Current Finances for German Figure Skaters in Comparison to Other Nations

ice coverage

Italy's system is that some of the elite get appointed as police, not military. I read somewhere that Faiella continued working as a policewoman after she retired from skating.

There are no Italian skaters in the military at the moment but they also have their own sport group. Basically in Italy there are sport groups of
Army (Esercito)
Police
Carabinieri (I don't know how to translate them)
Prison police (Polizia Penitenziaria)
Finance police (Guardia di Finanza)
Air Force (Aeronautica)
Navy (Marina Militare)

Skaters are enlisted as follows
Grassl, Frangipani, Memola, Conti, Guarise, Macii and Gutmann in the regular Police.
Rizzo, Ghilardi, Ambrosini, Beccari, Guignard, Fabbri as Prison police.

Yes, Faiella was in the Police and stayed in after she retired.

An Italian military example from the past was Valentina Marchei, seen in her Air Force uniform in a photo she posted in 2014:

VGThuy

It wasn't me who started it.
It depends on what you consider "starting" something.

So am I supposed to run around happily proclaiming we are living in "the best Germany there ever was" only for you to finally stop harrassing, insulting, belittling and attacking me? What did I do to you? Kill your hamster? Didn't gender you correctly? Criticize your favourite politician?
What the hell is your ****ing problem?! You are free to ignore me if you cannot deal with the backlash.
And don't even dare to assume you know anything about me or whatever I do in my everyday life.
That was completely unnecessary, and though you are not responsible for how others respond to you, you are responsible for setting the initial tone. With the tone you’ve adopted, it’s no surprise what usually follows, most of which is totally foreseeable.

Last edited:

ice crystal

There used to be a federal coach (Bundestrainer) for pair skating (Alex König up to 2021) and one for young/upcoming/junior pair skaters (Rico Rex) in Berlin, they were paid for by the German state/employed through DEU. Teams working with them had to pay no coach fees. Rex still holds that position, but there is no Bundestrainer right now for seniior skaters. The position is vacant.
There is no top level German pairs coach Hocke/Kunkel could work with (well, Knut Schubert seems to be a really great guy, but they wanted new input and I think the move to Hotarek and his team was a good decision, and as their results are ok and Italy is nice they probably also would not consider moving to Chemnitz where Steuer/Szolkovy/Savchenko have now started out).

Have they explained why training in Germany isn't an option?

sus2850

I thought my post explained that a bit? They wanted a more successful coach. Plus they had trouble with the ice time/quality of the ice (she said).

Last edited:

sus2850

It wasn't me who started it.
Of course you did.

Your negativity and aggressive tone already makes me stay off a lot of threads here and made me leave the German facebook group on skating. Why do you feel the need to bring your political views everywhere and then act offended when someone dares to say something against it?

How the DEU is run has nothing to do with the green party, gender politics or what you call „wokeness“.

Rainbow

Living costs would be more it less the same between Italy and Germany. It‘s not like they went to California and expect everything to be payed for. And they are not only talking about themselves, but about the financing in a niche sport like figure skating.

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
Of course you did.

Your negativity and aggressive tone already makes me stay off a lot of threads here and made me leave the German facebook group on skating. Why do you feel the need to bring your political views everywhere and then act offended when someone dares to say something against it?

How the DEU is run has nothing to do with the green party, gender politics or what you call „wokeness“.
Welcome to Doucheland!

znhurston

even though they train in germany their main coach is dmitri savin in sochi. marina and 'kolya have had russian training for year, so that rather than Berlin is reason for their success
No, they haven't. Check out their recent Golden Skate intervew.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information