From Russia with love [#29]: Spring 2018 and beyond

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mad for Skating

LOL, no, no crying. I'm old and have done enough crying during my life but not because of any skaters. I'm glad I got to see them live a couple of times though and wish them both the best of luck in future whatever they decide to do.

Haha I've been trying to cry less over skaters lately. It's just too hard to put that much emotion into something that's just supposed to be fun. I'll miss them like crazy, but life moves on. As Ksenia herself said, "You can't find a future while living in the past." I think that's very true.

(Of course Denis Ten got plenty of my tears recently, but that is completely different).

CaliSteve

Can we talk about Tuktamysheva's new twitter? (at least I'm pretty sure it's actually her? Adam Rippon and Jackie Wong are acting like it's really her) Her English is great and she's genuinely hilarious. I wish she'd gotten one sooner.

I also love how realistic she is about her skating and the competition in Russia. I hope her season goes well and she can make that world team again!

I love her Twitter account. I think she wants to follow in Adam's foot steps.

Ka3sha

This is a part of big interview with Volosozhar/Trankov about their book, past and future, I’ll try to translate it later today
Here’s the link
- How you decided to write your own book?
Max: People talked a lot about private life, some pieces started to pop up. Our friends suggested that we should write a book, and we started working on it. Tanya wrote a prologue and epilogue, one of our friends also helped us with it. Those, who know my character understand, how hard to was for us to do all of this. This book is mostly about myself, my family. I have a very interesting family - not only in sports or art. I tell about all my skating partners, my 'great' character, coaches, about all our programs and each costume. And also how Tatiana and I became an off-ice pair as well. Our next book will be about Tanya.
- What is your favorite program of yours?
Maxim: Jesus Christ Superstar, it was my dream - to skate to that music. And not only my dream came true, we won an OGM with that program.
Tatiana: My favorite program is "Bring Me to Life" by Evanescence. I am a gentle person, I like lyrical programs, for me it was easier to skate to it. I also like out LP to "Swan Lake" - I wanted to show different sides of myself.
Maxim: When we teamed up, Tatiana was our TES and I was responsible for artistry. But these two programs changed this, Tatiana played the main role there.
- Since you mentioned your olympic program, I have to ask - what happened to your yellow pants?
Maxim: They are at home, waiting for their faith, maybe the place at the museum. Not so long ago I decided to read comment on the Internet. Not about myself, but mostly about Tarasova/Morozov, with whom I'm working now. And there was one anonymous, who harshly criticized our costumes. Each of them was awful but those yellow pants were like a nightmare. Other people would have been offended, but I thought that it was cool - after all those years people were still talking about my yellow pants. People would hardly remember other costumes from that Olympics, but still remember those pants. And also my jacket from the SP to Masquerade Waltz
Tatiana: I remember, that fans in Japan supported us with yellow flags of the same color. And our SP costumes are now in the Olympic Museum in Lausanne.
Maxim: By the way, those yellow pants have their own secret. But I won't tell you about it. Probably I have just came up with a title for our new book - 'The secret of yellow pants'
- Not so long ago you competed on the ice and now Maxin started coaching Tarasova/Morozov, Russian leading team and 2018 olympians. How did this happened?
Maxim: It was not my initiative, it was their choice. We worked together in the past, for two months only , when they were moving from juniors to seniors. Tatiana and I just saw them on the ice at our camp in Italy - they were skating really great! We were watching at them and thinking - gosh, they were so good!
It was before the test skates, my shoulder was injured and I couldn't train. And the guys were moving to seniors and were going through hard times. Then I helped them to find the way out of this.
- But you stopped working with them then?
Maxim: I went on rehabilitation to Munich, Robin Szolkowy started working in our team. And Tatiana and I didn't know anything about our future plans. So the guys started working with Robin. Maybe I was hurt a little bit, but that's life.
- How you started working together again?
Maxim: After our coach, Nina Mozer, stopped working on the ice full-time, the guys had two options - a coach in the United States and me. They chose me.
- And you immediately agreed?
Maxim: No. They told me that they want to work with me right after Lp at the Olympics, but I ahem already started working on TV, doing commentary on MatchTV and 1st Channel, I worked in the field and quite liked it. We also had invitations from different shows.
- But you still chose coaching in the end?
Maxim: We had a long discussion with Tanya. I gave the answer only in May, three months after our talk with the guys. And I have to say that it turned out that everyone was ok with this decision - our coaching team, our federation.
- What does it mean to you?
Maxim: It's a challenge. We agreed on this: right now we are working for one season, if things don't work out, then I, Trankov, am a bad coach, I have failed. I will come back to my previous work, they will go their way with someone more professional. There's no offense - there are three more years until the Olympics, they have time.
- And what if things work out?
Maxim: Then we will work together till 2022
- How is it- to stand at the boards?
Maxim: I worked as a coach at the 'Ice Age. Kids', and that project helped me a lot. At first I was super nervous, even more than then I was skating myself. Only by the 4th episode I started to calm down - I learnt , how to talk with kids, I started feeling them.
- What's with Tarasova/Morozov's psychology?
Maxim: They are unpredictable. Their strong sides are , at the same time, their weaknesses. Right now I can explain all their results. They failed in the SP at Euros, but it motivated them and they were great in the free. Right now they are like the scales, and I have to find a right balance.
- What these 'scales' will show to the public this season?
Maxim: I didn't work with them on their SP this season, probably it will shine by the middle of the season. It's a fast and intensive program to rock music. To be honest, I didn't like that idea. But it was a challenge for them. And Evgenia has to become an overall skater. We chose the same way we went with Tanya in 2011/12 with our Evanescence program, when we focused on modern choreography. We worked with a Broadway choreographer then.
Right now everything depends on their physical strength - you can't stop skating to that program, you have to fly across the ice.
- And their LP?
Maxim: I like it a lot! And I see, that they also enjoy it. It's neoclassical, the main idea - black and white, yin and yang. The program is not about two particular persons, just two essences, who try to contact with each other despite all their differences. And at the end they become one.
- That's true, Zhenya and Vova are indeed very different
Maxim: That's why this program is absolutely theirs. They are very different, they have difficulties because of this. I'm teaching them to trust each other, not to let each other down, to support and not to demand anything. I connect them with that program, so they could entwined with each other like those yin and yang. Peter Tchernyshev did a great job with this program, I liked what he did. Zhenya Prisyazhny, young and very creative choreographer, also helped us with the choreo.

*am a little bit tired of his stream of consciousness, will continue tomorrow*

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
Didn't Trankov help out Mozer with T,/M earlier in their career?

I can see why they wouldn't want to uproot their lives, and working with Trankov keeps the rest of their on- and off-ice training relationships intact.

znhurston

Everyone is saying how great Moskvina is, and she did have a great results in the past, but it also doesn’t work for everyone. For example, I didn’t see much improvement in Efimova/Korovin who have been skating with Moskvina for a year. Mosknina also didn’t help much to Shevchenko/Bich, who skated with her for three years and eventually disappeared. And Bich used to look very promising at junior level.[/QUOTE]

I thought Efimova/Korovin were coached by Oleg Vasiliev? When did they go to Moskvina or is Vasiliev now coaching at Moskvina's new school in St. Petersburg?

Last edited:

mjb52

I looked all over for the music suggestion thread but couldn't find it! I just came across Liebeslied, composed and played by the violinist Fritz Kreisler https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jniNETA36Us and feel like it would be perfect for a Russian pair... it's even right about the right length for a free program, I think (maybe a bit short). Plus it was just in a famous anime according to 50% of the comments on the video, so it has a built-in fanbase. I guess it's a bit late for this season though!

zebraswan

Didn't Trankov help out Mozer with T,/M earlier in their career?

I can see why they wouldn't want to uproot their lives, and working with Trankov keeps the rest of their on- and off-ice training relationships intact.

Yes, he's the one who brought in Robin (who also was a newbie coach at that point). He choreographed for them as well...no, they weren't great programs, but considering what Tchernyshev did for them (Candyman), obviously bringing in a so-called professional didn't help much. And apparently Tchernyshev did Gubanova's "Take 5" which people are trashing all over FSO right now. Nobody gets it right all of the time, but you only get better at something with practice & experience.

Tinami Amori

I want to see Med and Jerry (the doggy) first minute video..... poor doggy was left alone. I so hope she brings him to Canada with her, now that she is settled in.
http://medvedevaevgeniya.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/n3-650x636.jpg

DobrinFan

President of the Federation of figure skating Russia Alexander Gorshkov denied the information that the Russian figure skater Sofya Polishchuk was beaten in Moscow. Earlier Mash channel in Telegram reported that the athlete was beaten by a friend after training. He allegedly tried to snatch the phone from her, struck several blows on his face and tried to strangle the girl.

"I instructed to understand the situation when we read this news. According to our information, nothing happened. Sophia was in training today, with her everything is ok, "- quotes Gorshkov's" RIA Novosti. "

https://www.championat.com/other/new...-porjadke.html

Well thank goodness for that.

Ka3sha

Vaytsekhovskaya’s interview with Orser, translated by FS-gossips
Brian, could you give an assessment of how you spent summer training with Medvedeva?

– I’m completely satisfied. I think, it is enough to say that both Zhenya and I flew to Moscow with a feeling of great anticipation. I want to show the programs, to show what we managed to do over the past months. I won’t say that we are talking about some kind of global changes, but these changes certainly happenes. In my opinion, Zhenya has greatly improved in skating, but this work, as you know, can’t be done from A to Z, it’s an endless process. You can do it for months, years. Now the main thing for me is that Medvedeva is getting better, I see it. I really want to show the public the work of our choreographer David Wilson. Everyone who see the programs liked them very much. Sandra Bezik helped us to do the short program, and David even volunteered to come with us to Moscow.

In your opinion, is Zhenya ready to skate these programs in public?

– It is clear that at this stage performance may be imperfect, but no one expects the figure skater to be perfect in the first days of September. I can see how much Zhenya is worried about this, because she is a perfectionist by nature, but this is a good excitement that makes the skater concentrate on what he does.

Do you plan to show the programs with all the jumps?

– In this respect, I would put the question a little differently: we are going to skate at the maximum that is possible at the moment. With more run-throughs and getting shape, it’s possible that something will look different. This applies not only to jumping, but also to choreography. In principle, our training system has already been well developed – so trained Kim Yuna, Javi (Fernandez). We don’t have such that here we jump, here we skate and here we dance: we work on all aspects of skating at the same time.

Is Zhenya an easy student?

– Yes, very. She is always open to everything new, she knows how to work with very high intensity. The difficulty is that they have never worked with her like with an adult, and this is exactly what we are doing now. Junior work is completely different, so adaptation also takes time.

I know that in her former group a lot was built on the constant competition of a large number of athletes on one ice.

– The competition in our club is also high, but it is different. When there are many athletes around you, each of whom constantly strives to be better than himself a very special atmosphere arises. The competition motivates, but at the same time it is very benevolent and I would say inspiring: no one is afraid to make a mistake, because there are many people around who know how to help and who are always ready to support. I am very pleased with the fact that Medvedeva hasn’t only fitted in, but also likes it very much.

On Thursday, you spent your first training in Novogorsk at an early time. Do you feel the consequences of long flight and acclimatization?

– Taking into account what you said, I think that Zhenya had a crazy training, a stunning one. She didn’t quite successfully make two jumps, and I saw that it upset her. But for me as a coach, it was important that even in not hte best state in terms of freshness she kept very high speed and freshness of the skating, a good presentation on the ice. The peculiarity of Medvedeva’s skating is that she constantly tries to make the audience love her. And she succeeds. As a coach I see it at every training session and I’m absolutely in love with Zhenya.

Did you train in the general group?

– There were no girls from Medvedeva’s former group on the ice, if that’s what you are talking about. As far as I know, they will start training in Novogorsk only on Friday, but that’s good: we have time to warn-up in a calm atmosphere, get used to the atmosphere. When all come together the situation will certainly become more nervous, but it’s good. We are ready for this.
Original article https://rsport.ria.ru/figure_skating/20180906/1141329480.html

Tinami Amori

Old friend attacked her, tried to steal her phone. He beat her in the face and started strangling her. She got away.
President of the Federation of figure skating Russia Alexander Gorshkov denied the information that the Russian figure skater Sofya Polishchuk was beaten in Moscow. Earlier Mash channel in Telegram reported that the athlete was beaten by a friend after training. He allegedly tried to snatch the phone from her, struck several blows on his face and tried to strangle the girl.

"I instructed to understand the situation when we read this news. According to our information, nothing happened. Sophia was in training today, with her everything is ok, "- quotes Gorshkov's" RIA Novosti. "

https://www.championat.com/other/new...-porjadke.html

Well thank goodness for that.
Sofia and some guy, which she is or was dating at the rink, had a brawl. She posted on her social media few fotos with some other (new) guy, and the first guy wanted her to erase them. She would not, so he tried to yank the phone out of her hands to erase the "new guy", some "blows" were exchanged. Sofia got pissed off and contacted the police with a "battery report".

Yellow press journalists often pay the police stations to send them the "juicy news" so the story got into the press. Gorshkov heard about it, got involved, Sofia pulled the battery report to avoid further scandal, so all is done with.

DobrinFan

Roster for test skates Provided by Tatjana Flade.
http://sh.uploads.ru/PkKqv.jpg

Mikhail Kolyada, Sergei Voronov, Alexei Erokhov, Alexander Samarin, Dmitry Aliev, Arthur Dmitriev, Andrei Lazukin;
Alina Zagitova, Evgenia Medvedeva, Elizaveta Tuktamysheva, Maria Sotskova,
Elena Radionova, Darya Panenkova, Stanislava Konstantinova, Polina Tsurskaya, Sofya Samodurova;
Evgenia Tarasova / Vladimir Morozov, Natalia Zabiyako / Alexander Enbert, Darya Pavlyuchenko / Denis Khodykin, Alexandra Boykova / Dmitry Kozlovsky, Alisa Efimova / Alexander Korovin;
Alexandra Stepanova / Ivan Bukin, Betina Popova / Sergei Mozgov, Sofya Evdokimova / Yegor Bazin, Victoria Sinitsyna / Nikita Katsalapov, Anastasia Shpilevaya / Grigory Smirnov, Annabelle Morozov / Andrey Bazin

DimaToe

Retired by Frank Carroll
Im very surprised Tuktamysheva is continuing, although maybe Samodurova going senior is the push she needs.

hanca

Values her privacy
I am not sure how much she trained over the summer. Her photos posted online shows a lot of travelling, then the wedding. The impression I had was that she filled her days with non skating activities, so it wouldn’t surprise me she isn’t ready. But she doesn’t have GP events, so if she spends the next three months training, she could be ready for nationals, Europeans and worlds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information