From Russia With Love [#40]: Summer 2021 & into the Olympic season

Status
Not open for further replies.

bladesofgorey

It's my understanding that athletes need to list ALL of the medications they are on, whether or not those appear on restricted or banned lists (and therefore would need an exemption for them). At the very least this would be in medical charts submitted to the event medical team since they would need this info in the event of an emergency.

skatingguy

decently
I was not saying it was exactly the same condition. The point is just because someone is young, it doesn't mean he/she cannot have certain medical Conditions.
I understood what you were trying to say, and I understand why you want to find a reasonable explanation for why the medication would be in her system, but given the restrictions, and regulations around the use of this particular medication, and around the use of medication by elite athletes this is not a reasonable explanation. There may be a reasonable explanation, but at this point we don't have any clues as to what it may be.

attyfan

If the medicine does not contain a banned substance why should she submit paperwork?
So she will not be wrongfully accused when the test gives a false positive. The ROC and their skating federation are expected to know the rules which include (a) that the heart medicine is a banned substance and (b) that the migraine medicine can create a false positive for the banned heart medicine. So, the sensible thing to do when a star athlete is taking the migraine medicine is to be pro-active and disclose the issue, thereby pre-empting the current mess. At the very least, they should have had paperwork ready so it could have been produced immediately after the positive results became known.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I understood what you were trying to say, and I understand why you want to find a reasonable explanation for why the medication would be in her system, but given the restrictions, and regulations around the use of this particular medication, and around the use of medication by elite athletes this is not a reasonable explanation. There may be a reasonable explanation, but at this point we don't have any clues as to what it may be.
I agree that we don't know what it is. That is why people should not be jumping to conclusions.

Last edited:

buffyfan02

yes exactly. Like I figure any athlete at this elite level (tennis, gymnastics, track etc) should disclose absolutely all meds they are on so you can avoid this hot mess. And athletes are always given medical exemptions, it’s an established process that many athletes go through so to say “they didn’t know”’ would be BS in my opinion. I’ll await until we have more concrete details and info but I do feel for Kamila, she absolutely needs to be protected, and if she’s being fed drugs then damn what does that say about her team, about the sport of figure skating??
So she will not be wrongfully accused when the test gives a false positive. The ROC and their skating federation are expected to know the rules which include (a) that the heart medicine is a banned substance and (b) that the migraine medicine can create a false positive for the banned heart medicine. So, the sensible thing to do when a star athlete is taking the migraine medicine is to be pro-active and disclose the issue, thereby pre-empting the current mess. At the very least, they should have had paperwork ready so it could have been produced immediately after the positive results became known.

taz'smum

'Be Kind' - every skater has their own story
I question why a 15 year old needs migraine medicine.
I've had migraines since I hit puberty, so a 15 year old could perfectly well need migraine medication.
Though Tiff has had a few migraines she would never take the migraine medication for fear of the doping consequences.
Most athletes are scared to take anything for fear it will get them banned.

Xela M

I don't think it's that shocking that people are "jumping to conclusions" when once again an athlete tests positive for a banned substance from a country that has been proven to have so many fricking doping scandals and a systemic doping problem that they are not even allowed to compete under their own flag (and haven't been allowed for the past three Olympics!) 😳

It's not exactly a leap to assume she was deliberately given a banned substances 🤨

euterpe

I don't know anyone who got migraines as teenagers. While I'm sure there are few kids who need it, I highly doubt that it amounts to "many." I find it is almost too convenient that a top figure skater would need this medicine. Maybe Trusova and Anna also have migraine problems.

I had my first migraine when I was 13, and I still have migraine symptoms now.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
...especially given that her stamina and consistency (along with all Eteri girls) are extraordinary...
But no one questions the stamina and consistency of a skater from another country or another coach.

These are extraordinarily talented athletes; they have been so since a very young age (Kamila at 9 or Gubanova at 10, for example). Russia has a very deep talent pool in figure skating. It is unfair to suggest that they are good because of doping, unless there is Concrete evidence.

All I am seeing here are speculations and accusations, to tarnish the names of Potentially innocent people.

jenny12

I don't think it's that shocking that people are "jumping to conclusions" when once again an athlete tests positive for a banned substance from a country that has been proven to have so many fricking doping scandals and a systemic doping problem that they are not even allowed to compete under their own flag (and haven't been allowed for the past three Olympics!) 😳

It's not exactly a leap to assume she was deliberately given a banned substances 🤨

Yep. The only gaslighting is coming from those who are repeatedly using the words “speculation” and “rumors” around a confirmed positive drug test.

concorde

I don’t know how many elite athletes have migraines. Google it if you are interested. But even if it wasn’t 28% but just 1%, it doesn’t mean that she can’t have it. Hanyu has asthma. How many percent elite athletes have asthma? Probably not many, but as you see, there are some.
Lots of ice skaters and hockey players have exercised induced asthma. The cold dry air triggers it. At the higher levels, almost all will develop it. One of my daughter's former coaches said she never had a top student that did not eventually get it.

I had my first migraine after going ice skating when I was in 5th grade. I continued to get them on and off for years - was actually medically discharged from the Navy due to them. Both my son and daughter get the migraines as well.

giselle23

Many 15 year olds (and even much younger) need both daily preventative and acute migraine medicine.

If both medications were given, I think that the urine ratios of metabolites should reflect that both were given.
There is no report that she actually took migraine medicine. It's just that the migraine medicine at issue apparently can cause a false report of TMZ (the banned substance). Here is what we don't know so far: whether she took the banned substance (TMZ), if so, who gave it to her and why, whether she took the migraine medicine, and if so, who gave it to her and for what and whether the migraine medicine affected the results. Until these facts are known, it's impossible to say whether a violation of the drug policy has occurred. It is also impossible to say what the sanction, if any, should be or against whom.

euterpe

Lots of ice skaters and hockey players have exercised induced asthma. The cold dry air triggers it. At the higher levels, almost all will develop it. One of my daughter's former coaches said she never had a top student that did not eventually get it.

I had my first migraine after going ice skating when I was in 5th grade. I continued to get them on and off for years - was actually medically discharged from the Navy due to them. Both my son and daughter get the migraines as well.
It runs in my family, too. My mother had it as well as three sisters.

soogar

I feel sorry for Kamila. I don't feel sorry for her team or anyone defending her team. I think she should be allowed to skate because I 100% blame the team around her. They are the ones who should be sanctioned and banned. This girl is 15. It's only a f*cking medal. She has decades left that could be adversely affected.
Kamila didn’t participate in it, but her team had if the drug test is confirmed. It’s unfortunate but she can not be rewarded by being permitted to skate just because she’s a minor and people feel bad for her. If this were Liza, people would not be arguing that she should skate. She is only 15 and will not receive harsh punishment. She can persevere through another Olympic cycle. Yes it’s a medal. A medal that many kids like Alyssa and Mariah and others pay hundreds of thousands of dollars to train and compete for. There is an expectation of clean competition. Since it is just a medal, it is certainly not worth the possible long term side effects of giving a child a substance that is not prescribed for people under 18 years old.

Nune

I feel sorry for Kamila. I don't feel sorry for her team or anyone defending her team. I think she should be allowed to skate because I 100% blame the team around her. They are the ones who should be sanctioned and banned. This girl is 15. It's only a f*cking medal. She has decades left that could be adversely affected.

Nune

Even if she wouldn’t have known about the Doping itself, I think that being this evtl official it is absolutely not fair in compa to the other skaters. As they are potentially not doped the competition with Kamila wou not be fair at all.

trouble77

Banned Member
Even if she wouldn’t have known about the Doping itself, I think that being this evtl official it is absolutely not fair in compa to the other skaters. As they are potentially not doped the competition with Kamila wou not be fair at all.
If it's true that she took a pill for her migraine, it is also true that already many experts have confirmed that this drug it's not a performance enhancement. If all this scandal doesn't affect her, she is going to win fair and square!

muffinplus

If it's true that she took a pill for her migraine, it is also true that already many experts have confirmed that this drug it's not a performance enhancement. If all this scandal doesn't affect her, she is going to win fair and square!
Does anyone in Russia take this medication though? From what I understand it is mostly common in Japan not Russia

skatingguy

decently
Very good interview...This doctor is totally right.

We can't take anything coming from RT seriously.
There's no evidence to suggest that Valieva gets migraines, or that she took a migraine medication.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information