From Russia with Love [#31]: Winter to Spring 2019

ChiquitaBanana

I don't know about Russia, but don't think that most people in Canada would recognize current figure skating stars. And SFAIK, skaters are more broadly popular in Russia than in Canada.

Even though Tessa's and Scott's Moulin Rouge was re-broadcast after they won OG and it was a big item on the news, that was a year ago. Casual or non-skating fans who just saw the program once won't remember what they looked like, probably don't even remember their names.

And if previous stars like Stokjo or Chan walked through the downtown of any major Canadian town or city, I don't think they would be recognized by a lot of people - though skaters who come from small communities usually do have a lot of recognition in those communities.

I don't think this state of affairs is sad. Figure skating does have a small group of enthusiasts or serious fans. I prefer to say small rather than tiny.

Figure skating stars just aren't Wayne Gretzky - most Canadians would recognize him, I would think.

Also, figure skating has a larger fan base than some other sports. I would think a major figure skating competition would attract a larger audience than a major track and field meet or a major volleyball competition.

From my own personal experience working in the health field (thus talking to a lot of persons) Virtue/Moir, Stojko and Chan are household names.

Tinami Amori

There's a Russian saying: усруся,но не поддадуся. It pretty much sums up everything you say here: you know everything and have the final word on anything and everything, no matter what is being said. There's nothing to duscuss then, we should just listen to you

... there is another russian saying "дураку закон не писан" (there are no rules for a fool)... :p

;) the "most final word" (which matters) came from one of the mother's of one of the top Russian skaters:
I disagree too, as even Tiff gets recognized in Moscow supermarkets and asked for her autograph, yet she has nowhere near the fame of top level stars like Zagitova,Medvedeva,Tuktamysheva or Tutberidze. I teach Russians who now live here in Lyon, yet they know perfectly well who these people are!

hanca

Values her privacy
in a nutshell? i won't use the actual language used, but there is an old russian saying (in soft terms): "squeezing into other people's anal track without a soap"..
Can you write it in original and then translate it word for word, please. That’s sounds very interesting and potentially useful thing to learn, this Russian saying!

StasiyaGalustyanLove

Banned Member
I for one am very "relieved" Titanic Aroma has the tact not to post bad words about anal squeezing tracks, not only for miners here but also for Christian Adults. By the way, does this mean Ross Minor reads FUS? Wow.

I hope Nia turns off all social medias and stay at home praying, that is the way to fight evils weather they come from Tonia should be in the slammer Harding or mean people using their keyboards as nucular missles!

hanca

Values her privacy
no. i will send you a PM. but the phrase is too rude to post, given we have minors.
Thank you, Tinami! Being at this forum definitely is an educational experience! I love how everyone contributes a bit from their culture. Thought I am not sure if I ever have the opportunity to use this pearl, it is very interesting nevertheless. (My Russian friend refused to teach me any rude words, because apparently ‘we don’t speak this way’. )

Tinami Amori

I have so many questions as to why that would be 'an old Russian saying'. lol
because it's been used in various mentions since early 1900's... :lol:

LOL, sorry but that is actually comical to me. It is so over the top. There is no reason to bring it to that level of insult. Haters gonna hate.
... i have not used/heard that phrase in many years, but now got a reminder, given it was so frequently mentioned tonight. :p

hanca

Values her privacy
I would be quite happy if Medvedeva is sent to worlds. Zagitova versus Medvedeva, round two. Orser versus Tutberidze. I do think Zagitova will leave Tutberidze after this season, but I also think Tutberidze will manage to squeeze the maximum out of Zagitova for worlds 2019. My bets would be Zagitova will do better at worlds than Medvedeva.

Finsta

I would be quite happy if Medvedeva is sent to worlds. Zagitova versus Medvedeva, round two. Orser versus Tutberidze. I do think Zagitova will leave Tutberidze after this season, but I also think Tutberidze will manage to squeeze the maximum out of Zagitova for worlds 2019. My bets would be Zagitova will do better at worlds than Medvedeva.

Given the ridiculous PCS Zagitova gets.....

Tinami Amori

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information