From Russia With Love [#38]: Fall/Winter 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

aka_gerbil

Rooting for the Underdogs
I've always been critical of La Tuk's ice coverage and speed, but you cannot fault her jump technique, it's wonderful because she is coached by the best jump technician in the business.

I was going to say there is plenty to critique about her skating, but not her jump technique. I agree she generally has the best jump technique of anyone competing right now. She is often cited as the textbook example of how one is to properly execute them. Her jumps are all rooted in proper technique and are not dependent upon whipping around and contorting a prepubescent body

Cherub721

YEAH!
Oh God poor Anna. :( I hope it's nothing too bad and she can get back to training soon I'm the one hundred percent by Nationals. Everyone is just so beaten up by this year what a mess what a disaster what a tragedy. Sometimes I think some of these great athletes should just take two season off and then come back next year and see if things are better.

It could be worse for Anna this could have happened right before Nationals Europeans worlds or Olympics.

It's also unfathomable to think that no EG girls are at this Grand Prix. She could have really used Alina this season especially after the departures of Sasha and aliona.

In theory, people are not supposed to go anywhere if they show any symptoms of YKW, so it could really be that she just has a minor cold, but because it's technically "symptoms" she's not allowed to attend - even though, under normal circumstances, a skater would probably skate unless the symptoms were very severe. I am not sure how strict the Russian fed is being though, given that Samodurova skated the SP at test skates with a temperature.

It is pretty wild that Eteri has no lady at Cup of RUSSIA. When I first read that I was like "no, she has Trus... I mean Kost... oh wow, she really doesn't." :lol: Funny to think if Alina competed and skated like she did at GPF last December, she would be right in there.

NAOTMAA

I've always been critical of La Tuk's ice coverage and speed, but you cannot fault her jump technique, it's wonderful because she is coached by the best jump technician in the business.
I always find Liza's movement on ice fascinating. The way she carries herself (most noticably her arms) she sometimes looks like a beginner that just started, moving so carefully so she doesn't trip and fall. She always looks like she's concentrating real hard. It's why to me she never looks like she's "in the zone" regardless of how easy she sometimes makes her jumps look.

Last edited:

Scott512

In theory, people are not supposed to go anywhere if they show any symptoms of YKW, so it could really be that she just has a minor cold, but because it's technically "symptoms" she's not allowed to attend - even though, under normal circumstances, a skater would probably skate unless the symptoms were very severe. I am not sure how strict the Russian fed is being though, given that Samodurova skated the SP at test skates with a temperature.

It is pretty wild that Eteri has no lady at Cup of RUSSIA. When I first read that I was like "no, she has Trus... I mean Kost... oh wow, she really doesn't." :lol: Funny to think if Alina competed and skated like she did at GPF last December, she would be right in there.
True about the illness.

Eteri would have libet but she's not ready yet.

Sasha is probably pissed off she's in third place after the SP and will probably take it out on everybody tomorrow!

NadezhdaNadya

Banned Member
True about the illness.

Eteri would have libet but she's not ready yet.

Sasha is probably pissed off she's in third place after the SP and will probably take it out on everybody tomorrow!
Why is she third though? Elizaveta fell and had only 3-2 combination.

hanca

Values her privacy
So many people here talk about the great jump technique that Tuktamysheva has, but if her technique was so great, she wouldn’t have to constantly double her triples. I don’t remember when it was the last time I saw her skate a program with the full amount of triples - seven triples FS (in her case she could actually do eight triples FS because she has triple axel). There is always one of two jump that is doubled and we have six triples FS. Or is it lack of mathematical education (hers and Mishin’s) that they don’t understand that she needs to do all her triples?

caseyedwards

So many people here talk about the great jump technique that Tuktamysheva has, but if her technique was so great, she wouldn’t have to constantly double her triples. I don’t remember when it was the last time I saw her skate a program with the full amount of triples - seven triples FS (in her case she could actually do eight triples FS because she has triple axel). There is always one of two jump that is doubled and we have six triples FS. Or is it lack of mathematical education (hers and Mishin’s) that they don’t understand that she needs to do all her triples?

Having amazing technique doesn’t mean you never make a mistake!! It’s still incredibly difficult stuff!!

Meoima

If I remember correctly it was 2019 season she had some clean triples programs though? My mind is kind of a mess now. The whole thing seems like happened from a long time ago.

syzygy

Her technique may look better, but it's not optimal physics wise. She doesn't use her arms enough. I would like to add I do not advocate the extreme arm usage that many of Eteri's students use. Additionally, she likely gets in her head a lot. I have seen skaters who have consistently perfect jumps and then **** up when they're competing. It's not very unusual, but sports are as much mental as they are physical. If you can't handle it, you shouldn't be regarded as the best.

Edit: watch her axel. Her arms are dead. I don't know how she lands it, to be honest. She doesn't use them at all.

hanca

Values her privacy
If I remember correctly it was 2019 season she had some clean triples programs though? My mind is kind of a mess now. The whole thing seems like happened from a long time ago.
She had clean triples programs, but how many triples there actually was? So either she is aiming at six triples programs, or she is doubling jumps. Doing six triples when she is allowed eight is stupid, so my only guess must be that she doubles it accidentally.

hanca

Values her privacy
So then while she has the physical aspect down the mental aspect is not there! It never really has been that much. I remember her first jr GP season! Doing bad in short programs every time
At the last nationals, she had four jumps in the FS underrotated. Will you attribute that to her mental aspects too, or is it possible that while her jumps actually look pretty, her technique probably isn’t “the best in the world”, as some posters here think? I don’t deny that Mishin is very likely one of the best, if not the best, jump technician in the world. But that doesn’t mean that every student of his has the best jump technique. Look at Samodurova!

Natanielle825

I wasn't saying her technique was wrong just different. And I say I wish her jumps were better as in execution not technique. When she lands the triple axel she always makes mistakes on other jumps. Lots of doubles and turn outs. She just doesn't do the highest content in her programs. Maybe she can do all the triples by themselves really well. But she hardly does triple triples and or even skates a clean watered down program.

NAOTMAA

I'm no fan of Trusova's, but it makes me :mad: that Ladies can't do quads in the SP.
I'm certain the Russian fed. did petition the ISU to allow it a season or two ago although I don't see any indication it will happen any time soon. Maybe if Alysa Liu is able to keep hers after puberty and Rika unleashes her (she's still practicing it right?) the USFSA and Japanese will support it and then perhaps it will happen but I don't see the ISU changing the rule when only the Russians are petitioning for it.

On a separate note when did they start allowing the 3A for ladies in the short? Wasn't it the Japanese fed. that petitioned when Mao was skating or was it earlier?

caseyedwards

At the last nationals, she had four jumps in the FS underrotated. Will you attribute that to her mental aspects too, or is it possible that while her jumps actually look pretty, her technique probably isn’t “the best in the world”, as some posters here think? I don’t deny that Mishin is very likely one of the best, if not the best, jump technician in the world. But that doesn’t mean that every student of his has the best jump technique. Look at Samodurova!
That’s strange as she is really not an urer! I would have to watch that again and maybe get into some controversial topics

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
No one should have to petition for it, IMO: the ISU should have the same rules for Ladies' and Men's skating, and I think that should include the PCS factoring as well, especially with the number of Ladies skaters with quads, 3A's, 3/3's that aren't 3T/3T.

hanca

Values her privacy
That’s strange as she is really not an urer! I would have to watch that again and maybe get into some controversial topics
I don’t believe the judges marked four underrotations unfairly. She did try the quad toe and 3A, so there it is understandable that things may not have worked out and resulted in underrotating. But she also underrotated 3F and 3Lo. I know you will say things can go wrong, but for a skater with ‘the best technique in the world’, surely that shouldn’t happen? Or, maybe, she actually doesn’t have the best technique. It is her coach’s name that makes people believe she does...

hanca

Values her privacy
I'm no fan of Trusova's, but it makes me :mad: that Ladies can't do quads in the SP.
The rules will change eventually. The more ladies can do quads, the more push will be to change it. Russia is doing their part, it would help if there were a few more from the USA and Japan.

Scott512

And now Medevedeva tested positive for YKW:

I'll be surprised if it's not the case with Shcherbakova as well. And shouldn't Gleikhengauz and Dudakov be in quarantine? What a mess.
Sorry for Zhenya. I was thinking the same thing about Anna. I hope she doesn't have covid-19 but if she does it's easier for athletes or so it seems to get over covid than it is to get over pneumonia or bronchitis.

Bigbird

I really don't like S/K's free music and how did that rotational lift got positive GOE? I enjoyed Z/G's free a lot tho.
The program is such a miss-fit for them, they don't have the attitude to sell that kind of dance. The token fast part was embarrassing and the slow part was dull. But maybe it's injuries but it just doesn't sit on them well, IMHO. Oh well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information