From Russia With Love [#40]: Summer 2021 & into the Olympic season

Status
Not open for further replies.

skylark

She was just too much woman/skater for him. You have to pity the man. His injuries also made him irritable.

Galliamov is just a lovely specimen of a man, Mishina was fortunate to find him. He is a gem.

He is lovely ... and he was fortunate to get Mishina too! Happily, he says so. He's made a point of saying that the pairs man's and woman's contributions to all the elements, including lifts, are equal and equally important. Just different.

Mishina is strong, as witnessed by how she holds her position where she sits on his hand. But she's also so lovely, the way she projects such confidence, not cocky but like she wants to share her happiness with all of us. She's natural. When asked what she likes about lifts, she said she likes being up high so she can smile at people. By that, I take it to mean she enjoys the opportunity, if fleeting, for eye contact or connection. When asked what they like most about each other, Mishina said that she can trust Galliamov to always lift her safely and catch her. He said he likes that she gives encouragement during a program when he makes a mistake. It's never overt, as far as I can tell. A hand squeeze and a look that passes between them.

You can tell, I ❤️ this couple.

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
You can tell, I ❤️ this couple.
Not only you, darling.

I have posted a couple of times how much I admire Mishina for her comeback story after that nasty dump from Mirzoev and her very subtle but effective symbolical middle finger to him by winning Jr. and Sr. Worlds with Galliamov. Mirzoev can stay where he is and drown in his regret.

Galliamov is an absolute gem. I remember watching their SP last Christmas with my bf's mom and she also loved them and she jokingly said during his slide-move: "How nice of him to bend the knee to her. It doesn't happen too often with men doing this."

skylark

Not only you, darling.

I have posted a couple of times how much I admire Mishina for her comeback story after that nasty dump from Mirzoev and her very subtle but effective symbolical middle finger to him by winning Jr. and Sr. Worlds with Galliamov. Mirzoev can stay where he is and drown in his regret.

Galliamov is an absolute gem. I remember watching their SP last Christmas with my bf's mom and she also loved them and she jokingly said during his slide-move: "How nice of him to bend the knee to her. It doesn't happen too often with men doing this."
I admire her for the classy way she responded. More with acknowledgement than anything else. According to my friend Wiki, Mishina said publicly something like 'I know he (Mirzoev) struggles with my weight but it's not possible for me to lose more.' I'm just happy that she, at the time only 15, was able to emerge from that partnership accepting herself and accepting that with his height and slender build, the pair just wasn't going to work from that time forward. And within a couple of months, she was with the Galliamov gem.

I like your friend's mom's comment too. Part of their charm is that Mishina is such a joyful, natural lady and Galliamov is such a gallant gentlemen, always. And it gets demonstrated in their skating choreography.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
Would y’all please use the Russian Women thread for ladiez and leave this one for the other disciplines? Спасибо
Easier said than done since the title of this thread is inclusive of women. Not arguing against the idea....

love_skate2011

Banned Member
Bleak future of Kaganovskaya / Angelopol , just had their JGP debut season.
She doesn't stop growing, This is why a buffer of 6 inches for the boy should be made in partnership selection process.
It will save resources too, No height difference ? No partnership !

another break up soon, or so so partnership because of tall girl/short guy
I'm looking at you Carerira/Ponomarenko, Hawayek/Baker and Stepanova/Bukin.

Bigbird

She doesn't stop growing, This is why a buffer of 6 inches for the boy should be made in partnership selection process.

Most of their men/boys or slight to medium and not very tall. You either have to be petite or very thin. It's just their reality period. So I think the girls know to simply skate each skate as if it were their last. How many of the current pairs senior or junior doing well have that sweet height difference?

love_skate2011

Banned Member
La Tuks FS from 1st stage of Cup of Russia

jumps are improving botched to 2Lz no combo

Sass is improving, it depends on her jumps
if she cant jump them all , she looks worn out

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Congratulations to Ilya Yablokov (Butsaeva’s student) for winning JGP Ljubljana today with this fab FS. Good total score 231.99 points...a blow-out, with #2, Levandi (EST), scoring 194.35 total pts.

Ilya turns 18 next Wednesday, so Happy Birthday to him!

Last edited:

skylark

But if they're paired up fairly young, growth spurts could disappear that difference anyway, couldn't it?

I recall a detail from Gordeeva's book 'My Sergei.' She said when G/G were being considered (or evaluated, or whatever was done) for pairing, that her (Katia's) family background was looked into, to be assured that she wouldn't grow too tall. But things are different now, I suppose.

Holy Headband

chair of the Lee Sihyeong international fanclub

All 3 teams you listed have had very respectable careers so far, and what flaws/obstacles they've had to deal with are not due to their height difference.

K/A are a talented young team and if they feel comfortable with each other and are able to execute their lifts, that's all that matters. If their lines are displeasing to the judges, that will be reflected in their scores; so far, it hasn't been.

Obviously fans are free to comment on stuff like this and express concerns and negative opinions, but calling for K/A to separate just as they're hitting their stride on the junior circuit because Kaganovskaia may or may not grow another 3 cm seems a little, well, unnecessary to me.

Ka3sha

Interviews with:
Mishina/Gallyamov

Boikova/Kozlovskii

Ilia Yablokov, Kaganovskaya/Angelopol and Adelia Petrosian after JGP event #5

Khudaberdieva/Buzin

missing

Well-Known To Whom She Wonders
IFS Magazine tweeted the following (translating it from Russian) and I don't know what it means. Could someone familiar with visas explain it?

Russian skaters will have to obtain U.S. visas abroad said Alexander Gorshkov. The federation is working on getting visas for those skaters who need one to enter the U.S. for Skate America.

Горшков: российским фигуристам придется получать визы США за границей https://rsport.ria.ru/20210927/ffkkr-1752065921.html

RoseRed

IFS Magazine tweeted the following (translating it from Russian) and I don't know what it means. Could someone familiar with visas explain it?

Russian skaters will have to obtain U.S. visas abroad said Alexander Gorshkov. The federation is working on getting visas for those skaters who need one to enter the U.S. for Skate America.

Горшков: российским фигуристам придется получать визы США за границей https://rsport.ria.ru/20210927/ffkkr-1752065921.html
I guess they mean that the skaters will have to go to another country (for example Finland), and try to get a visa from the US consular services there. Since the services in Russia are so disrupted.

RoseRed

Russian skaters at Skate America

Women
  • Trusova - did US Classic, should be good
  • Sinitsyna - confirmed at test skates that she has her visa
  • Usacheva
Men
  • Danielian
  • Samsonov
Pairs
  • Pepeleva/Pleshkov - did John Nicks, have visas
  • Tarasova/Morozov - did Cranberry, should be good
  • Boikova/Kozlovskii
Dance
  • Morozov/Bagin - Annabelle is a US citizen, but not sure if Andrei has a visa
  • Zagorski/Guerreiro - both have other passports, so should be good I think

Last edited:

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Russian skaters at Skate America

Women
  • Trusova - did US Classic, should be good
  • Usacheva
  • Sinitsyna
Men
  • Danielian
  • Samsonov
Pairs
  • Pepeleva/Pleshkov - did John Nicks, have visas
  • Tarasova/Morozov - did Cranberry, should be good
  • Boikova/Kozlovskii
Dance
  • Morozov/Bagin - Annabelle is a US citizen, but not sure if Andrei has a visa
  • Zagorski/Guerreiro - both have other passports, so should be good I think
One of the other two women was reported to have stated at the Test Skates that she had her US visa and the other refused to answer the question. For the life of me, I can't recall which has it and which doesn't.

ETA - found the post! https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...or-and-senior-test-skates.108483/post-6052560

Sinitsyna has hers, Usacheva's status is unknown.

zoe111

I guess they mean that the skaters will have to go to another country (for example Finland), and try to get a visa from the US consular services there. Since the services in Russia are so disrupted.
This is correct because in the most recent diplomatic spat, the US closed consular services for visa processing in Russia

Ka3sha

Channel 1 did a 19-minutes long mini-documentary interview with Mark Kondratiuk, after he secured the third spot at Nebelhorn

Another interview with Mark - for Sport24 (a great one!)

And with Svetlana Sokolovskaya

Also, they did another video about Tarasova/Morozov new SP and Team Tutberidze working on it

love_skate2011

Banned Member
The goal of Kostornaia should not be just to win, but she needs to beat La Tuk
Coz if Tuk is ahead of her in this competition then her stocks will plumment.

If Kostornaia cant even beat a has been skater which isnt that competitive
then that's telling of her Olympics chances.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
The goal of Kostornaia should not be just to win, but she needs to beat La Tuk
Coz if Tuk is ahead of her in this competition then her stocks will plumment.

If Kostornaia cant even beat a has been skater which isnt that competitive
then that's telling of her Olympics chances.
Tuk is not a "has been skater" nor a "not that competitive skater". She is the current world silver medalist. She has a fairly consistent 3A and she has landed quad toe in practice (I hope she lands one in a competition soon). That is not a "non competitive" skater.

Kostornaia will need to win a bunch of competitions leading into the Russian nationals and medal there to improve her chances.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information