Fire in Notre Dame Cathedral

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
Parts of the roof and the tall spire have collapsed and they can't get it under control. This is just gut wrenching.

Beyond gut wrenching! Some outlets are saying they don't think they can save it. It just unbelievable!

MsZem

I see the sea
Authorities still don't know if any of the cathedral can be salvaged.

That some of the artwork is safe, and no loss of life is certainly a consolation. Also that unlike similar disasters in the past, the cathedral is well-documented in various media.

But it's always amazing to walk through cities and buildings with so much history, and think of all the people who had gone there before. That sense of history, sadly, cannot be replaced.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
This is heartbreaking. I've always wanted to see the cathedral in person...I'm so sorry for the people of Paris. :(

What a loss. Gutted! No matter what, it will not be the same. I love to go to ancient places and walk where people walked thousands of years ago. There is nothing quite like that feeling.

NOTRE DAME CATHEDRAL, PARIS

Notre Dame de Paris is arguably the most famous religious monument in the world and widely considered one of the finest examples of French Gothic architecture. The cathedral suffered desecration during the radical phase of the French Revolution in the 1790s, when much of its religious imagery was damaged or destroyed. During the 19th century, an extensive restoration project was completed, returning the cathedral to its previous state. The stain glass windows are breathtakingly beautiful.

NOTRE DAME CATHEDRAL, CHARTRES - scroll down the link above.

Located in the medieval town of Chartres, about 50 miles north of Paris, this cathedral is one of the greatest achievements in the history of architecture. Moreover, it is almost perfectly preserved in its original design and details, giving its visitors an image of how it looked like when it was built. Chartres’ extensive cycle of portal sculpture remains fully intact and its glowing stained-glass are all originals. In addition to its architectural splendor, the cathedral has been a major pilgrimage destination since the early Middle Ages.

Lanie

the uberdom chooses YOU
Losing this history is a tragedy for mankind. I've never been, unfortunately. And now I never will.

At least the treasures have been saved, but the stained glass, hundreds and hundreds of years old, gone...

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I am watching it. It looks horrible. I remember seeing Notre Dame many years ago. I was lucky.

I hope it can be saved.

Lorac

The fire-chief in Paris is certainly being very pessimistic - they are worried they will be unable to stop the fire spreading unabated. The bell towers may well not survive at this rate. Concrete may not burn but the heat can weaken the structure and cause it to collapse :(

millyskate

Glad to hear no one died...

Do they not have firefighting helicopters there?
They made the judgement call that their use would like cause the whole structure to collapse.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but one always wonders - as with Grenfell - if it might not have been better to take the hit with regards to the damage caused and prevent the fire from spreading further. There is also a French legal clause which means that the pilots of the "canadairs" ie fire-fighting planes are personally lenally responsible for any damage caused, hence them not being used in urban areas. I do not know if this extends to firefighting helicopters.

Lanie

the uberdom chooses YOU
Reports indicate that one fire-fighter has been seriously injured during the fighting of the fire :(

Prayers for the firefighter and their recovery.

I'm glad to hear the structure can be saved or is being saved.

The video of people singing Ave Maria made me cry.

becca

It seems the main structure can be salvaged. But a fire-fighter has been severely injured.

It will take decades to rebuild this. I'm old enough that I will never see Notre Dame de Paris whole again :(

Oh during Holy Week too!! So sad I am so sorry of course at most for the French people. The loss of art and cultural treasure. The labor of love it took to build it.

However I am of course thankful for no loss of life. She will forever life in the Hearts of all who saw Her and the structure saved.

millyskate

The bishop explained that the firefighters had to climb the towers and took a lot of risks. The biggest risk was the lead melting and falling in large chunks.

A tv station interviewed a catholic man who works as caretaker for a neighbouring building and regularly attended the church, expressing his feelings about not wanting to waste the pain "I'm going to stay and watch because especially in this beginning of holy week, I can't make the economy of a time of meditation".

cocotaffy

Fetchez la vache... mais fetchez la vache !
Unbelievable work by the firefighters who risked their lives to rescue artifacts and salvage the towers even though this inferno was burning at 800 degrees celsius. I have looked for any information on wounded firefighters and so far one lightly wounded, I hope that is all.

ballettmaus

It sounds like the fire is under control enough so that fire fighters can now fight it from the inside.

The pictures once day breaks will be devastating.

mjb52

This is so sad I can hardly stand to read about it! Just really heartbreaking. I'm grateful for everything that was saved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information