From Russia with love [#28]: Autumn to Winter 2017

SamuraiK

They are too young. I think Klimov needs an experienced partner, so they can challenge for medals in a couple years.

I agree but if that's the case he will have to "steal" Zabijako from Enbert or go for a foreign partner. There no one else.

hanca

Values her privacy
I agree but if that's the case he will have to "steal" Zabijako from Enbert or go for a foreign partner. There no one else.
Zabijako is very tall for a pair skater. While Enbert is tall to so it works well for them, I am not sure if she wouldn’t be too tall for Klimov. Saying that, I don’t think he needs an experienced pair skater. Hotarek got Marchei to competitive state within a year. Russia has many single skaters so he would be able to choose and even if it took two years rathr than just one year, it is doable.

Lovemyvike

Mozer said they will retire; the journalist who is friends with Klimov called Klimov for a quite and got an answer Klimov is not thinking about retiring. So far no one bothered to ask Stolbova. It's not as if it would be the first time Mozer speaks without thinking/asking

Very true!

RomyNL

Well, Trankov was less kind :D
http://tass.ru/sport/4951153

I don't get, so many things happening, they really don't have anything else to write about? Really?

Trankov is not bothered about being politically correct, is he? ;-)

"I would recommend her (Wagner) to learn by the age of 30 how to fully rotate her jumps and at least to win something before she starts criticizing other people" Ouch!

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover

I don't get, so many things happening, they really don't have anything else to write about? Really?
I have a feeling it's the `fab' journalistical work. It gets better:
Kudriavtsev: basically repeating what Wagner said, that it's the rules and that's how you gain points. Adding that it was not mature of Wagner talking about it. AFAIK Kudriavtsev doesn't know English and couldn't read Wagner's tweet, so assume the `professional' journalist made sure to give his personal interpretation of her post.
And then Mishin saying he does not like these rules and the elements should be more spread through the programme. Again, adding Wagner must be envious of Zagitova's results. Again, am questioning whether Mishin even read Wagner's tweet or was given a free translation.
Of course `The American is envious of the Russians' or `The American being immature' is a great article name that would make people click on that piece of erm... work.

I was sort of hopeful ria.ru would be more professional taking the big names such as Vaytsekhovskaya, Simonenko, Samokhvalov are working there, but, guess, while they are in Korea writing about biathlon/speed skating/ figure skating someone has to be left home on the phone with `Dear prof. Mishin, can you comment on that useless American saying this and that about our wonderful skater?'

julieann

Sad about S/K but not surprised. Aside form the Olympics they really never rose to the top level they could have, those pesky injury and nerves always got the best of them at the worst times.

As for Ashley Wagner, she was was on point with her criticism about Zagitova. It may have been an impressive point getter but from a choreography standpoint it was a pretty unbalanced and frenetic mess. They need to get rid of the bonus. If pairs don't have it, singles don't need it either.

MissIzzy

I was sort of hopeful ria.ru would be more professional taking the big names such as Vaytsekhovskaya, Simonenko, Samokhvalov are working there, but, guess, while they are in Korea writing about biathlon/speed skating/ figure skating someone has to be left home on the phone with `Dear prof. Mishin, can you comment on that useless American saying this and that about our wonderful skater?'

Ah, but that would be letting a Western woman get away with speaking her mind. Can't have that, can they? And I am not impressed that so far none of these men seem to think such a woman can have an opinion and not be just be jealous of their precious champion. It's almost enough to make one wonder if they're still scared of her.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Sad about S/K but not surprised. Aside form the Olympics they really never rose to the top level they could have, those pesky injury and nerves always got the best of them at the worst times.

As for Ashley Wagner, she was was on point with her criticism about Zagitova. It may have been an impressive point getter but from a choreography standpoint it was a pretty unbalanced and frenetic mess. They need to get rid of the bonus. If pairs don't have it, singles don't need it either.

I think pairs get the bonus for landing throws in the second half (someone correct me if that is not the case).

I believe the bonus rule was put in place to avoid front loading the program. Now some skaters are back loading it to get more points. It shows that the athlete can land jumps even when tired. Not evety skater is able to take advantage of the bonus, so it is a differentiator.

However, i don't see the point in giving bonus in the short program for That reason. OTOH skaters were front loading SP and i think the bonus discourages that (or encourages doing the jumps later). I believe the intent was to create more balanced programs..

I would like to see rule changes where skaters will do at least one jump in the first half of the SP and at least two jumps in the first half of the LP. It will create programs that are more balanced choreographically, and more estheticslly pleasing.

hanca

Values her privacy
I think making a rule that certain number of jumps have to be in first half and certain numbers in second half will lead to too prescriptive programs. Now some skaters do put all their jumps in the second half, but not many skaters because not everyone can afford to do that. So no programs are the same. If there are exact rules about how many jumps should be at which half of the program, what will come next? All programs will be the same and when is it going to end? Soon it will be that a jump must be every 20 seconds exactly? Are they robots?

julieann

Pairs don't get the bonus anymore.

She was smart to do it, it just was aesthetically pleasing balance wise.

morqet

rising like a phoenix
The problem isn't with the bonus, the problem is that Zagitova is getting 9s in PCS for flawed basic skating and bland choreography, so there is no incentive for her to work on the elements of her skating that could make the 2 minutes of the program without jumps more compelling.

skateboy

It's one thing for us FS fans to voice our opinions under an anonymous screen name, but it's quite another for a figure skater in the public eye to do it. If Ashley wants to further her reputation as the "Mouth of US Ladies' Figure Skating," that's her choice, but she'd better be willing to accept the feedback that comes along with it.

If she had Alina's skills and was capable of pulling off clean, backloaded programs, Ashley would be competing for a medal at the Olympics, without a doubt... except that she can't, and she isn't.

I agree with Trankov, 100%.

RomyNL

Ah, but that would be letting a Western woman get away with speaking her mind. Can't have that, can they? And I am not impressed that so far none of these men seem to think such a woman can have an opinion and not be just be jealous of their precious champion. It's almost enough to make one wonder if they're still scared of her.
Where did you see or read it was a woman/man matter?!?! Wagner was actually liked by Russian fans and Russian media throughout her career for her maturity and style of skating, similarly to Kostner. I am not sure if now she has any commercial potential left in Russia for shows or similar gigs

hanca

Values her privacy
On the other side of the coin, that's coming from someone who never had to rotate anything harder than a salchow, and at a few critical times, he couldn't even do that.
Perhaps, but he does have two Olympic gold medals and several worlds medals. He may not have needed more than two triples, but unlike Ashley he achieved in his discipline more than she did in hers.

IceAlisa

discriminating and persnickety ballet aficionado

Russian Twittersphere was totally apoplectic after that comment from Wagner. Apparently, you have to be able to skate on the level of Zagitova to comment. What do we know, lets close this place down, eys?

SLIVER

No more Lubov please! Such an over rated athlete, elegant, great extension etcetc but in 10 yrs she's not been able to land a solo triple, ditto for Bazarova...
As for stealing Zabijako, I don't think Klimov is better than Enbert, let's face it much of s/k success was due to Stolbova.

Re Zagitova, her pcs were hilarious, 10's and 9.75s, those judges are making a moCkery out of the sport. She deserved her win 100% but there was no need for any of those components.
Everyone on here was predicting her PCS were going to go through roof event on event but this is taking the piss...

Cherub721

YEAH!
On the other side of the coin, that's coming from someone who never had to rotate anything harder than a salchow, and at a few critical times, he couldn't even do that.

He had the jumps up to the Lutz but Maria and Tatiana didn't.

DimaToe

Retired by Frank Carroll
None of the judges can skate at the level of Zagitova, so does that mean they can’t have anything but positive thoughts about Zagitova? Alina is talented and smart in the way she works the system, but Her programs are not balanced, it’s about racking up points and not telling a story. Which she is free to do, but she should not be getting the components above 9 in anything if that’s the case.

Same issue with Trankov if we’re keeping it real. Other than the Masquarade Waltz SP. every other program of theirs was so beneath his and Tatiana’s abilities yet they received the PCS of innovators.

shady82

I don't know what Ashley's motive is for voicing her opinion so much, and I cannot say I agree with everything she says. Perhaps she expresses her opinions when she feels like it, and for no other reason, and doesn't give a f***. And as long as she isn't openly insulting people, it's totally fine.

poths

No more Lubov please! Such an over rated athlete, elegant, great extension etcetc but in 10 yrs she's not been able to land a solo triple, ditto for Bazarova...
As for stealing Zabijako, I don't think Klimov is better than Enbert, let's face it much of s/k success was due to Stolbova.

Re Zagitova, her pcs were hilarious, 10's and 9.75s, those judges are making a moCkery out of the sport. She deserved her win 100% but there was no need for any of those components.
Everyone on here was predicting her PCS were going to go through roof event on event but this is taking the piss...
ALL of this.
RE: Klimov. If he goes looking for another partner, it will be like when Maria Mukhortova thought she could do shit without Trankov. I'm more interested in the WHO gets Soloviev question. Has to be Ilnykh? Surely!

SLIVER

ALL of this.
RE: Klimov. If he goes looking for another partner, it will be like when Maria Mukhortova thought she could do shit without Trankov. I'm more interested in the WHO gets Soloviev question. Has to be Ilnykh? Surely!

You can imagine how messy things got with Ilinykh/K and Morozov for the fed to let them break up but I'm sure they've learnt their lesson now and it's going to S/Bukin support 1000% and whichever is the best junior. I can't imagine we are going to go back to try and wait/push for a new Soloviev team.
With the depth there is around the world now, Russia can't just waltz in with a new team and have them as medal in contenders anymore. I think the failed Ilinykh /Zhighanshin project proved that.

poths

You can imagine how messy things got with Ilinykh/K and Morozov for the fed to let them break up but I'm sure they've learnt their lesson now and it's going to S/Bukin support 1000% and whichever is the best junior. I can't imagine we are going to go back to try and wait/push for a new Soloviev team.
With the depth there is around the world now, Russia can't just waltz in with a new team and have them as medal in contenders anymore. I think the failed Ilinykh /Zhighanshin project proved that.
True.
Remind me how Morozov is still allowed to coach?

rfisher

Let the skating begin
I don't think he has any Russian skaters apart from his kid since his wife abandoned her short lived career in dance. He does a lot of choreography, but I'm trying to think of a skater he's coaching other than Wea/Po. Maybe a junior or two??

DobrinFan

I don't think he has any Russian skaters apart from his kid since his wife abandoned her short lived career in dance. He does a lot of choreography, but I'm trying to think of a skater he's coaching other than Wea/Po. Maybe a junior or two??

The Aussie skater Brendan Kerry.

caseyedwards

Why does Russia support Bukin anymore. Who says he is allowed in Beijing? Where’s the evidence? Supporting him out of stubbornness would be a huge mistake! It’s not like they aren’t doing that now but whatever got him banned is probably not going to change! Maybe they allow him a second chance if he decided not to cooperate with the ITA before Pyeongchang.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information