2023-2024 Synchro News

just tuned in

I think a huge part of it is that the skaters on the Elite 12 teams are skaters that don’t make the regular Senior teams or are from clubs/countries not big enough to have a regular Senior team.
I am surprise about this, too. I thought that Elite 12 would be cross skaters from Senior.

Willin

Whoa. Team Image's junior FS costumes have got to be some of the most garish I've seen outside of ice dance during a Latin RD season.
I was telling my DH that some colors just don't look good on certain skin tones - especially with the ice as your background. Light/hot pink and orange looks bad on light colored skin - it washes you out on the ice. This is a great example. The motion of the dresses was great. The colors weren't.

I am surprise about this, too. I thought that Elite 12 would be cross skaters from Senior.
If they ever get it to the Olympics they'll need to - but I also think they won't get into the Olympics at all, especially with the demos they're putting out for the IOC with 12. The IOC's seen 16 and they'll know what 12 would miss out on. Then again, the best of the best would compete Elite 12 in an Olympic season for sure.

But I also think this is just the smarter option in general: it would be cool to see the 12 best skaters on every team go head to head for 1-2 extra programs.

love skating

Clueless American
I'm surprised to see the regular senior division has only four teams! There used to be a large number of senior teams - what happened?

Simone411

To Boldly Explore Figure Skating Around The World
I tuned in time to see them. They're in second right now.

Simone411

This team really rocked it! I love their Biellman Spirals and twizzles. Miami in 2nd now.

Last edited:

Simone411

Skyliners are in 2nd place now. Not bad. I'm amazed how well they stay in sync!

Simone411

Senior Elite Free Skate begins in 11 minutes, and I feel sort of alone posting here by myself. So, I'll just watch when it begins instead of making so many posts.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
@Willin - please explain how Skyliners are 10 pts behind Haydenettes. I thought both were equally fantastic.

Simone411

@Willin - please explain how Skyliners are 10 pts behind Haydenettes. I thought both were equally fantastic.
I'd like to know, too, because didn't two of the team members have a splat on the ice while they trying to do ... something. I'm not sure what it was, but it looked like they maybe tripped? Still, I thought they were pretty spectacular.

Oh wait. I believe thinking about the Senior Elite Free Skate with the Hockettes and Haydens. But there was a splat, and the Haydens still placed 1st.

Last edited:

Willin

I'm surprised to see the regular senior division has only four teams! There used to be a large number of senior teams - what happened?
1. There were rule changes that shrank smaller teams (and west coast teams). This dried up the West Coast Junior/Senior scene, and dried up a lot of the pipeline for skaters from smaller market teams to go to Senior teams, meaning less auditioners and less teams.

2. Some large organizations were more hurt than others by the rule changes affecting their recruitment pipelines paired with coaches ready to retire or wind down from senior (which is a huge commitment). Some were also hurt by age limit changes to Senior. So a bunch of little things came together over the years to sink Senior teams like Team Excel, Team Del Sol, and Crystallettes.

3. With all the money and effort needed to have a senior team, it’s not worth it for many teams (like Teams Elite or Crystallettes) to have a senior if they know they have no real shot at a worlds berth. USFS has made it clear that there’s only Hayden + Miami/Skyliners in the running. So they aren’t bothering.

Hayden has better skating skills, choreography, and politicking. They’ve also been leading international scores this year by far - they have a real shot at a world title.

I didn’t watch the skates so I can’t say specifics.

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
Interesting for the US that there are only 4 Senior teams. We have 3 Senior teams in Australia. But Willin's post above has explained it.

Although it is a shame that teams are not competing if they don't think they have a shot a Worlds. It kind of diminishes the development of the sport. For me it should be more about being part of the sport. But that is just my personal opinion.

Willin

@Aussie Willy A lot of it is less that they don't have a shot at worlds generally (eg. they don't have a chance this year, but they can work for it as a team in future seasons), and more that USFS doesn't give them a shot period. Teams Elite was a very strong Senior team - could've made the Worlds team based on how their international scores stacked up - but USFS made sure they knew they were low on the domestic judging pecking order. So they didn't go to worlds. Why spend the Senior time/money if you're treated unfairly? Skyliners stuck it out, but it took a several seasons for them to get the benefit of the doubt over Miami/Crystallettes - and even then, in seasons where they should've/were beating Hayden internationally, they were always clearly 2nd fiddle in the eyes of USFS.

Something I forgot to add is this: USFS is making Junior and Senior harder to participate in than ever.

It used to be you do your local comp(s), sectionals (if you didn't get an international), Junior World Qualifier (if you thought you had a shot at Junior Worlds), and Nationals. That's 3-5 competitions a season to pay to travel to - assuming $500-1k for out of town flight/hotel/bus, that's maybe $3-5k/season for travel. Now there's a series of specific monitoring competitions domestically - upping the amount of competitions teams need to attend to more like 5-10/season. That's easily closer to $5-10k in travel costs.

And these competitions are not cheap or easy to travel to - due to the rule changes there are 0 Senior/Junior teams on the West Coast (down from 1-3 of each). And yet, despite a midwest/east competition a similar weekend in fall, they expect all Junior and Senior teams to travel all the way to California for the first monitoring competition. On social media I noticed some Junior teams last season were competing just about every other week from November to March. They may have 2-3 weeks for international travel to assignments (sometimes in a 2 week block, sometimes separate). A lot of Junior/Senior skaters are high school and college students. That's a lot of school for them to miss.

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
@Aussie Willy A lot of it is less that they don't have a shot at worlds generally (eg. they don't have a chance this year, but they can work for it as a team in future seasons), and more that USFS doesn't give them a shot period. Teams Elite was a very strong Senior team - could've made the Worlds team based on how their international scores stacked up - but USFS made sure they knew they were low on the domestic judging pecking order. So they didn't go to worlds. Why spend the Senior time/money if you're treated unfairly? Skyliners stuck it out, but it took a several seasons for them to get the benefit of the doubt over Miami/Crystallettes - and even then, in seasons where they should've/were beating Hayden internationally, they were always clearly 2nd fiddle in the eyes of USFS.

Something I forgot to add is this: USFS is making Junior and Senior harder to participate in than ever.

It used to be you do your local comp(s), sectionals (if you didn't get an international), Junior World Qualifier (if you thought you had a shot at Junior Worlds), and Nationals. That's 3-5 competitions a season to pay to travel to - assuming $500-1k for out of town flight/hotel/bus, that's maybe $3-5k/season for travel. Now there's a series of specific monitoring competitions domestically - upping the amount of competitions teams need to attend to more like 5-10/season. That's easily closer to $5-10k in travel costs.

And these competitions are not cheap or easy to travel to - due to the rule changes there are 0 Senior/Junior teams on the West Coast (down from 1-3 of each). And yet, despite a midwest/east competition a similar weekend in fall, they expect all Junior and Senior teams to travel all the way to California for the first monitoring competition. On social media I noticed some Junior teams last season were competing just about every other week from November to March. They may have 2-3 weeks for international travel to assignments (sometimes in a 2 week block, sometimes separate). A lot of Junior/Senior skaters are high school and college students. That's a lot of school for them to miss.
Thank you very much for the detailed post. That explains it very well.

While our teams have qualification scores here in Australia, they don't have to jump through the same hoops to get to nationals.

Willin

Probably smelling the blood in the water with Miami looking very weak and Adrian on the downtrend. The whole field sans Hayden looks weak this year.

Karen-W

Probably smelling the blood in the water with Miami looking very weak and Adrian on the downtrend. The whole field sans Hayden looks weak this year.
Isn't Miami's coach retiring at the end of this season? I think I saw that mentioned on their IG but I can't recall for sure.

Adrian did not look like they belonged in the competition at all.

Sylvia

TBD
2024 ISU World Junior Synchronized Skating Championships, March 15-16, in Neuchâtel, Switzerland - ISU event info page: https://www.isu.org/synchronized-sk...onized-skating-championships?templateParam=11
Entries/schedule: https://results.isu.org/events/fsevent00117490.htm
ISU's press release: https://www.isu.org/synchronized-sk...onized-skating-championships?templateParam=15

ISU Youtube Channel's SP livestream: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zs6o1WCrck
FS livestream: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6X3QkTkfoE

Skate Canada's press release:

USFS' press release:

Local Chicago news story on Team Elite Junior in Northbrook, IL ("won the Hevelius Cup and Budapest Cup and has the highest seasons best with 205.54 points") according to the ISU's preview article:
ETA to add on March 13:

Last edited:

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
@Willin ice time seems to be getting more expensive as well, not to mention the general cost of living going up in different areas. Do you think skaters are less able to afford the cost of participating in synchro? Even if they didn't have to pay $$$ to go to the extra monitoring sessions you mentioned?

Willin

I think less skaters are able to afford it, but synchro is also much more affordable in general than most skating. Before all these monitoring things (and 10-15 years ago), I had friends skate on international Novice/Junior teams for $5-10k/season. With all the monitoring, $20k would be the number I'd expect. Depending on the organization, area of the country, and level you can pay as little as $1000/season to compete. Most developmental (Prelim-Novice), rec (Open Juv, Beginner) and adult teams teams easily keep it under $5k/year - but usually closer to $2500 or under. One big org is advertising all USFS travel teams (including Junior) as $2800/year. Of course travel is separate from the rest.

Ways they keep it cheap include multiple large fundraisers, internal/team scholarship programs, club scholarships, alumni engagement/donations, partnering with rinks or park districts (eg making synchro a rink-sponsored group lesson), and doing group rates for all travel. I've also heard of parents shopping around teams for cost, especially in areas like Michigan and Chicagoland where you have multiple teams to try out for - which incentivizes lower costs.

So while costs as a whole are going up and it's certainly a factor, especially for the skating lessons outside of synchro, I think places are very much managing to make do at the lower levels - especially the recreational levels.

Sylvia

TBD
Last edited:

victorskid

Happily ignoring ultracrepidarians (& trolls)!

The 2nd last warm-up group is just starting.
Current Overall Standing

Pl.NameNationPointsSPFS
1Team Ice Fire Junior
POL
2Team Harmonia Junior
CZE
3Team Berlin Junior
GER
4Team Ladybirds Junior
ITA
5Team Solway Stars Junior
GBR
6Team Colibris Vienna Junior
AUT
7Team Magic Junior
HUN
8Team Jeanne D'Arc Junior
FRA
9Team Majestic Ice Junior
AUS
10Team Mirum Junior
ESP
11Team Illuminettes Junior
NED
12Team Zagreb Snowflakes Junior
CRO
13Team Titanium Junior
NZL
14Team Bosphorus Junior
TUR

The remaining two groups of 5 teams (with one more ice resurfacing):

15 Team Jingu Ice Messengers Junior
JPN.GIF
JPN
16 Team Starlight Junior
SUI.GIF
SUI
17 Team Hot Shivers Junior
ITA.GIF
ITA
18 Team Valley Bay Synchro Junior
FIN.GIF
FIN
19 Team Seaside Junior
SWE.GIF
SWE
20 Team Elite Junior
USA.GIF
USA
21 Team Nexxice Junior
CAN.GIF
CAN
22 Team Les Supremes Junior
CAN.GIF
CAN
23 Team Fintastic Junior
FIN.GIF
FIN
24 Team Skyliners Junior
USA.GIF
USA

victorskid

Happily ignoring ultracrepidarians (& trolls)!
The final result:

1Team Les Supremes Junior
CAN.GIF
CAN
2Team Fintastic Junior
FIN.GIF
FIN
3Team Skyliners Junior
USA.GIF
USA
4Team Elite Junior
USA.GIF
USA
5Team Valley Bay Synchro Junior
FIN.GIF
FIN
6Team Nexxice Junior
CAN.GIF
CAN
7Team Seaside Junior
SWE.GIF
SWE
8Team Hot Shivers Junior
ITA.GIF
ITA
9Team Starlight Junior
SUI.GIF
SUI
10Team Jingu Ice Messengers Junior
JPN.GIF
JPN
11Team Ice Fire Junior
POL.GIF
POL
12Team Harmonia Junior
CZE.GIF
CZE
13Team Berlin Junior
GER.GIF
GER
14Team Ladybirds Junior
ITA.GIF
ITA
15Team Solway Stars Junior
GBR.GIF
GBR
16Team Colibris Vienna Junior
AUT.GIF
AUT
17Team Magic Junior
HUN.GIF
HUN
18Team Jeanne D'Arc Junior
FRA.GIF
FRA
19Team Majestic Ice Junior
AUS.GIF
AUS
20Team Mirum Junior
ESP.GIF
ESP
21Team Illuminettes Junior
NED
22Team Zagreb Snowflakes Junior
CRO
23Team Titanium Junior
NZL
24Team Bosphorus Junior
TUR

Congratulations to coaches Marilyn Langlois, Pascal Denis, Laurie Désilets and Team Les Supremes Junior!!

Last edited:

Willin

I haven't watched yet, but I'm shocked at the result given how dominant Teams Elite was the rest of the season and how Skyliners/Elite were consistently beating Fintastic's scores. IIRC at least one of the two also beat Les Supremes. For both US teams these scores are well below their SBs. Either the judges here hated them or they skated very poorly.

Karen-W

I haven't watched yet, but I'm shocked at the result given how dominant Teams Elite was the rest of the season and how Skyliners/Elite were consistently beating Fintastic's scores. IIRC at least one of the two also beat Les Supremes. For both US teams these scores are well below their SBs. Either the judges here hated them or they skated very poorly.
Elite had a fall in the SP and Skyliners had a lift go down early in their FS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information