From Russia With Love [#40]: Summer 2021 & into the Olympic season

Status
Not open for further replies.

hanca

Values her privacy
They included Sofia Samodelkina, who's not even age eligible.

I don't think it's strictly the National team though, because isn't Nugumanova on that (and not Gulyakova)? And Kadyrova/Balchenko are on it as well. Plus there are other differences from what I remember.
National team from last year?

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
Shoot I can barely spell in English. And the Russians have changing names....Alexandra to.Sasha.

It is. It fair that the Russian ladies have so many great ladies. They need to have more entries for realms.

Great skaters.cant get a shot.

On the other hand.the stress on the skaters to do.harder and harder has to lead to more injuries and withdrawals.

Russia should give a few of these.gals to USA.

Ka3sha

According to R-sport source, Russian skaters will get their passports today and fly to Vancouver at night. This way they will be able to sit the required quarantine, and then compete at the event

Samarin, Pavliuchenko/Khodykin and Shanaeva/Narizhny have already arrived to Canada

Last edited:

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
According to R-sport source, Russian skaters will get their passports today and fly to Vancouver at night. This way they will be able to sit the required quarantine, and then compete at the event

Samarin, Pavliuchenko/Khodykin and Shanaeva/Narizhny have already arrived to Canada
I think they mean testing not quarantine? I believe they need the 24- 48 hour testing which is likely what they mean by quarantine?

greenapple

As far as I understand, as Russian vaccine is not recognized in Canada, Russian athletes still have to go in quarantine but for 3 days only (instead of 14 for regular citizens)
The government website about high performance athletes entering Canada does not mention any vaccine restrictions or quarantine.

The Russian federation posted that the remaining team members will leave for Canada on Tuesday night, and taking into account the travel time and the time difference, it would not be possible for them to quarantine for three days given that the competition begins on Friday.

Last edited:

muffinplus

As far as I understand, as Russian vaccine is not recognized in Canada, Russian athletes still have to go in quarantine but for 3 days only (instead of 14 for regular citizens)
I think that's just inaccuate reporting by sports.ru or whoever... There is either a standard 14 day quarantine... or not. I don't think there is any special 3 day quarantine for athletes. (at least that's not mentioned anywhere). For sporting events, it mentions that you can be exempt from quarantine with a letter...

Ka3sha

It very well could be an innacurate reporting, and I myself haven’t checked the documents, of course.
However, Sokolovskaya said in the interview they were to fly earlier to Canada as they need to go to 3 days quarantine. Otherwise there would not be any sense for Team Russia to fly there on Sunday with the event starting on Friday and official practices on Wednesday/Thursday.
Also, according to David Narizhny Instagram they are indeed on the 2nd day of quarantine now.

muffinplus

It very well could be an innacurate reporting, and I myself haven’t checked the documents, of course.
However, Sokolovskaya said in the interview they were to fly earlier to Canada as they need to go to 3 days quarantine. Otherwise there would not be any sense for Team Russia to fly there on Sunday with the event starting on Friday and official practices on Wednesday/Thursday.
Also, according to David Narizhny Instagram they are indeed on the 2nd day of quarantine now.

Fair enough.. kind of odd TBH though. And yeah, if the rest of the team is only leaving Tuesday how are they going to quarantine for 3 days if the event starts Friday :confused::confused:

Elka

We used to have in Finland (maybe we still have for those not received the vaccines) a mandatory quarantine which you could get out of having a negative test after three days. Maybe they did it for Finlandia Trophy and somehow the information is mixed.

J

Jeschke

So Samsonov is out of his 2nd GP too :(
His 'bye' to nationals is thus non-existent anymore and one more spot to grab at RC series or Eteri-magic of power? :D

hanca

Values her privacy
So Samsonov is out of his 2nd GP too :(
His 'bye' to nationals is thus non-existent anymore and one more spot to grab at RC series or Eteri-magic of power? :D
That’s not certain. In the past the bye to nationals was not for actually competing at the GP, but for receiving a GP. So if someone had a GP event and had to withdraw for heath reasons, usually they let the skater compete at the nationals, if the skater recovered in time.

Scott512

Shoot I can barely spell in English. And the Russians have changing names....Alexandra to.Sasha.

It is. It fair that the Russian ladies have so many great ladies. They need to have more entries for realms.

Great skaters.cant get a shot.

On the other hand.the stress on the skaters to do.harder and harder has to lead to more injuries and withdrawals.

Russia should give a few of these.gals to USA.
I'm with you Annie but how do we get more entries for the Russian ladies? The only event that allows that is the Grand Prix final and the Junior Grand Prix final which is why those events are so good because only the best qualify. I think if you win a medal after the Winter Olympic figure skating you should get and easy to qualify entry to come back 4 years later that will keep people in the sport longer competitively.

People complain about the TT girls burning out but every year or two there are two or three girls that come along better a year or two younger than their predecessors but they are better than them and they push them out of the way. That may stop happening after aAkatieva turns senior. The other TT girls are good but not in the league of Sofia or Maya or Dasha or KV or the original 3A.

love_skate2011

Banned Member
Samsonov is just following the long line of russian men/boys failing under expectations
basically right now lets just give up on the men and agree that russian men scene is like a Unicorn now,

anyone I mean anyone can win, hot or cold, no exceptions: Kolyada, Samarin, Mozalev, Gumennik, Semeneneko, Aliev, Ignatov, Kondratyuk.... All are einterchangeable depending on which stars align for that event.

love_skate2011

Banned Member
People complain about the TT girls burning out but every year or two there are two or three girls that come along better a year or two younger than their predecessors but they are better than them and they push them out of the way. That may stop happening after aAkatieva turns senior. The other TT girls are good but not in the league of Sofia or Maya or Dasha or KV or the original 3A.
There is Alisa D which is having a rivalry with Plusenko's student: Sofia T

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
I'm with you Annie but how do we get more entries for the Russian ladies? The only event that allows that is the Grand Prix final and the Junior Grand Prix final which is why those events are so good because only the best qualify. I think if you win a medal after the Winter Olympic figure skating you should get and easy to qualify entry to come back 4 years later that will keep people in the sport longer competitively.

Well, I don't have it all worked out yet. :summer:
X

:summer:

hanca

Values her privacy
Only because they are still too young. It doesn’t really matter how great is someone when they are at ten, if it doesn’t last to the age when they can compete internationally. Tutberidze has been having the strongest skaters every year at JGP (and at seniors too), so I have no reason to think it will change only because none of the very young girls currently stands out. You saw what progress she did with Zagitova within one year one year ninth at junior nationals, next year won most competitions at junior level and the year after won the GPF, European and Olympics. Kostornaya the year before her successful junior debut was only 16th at junior nationals. Looking at Kostornaya and Zagitova a year before they competed at their JGP and junior worlds, no one would guess they will have the career they have. So why worry about how Tutberidze’s young girls are doing now?
Besides, look at Gubanova and Nugumanova. Both of them were great when they were ten, eleven, twelve... And now - no Europeans, worlds or Olympics.

Scott512

Only because they are still too young. It doesn’t really matter how great is someone when they are at ten, if it doesn’t last to the age when they can compete internationally. Tutberidze has been having the strongest skaters every year at JGP (and at seniors too), so I have no reason to think it will change only because none of the very young girls currently stands out. You saw what progress she did with Zagitova within one year one year ninth at junior nationals, next year won most competitions at junior level and the year after won the GPF, European and Olympics. Kostornaya the year before her successful junior debut was only 16th at junior nationals. Looking at Kostornaya and Zagitova a year before they competed at their JGP and junior worlds, no one would guess they will have the career they have. So why worry about how Tutberidze’s young girls are doing now?
Besides, look at Gubanova and Nugumanova. Both of them were great when they were ten, eleven, twelve... And now - no Europeans, worlds or Olympics.
EG did unbelievable work with Alina and aleona.
Is like nothing we've ever seen in coaching. AK was 16th and and I guess junior Russian nationals then she went to e.g. And then she was 3rd. Unbelievable..

Yeah I guess we don't really know who's going to be the great ones behind Sofia. But for 2 years we've known about this girl and I don't see anybody coming up right behind her in her class. But it all has to unfold.

hanca

Values her privacy
EG did unbelievable work with Alina and aleona.
Is like nothing we've ever seen in coaching. AK was 16th and and I guess junior Russian nationals then she went to e.g. And then she was 3rd. Unbelievable..

Yeah I guess we don't really know who's going to be the great ones behind Sofia. But for 2 years we've known about this girl and I don't see anybody coming up right behind her in her class. But it all has to unfold.
You still don’t seem to understand that it doesn’t really matter how long we have known about Sofia. We have known about her for two years, but it didn’t do Gubanova and Nugumanova any favours that we have known about them for ages. By the time they got junior age eligible, the others of their age group caught up. It doesn’t matter how great you are at 10, 11, or 12. When it start counting is when someone is junior eligible and then even more so when someone is senior eligible. You could be great at the age of 10 and suddenly at 16 you are just an average. Sad, but that’s the reality.

Where is Sakhanovich? Proklova? Tsurskaya? They all were so good at the age of 13…
And Tarakanova…. And Tarusina…

Last edited:

Scott512

You still don’t seem to understand that it doesn’t really matter how long we have known about Sofia. We have known about her for two years, but it didn’t do Gubanova and Nugumanova any favours that we have known about them for ages. By the time they got junior age eligible, the others of their age group caught up. It doesn’t matter how great you are at 10, 11, or 12. When it start counting is when someone is junior eligible and then even more so when someone is senior eligible. You could be great at the age of 10 and suddenly at 16 you are just an average. Sad, but that’s the reality.

Where is Sakhanovich? Proklova? Tsurskaya? They all were so good at the age of 13…
And Tarakanova…. And Tarusina…
Yes Nastya G was the best novice girl I've ever seen at 12 or 13. But it's sad she was so easily brushed to the side by the Federation and replaced by others and that happened to many others including some of the names you put in your post.

Nastia still has a chance to matter representing the Republic of Georgia. Somehow she escaped the Russian Federation gulag. But she is the exception rather than the rule. Taurasina had her career ruined by a bus accident in France.

I think nastya T and Liza nugu should have changed federation's.

We will see who rises up behind Sofia. But there is no one close to her level of her age at TT.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Yes Nastya G was the best novice girl I've ever seen at 12 or 13. But it's sad she was so easily brushed to the side by the Federation and replaced by others and that happened to many others including some of the names you put in your post.

Nastia still has a chance to matter representing the Republic of Georgia. Somehow she escaped the Russian Federation gulag. But she is the exception rather than the rule. Taurasina had her career ruined by a bus accident in France.

I think nastya T and Liza nugu should have changed federation's.

We will see who rises up behind Sofia. But there is no one close to her level of her age at TT.

Shouldn't this discussion be in the thread for Russian Women? Sorry for the interruption. I know it is easy to get into the wrong thread. I have done it too.

Scott512

Shouldn't this discussion be in the thread for Russian Women? Sorry for the interruption. I know it is easy to get into the wrong thread. I have done it too.
Probably so but I just quoted somebody's post and I gather it was in this thread.

Sylvia

TBD
So, Artur Dmitriev Jr. has registered for at least one U.S. qualifying competition (Championship Series in Alpharetta, GA in November) - as a non-U.S. citizen he is allowed to do so since he has not represented Russia since 2018 Rostelecom Cup and as long as he gets permission from USFS (like Paniot did in 2019) - pertinent USFS rulebook excerpt is here: https://twitter.com/SylviaUnseen/status/1448701977026826240
I guess we'll have to wait and see if he actually shows up and competes.
Dmitriev's mother, Tatiana Druchinina, coached in New Jersey for a while, IIRC. Found an online bio:
Dmitriev Jr. was born in St. Petersburg in Sept. 1992 so he must have spent quite a lot of his growing up years in the USA.
Dmitriev Jr. competed in the first of his 2 scheduled U.S. qualifying competitions yesterday and finished 3rd of 4 (61.64 in SP, 127.60 in FS, 189.24 total) in Leesburg, VA. Artur Sr. was quoted in this article about his son:
Machine translation:
“A few days ago, my son was in Moscow, where he recently skated to keep fit in the group of Nina Moser,” stressed the elder Dmitriev, who was also his last coach. “Arthur just decided to ride in the USA, where he has friends . I entered the US Championship Series in Virginia. In America, everything is simple: you pay the money, and then play. In addition, Arthur has an American passport, which my wife and I issued for him when we worked in the United States."

Vagabond

President Vladimir V. Putin has largely left it to regional governors to implement pandemic-related restrictions but has recently taken a more active role, ordering that all nonessential workers stay home from Oct. 30 until Nov. 7.

Moscow, with 7,267 new infections in the past 24 hours, has been an epicenter of the pandemic. The city began a light lockdown two days earlier, on Oct. 28. Schools, kindergartens, nonessential shops, restaurants, bars and gyms are closed, while museums and theaters remain open at 50-percent capacity.
How will this effect elite sports, particularly figure skating?

love_skate2011

Banned Member
Nothing, gyms are closed for services, does it affect sportsmen with their facilities under bubble ? :confused:
isn't the Russian Grand Prix in Sochi, Not Moscow. Russia cancelling the Grand Prix would be the least concern, its opposite to
China's zero Covid tolerance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information