From Russia with love [#29]: Spring 2018 and beyond

Status
Not open for further replies.

alchemy void

Post-its for the win.
Have any of our fantastic Russian posters heard any chatter about any of the ladies switching countries this upcoming season? I remember rumors about Samodurova and Sakhanovich possibly switching. Have we heard about anyone else or anything further?

Particularly Samodurova. I think she's fabulous and definitely has a chance at making the Russian Euros team sometime this upcoming quad, but greedily I'd love to just be able to see her all the time. :shuffle:

Tinami Amori

Have any of our fantastic Russian posters heard any chatter about any of the ladies switching countries this upcoming season? I remember rumors about Samodurova and Sakhanovich possibly switching. Have we heard about anyone else or anything further?

Particularly Samodurova. I think she's fabulous and definitely has a chance at making the Russian Euros team sometime this upcoming quad, but greedily I'd love to just be able to see her all the time. :shuffle:
Samodurova is as before with Mishin and it is highly unlikely she would leave Mishin to move to some obscure location.

Sakhanovich left Plushenko's Academy (Mow), on good terms, to move back to St. Pete (to be with her parents at home). She is now "a top skater" in Angelina Turenko's group (after Gubanova left). As of March 9th they are working on the next season.
https://www.vesti.ru/doc.html?id=2997053
https://rsport.ria.ru/figure_skating/20180319/1134317298.html

There was some fan-gossips few years back that Sakhanovich can skate for Israel (hypothetically)... but not from her.

hanca

Values her privacy
Are they good?

Is Sopot the one who dumped his partner Borisova after they had a lot of success?
Yes, Sopot used to skate with Borisova.
Well, they are not completely useless, but they were not great yet. They were good enough to easily qualify to the nationals, but placed 8 out of 12. They were 3rd and 2nd at JGP and 6th at JGPF. Throughout the season they were not marking that great because they were not getting the levels (spins, death spiral), the elements were not earning enough GOE and there was a number of things like spins or jumps not being synchronised... Nothing seriously wrong with their skating, but not quite at the top yet. It doesn’t help them that the level of junior pairs in Russia so dramatically increased, so one needs to be so much better to get to the top than it was a few years ago. For comparison, several times during the season they were beaten by Panfilova/Rylov who don’t have triple jumps but have all other elements at the top level. That must have hurt! But I think Poliyanova/Sopot could be good in the future. All those little things, it doesn’t seem like something that couldn’t be fixed. They already look like a senior couple, she has already an adult body so they could last.

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
I remember rumors about Samodurova and Sakhanovich possibly switching. Have we heard about anyone else or anything further?
There were never such rumours. Samodurova skated to a Jewish song and interpreted it well, Sakhanovich may or may not be Jewish. Both reasons are enough to spark `will she switch to Israel' talks on the forums. AFAIK it was never more.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Yes, Sopot used to skate with Borisova.
Well, they are not completely useless, but they were not great yet. They were good enough to easily qualify to the nationals, but placed 8 out of 12. They were 3rd and 2nd at JGP and 6th at JGPF. Throughout the season they were not marking that great because they were not getting the levels (spins, death spiral), the elements were not earning enough GOE and there was a number of things like spins or jumps not being synchronised... Nothing seriously wrong with their skating, but not quite at the top yet. It doesn’t help them that the level of junior pairs in Russia so dramatically increased, so one needs to be so much better to get to the top than it was a few years ago. For comparison, several times during the season they were beaten by Panfilova/Rylov who don’t have triple jumps but have all other elements at the top level. That must have hurt! But I think Poliyanova/Sopot could be good in the future. All those little things, it doesn’t seem like something that couldn’t be fixed. They already look like a senior couple, she has already an adult body so they could last.

I had already asked in my post if be had dumped Borisova. Obviously i knew he used to skate with her. Sixth at JGPF doesn't sound that good to me. I thought he had placed higher with Borisova.

If they can land triples they may have a future. That is a must for any pair, even at the junior level.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
@alchemy void,
Anastasia Gubanova switched from Turenko to Buyanova.
Serafima Sakhanovich - from Plushenko to Turenko
Valeria Mikhailova - from Davydov (CSKA) to Plushenko (with Inna Goncharenko, who left CSKA few months ago).

Why did Sima leave Plushenko? I thought she did really well with him coaching her.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
There were never such rumours. Samodurova skated to a Jewish song and interpreted it well, Sakhanovich may or may not be Jewish. Both reasons are enough to spark `will she switch to Israel' talks on the forums. AFAIK it was never more.

Israel wasn't the only country mentioned in the rumors -- I also heard Poland and France brought up!

hanca

Values her privacy
I had already asked in my post if be had dumped Borisova. Obviously i knew he used to skate with her. Sixth at JGPF doesn't sound that good to me. I thought he had placed higher with Borisova.

If they can land triples they may have a future. That is a must for any pair, even at the junior level.
He did dump Borisova. Borisova was ill in the off season and then suddenly wasn’t able to do any triples. (As far as I know, before that she did have one triple). Poluyanova and Sopot have one triple and double axel. The fact that Poluyanova and Sopot are a couple off ice may have contributed to his decision to dump Borisova.
Borisova/ Sopot had better results than Poluyanova/Sopot, but to be fair, at that time the level of junior skating was lower. I loved Borisova/Sopot as a pair, but it probably wouldn’t be enough to get the results they got before. Although, one never knows. Panfilova/Rylov placed as the highest Russian junior pair without having any triples, so at junior level not everything is about triples. The quality of all other elements count too.

Ka3sha

Borisova was ill in the off season and then suddenly wasn’t able to do any triples. (As far as I know, before that she did have one triple).
No, unfortunately she didn’t have any triple jumps :(
But he still dumbed her in a bad way, when she was struggling with the consequences after meningitis.

Israel wasn't the only country mentioned in the rumors -- I also heard Poland and France brought up!
There were some rumors that another girl (Ekaterina Kurakova) may switch to Poland, but they were not confirmed..
Guess, we will see later in the off-season/ begging of the season

hanca

Values her privacy
No, unfortunately she didn’t have any triple jumps :(
But he still dumbed her in a bad way, when she was struggling with the consequences after meningitis.
She did have one triple. If I recall correctly, they didn’t do it in competition, but she said in one interview (or was it on her ASK) that they worked on it the whole previous season. She was landing it before her illness, but not after her illness.

Tinami Amori

There were some rumors that another girl (Ekaterina Kurakova) may switch to Poland, but they were not confirmed..
Guess, we will see later in the off-season/ begging of the season
:D as of December 2017, Kurakova is the new "start discovery" of Ilya Averbuch. He selected her for his "Alice in Wonderland" show, and predicting her "a big future".
https://7days.ru/news/eksklyuziv-ilya-averbukh-otkryl-novuyu-zvezdu-figurnogo-kataniya.htm
https://life.ru/t/шоу/1066234/v_moskvie_priedstavili_ispolnitielnitsu_ghlavnoi_roli_v_shou_alisa_v_stranie_chudies

Tinami Amori

Some-what interesting situation with “Skating Academy of Champions” started by Ilinyh/Lipnitskaya/Miroshkin. Tver’ skating club invited Ilinyh/Miroshkin to run a master-class (Lip is not with them).

https://tverisport.ru/news/tverskay...ent-s-akademiej-chempionov-ilinyh-lipnitskoj/
https://tvtver.ru/news/olimpijskaya...rovela-master-klass-dlya-tverskih-figuristov/

Lipnitskaya, on the other hand, took off to “vacation in Sochi” and is now in the news for “her foto of healthy chest”.. :lol:
https://www.eg.ru/sport/504207/

… it’s off season after all.. :D

Mad for Skating

Depends if they will be coached by Moskvina or by Vasiliev. Moskvina has been successful with Boikova/Kozlovski, but Osipova/Tarasenko were not that great, and Efimova/Korovin have not progressed much either.

I love Moskvina's tasteful style, so hopefully she'll pass along some nice programs to them (and work with Tarasova/Morozov while we're at it!). And I do believe in Efimova/Korovin - she has so much sparkle, and with a little time I think they could be promising.

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
A long interview with Bobrova/Deputat
editing as I listen:
Deputat does want to come back, he is searching for a partner and an opportunity to go back competing. He passed the judging tests and can judge. Bobrova fully supports his decision (can he skate with Ilushechkina?)
Deputat is a huge Jackson fan
Bobrova has a vocabulary of a cool teenager. Which doesn't really go with her age/looks
Bobrova talking about the haters comments in her social media.
Bobrova doesn't want to become a coach nor a judge. She had a slight experience of commenting for which she prepared a lot and she hopes it went well (did anyone listen? Was she any good?). She hopes to have an opportunity to skate with Soloviev in the shows such as Averbukh's `R&J' etc - she wants to play a role. She really really really wants to participate the `Skating with the stars' show.
Bobrova has no plans and no desire going into politics. She has her point of view and no one will let her have one there.
Bobrova doesn't know how to make the ice dance more understandable for the fans. The sport is very subjective, the judge can claim they didn't see the edge and there is nothing to argue about. The lvls can go from 2nd to 4th and back within 2 weeks and you can never tell why.

Last edited:

Ka3sha

She had a slight experience of commenting for which she prepared a lot and she hopes it went well (did anyone listen? Was she any good?).
She commented Ice Dance event at Worlds, I re-watched few dances on YouTube with her commentary later - she seems to be better than Ilinykh and even managed to silence Iolanda Chen (very talkative woman, who did commentary on MatchTV during the Olympics)

Last edited:

Anyasnake

Bobrova doesn't know how to make the ice dance more understandable for the fans. The sport is very subjective, the judge can claim they didn't see the edge and there is nothing to argue about. The lvls can go from 2nd to 4th and back within 2 weeks and you can never tell why.
You'd hope after almost a decade and a half of IJS you'd understand, but you should be able to hear it from the Tech Panel, especially when it's a crucial competition.

To the FSUers living in Russia : is Ice Dance still very popular ? Among the 4 category, where does it ranks in terms of popularity ? And between all the top Russian teams this years, who is the most appreciated ?
(Thank you in advance !)

shah

Shhh... shhh...
A long interview with Bobrova/Deputat
editing as I listen:

Bobrova doesn't want to become a coach nor a judge. She had a slight experience of commenting for which she prepared a lot and she hopes it went well (did anyone listen? Was she any good?).

She was really good! She was commenting for Match Arena, together with Yolanda Chen (who is absolutely unbearable at times). And she set some firm rules at the very beginning of the broadcast: "I don't talk during the actual performances" :). Plus she was very informative, even though she had a few lapses pronouncing the names ;). Not to mention the soothing tone of her voice. If she actually decides to retire, I wish she'd start a new career in commenting!

shah

Shhh... shhh...
She commented Ice Dance event at Worlds, I re-watched few dances on YouTube with her commentary later - she seems to be better than Ilinykh and even managed to silenced Iolanda Chen (very talkative woman, who did commentary on MatchTV during the Olympics)

Ha, I didn't notice your post :). Indeed, it's quite a challenge to silence Yolanda, but Katia succeeded :D.

Ka3sha

I think it is not secret in Russia,everybody talks about Trankov as their new coach
I have no idea where this comes from.
There were rumors that they are switching from Hekalo to Zhovnirsky, but nothing about Trankov.
And I’m not sure if he wants to coach full-time right now , and I’m not even talking about his lack of experience..

Last edited:

whiteskates

Trankov? So far we have not seen anything from him as a coach but as far as I remember he was the one who chose the music and did the choreography for them skating to "Hallo" which was not a good choice at all. If the rumours are true, I'm not sure what to expect from T/M next season. I was hoping they'd go to Moskvina.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information