Figure Skating Baby News!

Lanie

the uberdom chooses YOU
Meagan with her 'naturopathic doctor' aka quack, and 'C-section births are inferior' mindset, makes me want to throw things. That's so, so toxic and dangerous. Also the insinuation formula feeding is inferior. $#%#$%$@

I'm sorry she had such a rough time but yikes, it's like all the toxicity of mommy blogs and add veganism. I hope she comes to peace with it all and realizes it was not inferior but necessary to save her baby's life--but I know too many women who don't and instead think they somehow failed and use it to beat themselves up the rest of their lives.

annie_mg

Will you give her a break..she has every right to feel disappointed if she had envisioned another way of giving birth. Just like breastfeeding grief (not insinuating formula is bad!!), some women have a hard time letting go when things don't go like they had imagined. I am sure her post will resonate with many, vegans or not.

Khaleesi

Caesareans save countless of lives both mothers and infants. I would say in Meghan’s case it was a necessity. However, the c-section rate is continuing to increase because women that don’t need them are being made to get them and more often than not it has nothing to do with the health of the baby or mother. For many doctors it’s just more convenient to have a c-section scheduled than follow the unpredictability of a natural birth. Unfortunately, it’s something I’ve witnessed firsthand in my rotations. A caesarean is a major surgery and shouldn’t be elected for convenience of the physician. Anyway, congrats to Meghan and Bruno!

Japanfan

Although I can't help but feel offended that Meagan feels that a C-section is a a lesser form of giving birth. :shuffle:

If she does, I'm sure she is aware that this is how she feels, not how other women should feel.

I can understand that a woman who was prepared for and looking forward to a natural birth would be really disappointed if she had to deliver by C-section. It's personal. My niece's one wish when she had her first child was to have an epidural, and it worked out that she could have one.

Also the insinuation formula feeding is inferior. $#%#$%$@

The La Leche League hounded my sister when she was not able to breastfeed.

I've not had children myself and don't have an opinion on whether 'breast is best'. But obviously, what's most important is that a baby is nourished and thriving. Some women can't breast feed or choose not to (one woman I know chose not to because she didn't want to give up all the spicy Indian food she enjoyed - apparently she would have to). And some women just don't have healthy milk.

I'm sorry she had such a rough time but yikes, it's like all the toxicity of mommy blogs and add veganism.

I don't see what being a vegan has to do with Megan's choice, really. Maybe there is a connection between preferring natural foods and preferring a natural birth. For some women. But I do not know that any actual correlation can be found regarding this (would need to do research).

Will you give her a break..she has every right to feel disappointed if she had envisioned another way of giving birth. Just like breastfeeding grief (not insinuating formula is bad!!), some women have a hard time letting go when things don't go like they had imagined. I am sure her post will resonate with many, vegans or not.

It resonates with my far from vegan self. I wouldn’t describe my c-section as an inferior birth but it certainly wasn’t what I wanted and was much more traumatic in many ways than my difficult with complications vaginal birth. I also couldn’t hold my baby for almost 24 hours after he was born which was so hard. It’s all I wanted to do but it wasn’t possible and in the whirlwind of postpartum hormones I felt like such a failure. The pseudoscience quackery in her account definitely makes me roll my eyes but beyond that the experience of a mom that just wants to care for her child in the best way she knows how in a difficult situation is very relatable. Meagan is also still pretty close to the experience so I’m willing to cut her a lot of slack. Having a newborn is hard, having a difficult birth is hard, becoming a mom can be hard. It’s a lot to process.

Japanfan

The pseudoscience quackery in her account definitely makes me roll my eyes but beyond that the experience of a mom that just wants to care for her child in the best way she knows how in a difficult situation is very relatable.

Are you referring to acupuncture, chiropractics, midwifery and naturopathy as quackery? In all cases, I would disagree. They may be alternative in the sense of being non-western treatments or non-traditional Western treatments, but that doesn't mean they are quackery. I have had acupuncture and found it tremendously helpful, for both pain relief and detoxification. And it was a chiropractor who fixed me up when I had a groin injury.

Those professionals often study as long as traditional medical professionals. It takes as long to become a chiropractor as it does a medical doctor, or almost as long. Universities here offer degrees in mid-wifery. Keep in mind, mid-wives or their equivalent took care of pregnant women long the advent of western science.

Megan did not have healing touch or crystal therapy, both of which I consider quackery. I do believe that certain people have a healing touch. My chiropractor certainly has a healing touch. But I just don't believe that there is anything particularly valuable or 'magical' in a person waving their arms about in order to manipulate energy fields and thereby help a person to heal. Add to that, anyone can do healing touch, it does not require years of schooling. And anyone can do crystal therapy, which is pseudo-therapy.

JMHO.

Last edited:

MsZem

I see the sea
It resonates with my far from vegan self. I wouldn’t describe my c-section as an inferior birth but it certainly wasn’t what I wanted and was much more traumatic in many ways than my difficult with complications vaginal birth. I also couldn’t hold my baby for almost 24 hours after he was born which was so hard. It’s all I wanted to do but it wasn’t possible and in the whirlwind of postpartum hormones I felt like such a failure. The pseudoscience quackery in her account definitely makes me roll my eyes but beyond that the experience of a mom that just wants to care for her child in the best way she knows how in a difficult situation is very relatable. Meagan is also still pretty close to the experience so I’m willing to cut her a lot of slack. Having a newborn is hard, having a difficult birth is hard, becoming a mom can be hard. It’s a lot to process.
Yes, Meagan is sharing her experience, not claiming that it's universal. It's perfectly normal to be disappointed that the birth you envisioned isn't what ended up happening, even if rationally you know that the baby's health is what matters. Like you wrote, postpartum hormones and the experience of becoming a parent are a lot to deal with.

As for the alternative methods, they might be worthless but it doesn't seem harmful to her or to anyone else. At best you'd get a placebo effect, and at worst it'll change nothing. Who cares? She feels that she did everything she could for herself and her baby, and that's what matters.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
Maybe the problem was that someone filled her head with the notion that childbirth is "a magical and beautiful experience." I've never done it and even I know that it's a messy and painful experience! With a magical and beautiful result, but still. I sometimes wonder if all the "disappointed with my birth story" posts I've read come from unreasonable expectations beforehand. Again, I can't speak from experience -- and I tend to be pretty practical and unsentimental about certain things -- but I would think a good birth story is a birth story where they get the kid out of you and everyone's healthy.

Still, everyone's entitled to her own feelings, and I'm sure the intensity of the whole thing can really mess with a person's head.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Are you referring to acupuncture, chiropractics, midwifery and naturopathy as quackery? In all cases, I would disagree. They may be alternative in the sense of being non-western treatments or non-traditional Western treatments, but that doesn't mean they are quackery. I have had acupuncture and found it tremendously helpful, for both pain relief and detoxification. And it was a chiropractor who fixed me up when I had a groin injury.
Chiropractic and acupuncture perform no better than placebos in studies. It doesn't matter how long they study. Also, if you read what "adjustments" supposedly do and how it's all supposed to work, it's pretty woo-woo.

I had to laugh when she claimed that reflexology was 'scientifically proven'. Only if you get your science from Natural News. Actual science says: debunked!

Who cares?
Well, she wrote a public blog post and now the public is commenting. That's how these things work.

skategal

Bunny mama
I've never given birth but I can imagine that faced with one daunting task (labour and delivery) and then being told that instead you need an emergency C-section, which is major surgery with a much longer recovery than vaginal birth, would be very upsetting for sure.

MsZem

I see the sea
Well, she wrote a public blog post and now the public is commenting. That's how these things work.
Who cares = why do people feel the need to criticize the thoughts and experiences of a new mother? She'd not harming anyone, she's not being negative about other people. If her post helps someone, great. If not, surely there are better things to criticize?

Japanfan

Chiropractic and acupuncture perform no better than placebos in studies. It doesn't matter how long they study. Also, if you read what "adjustments" supposedly do and how it's all supposed to work, it's pretty woo-woo.

I would probably question the studies and want to take a close look at them. So would many others who have benefited from the treatments. Also, 'alternative' (including Chinese) treatments (though I don't think of chiropractrics as such myself) don't get the same attention from medical researchers as traditional treatments and there is a degree of bias against them. However, my chiropractor says she gets many referrals from doctors - more than she did when she started her practice about 10 years ago.

I know the difference between limping with terrible pain in my groin and having that healed after a few sessions with my chiropractor. I am sure it was not a placebo effect, and it wasn't magic. And this chiropractor is the daughter of another chiropractor that Mr. Japanfan used to see (they share a practice). Mr. Japanfan had back issues for years, and his chiro always helped him tremendously.

I am seeing a physiotherapist now for my hip -as advised by my chiropractor - and find the work he is doing much simpler than what my chiropractor does. I could get the exercises he gives me on the internet, but think it's best to see him in person.

Last edited:

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
Before we get off the topic of alternative medicine, whatever one's views, a good book on the subject is The Magic Feather Effect.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I'm not going to derail the thread. But if someone posts something in a public blog that I have an issue with, I'm going to say so. That's how it works. I used to have a blog and people would comment on it. If I didn't want the public to do that I wouldn't write about that topic.

Finnice

I can relate to Meagan's feelings even I don't think a mother can ever fail in childbirth. I have done it twice, both times without any medication but the warm shower with the first kid. It was my own decision. But with the second baby they were already starting to prepare me to the c-section (which I would have hated) when the very experienced midwife told them I was ready to give vaginal birth.

Every woman has right to decide which way they try to give birth. It is not always possible, like in Meagan's case. And yes childbirth can be magical and beautiful and painful and messy at the same time. It is a wonder, anyway!

Sylvia

TBD

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information