From Russia With Love [#38]: Fall/Winter 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tinami Amori

In Russian ladies singles what happened to Ksenia and Gubanova this year?
Goubanova, if i remember correctly a few mentions in russian chats, had some kind of health issues, maybe a minor injury, which hindered her training + she is not on any teams and St. Petersburg had more restriction on rinks than Moscow. Perhaps she also (or just) did not had a chance to practice.

Sinitsyna was injured. Then people (on russian chats) mentioned that Panova, her coach, was not well "with something" (not ********). Then Panova announced that Sinitsyna will skate in the later Russian Cups. And last week I read on a Russian Chat (made of skaters and rink-mothers) that Sinitsyna was seen on several occasions in the last few months skating/practicing together with Tarakanova at the Army of Skaters rink. Of course i don't have official links since it came from chats.

Last edited:

LoopCombo

I didn't even think of the international aspect of things but she hasn't done an international event since she was 15. An absolute crime from the Russian Federation. I wouldn't blame her for leaving or many of the other Russian ladies because they have no chance. I'm hoping she goes to Canada if she leaves Russia and that's not even a certainty at this point.

I don’t know if that’s remotely possible or realistic, but Canada needs her!

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
Oh, come on, that’s just greedy. You had Osmond recently. Let have some other countries have their turn. The last time we had a lady get a medal at worlds was at 1954. Wouldn’t you say that it is our turn, now?
Is your “we” Czechia or the UK?

Scott512

I don’t know if that’s remotely possible or realistic, but Canada needs her!
That's the country Gubanova should go to if she transfers and not some innocuous country in figure skating like Belarus or Latvia. I suppose I suppose Ukraine could be an option. Or Estonia which is close to St. Petersburg Russia which is where Nastya lives with her parents and I believe two younger siblings. The question is wherever she goes would she want to leave her siblings and parents? That's not just a figure skating decision or a career decision it's a life decision and a big one. Nastya hasn't been outside of Russia for figure skating in 2 years. It's ridiculous. Hopefully she makes the right decision. But no matter whether she stays or goes Nastya needs to be skating again in competitions even if she's only a third-tier Russian senior at this point. Being a third chair or a for steer Russian Lady for that matter is still pretty damn good.

Scott512

Goubanova, if i remember correcting few mentions in russian chats, had some kind of health issues, maybe a minor injury, which hindered her training + she is not on any teams and St. Petersburg had more restriction on rinks than Moscow. Perhaps she also (or just) did not had a chance to practice.

Sinitsyna was injured. Then people (on russian chats) mentioned that Panova, her coach, was not well "with something" (not ********). Then Panova announced that Sinitsyna will skate in the later Russian Cups. And last week I read on a Russian Chat (made of skaters and rink-mothers) that Sinitsyna was seen on several occasions in the last few months skating/practicing together with Tarakanova at the Army of Skaters rink. Of course i don't have official links since it came from chats.
Your post may well be the reality of the situation for both girls. We know it's a Lost season. I don't want to see these two girls careers lost too.

LoopCombo

Oh, come on, that’s just greedy. You had Osmond recently. Let’s allow some other countries to have their turn. The last time we had a lady get a medal at worlds was at 1954. Wouldn’t you say that it is our turn, now?

I’m not from Canada — But I did think selfishly that if Gubanova switched to Canada, it would give me someone far more enjoyable to watch at Skate Canada, 4 Continents, and Worlds than they have at the moment.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Estonia (or May be Finland?) seems like a possibility for Gubanova. It is close to St.Petersburg. Estonians may know Russian, although I think these days the young people study English.

About being away from family, many people do that in pursuit of a career goal. Plushenko was just 12 (?) when he went to Mishin, a long way from where his family was. Yuko Kawaguti even switched country.

In Russia she won’t even get a Grand Prix spot. In a smaller country she could go to worlds and Olympics every time. She is too talented to just let her career end.

Last edited:

LoopCombo

Estonia (or May be Finland?) seems like a possibility for Gubanova. It is close to St.Petersburg. Estonians may know Russian, although I think these days the young people study English.

About being away from family, many people do that in pursuit of a career goal. Plushenko was just 12 (?) when he went to Mushin, a long way from where his family was. Yuko Kawaguti even switched country.

In Russia she won’t even get a Grand Prix spot. In a smaller country she could go to worlds and Olympics every time. She is too talented to just let her career end.

I like Emmi Peltonen of Finland already! It would be nice to see Gubanova and other talented Russians skating for countries that don’t already have exciting ladies skaters.

Sylvia

TBD
Well, it's up to the other countries to decide whether or not to accept a non-citizen to represent them (like Poland did for Kurakova). Some small federations, like Ireland, have very strict requirements when it comes to the eligiblity of their skaters... which is commendable, IMO.

greenapple

What is the downside to having more than one quality skaters?
There isn't one. Estonia would probably love to have another really good ladies skater.
It would be nice to see Gubanova and other talented Russians skating for countries that don’t already have exciting ladies skaters.
While some are against athletes switching countries, I would rather that each person has the chance to fulfill their potential as opposed to being lost in the shuffle and retiring without ever having had that opportunity.

Scott512

About being away from family, many people do that in pursuit of a career goal. Plushenko was just 12 (?) when he went to Mishin, a long way from where his family was. Yuko Kawaguti even switched country.

Estonia would be a great choice for Nastya. Estonia is part of the old Soviet Union and it has Russian culture in it.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
There isn't one. Estonia would probably love to have another really good ladies skater.

While some are against athletes switching countries, I would rather that each person has the chance to fulfill their potential as opposed to being lost in the shuffle and retiring without ever having had that opportunity.
My question was in response to Sylvia’s post.
I agree with your post. I have nothing against skaters switching countries in order to fulfill their dreams. They can only do it while they are young. Their windows are narrow. The more skaters can realize their potential the better.

Last edited:

Theatregirl1122

Needs a nap
My question was in response to Sylvia’s post.
I agree with your post. I have nothing against skaters switching countries in order to fulfill their dreams. They can only do it while theyare young. Their windows are narrow. The more skaters can realize their potential the better.

Because Emmi Peltonen and Eva-Lotta Kiibus also have dreams they might like to fulfill? And they had to reach they level they are at without the formidable backing of the Russian Federation or the lifestyle of a top Russian skater. For a Russian skater to just waltz in and take opportunities from a home grown skater who has worked very hard to be able to qualify for those opportunities without the benefit of the Russian system is the height of privilege and unfairness.

It's one thing for skaters to change countries to skate for a country where they have ties and that doesn't have a program of their own. In that case, having a skater may help to grow the program in that country. But this is not a value neutral thing. Russian skaters and skaters from federations with far fewer resources are not playing on the same playing field. There's more at stake here than just one skater's "dreams".

alchemy void

Post-its for the win.
Even aside from Kiibus' achievments, Gerli Liinamäe and Kristina Škuleta-Gromova have both improved considerably the past season and either will be quite competitive at Euros. Not to mention Niina Petrokina, a very promising junior.

I'm fairly chill about country-hopping, but the Estonian ladies are quite strong right now, and I'd be rather annoyed to see a Russian hop over there now.

Last edited:
J

Jeschke

Even aside from Kiibus' achievments, Gerli Liinamäe and Kristina Škuleta-Gromova have both improved considerably the past season and either will be quite competitive at Euros. Not to mention Niina Petrokina, a very promising junior.

I'm fairly chill about country-hopping, but the Estonian ladies are quite strong right now, and I'd be rather annoyed to see a Russian hop over there now.
Thank you.

LoopCombo

Canada? But I think she will rather skate for Belarus or even Ukraine. Why Canada?

Only because Canada currently has multiple international competition spots, including Grand Prix home invite spots, and a huge talent drought right now in the ladies field. I can’t think of another fed that has so many spots and such average skaters to fill them. Sorry, I know they are doing their best and some are young, but it’s just less exciting to watch them but would be fun to watch someone like Gubanova — maybe even for the Canadian fans.

Japanfan

Canada? But I think she will rather skate for Belarus or even Ukraine. Why Canada?

I don't know how much financial assistance Skate Canada offers athletes beyond funding the national team. I'm sure there are scholarships and various initiatives, but SFAIK, that doesn't mean a skater can rely on Skate Canada to pay their expenses just because they decide to skate for Canada.

Evgeniafan

I didn't even think of the international aspect of things but she hasn't done an international event since she was 15. An absolute crime from the Russian Federation. I wouldn't blame her for leaving or many of the other Russian ladies because they have no chance. I'm hoping she goes to Canada if she leaves Russia and that's not even a certainty at this point.
She would be a star in Canada. But if she wants the Olympic season, I would pick a country that would give her citizenship quickly. Maybe Romania???

RoseRed

I think the two biggest issues with Canada would be the funding situation (IIRC, at least one of the main funding sources requires the skater to be a Permanent Resident), and also citizenship. She wouldn't be able to get it for 2022, and she'd need to move to Canada for a while at least, which would be a big change in culture/language/training, etc that she might not be interested in.

Of course there are the advantages of a big fed, including host GP spots, potential in team events, etc.

Scott512

She would be a star in Canada. But if she wants the Olympic season, I would pick a country that would give her citizenship quickly. Maybe Romania???
interesting thought about Romania and how she could get quick citizenship there.
My first two choices would remain Estonia because it's so close to where her family lives in St Petersburg Russia or Canada because of the great figure skating culture they have there and they would have many opportunities to skate on the Grand Prix level for Nastya.

I don't think Nastya would have any trouble living in Canada or the culture change because she speaks fluent English. I would like to see something happen for this girl very beautiful skater. It's still a mystery as to what happened to her this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information