German Skating News - Part 3

sus2850

I am ensure if it's comlpletely fair for the others but maybe you can see it as some kind of reward/bonus for a good season.
Either way, having a GP puts pressure on your challenegr schedule. I am curious to see if Schott skates Minsk as scheduled the week after CoR.

Limits must be achieved in challengers or does every random serious b-competitions for that? :p

As I stated above: 3 challengers, GP and nationals count for ranking, best of three are used. You can do other competitions like Nice but it does not count towards getting the norm and also not for ranking. Norm has to be met by Dec 10. So some skaters have 3 chances to get the norm (challengers), others who have GP assignements like Nicole or Kavita/Joti have an additional chance

Last edited:

sandra_persch

Looks like Germany has switched the mens JGP entries around again.
Denis Gurdhz is not listed for JGP POL and Kai Jagoda for JGP ITA.

Seeing this is the 3rd time Jagodas JGP was moved backward and that his scores weren't that good at Zwinger Pokal I am starting to wonder if he is just not as good in shape or if he was injured earlier in the summer.

figureskatingforlife

My take on Nebelhorn so far:

L/P: really liked their SD. I think it's the best SD from all German teams. 61 is a good score for the beginning of the season and they can build on that. I also liked the music... to me it made all sense. The movements were great and they had lots of speed. I heard that Kavita is on antibiotics because she got sick at the beginning of this week. If that's the case than all kudos to her. She did kinda look out of breath at the end but good for her still showing such a good performance.

Weinzierl: this might be my fave program of hers. I think it's very mature and I like that she's showing some lines. Good score despite fall too! She really surprised me.

H/B: this girl is shining and I think pairs is the right category for her. The SP not my fave but the Free - Wow!! She was just shining through out this whole performance and this FP was really impressive - they set a statement for sure.

S/M: Their SP is def a hard program and it will need a lot of polish through out the season but I can't really say I'm loving it ... :/ I don't know. When I saw their SP from last season for the first time it was a unique program and I loved seeing her personality. This program looks very technical to me... I hope it can grow on me throughout the season.
The FP I definetly like and it's again a hard program too. It is a winning program but I wish it would be as magical as last seasons FP. I love their lifts... best in this world, no doubt.

text_skate

My take on Nebelhorn so far:

L/P: really liked their SD. I think it's the best SD from all German teams. 61 is a good score for the beginning of the season and they can build on that. I also liked the music... to me it made all sense. The movements were great and they had lots of speed. I heard that Kavita is on antibiotics because she got sick at the beginning of this week. If that's the case than all kudos to her. She did kinda look out of breath at the end but good for her still showing such a good performance.

Weinzierl: this might be my fave program of hers. I think it's very mature and I like that she's showing some lines. Good score despite fall too! She really surprised me.

H/B: this girl is shining and I think pairs is the right category for her. The SP not my fave but the Free - Wow!! She was just shining through out this whole performance and this FP was really impressive - they set a statement for sure.

S/M: Their SP is def a hard program and it will need a lot of polish through out the season but I can't really say I'm loving it ... :/ I don't know. When I saw their SP from last season for the first time it was a unique program and I loved seeing her personality. This program looks very technical to me... I hope it can grow on me throughout the season.
The FP I definetly like and it's again a hard program too. It is a winning program but I wish it would be as magical as last seasons FP. I love their lifts... best in this world, no doubt.

I agree with you regarding L/P, Weinzierl and H/B. On the other hand I like S/M SP very much. I think SP and LP are both programs that don't forgive mistakes. They will shine imo when delivered without falls. I like the concept of the LP, some of the moves are extraodinary. Yet today, the program didn't convince me.

J

Jeschke

JGP CRO recap:
Dastich with a good 6th place finish (6/34). She improved her junior SB to 146,55pts. It's good to see, that her tech elements seem to be on a solid constant level :respec:

Schwendinger/Wunderlich finished on a 'bad' 8th place (8/14) with 109,50pts.
SD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xX5KAO0_nBQ
FD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pB7Zjmyqw_4

I like that Wunderlich looks more mature in his skating and looks now. Still I always have this impression he looks kinda outta shape :shuffle: But maybe it's just his body proportions.
Schwendinger's presentation I totally disliked in the SD, which was almost non existent the first minute. Very laboured and concentrated. The 'trashy' FD I don't like at all.
Both and their coach seemed pretty surprised as the bad scores came up.

If (and I put a big if on it), the report of the german test skates are totally true and they somehow mentioned that their goal is to make the JGPF I do suggest we need to find a mental coach asap to speak with them and their team about realistic aiming. As, according only to the numbers, the chances of not being selected for the german junior worlds team and being overrun by another couple are way more likely than even getting somehow on JGPF subsitutes list :shuffle:
But as I said: I put a big 'if' on that they actually said that.

Xela M

This is not a laughing matter people! It's really shocking Germany wouldn't give him citizenship. How utterly stupid

J

Jeschke

This is not a laughing matter people! It's really shocking Germany wouldn't give him citizenship. How utterly stupid
It is not stupid if he would fail the test 4 times for god's sake!

Other 'normal' people have to pass it too. It is part of his job. IIRC german fed paid a great amount (even if they paid back) to get him released. So besides being a great partner for Aliona, this is his job now too. If he wants to compete there.
Savchenko, Caruso, Zhiganishina, Blommaert, all had to pass it. The restrictions might became harder with the current situation in the world, but hell, that's part of the game. If he wants to represent Germany and wants that OGM for Germany, sit down, learn, take lessons, and get it together!
It's not like there is so much to do in Oberstdorf besides practice either way :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Xela M

It is not stupid if he would fail the test 4 times for god's sake!

Other 'normal' people have to pass it too. It is part of his job. IIRC german fed paid a great amount (even if they paid back) to get him released. So besides being a great partner for Aliona, this is his job now too. If he wants to compete there.
Savchenko, Caruso, Zhiganishina, Blommaert, all had to pass it. The restrictions might became harder with the current situation in the world, but hell, that's part of the game. If he wants to represent Germany and wants that OGM for Germany, sit down, learn, take lessons, and get it together!
It's not like there is so much to do in Oberstdorf besides practice either way :D

I think it's stupid that a real OGM-prospect doesn't get priority over 'normal' people when it comes to citizenship

S

SmallFairy

I know, but it's just so unthinkable that after all they've been through, Aljona's dream might be shattered by some language test. I can't do nothing than laugh, because what I really want to do is cry. Black humor, or what it's called.

J

Jeschke

I think it's stupid that a real OGM-prospect doesn't get priority over 'normal' people when it comes to citizenship
I can't imagine he does/did not get some special treatment.
But even if not, I think this should not matter at all. But that's my personal opinion.

Xela M

But even if not, I think this should not matter at all. But that's my personal opinion.

Well, it's stupid :p

It's not an athlete's job to be an academic. One can be a superstar athlete and be illiterate (not that I'm saying Bruno is, but still). That's not part of the job

loulou

Let It Snow
So long as pairs and couples aren't allowed to represent two countries, they have to unite under one flag.
And the spirit of it, I think, is that they do longer than a few passing months.

Little consideration for the general population.
Many "normal" people, as you'd call them, have jobs, work hard, they would like to acquire citizenship often enough just to live a decent life, or to be able to rejoin broken families.

I imagine how they must feel, knowing that Massot probably gets special treatment, and in the view of some he should even be prioritazied over general fellows.

I know, but it's just so unthinkable that after all they've been through, Aljona's dream might be shattered by some language test.

So many dreams, so many compelling needs are shuttered all the time.
Can we all agree that Savchenko and Massot both have had lovely lives, rare opportunities, and natural gifts?
Do they absolutely need more?

Well, it's stupid :p
It's not an athlete's job to be an academic. That's not part of the job

Yes, academics should be required only to lettuce growers and crap cleaners, because it's clearly part of their jobs.

I understand and I think I agree.
Why one flag? That's a different matter.
But as long as one flag it is, they should belong to it.
(BTW, how fast will Massot go back to France, with a German passport in his pocket, afer they retire?).

Good German lessons at his convinience, which he probably gets, is already more than standard.
And I think it doesn't stop there.

That said: they are my favourite couple and I wish for myself to enjoy their success.
On the other hand, fair breaks lack, and surely is a big part of the reason why skaters have to go look for partners under different flags.

Last edited:

Xela M

So long as pairs and couples aren't allowed to represent two countries, they have to unite under one flag.
And the spirit of it, I think, is that they do longer than a few passing months.

Little consideration for the general population.
Many "normal" people, as you'd call them, have jobs, work hard, they would like to acquire citizenship often enough just to live a decent life, or to be able to rejoin broken families.

I imagine how they mus feel, knowing that Massot probably gets special treatment, and in the view of some he should even be prioritazied over general fellows.

So many dreams, so many compelling needs are shuttered all the time.
Can we all agree that Savchenko had Massot both have had lovely lives, rare opportunities, and natural gifts?
Do they absolutely need more?

Yes, academics should be required only to lettuce grower and crap cleaners, because it's clearly part of their jobs.

I understand and I think I agree.
Why one flag? That's a different matter.
But as long as one flag it is, they should belong to it.
(BTW, how fast will Massot go back to France, with a German passport in his pocket, afer they retire?).

Good German lessons at his convinience, which he probably gets, is already more than standard.
And I think it doesn't stop there.

That said: they are my favourite couple and I wish for myself to enjoy their success.
On the other hand, fair breaks lack, and surely is a big part of the reason why skaters have to go look for partners under different flags.

A lot of bitterness in your post there. Let's not forget the nurses and soldiers! And let's remember how much athletes earn because life is so unfair! :violin: Funnily enough I'm from a family of immigrants who acquired German citizenship. Yes, life is hard on most people, but then most people can't win Olympic Gold medals

loulou

Let It Snow
A lot of bitterness in your post there.

And no arguments made in yours, do you have any?

Let's not forget the nurses and soldiers!

We really shouldn't.
There's an entire political movement behind veterans in USA, so much they're exploited, and so little they are cared for after having sacrificed more than it's fair.
Nurses have no holidays, long odd hours, a lot of crap, quite literally, and not nearly the respect or the pay they deserve. For instance, it's clear how poorly you value them.

And let's remember how much athletes earn because life is so unfair! :violin:

Life is infact unfair.
There are countless unrefuted researches on the matter.
Apparently, social dumping has become the most lucrative business on the planet, surpassing drugs.
You and your violine endorse the trend (I suspect you won't explain why), and contribute to having an increasingly small pool of athletes and coaches, and hence increasing difficulty to find partners.

Funnily enough I'm from a family of immigrants who acquired German citizenship.

So your family didn't get the same treatment you wish upon others, uh?

But all that is besides the point of whether or not Massot should have a German passport without German.

Last edited:

Dolore

I'm surprised Bruno is struggling so much. He speaks English very well so it's not like learning languages is a particular weakness of his and these German language tests aren't considered to be that difficult either.
I read in an interview that Bruno goes to class 3 hours a week. I suspect that is the real problem. Granted, as an athlete he won't have much free time, but 3 hours a week aren't enough to learn a language.

I really want to see them at the Olympics but I don't think he should get German citizenship without passing the test. Let's be real here, he isn't doing Germany a favor by winning medals because nobody in Germany cares about figure skating. :( Even if they win gold it would be forgotten a day later. They have no reason to give him any more special treatment than he most likely already receives. In football or biathlon he probably wouldn't even have to take a test but skating is unfortunately an after thought at best.

sus2850

I just want to add: Have you heard Bruno talk in German?
He can do that, even without accent.
I am all for language tests but the test nowadays is incredibly hard. When Aljona became German there was no test, they were introduced in 2008.
Additionally each German state sets their own tests and Bavaria is very tough on immigration, they are known to have the strictest one.
So a skater like Stefano Caruso was probably lucky he could do the citizenship process in Berlin.
The only thing to make it fair would be to make those tests the same over all states. But that will never happen.
Anyway: It is a lot of pressure on him and I hope he can handle it.

nimi

^ Also, learning and speaking a language well and performing well in language tests are two quite different things. I've always been good at passing written language tests and exams with good grades even when my oral/communicative skills are close to non-existent (i.e. I don't really "speak the language"), so I can imagine there being people for whom it's the exact opposite. Especially if they don't have the experience of sitting through countless tests, exams and mock-exams during 10+ years in school/uni and being familiar with the sort of intentionally confusing & misleading questions and answer options the written tests can have...

Quadjump

The whole Bruno citizenship issue really annoys me. We just have to wait and wait. Aljona and the Olympics has never been a simple story.

2002 - Who is Aljona Savchenko?
2006 - No accreditation for Steuer from the German Fed because of his personal past in the former GDR
2010 - FP change in November 2009 and comeback of the S/Z. Missed the Gold because of own mistakes.
2014 - Overscoring of V/T the whole season, SP change four weeks before the OS.
2018 - Bruno´s Citizenship issues. I am sure there will be more problems when the season becomes older.

S

SmallFairy

2001 Aljona Savchenko takes my breath away at Euros in the SP, skating to Spartacus with partner Stanislav Morozov, for Ukraine. (Whom she won junior worlds 2000 with)

2002 Aljona competes in the Olympics with Stanislav, placing 15th.

;)

(And don't forget Stanislav skated in the Olympics 2006 and 2010 with Volosozhar, the "over scored Russians of 2014". )

J

Jeschke

Additionally each German state sets their own tests and Bavaria is very tough on immigration, they are known to have the strictest one.
So a skater like Stefano Caruso was probably lucky he could do the citizenship process in Berlin.
And others, like Nelli Zhiganshina, had to do it in Bavaria after 2008, or am I wrong?
So it is doable!

Either way: fingers crossed for the worst case not to happen!

lizafan

According to this article, Bruno failed the written exam twice and has 2 chances left :watch:
http://www.sport.de/news/ne2917270/nordkoreas-paarlaeufer-fast-am-olympia-ziel/

This is possibly not new information but just repeating what was written before (or how they got it).
It is as I said before, the test consists of four segments (maybe they want to say he failed two of them) but each segment can be repeated as often as required.

Time is running out, however, that's true.

Blommaert, stand by ;)

You mean, for giving hints how to pass the exam .. ? ;)

lizafan

I agree with you regarding L/P, Weinzierl and H/B. On the other hand I like S/M SP very much. I think SP and LP are both programs that don't forgive mistakes. They will shine imo when delivered without falls. I like the concept of the LP, some of the moves are extraodinary. Yet today, the program didn't convince me.

September programs, as someone said here. :)
But I'm pretty sure not later than January they will convince everyone and the judges. Let's just hope that they go through the season without injuries and that Bruno does the f.ing test.

(By the way, I think they convinced the judges already with their programs. Look at their PCS .. they're (as well as T/M's) closer to the maximum value than to the rest of the competition.)

lizafan

JGP CRO recap:
As, according only to the numbers, the chances of not being selected for the german junior worlds team and being overrun by another couple are way more likely than even getting somehow on JGPF subsitutes list :shuffle:

And who should this other German junior dance couple be .. ?

J

Jeschke

And who should this other German junior dance couple be .. ?
Matthaei/Pfisterer scored 102,28pts at JGP LAT.
This is only 7pts less than S/W last weekend at JGP CRO.

I do think, that S/W are the best german junior team and am very sure they are the ones, we will see at junior worlds. My statement, which was partly quoted by you, referred to the goal of making the JGPF. That's why I came up with the 2nd team to show, that the distance of losing the spot (about 7pts) is right now more likely than getting to JGPF (missing about 40pts).

Marta24

Schwendinger/Wunderlich were 10th at Junior Worlds, considering that 5 teams, who were above them were about to move up to Seniors, they maybe thought they had a chance to make the JGPF this year. I think they didn`t consider the depth of Russian ice dance and new teams emerging who are stronger than them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information