German Skating News - 2023 / 2024 Season

text_skate

Pre-comp reporting

Süddeutsche, dpa article: Paarläufer Hase/Wolodin greifen nach EM-Gold
excerpts re. funding:
DEU sports director Claudia Pfeifer thinks that the success of the two Berlin couples with a view to the 2026 Winter Olympics in Milan and Cortina d'Ampezzo is again promising in the race. In order to target Olympic medals, money is needed in this costly sport that is missing. Halving the federal funding after the 2021 Olympic debacle in Beijing without top ten places ensured low tide in the association fund and need among figure skaters.
With a follow-up approval of 250,000 euros by the federal government, something could be helped out of the bredouille for them and other runners. "The level of frustration was high on the association side and among the athletes," said Pfeifer, emphasizing: "The surcharge does not help in the long term, but only until spring."
The example of the DEU shows how vulnerable the potential analysis (PotAS) and its data are, on the basis of which the financial support is decided. "The system is for the sport figure skating not fitting, "criticized sports director Pfeifer. This means that one cannot make a" valid statement about the athlete potential "of an association.

This applies particularly to the new dream couple Hase and their Russian partner Wolodin. After just one year of training together, the two 24-year-olds are the current number one in the pair skating world. "We specifically targeted the newcomers and drew attention to their potential," said Pfeifer.

At the beginning there was only one video and no results and therefore no positive funding notice for the duo. "We delivered and demonstrated that our potential analysis was correct," emphasized the DEU sports manager.

Interview with Hase on web.de, also on Nikita learning languages (English and German)
Hase about European Championships: "We want to be on the podium"

article mainly about Hocke/Kunkel in FAZ:
"I could no longer put my own socks on"

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
Holy crap, seeing close-ups of Robert Kunkel in the kiss and cry at the European free skate….. How have I neglected to nominate him for PSOTY? Oh my gosh next year he will be at the top of my list.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled program!

Quadjump

Just want to mention that Aljona became 40 years old yesterday.

Who should had known that the level of pair skating has dropped so much since 2022. With the right partner she still would have been unbeatable this year.

Never understood why she did not team up with Eric Radford after 2019. I heard that he was interested several times.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will

text_skate

press release by German fed (Saturday)

The three-time German junior champions Darya Grimm / Michail Savitskiy have achieved something that no German ice dance couple in the history of junior world championships has ever achieved before. At the Junior World Championships in Taipei, the talented team, who train at Rostislav Sinicyn at the Oberstdorf federal base, reached a podium. With a new personal best of 162.13 points, the team won after two strong performances (RD and FD) the bronze medal.

"It's great to have won a medal here," Michail Savitskiy (20) was happy. "It is the first JWM medal in the junior distance for Germany at all, which is of course fantastic."

"It's a bit unfortunate that we missed silver because of my mistake in the Twizzles, but it was still our best FD in the season," said Savitskiy.

Local newspaper Allgäuer Zeitung published an article:
(basically the press release from German fed)

text_skate

Local newpapers sometimes report on personal achievements, which are not news worthy in the big world.
After Junior Worlds the tiny local edition "Bramsche Nachrichten" (5500 copies) of the big local newpaper NOZ (Neue Osnabrücker Zeitung, Lower Saxony) published a piece (paywalled) about

Tobija Harms from Bramsche achieves his goals at the World Figure Skating Championships

excerpt:
Figure skaters Tobija Harms from Bramsche and Aliyah Ackermann from Würzburg can mark up their second Junior World Championships as a success. Why the duo made it to the final in Taipei (Taiwan) was also down to a difficult figure that earned them a lot of points.

"We had set ourselves the triple twist and reaching the freestyle as our goals. Both worked out," said a delighted Tobija Harms the day after the final round. The young man from Bramsche and his figure skating partner had put in a good performance in the short programme, which was enough for them to reach the final. Thanks to 16th place, the team was able to outperform German junior champions Sonja and Robert Löwenherz (Berlin) and qualify for the free skate.

in FS they tried triple throw which didn't work out, they
  • placed 15th, 113,08 pts
  • are satisfied with their performance
  • can enjoy the rest of time in Taipei
Tobija Harms would like to join Sportfördergruppe (no clue how to tranlate that word) of Bundeswehr (probably Aliyah Ackermann, too; not sure they talked to her, too)

I'd like to mention: they train in Oberstdorf (I'm terribly biased when it comes to Oberstdorf
:saint:)

To the journalist I'd like to say: Talk also to the girl, the guy didn't achieve his goal by himself as the headline suggests

Marta24

I can't remember the last time we had a dance team as talented as G/S. I really hope the DEU doesn't screw this up. They said after Junior Worlds that they are staying Juniors, so they are definitely going to be one of the top contenders to win Gold next season.

Sylvia

TBD
Last edited:

text_skate

A post for Müller fans, some news are older
in February the Sports' Council of Chemnitz decided to rename Eisposrtzentrum into Jutta-Müller-Eissportzentrum

The Cente was officially renamed on March, 10th.
with gala, link to gala (2hrs 9 min, should be non geo-blocked, lots of talk, some figure skating, her life)

text_skate

Pre competition reporting
taz - it's mainly about artistic v jump oriented skating (Uno v Malinin, Russian wonder beans), not very interesting, and about chances for German skaters: Starostin: difficult to beat last year's placement, Pairs: potential

Süddeutsche:
Excerpts:
Skating without thinking about the consequences, that's Minerva Hase for the World Cup in Montreal, the last competition of winter. No point counting in the death spiral, no extrapolation in rotations high above the ice surface if it is whirled through the air by just one hand of the partner.
At Euros excpectations got to them.
"I learned that I have to focus more on myself - not on the expectations that I set for myself," she said before the World Cup, which starts on this Wednesday. After the Grand Prix final, she had noticed how attention rose, also in the media, the treacherous word "medal hope" made the rounds. "I had these hopes myself after the Grand Prix successes and thought the opportunity was good," says Hase. "And then it circles in the head. I allowed that too much. That doesn't mean I don't want a medal." But in the preparatory phase of a big competition, she realized, it was more advantageous not to "get too biting into this goal".
Sportschau (focus on Hase/Volodin)

Sport 1 (focus on Isaev, goal to reach final)

ZDF, Interview with Hase, focus on her partnership with Volodin, a Russian skater, and finding a partner

rbb inforadio (audio), about Hocke/Kunkel
H/K are very happy in Bergamo, not so with finances, but a lot of shows for Holidays on Ice
--
rbb
- Minerva Hase has overcome the disappointment at the European Figure Skating Championships in Kaunas, Lithuania.
"We're trying to go into the competition more relaxed again," says Hase in an interview with rbb|24. "We want to radiate more joy again. I was very tense the whole European Championships. I couldn't enjoy it as much as other competitions."
Hocke:
"We have developed further. I hope that's exactly what we can show," Hocke announces. "We're really enjoying training at the moment. It would be great for us if we could end the season with a really good experience and result."
---------
eta: today in MiMa, video appr. 2 min (the headline is misleading, neither Isaev nor Steffen are talking about top 10)
---------
Link to Sportschau article with streaming links

Last edited:

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
A post for Müller fans, some news are older
in February the Sports' Council of Chemnitz decided to rename Eisposrtzentrum into Jutta-Müller-Eissportzentrum

The Cente was officially renamed on March, 10th.
with gala, link to gala (2hrs 9 min, should be non geo-blocked, lots of talk, some figure skating, her life)

Now added to my Retirement Travel List: Visit and have a selfie taken at the Jutta Muller Ice Rink! 👑

Sylvia

TBD
Thanks for your links, @text_skate! :) I also bumped up the Jutta Muller thread on March 10 when the Gala & dedication ceremony took place :): https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...-has-passed-away-aged-94.111180/#post-6564742

CONGRATS to Minerva & Nikita (BRONZE!) and Annika & Robert (placed 5th in FS & overall) on their wonderful free skates last night!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information