From Russia With Love [#38]: Fall/Winter 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cherub721

YEAH!
Panfilova and Rylov got more +5s than both the top 2. That's crazy impressive for someone with no SBS... their lifts/twist /throws are so good.

Maybe they can pull a Zabijako and accomplish more than I thought possible (thinking back to when they would do 2sal and throw 2axel but at least they had a sbs 3toe). And P&R are even better pairs skaters than Z&E.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
When I read that Sherbokova had withdrawn, I went to re-watch a video of her FS for this season. It was lovely, of course, but I did notice one thing. She is flexible and gets pulls her free leg up quite nicely. However, then she just lets it plop down to the ice. It was peculiar to me. Then I thought perhaps that is what everyone did. So, I decided to look at Sasha Cohen. Nope.....her leg went down with control and purpose and beauty. Oh and I forgot those lovely pointed feet. The tricks are exciting, but the gorgeous skating and beauty of someone like Sasha, Michelle & Kostner is missed by me.

bladesofgorey

Flip/lutz pre-rotation at Russian test skates:
Kostornaya
Shcherbakova
Trusova
By how many degrees each of the girls pre-rotates?
what are we even looking at here? Yes some of the skaters rotate more to forward at lift-off (those skaters move into the crossed h position as they leave the ice) and some skaters rotate on the pick only about 1/4 (and have a fairly straight free leg at the moment of take-off). Neither is considered wrong technique, just different, but that aside, these images don't even show the moment of flight so I am not sure what you are asking us to examine?

NadezhdaNadya

Banned Member
what are we even looking at here? Yes some of the skaters rotate more to forward at lift-off (those skaters move into the crossed h position as they leave the ice) and some skaters rotate on the pick only about 1/4 (and have a fairly straight free leg at the moment of take-off). Neither is considered wrong technique, just different, but that aside, these images don't even show the moment of flight so I am not sure what you are asking us to examine?
Hi. :) These are the exact moments when each of the girls starts rotating in the air.

starrynight

So excited for Tuktamysheva's win!

Thought Kostornaya was great too. I know there were some technical issues, but thought the program was fab. I hope that Kostornaya still doesn't plan on retiring in just over a year's time because that would be a real shame for the sport. I think she has a lot of potential.

As for Trusova, I can understand why they have so many quad in the programs, because the maths is in her favour if she can land some of them.

But I think this is the season for skaters to have growing pains. There's no GPF, probably no Euros or maybe no Worlds. So rough patches will go under the radar.

starrynight

By the way just saw this interview: https://fs-gossips.com/daniil-gleikhengauz-eteri-georgievna-is-our-nutritionist/

Choice quote:

Daniil Gleikhengauz: The coach’s wish to change this weight. But if, for example, you have a weight of 47 kg, and you are told that with your height your weight should be 46 and a half for six months, then no one says that tomorrow you need to come with a weight of 46,5kg.
They tell you: here you go, seven days – it’s not a big problem to lose weight a hundred grams per day. Without the need for any prohibited methods.

Probably a lot of training centres are like this, but it's always interesting how open Sambo 70 are about these things. I always wonder how setting strict weigh limits on 13, 14,15, 16 year olds actually works given how much kids grow and develop at those ages simply due to nature.

Natanielle825

I hope that Kostornaya still doesn't plan on retiring in just over a year's time because that would be a real shame for the sport.
She seems decided. I don't blame her, but it's made me less invested in her. We're probably not seeing an artist at the beginning of her journey, but a precocious child whose career will culminate next year with potentially more mediocre programs and that will be it. As far as watching her skate, not the rest of her life obviously.
Side note, the BES commentator seemed awfully confident there would be a europeans and worlds this year when there is literally no indication that that will be possible. All these skaters are training really hard for nationals, but its probably just for more medals, not to make any kind of team that has anywhere to go.

muffinplus

Wow Kozlovski is getting a lot of hate for his reaction after the free skate.. I mean it wasn't super classy maybe but seemed like an emotional reaction more than anything..mI am surprised Boikova/Kozlovski have so many haters now

mjb52

Boikova got a lot of hate for one of her instagram posts earlier in the year so maybe people have been waiting for an excuse to get mad at Kozlovski too. I think sometimes people forget these are just teenagers. And also athletes - of course they want to win. They're no different than football players (both kinds) or runners or anything else.

muffinplus

Boikova got a lot of hate for one of her instagram posts earlier in the year so maybe people have been waiting for an excuse to get mad at Kozlovski too. I think sometimes people forget these are just teenagers. And also athletes - of course they want to win. They're no different than football players (both kinds) or runners or anything else.
Yeah Boikova is now Russophobic or something according to haters... I guess it's because of the Crimea comments she made? And arrogant as well. I am just surprised how fast they went from favorites to being hated

Cherub721

YEAH!
What did Boikova say?

I mean it's been obvious to me that Dmitri thinks very highly of himself for a while lol. I don't mind the attitude as long as you can back it up on the ice. Which he absolutely does right now. It's like Plushenko or Trankov. It's a little early in his career to be thinking that way but he's super talented. He knows the potential that they have and the history of pairs skating and the place that they could have in it. He has big reactions and emotions to everything that happens on the ice good or bad. I get it. If he starts messing up in competition and doesn't show humility then it will get tiresome fast.

Bigbird

Yeah Boikova is now Russophobic or something according to haters... I guess it's because of the Crimea comments she made? And arrogant as well. I am just surprised how fast they went from favorites to being hated
Nine day wonder it will pass. Just like the hate for Kostornaia when she left Eteri. Same old same old.

Bigbird

What did Boikova say?

I mean it's been obvious to me that Dmitri thinks very highly of himself for a while lol. I don't mind the attitude as long as you can back it up on the ice. Which he absolutely does right now. It's like Plushenko or Trankov. It's a little early in his career to be thinking that way but he's super talented. He knows the potential that they have and the history of pairs skating and the place that they could have in it. He has big reactions and emotions to everything that happens on the ice good or bad. I get it. If he starts messing up in competition and doesn't show humility then it will get tiresome fast.
He knows he is just a piece of meat in the Russian figure skating factory and as such he made an emotional outburst. His partner is just better at holding her tongue. He will learn.

muffinplus

What did Boikova say?

She made an Instagram post about the dilapidated state of things when she was on vacation in Crimea... I am not sure if that was that got the hate started.

Boikova is also getting hate for her reactions when she loses that are seen as arrogance ( which of course to me sounds like typical BS .. her reactions seem entirely normal) and also some people saying she is jealous of Mishima & Gallaiamov (more bs if you ask me)

Last edited:

muffinplus

By the way just saw this interview: https://fs-gossips.com/daniil-gleikhengauz-eteri-georgievna-is-our-nutritionist/

Choice quote:

Daniil Gleikhengauz: The coach’s wish to change this weight. But if, for example, you have a weight of 47 kg, and you are told that with your height your weight should be 46 and a half for six months, then no one says that tomorrow you need to come with a weight of 46,5kg.
They tell you: here you go, seven days – it’s not a big problem to lose weight a hundred grams per day. Without the need for any prohibited methods.

Probably a lot of training centres are like this, but it's always interesting how open Sambo 70 are about these things. I always wonder how setting strict weigh limits on 13, 14,15, 16 year olds actually works given how much kids grow and develop at those ages simply due to nature.

The Eteri group needs a nutritionist.. I never thought they put their athletes on starvation diets (but rather that there is ignorance or maybe a lack of knowledge about nutrition) and don't want to rehash the topic again...but losing 100 g per day...I am not sure it works quite as simple as that either. I am not an nutritionist either but it just sounds ignorant to me.

hanca

Values her privacy
seems decided. I don't blame her, but it's made me less invested in her. We're probably not seeing an artist at the beginning of her journey, but a precocious child whose career will culminate next year with potentially more mediocre programs and that will be it. As far as watching her skate, not the rest of her life obviously.
Side note, the BES commentator seemed awfully confident there would be a europeans and worlds this year when there is literally no indication that that will be possible. All these skaters are training really hard for nationals, but its probably just for more medals, not to make any kind of team that has anywhere to go.
One never knows. She may not be as certain herself. Panfilova said a few years ago that she wasn’t planning to skate long enough to get to seniors and now she is in seniors...

Polaris

She seems decided. I don't blame her, but it's made me less invested in her. We're probably not seeing an artist at the beginning of her journey, but a precocious child whose career will culminate next year with potentially more mediocre programs and that will be it. As far as watching her skate, not the rest of her life obviously.
Kostornaia is the most artistic senior skater right now, and one of the best ever. I rather watch a great skater for a few years than a mediocre skater for many years.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
Ohhhhh la laaaaaa

First off I rarely come into this thread but needed to after watching the Russian pair short program. Who is that hottie that won the short program. Are they straight from juniors? And when can I sync my teeth into him?

And I was so team Johnny, the whole time I’m like wow he is the star and she needs to grow a little bit more and then Tara says at the end of the program how she was the one who made the team and Johnny respectfully disagreed. That dude is soooooo good. You know I like to find all of my affairs with Russian pairs men! So there’s that.....

mjb52

I think Boikova and Kozlovskii have the sort of aspiring intellectual vibe that can annoy people, but I think it's extremely cute. They're just kids. I also think skating is missing a bit of fire and personality so seeing Dima so passionate is nice to me. There is so much drama with the coaches but the intense scrutiny of the skaters can seem to make them afraid to say or do the wrong thing. It's a really interesting dynamic. I like when skaters are respectful of their competitors and I don't necessarily want to see another Pasha in terms of the krazy drama vibe but I also think it's fine to want to win and show it. I also think the site that most of us have access to in terms of seeing what Russian fans say is pretty sketch so I try to take anything I see there with an entire jar of salt.

Last edited:

Aerobicidal

Shut that door.
Ohhhhh la laaaaaa

First off I rarely come into this thread but needed to after watching the Russian pair short program. Who is that hottie that won the short program. Are they straight from juniors? And when can I sync my teeth into him?

And I was so team Johnny, the whole time I’m like wow he is the star and she needs to grow a little bit more and then Tara says at the end of the program how she was the one who made the team and Johnny respectfully disagreed. That dude is soooooo good. You know I like to find all of my affairs with Russian pairs men! So there’s that.....
Mishina and Galliamov started skating together in 2017. Before that, she skated with some dude named Mirzoev who allegedly (or maybe confirmedly) dumped her for being too big.

This is their second senior season. Last year, they were known on FSU for having an obsessive fan who polluted a bunch of threads with claims they were already Russia's #1 pair team.

This is their first season being coached by Moskvina.

As juniors, they had a really good SP to "Party Like a Russian." I saw it live in Zagreb.

So far, their SP this season is my favorite pairs program of the year.

As for syncing teeth, I guess you could bring a picture of Galliamov to your cosmetic dentistry clinic?

Cherub721

YEAH!
Exactly. They are just meat. The federation has zero loyalty. B/K were probably stressing over losing their position.

Why should they have "loyalty" as such? Last year B/K were allowed to beat T/M when the latter made mistakes, now M/G have been allowed to beat B/K when they don't skate clean. If loyalty means protocol judging then B/K would still be stuck at #2. Actually I think they are the federation's favorite but can't say for sure because we've never seen them all clean in the same competition.

Ohhhhh la laaaaaa

Alexander Galliamov. World junior champion with Anastasia Mishina. They won GP France and got bronze at GPF last year but got fourth at nationals and didn't make the Euro team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information