Gracie Gold set to return

Status
Not open for further replies.

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
Going back to the original topic, Gracie.

I heard that her she looks great (appearance wise)!

But her skating is not close to where she was at her prime. Given what they have seen with her skating, they expect her to withdraw. Based on that, I think most posters here need to greatly lower their expectations for her this season.

Right after this, they go on to talk about Karen not being ready either. After a while I always have to turn them off because its just depressing and/or not true. TSL is so tiresome.

meggonzo

Banned Member
Going back to the original topic, Gracie.

I heard that her she looks great (appearance wise)!

But her skating is not close to where she was at her prime. Given what they have seen with her skating, they expect her to withdraw. Based on that, I think most posters here need to greatly lower their expectations for her this season.
Well a lot can still happen between now and November so it's still early to expect her to withdraw.

If she withdraws, has she used up her chance to come back for next season?
She can always compete at Regionals, but those competitions are usually in October and CoR is in November.

I don't know if she'd be able to get a GP spot again as a comeback skater in future seasons.

concorde

Right after this, they go on to talk about Karen not being ready either. After a while I always have to turn them off because its just depressing and/or not true. TSL is so tiresome.

What I wrote is based on people that have seen her. It has nothing to do with TSL.

Last edited:

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
By the last announcement's rules, the only way she qualified for anything except a Skate America's host spot was by using the one-time comeback option. However, there were no previous rules by which Li/Xie were entitled to any spot except a Cup of China host spot in the initial selection, and they got a co-host spot, and this year's announcement isn't out yet.

happycamper2554

Is any skater really ready to skate a grand prix in July? I think we should have lower expectations for Gracie because it's unfair to hold her to her previous standard. but I think and hope she will compete. But for better or worse I think she will absolutely be in Russia.

Carolla5501

The best thing to do is never turn the trash on!

And of course we should all listen to "someone who knows someone who saw her skating" as a reliable source LOL! Seriously? If you are a friend you keep your fingers off the keyboard and if you aren't it's just gossip

concorde

The best thing to do is never turn the trash on!

And of course we should all listen to "someone who knows someone who saw her skating" as a reliable source LOL! Seriously? If you are a friend you keep your fingers off the keyboard and if you aren't it's just gossip

Personally I think it is better to set your expectation low and be surprised rather than set high expectations and get disappointed. Lots of posters here are setting up Gracie for the latter whereas I was pointing out the former. To each their own.

The invitation has to do with the GP assignment. She only gets a bye if she skates at the GP assignment otherwise she has to go the Regionals/Sectionals/ Nationals route.

Last edited:

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
If she plans to use her invite to COR, can she use regionals as a warm up?

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
Personally I think it is better to set your expectation low and be surprised rather than set high expectations and get disappointed. Lots of posters here are setting up Gracie for the latter whereas I was pointing out the former. To each their own.

The invitation has to do with the GP assignment. She only gets a bye if she skates at the GP assignment otherwise she has to go the Regionals/Sectionals/ Nationals route.

Yup. Im not expectng Gracie to have 3/3s and 5 more triples by November, just like I didnt expect Polina to have them last year either. (BTW is she completely done?)

Ill be pleased just seeing Gracie have maybe 3 triples and the rest doubles by November. Not expecting medals just an appropriate response time for what she's been through.

If all goes well I would think next season is when she is more full throttle.

concorde

Rumor has it that Gracie will be competing at Philly. Not sure if is in the domestic or international portion.

Tavi

Rumor has it that Gracie will be competing at Philly. Not sure if is in the domestic or international portion.

That was reported earlier in Gracie’s fan thread in Trash Can, but later, another poster (Coco) said that someone recently reported Gracie is still only doing doubles right now, and that she’s just at the rink bc that’s where she trains. So at this point, it’s not at all clear she’ll be competing this week - though I’d be thrilled to see her back.

ETA Tinami Amori, that photo is recent, but it was taken when she was in Minnesota doing a seminar, not in Philly.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Gracie and John Coughlin joined forces to coach at another training camp last week ... this time in Blaine, Minnesota, July 25-27 -- here's a write up on the rink's website: https://www.nscsports.org/news_article/show/937194
Gracie's quote at the end reads:
“Usually a lot of people retire and it’s their final nationals, or final world championships … mine just abruptly ended in a whirlwind” Gold said. “I just couldn’t leave skating on that note, so as far as new competitions and new amazing things, I definitely have those ambitions. It’s a work in progress.”
The link quoted above goes to John Coughlin's Instagram (he posted 9 photos from the MN camp with him and Gracie plus a short video clip of the skaters performing a group number to "This is Me").

ETA: Gracie is not listed in the group of 6 U.S. ladies scheduled to compete in the international portion of the Philly competition later this week (refer to my latest post in the U.S. Ladies thread).

Last edited:

concorde

If Gracie were to compete at Phily (which is her home rink), then I would expect it to be in the domestic portion.

Working on doubles is what I had heard too and that was why I posted what I did earlier. I wanted people to lower their expectations associated with her retirn.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling

Sylvia

TBD
@Loves_Shizuka posted this link in the U.S. Ladies thread:
Gracie Gold interview

It's over an hour long; some good updates from Gracie.
I looked up NO BULL BIZ - their FB page says: "Do you want to know what it really takes to make it in BIZness? NO BULL BIZ (NBB) is a group of entrepreneurs willing to share all the Cold Hard Facts!" The No Bull Biz Show launched on YT on Friday, August 10, 2018.

ETA: Gracie met her interviewer when she coached his daughter in Scottsdale, Arizona and they forged a personal bond there.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Initial reactions to her interview (Gracie starts talking about the onset of her depression at the 28-minute mark):
Holy smokes this interview. My heart broke into a million pieces for Gracie. So glad she's here and still with us.
I found it so shocking that it apparently took Gracie talking to another member of team USA at Champs Camp, and then that person "springing in to action", for the fed to realize that Gracie needed help. Is the fed blind?

Debbie S

It sounds like it was another skater, in her cooking class group, who Gracie opened up to and suggested she get help. Kudos to that other skater!

As for the fed being blind, who knows. The signs were there starting in the fall of 2016. One would think USFS would step in to help one of their biggest stars and Oly medal hopes. OTOH, USFS probably figured that Gracie's coach and family were in a better position to identify problems and get her help. (But given Sinitsina's interview comments about Marina and diet/weight, it doesn't sound like Marina was the ideal coach to address Gracie's mental health issues.)

I'm glad Gracie is in a happier place now and I hope she enjoys this competitive season.

3Lz+3Lo

Well done to Gracie for being so honest about all this. It can’t have been easy for her to give such a personal interview but hopefully it will help some people.
I’m excited to see her skate at rostelecom and wish her all the best for this season!

Z

ZilphaK

Just SO so impressed always that Gracie started at 8yo and was landing all triples through 3Lz by 13 years old. What a phenom!

Carolla5501

It sounds like it was another skater, in her cooking class group, who Gracie opened up to and suggested she get help. Kudos to that other skater!

As for the fed being blind, who knows. The signs were there starting in the fall of 2016. One would think USFS would step in to help one of their biggest stars and Oly medal hopes. OTOH, USFS probably figured that Gracie's coach and family were in a better position to identify problems and get her help. (But given Sinitsina's interview comments about Marina and diet/weight, it doesn't sound like Marina was the ideal coach to address Gracie's mental health issues.)

I'm glad Gracie is in a happier place now and I hope she enjoys this competitive season.

Yes, they are blind. They see what they want to see. They sent Gracie to Frank not because he was the best coach for her, but because they "think" he's the best coach for anyone.

It's been reliably reported by too many skaters that people who work with and for USFS have made too many comments about skaters weight etc... for me to believe that they are even remotely concerned about things like mental health, they are concerned about Gold Medals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information