott Hamilton said, it came down to "lyrical versus athletic". Lyrical won the day. Stojko did go on to win 94 Worlds, so there was a bit of redemption there.

I felt much worse for Stojko at the '98 Olympics, when he skated injured and couldn't land the quad. Even with the quad, he really didn't stand a chance against Kulik. The cards were stacked against him, and it wasn't fair. But Elvis skated like a true champion in any case. It was evident that he was in pain throughout the whole program, and I will never forget him limping to the podium in his running shoes.

Last edited:

concorde

Going back to the original topic, Gracie.

I heard that her she looks great (appearance wise)!

But her skating is not close to where she was at her prime. Given what they have seen with her skating, they expect her to withdraw. Based on that, I think most posters here need to greatly lower their expectations for her this season.

WillyElliot

Tanning one day, then wearing a winter coat today.
If she withdraws, has she used up her chance to come back for next season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information