From Russia With Love (#36) Spring into Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amy L

Are Tarasova/Morozov the only pair doing one of the training camps?

The quote from Mozer is "Zhenya and Volodya will be in Novogorsk with the rest of the team." I took it to mean the rest of the Mozer team, but she could be talking about the Russian team in general. It's too short of a quote to be specific.

As for the rest of the pairs on the national team, we already know that Moskvina's group isn't going to the training camps. Dmitriev said that he only has one junior pair on the reserve team, and apparently only the main team is allowed in Novogorsk. He's looking into other rinks outside of the Moscow area.

Ka3sha

As for the rest of the pairs on the national team, we already know that Moskvina's group isn't going to the training camps. Dmitriev said that he only has one junior pair on the reserve team, and apparently only the main team is allowed in Novogorsk. He's looking into other rinks outside of the Moscow area.

Dmitriev also said the rinks are opening in St Petersburg..
And this is a quote from IFS recent article:
No rinks are currently open in St. Petersburg, but a coach we spoke to said they are preparing the ice and expect to reopen shortly.

starrynight

Here's a video with Alena (outside at Novogorsk?), Anna is shown for a second.

While the national team skaters have not yet gone on the ice, but being on the Olympic base alone gives an incredibly positive attitude. Precautions are strict: distance on the rink, in locker rooms, dining rooms and rooms.

In Novogorsk, athletes will eat at separate tables, at the rink - no more than eight people, a quarantine base - neither Olympians nor personnel can leave.

I wonder how long this arrangement will proceed for? It's a big commitment for all staff and athletes not to leave.

I understand why Zhulin, if he has a young child, cannot commit to being apart from his family. Although, the young athletes with no commitments outside of sports will probably not mind as much.

Rina RUS

I'd say life is quiet here.

@barbarafan, you think my post is sad... I didn't mean to say something sad. When I say "I don't remember anything worse than that", I mean that maybe the situation could be worse, but it seems to be not bad. I have no right to say that our situation is better than the situation somewhere else. Anyway we have some problems or troubles - I tried to remember those negative posts which I had seen.

It seems I almost don't see bad stories about hospitals now. More often I see something like: "We want to work!" These people are angry, but it seems they still have enough money to pay for their internet and for their food. As far as I can see the streets are quiet (even though the police isn't controlling every door).
Some people write that they don't want to wear masks. I think the situation is not so bad, if those angry posters which I see, don't have more important things to argue about. :)

DobrinFan

I wonder how long this arrangement will proceed for? It's a big commitment for all staff and athletes not to leave.

The rhythmic gymnasts are already on month 2 of strict isolation. They do all their practices in their rooms (one person/room), only leaving to go to the cafeteria (one at a table) and on walks (with appropriate distance). The arrangement is for 3 weeks per the article with Buianova until the rinks are opened, Dmitriev Sr said 3-4 weeks. If it last longer, it last longer but at least they have ice and not restricted to practice in their rooms without a gym like the gymnasts were.

starrynight

The rhythmic gymnasts are already on month 2 of strict isolation. They do all their practices in their rooms (one person/room), only leaving to go to the cafeteria (one at a table) and on walks (with appropriate distance).

Honestly it sounds like prison for the gymnasts.

barbarafan

@barbarafan, you think my post is sad... I didn't mean to say something sad. When I say "I don't remember anything worse than that", I mean that maybe the situation could be worse, but it seems to be not bad. I have no right to say that our situation is better than the situation somewhere else. Anyway we have some problems or troubles - I tried to remember those negative posts which I had seen.

It seems I almost don't see bad stories about hospitals now. More often I see something like: "We want to work!" These people are angry, but it seems they still have enough money to pay for their internet and for their food. As far as I can see the streets are quiet (even though the police isn't controlling every door).
Some people write that they don't want to wear masks. I think the situation is not so bad, if those angry posters which I see, don't have more important things to argue about. :)
It is important to stay calm and quiet for a while until there are no cases around you and of course the masks are so important in case someone picks it up but does not exhibit symptoms yet.

Bellanca

With rinks gradually beginning to open up again and so many skaters looking forward to getting back to their training schedule, I feel confident they’ll find a way to make it work. The key to a successful training environment starts with mutual cooperation, responsible behavior and effective ice (time) management. All are crucial in making sure that everything runs smoothly. I’m very hopeful!

hanca

Values her privacy
Honestly it sounds like prison for the gymnasts.
If the prison brings medals, money and fame, I am pretty sure they are quite keen to be put into this prison. While they are practising, the rest of the world isn’t, so they will have a huge advantage.

Rina RUS

If the prison brings medals, money and fame, I am pretty sure they are quite keen to be put into this prison.

Many doctors don't even have an opportunity to go to the toilet when they need. Many doctors are grateful, if they get an opportunity not to contact with their families too often - even though they love their families too.

Many new rules "sound like prison". It is weird for many Russians, that people may take their dogs for a walk today, but people are not supposed to take for a walk their kids (if they live in a city and don't have their own yard). All those people keep living somehow.

Last edited:

barbarafan

Many doctors don't even have an opportunity to go to the toilet when they need. Many doctors are grateful, if they get an opportunity not to contact with their families too often - even though they love their families too.

Many new rules "sound like prison". It is weird for many Russians, that people may take their dogs for a walk today, but people are not supposed to take for a walk their kids (if they live in a city and don't have their own yard). All those people keep living somehow.
Thank God for all the PPL holding the hospitals together. The ones they lose must be taking a large toll.

taz'smum

'Be Kind' - every skater has their own story

The people I know in Moscow have been pushing the boundaries of the rules, and walking back and for to the shops repeatedly to get some exercise or walking around the blocks of apartments in their complex which in some cases can be up to a km around. It is the parks they are missing the most. Given the chances are way less of catching the v**us in open spaces, I really don't see why they don't open the parks. You are in much more danger in confined spaces such as the local supermarket.

hanca

Values her privacy
The people I know in Moscow have been pushing the boundaries of the rules, and walking back and for to the shops repeatedly to get some exercise or walking around the blocks of apartments in their complex which in some cases can be up to a km around. It is the parks they are missing the most. Given the chances are way less of catching the v**us in open spaces, I really don't see why they don't open the parks. You are in much more danger in confined spaces the local supermarket.
That’s not done only by people in Moscow. People in London do the same, and a few people here on the forum also admitted that they go to shop every three days, which also increases the risk as opposed to making one big shopping weekly or every other week.
I think it is natural that people are trying to push the rules a little bit. ‘What isn’t forbidden is allowed’ and pushing what cannot be proved...

Rina RUS

I just mean I don't think this "prison for the gymnasts" is worse than other places of deprivation of liberty. :)
(than other places of "self-isolation") :)

hanca

Values her privacy
I just mean I don't think this "prison for the gymnasts" is worse than other places of deprivation of liberty. :)
No, I think their current training conditions are probably very comparable to their ‘normal’ (pre-virus) training conditions. Even if in normal times they have the theoretical freedom to go where they want to go and do what they want to do, in reality being elite gymnasts means that they still spend so much time in gym, that they don’t go out much anyway. And as for doing in normal times what they want, being elite gymnasts put some serious restrictions on what they can or can’t do anyway.

starrynight

I just meant being in a room all alone all day and then eating alone is basically solitary confinement?

That would be hard for young people to endure. Although athletes work hard, the sporting process is quite social in many ways. Many interactions with coaches, trainers, team mates etc.

I know they are focused on the Olympics in 2021 etc but it still sounds awful.

High level sports is basically entertainment for people to watch on TV. But one does wonder what the human cost of this entertainment is.

Last edited:

starrynight

Yes but there can be an extremely ugly dark side of elite sports as well.

The money, politics and power of it can in some cases sully what it meant to be a noble endeavour. Without the people watching it on TV, the money and the political and national leverage gained from medals, I doubt these enormous government funded sports facilities would have a purpose.

Children in elite senior sports will never sit comfortably with me.

Although I have to confess I am freaked out by rhythmic gymnastics. The sport just looks like every worst aspect of ladies skating rolled in with a compulsory eating disorder.

Last edited:

hanca

Values her privacy
High level sports is much more than that, for the athletes it is about pushing yourself to the limits of your potential. To achieve as much as possible.
Absolutely! Although for the rest of us, non-athletes, it counts as entertainment. It is amazing what the human body can achieve, especially when it is matched with a person who has strong will and a bit of luck. At this stage of my life, I prefer to watch though!

DobrinFan

Mishin's group in Kislovodsk: change in composition, concern for the road, meeting with Plushenko

On June 1, the center of FGBU South Sport opens in Kislovodsk. Skaters of the Russian team representing the groups of Alexei Mishin, Evgeni Plushenko, Evgeni Rukavitsyn and Svetlana Sokolovskaya will train here.

The Honored Coach of Russia Tatyana Mishina in a conversation with the correspondent of “Sport Day after Day” spoke about the nuances of the upcoming training camp. Until now, there is no certainty regarding the composition, on how to get to the base, what will be allowed in Kislovodsk, what not. And still, a full-fledged off-season, albeit with officially continuing its deadly march through the country, the coronavirus, is getting closer to its beginning.

“We still don’t know what to do with the road, how to get to Kislovodsk,” Mishina admitted. - Different parents - someone might want to take the child in a car. The question of the road is confusing. Now it’s not quite calm to fly by plane or by train. I have already seen how skaters of other groups settle at the base in Novogorsk: they live one at a time, they bring food to the door ...

- In Kislovodsk, most likely, it will be the same.

- Probably. And six people will ride. The coach will have to stand on the ice longer (smiles).

- How did the parents of your athletes react to the announcement of the start of training? Nobody worried, did everyone agree?

- Yes. Gulyakovs are generally enthusiasts and fans (smiles). Mom of Lisa [Tuktamysheva] proceeds from what the daughter will say - that’s right. She is already an adult girl, she knows better. In general, parents should trust the coach. Of course they are worried. But if they decided so, opened the bases, then the training should be resumed. I saw the guys, they are in good shape. Nobody, by the way, got better.

- And where did you manage to meet?

- They came to our country house.

- Whole group?

- Lisa [Tuktamysheva], Sonya [Samodurova], Nastya [Gulyakova], Gleb [Lutfullin] and Zhenya Semenenko. They looked good. Well done, that kept on self-isolation. Anyway, no matter how you do it remotely, this is an unusual mode. Two lessons per day: with Tatyana Nikolaevna Prokofieva and with the OFPists. As the concessions began, the guys began to go outside, practice there, at least ride a bike.

- There were doubts about who exactly to include in the composition of the group for a trip to Kislovodsk? For example, I was surprised at the presence of Andrei Lazukin, who had recently had knee surgery and who still cannot be trained on ice.

- I also saw this information on the Internet. But then a mistake crept in, because Zhenya Semenenko was not on the list. Alexey [Mishin] talked about this with Gorshkov (President of the FFKKR - “Sport Day after Day”), because by all the results Zhenya fits into the composition. But as for Lazukin, there is no exact information whether he will go or not. I didn’t specify with Alexey. Andrei now needs to do more physical training, to strengthen his knee.

- That is, in the final list instead of Lazukin, perhaps there will be Semenenko?

- Zhenya will definitely be. He was the fifth at the Russian Championship, a substitute for the World Cup, won the Final of the Cup of Russia (all among the youths. - "Sports Day after Day"). He just had a big break before last season, so he couldn’t get anywhere [because of the low rating]. But he spent the ending of the season well, he has four salchows, a sheepskin coat and a lutz. So he must go to the training camp. But according to Lazukin, I don’t know.

- Who is going to Kislovodsk from the coaching staff?

- Alexey Nikolaevich and Tatyana Prokofieva for sure. But I don’t know about others. Because we have a good physical fitness trainer, Yegor Chelyshkin, and a massage therapist went to the training camp with us for many years. We must finally understand how many people from each group are possible at the base.

- When it became known about the opening of federal bases, they immediately decided that you would go to Kislovodsk?

- Yes, we used to go to Kislovodsk just for the sake of OFP fees. A very nice place. Gorshkov asked where we would like to go. But in the same Novogorsk there is always a high occupancy - there is the Tutberidze group and other Moscow groups. Therefore, Alexei did not think about Kislovodsk for a long time.

- Evgeni Plushenko also drives his group there, because he remembers the joint training camp in Kislovodsk with Alexei Nikolaevich.

- Yes. I don’t know if Zhenya and Alexey will be able to meet, what orders will be established at the base. I know that Alexey, Zhenya, Sokolovskaya and Rukavitsyn will be in Kislovodsk.

- When will St. Petersburg manage to resume training?

- There is talk of July. But we are only talking about the main arena of Yubileiny, because the training rink has been dismantled. The ice rink in Igor is closed. Arthur Gachinsky said that for younger athletes, up to 16 years old, they are considering the option with "Sirius" (an educational center in Sochi. - "Sports Day after Day"). Maybe we'll go there. But only later. There is no exact information yet.

In the group of Alexei Mishin in Kislovodsk, world and European champion Elizaveta Tuktamysheva, European champion Sofia Samodurova, winner of the Russian Cup Final Anastasia Gulyakova, winner of the junior Grand Prix stage Gleb Lutfullin, winner of the Russian Cup final among juniors Yevgeny Semenenko should resume training.

Google translated
https://m.sportsdaily.ru/articles/sbory-figurnomu-kataniyu-2020

RoseRed

The people I know in Moscow have been pushing the boundaries of the rules, and walking back and for to the shops repeatedly to get some exercise or walking around the blocks of apartments in their complex which in some cases can be up to a km around. It is the parks they are missing the most. Given the chances are way less of catching the v**us in open spaces, I really don't see why they don't open the parks. You are in much more danger in confined spaces such as the local supermarket.
Because when they open them, there's a good chance that people will all go there and make it crowded enough to spread it. One of the parks in Toronto in a densely populated area looked like this after they opened parks again.

greenapple

I read that Toronto is now considering doing what New York has done with this park. Such a smart idea and great to see people adhering to the rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information